Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,704 members, 7,865,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 05:47 AM

Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend (738 Views)

How To Live With a contentious woman / Rest In Peace Vivianc. / May The Soul Of My Mother Rest In Peace. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by Sunsamthy(m): 5:44pm On Sep 05, 2014
Everybody looks forward to the weekend for many reasons. For adults, the excitement could stem from the fact that they have ample time to sleep in on Saturday morning or simply because there is no deadline. For children, it is the time they have to catch up with other kids in the neighbourhood and run around without any care in the world.

Saturdays and Sundays are one of the most cherished days of the week because then, you are free from the hustle and bustle of the week. Interestingly, they are the days that most people engage in unhealthy habits the most.

In fact, for some peopel, it is the time for them to engage in excessive drinking and partying. Others just sit at the television, watching soap operas for hours while snacking on fried, fatty foods; while many more have loaded theirs with social activities.

Healthy living experts say that not giving the body the rest that it deserves during the weekend increases stress levels, weakens the body’s immunity levels and predisposes one to sicknesses and diseases.

Family physician, Dr. Adeola Mohammed, notes that the weekends are the days that one should use to manage stress and also help the body to get back in shape and form.

According to him, the body needs at least 72 hours of long rest to rejuvenate and also produce some vital cells.

Mohammed says, “There are a thousand metabolic processes in the body functioning at an accelerated pace when you are working, thinking and generally when you are busy. Adrenaline production is also highest when you are up and doing. You need to slow your pace on your days off to allow the body function normally again.

“Your body cannot be on alert all week; that is why you need to basically rest and relax in the true sense of the word when you are free. The body needs eight hours of sleep and five hours of relaxation each day, but how many people have that opportunity with their work schedule?

“When you fill your weekends with too many activities, you feel tired and stressed out on Monday. You won’t be able to give your best because you did not rest mentally and physically. “You need to sleep as much as you can during the weekends to boost your memory during the week.”

Sleep also affects quality of life. Several studies support the doctor’s position on the need to rest. A 2010 study of women ages 50 to 79 in the United Kingdom shows that more deaths occurred in women who got less than five hours or more than those who had eight hours of sleep each night.

Getting preoccupied with activities that add nothing to the quality of one’s life all through Saturday and Sunday will only increase one’s stress levels and increase one’s risk of many diseases, including stroke, high blood pressure and some neurological disorders.

You can add these activities to your plans this weekend. They would help you feel better and live longer!

Go for long walks

It is tempting to spend Sunday sitting on the couch, watching football or catching up on your favourite TV shows. Instead, take a long walk alone or with your kids. Take advantage of the fact that you have free time and go for a hike, bike ride or swim. Use the day off for some calorie-burning activities that you can’t squeeze in mid week.

Go to bed early

Sleep makes you feel better, but its importance goes way beyond just boosting your mood or banishing under-eye circles. Adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more.

Not sleeping well is like parking a car in a garage and picking it up in the morning without checking the garage. Sleep deprivation often makes you eat more — about 500 extra calories a day — studies have found.

Maximise your weekend by unwinding and getting ready for bed early. Instead of splurging on a late-night food that you will regret, why don’t you head to bed early to squeeze in some extra sleep?
Re: Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
help me beg my brothers and sisters oh, we no sabi rest, weekends we will spend all morning in the market, all after noon and evening at a wedding or a birthday party or funeral party. Sunday after church there is another fellowship. Group meetings etc then we are tired again by Monday morning.

at least one weekend in a month sleep in, order food in ( this doesn't make you less of a wife) you and hubby get some good loving, take a morning walk, go watch a movie or take a stroll in the park, if there are no kids yet stay nak-ed the whole morning after church come home switch off your phones and sleep for at least 4 hours. Abeg rest is necessary not a luxury.
Re: Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by Godmystrength: 6:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
aisha2: help me beg my brothers and sisters oh, we no sabi rest, weekends we will spend all morning in the market, all after noon and evening at a wedding or a birthday party or funeral party. Sunday after church there is another fellowship. Group meetings etc then we are tired again by Monday morning.

at least one weekend in a month sleep in, order food in ( this doesn't make you less of a wife) you and hubby get some good loving, take a morning walk, go watch a movie or take a stroll in the park, if there are no kids yet stay nak-ed the whole morning after church come home switch off your phones and sleep for at least 4 hours. Abeg rest is necessary not a luxury.
na only this one i see o grin grin sad

1 Like

Re: Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 05, 2014
Godmystrength: na only this one i see o grin grin sad

Wooooooooooooo see yaself
Re: Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by Godmystrength: 6:46pm On Sep 05, 2014
aisha2:

Wooooooooooooo see yaself
yes na wink wink the guy go hear am this weekend. starting from this night sef

1 Like

Re: Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by shizzleStar: 8:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
^wetin u want tell d guy wey e go hear again? i suspect dis language walai. Chai.... these 2 aunts wan spoil me. Pls am a teenager'o undecided
Re: Want To Live Long? Get Some Rest This Weekend by Godmystrength: 9:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
shizzleStar: ^wetin u want tell d guy wey e go hear again? i
suspect dis language walai. Chai.... these 2 aunts wan spoil me. Pls am a
teenager'o undecided
grin he go see another dimension of nake.dness ni.
My little boy is spending weekend with my mum so you get my pointwink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Baby Survives After Being Trapped By Father's Dead Body / 10 Things No One Told You About Parenting / Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.