Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,132 members, 7,811,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine (23634 Views)

Liverpool Ladies Accept Arsenal Bid For Asisat Oshoala. / Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Asisat Oshoala Scores A Goal For Liverpool On Her Debut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 4:04am On Sep 07, 2014
IN1973, the people of Ikorodu rolled out a red carpet to celebrate one of their own, Modupe Osikoya, after she emerged the star athlete at the All-Africa Games, which Nigeria hosted for the first time in Lagos.

Several years on, another female star from the area has put the country, and indeed Africa, on the World map and the people have rolled out their drums in celebration.

For every sons and daughters of Ikorodu, the performance by Falconets star, Azeezat Oshoala, at the just concluded FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup in Canada is worth celebrating.

Oshoala, who was picked as the Best Player of the tournament and emerged the highest goal scorer with seven goals, was received at Ikorodu Town Hall yesterday by a large crowd of people, who came from far and within to celebrate the player.

The grand reception was organized by a member of the House of Representatives, Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who described the player as 'history maker.'

"First of all, the person we are celebrating here today is a woman," Dabiri-Erewa said. "She made all Nigerian women proud in Canada and we have to celebrate Oshoala and her family. In the history of Ikorodu, no person has taken us to this height in global football. We are very proud of what she did in Canada," she said.

Turning to the player, Dabiri-Erewa said: "We were robbed at the World Cup because I don't see anything wrong with the goal we scored against Germany, which could have won the game for Nigeria. By it doesn't matter. You are a true heroine and all Nigerian women are proud of you. By the Grace of God, you will bring more honours to the people of Ikorodu, Lagos State, the South-West and Nigeria in general."

Oshoala, who was companied by members of her family to the occasion, told The Guardian that she was so happy to be recognized in such a big way by her immediate community. "I must say a big thank you to my people for this great honour. I never expected it."

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 07, 2014
With the Canada 2014 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup over, Oshoala says her next target is to win the fast approaching African Women Championship (AWC) title with the senior national team, Super Falcons, in Namibia.

"I am happy for our collective and personal achievement in Canada, but I am praying and hoping that I will be part of the Super Falcons to the AWC in Namibia next month."

Two years ago, Oshoala was part of the Falconets team to the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup in Japan, but the country could not much impact. "I worked on every mistake I made in Japan two years ago and I am so happy it paid off in Canada. I listen to people around me and I take to every instruction given by my coach," she added.

The Rivers Angels of Port Harcourt striker said she made a promise never to fail her family and country in in whatever she do. "I went through some challenges when I was a child and I thank Allah for protecting me. I thank my teammates for helping me fulfill my dreams in Canada because everybody contributed to the success story. Maybe, we were not destined to win the trophy because we put up an impressive display against Germany in the final. It wasn't our day. Like I said, I will play my part if given the opportunity to play in the AWC in Namibia next month. It is a different ball game playing in the senior team, but I am hopeful we will win the trophy for Nigeria this time," Oshoala said.

At the occasion yesterday were top government functionaries, school children, market women and young female players from Ikorodu and its environs. Also in attendance was former Super Falcons midfielder, Ajumai Amen and her husband Peter Ottache. The ex-Super Falcons player, who has been Oshoala's manager since last year, attributed her success in Canada 2014 FIFA Women's World Cup to hard work and dedication to duty.

She disclosed that many European clubs have dangled carrots at Oshoala since she returned from Canada, but added that she would not let her join any foreign club until the AWC assignment in Namibia is concluded. "We made that mistake few years ago by allowing Desire Oparanozie to sign for a foreign club soon after a successful outing at the World Cup, but when it was time to play for Nigeria at the AWC, the club refused to release her. We won't make such mistake in the case of Oshoala. We will settle down and get the best foreign club for her," Mrs. Ottache added.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201409051528.html
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 4:47am On Sep 07, 2014
No pictures? This thread has crashed like Dana...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Tolexander: 4:49am On Sep 07, 2014
Nice!

No one celebrates failure but success. Give the best you have!

3 Likes

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by pussypounder(m): 5:51am On Sep 07, 2014
nice one ladies, i wan give one of those pretty mamas my chewing stick

5 Likes

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by CharlieMaria(m): 5:51am On Sep 07, 2014
Pictures or grin grin
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by alaladakosta(f): 5:51am On Sep 07, 2014
Who Cares

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by coded01: 5:52am On Sep 07, 2014
Nice one... grin grin grin

At least President decided to ignore them but the Lord won't ignore his own... cheesy --- I wish other states could do the same for their indigenous ones tongue but must we tribalise... angry

1 Like

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by timilehing(m): 5:53am On Sep 07, 2014
Wetin dis one kon dey do for FP? Seems mods drank too much yesternit. they're just moving irrelevant topics to FP this morning
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by datguru: 5:53am On Sep 07, 2014
undecided
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by CyberEBOLA(m): 5:54am On Sep 07, 2014
They are not jobless, but more than.
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Innodon(m): 5:54am On Sep 07, 2014
nice

1 Like

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by ignis: 5:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Nice...

One day, people will stand still for me. ..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Akshow: 5:57am On Sep 07, 2014
That is one very fantastic female footballer. I see her going to places.

But make she de careful with lagosians o before them way lay her house to steal the golden boot and mvp award.
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Akshow: 5:57am On Sep 07, 2014
That is one bery fantastic female footballer. I see her going to places.

But make she de careful with lagosians o before them way lay her house to steal the golden boot and mvp award.
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 07, 2014
How this made front page shocks me.

Morning Nairalanders.
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Atmmachine(m): 6:00am On Sep 07, 2014
Ok

10 Likes

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by GoldStandard: 6:00am On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by timilehing(m): 6:00am On Sep 07, 2014
Pinshure of the party or Adonbilivit.......
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by laurel03(m): 6:02am On Sep 07, 2014
Hope she gv her good gift...........dat is d koko
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Atmmachine(m): 6:02am On Sep 07, 2014
ignis: Nice...

One day, people will stand still for me. ..

You wish
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by tunshe: 6:04am On Sep 07, 2014
20pounds: No pictures? This thread has crashed like Dana...

The thread shall not die but live on front page. grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by tunshe: 6:10am On Sep 07, 2014
timilehing: Pinshure of the party or Adonbilivit.......

Lol! Please believe it grin

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Edipee(m): 6:12am On Sep 07, 2014
alaladakosta: Who Cares
I care, her family cares, Nigerians care, and the world cares. "STOP HATING! HATERS NEVER PROGRESS, APPRECIATE OTHERS, DISCOVER YOUR TALENT AND WAKE UP FROM YOUR SLUMBER. #WINNERS

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 6:12am On Sep 07, 2014
kennygee: How this made front page shocks me.

Morning Nairalanders.

Babe how body?
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Dotmas23(m): 6:15am On Sep 07, 2014
Pics or It Didn't Happen
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 07, 2014
smartchoice:

Babe how body?

E dey inside cloth o.

1 Like

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Nobody: 6:17am On Sep 07, 2014
I love this Oshoala like mad. So she is from Ikorodu. I am coming down to look for her.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by deebrain(m): 6:19am On Sep 07, 2014
The population of the pathetic keeps increasing in Nairaland.

See them hating on someone that has brought a sense of pride to Ikorodu.

If its one demonic celebration now, they will be quick to applaud it as African tradition.

Cats!!

angry

10 Likes

Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Lordave: 6:19am On Sep 07, 2014
I don't know why they keep moving news without prove to front page
Re: Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine by Akshow: 6:20am On Sep 07, 2014
tunshe:

Lol! Please believe it grin

see her father beeming with pride. So she is a Muslim? Wonderful! I never would have thought a Muslim gal will play football

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Messi Named Best International Men's Player At ESPY Awards. / A.S Roma Wins UEFA Europa Conference League / Algeria 3-0 Guinea: Mahrez’s Wonderful Goal Breaks 19-year Old Curse For Foxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.