Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn (3105 Views)

Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! / Mexico V Nigeria: FIFA U-17 World Cup (1 - 6) on 19 Oct 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by quadrillio(m): 3:29pm On Oct 29, 2008
Nigeria has reversed its decision to withdraw from hosting next year's Under-17 World Cup.

The country had pulled out of staging the event last week after the government said that it was not its priority to provide the funding needed.

However, following a drastic cut in the estimated cost of hosting the event, President Umaru Yar'Adua has after all decided to give it his backing.

"After due consideration with the global soccer body, the president has approved that the sum of 9bn naira ($76m) be included in the 2009 budget for the hosting of the under-17 World Cup," presidential spokesman Olusegun Adeniyi said.

"The organisation is to be under the supervision of the vice-president directly."

Fifa and the Nigerian private sector will also contribute to the event's costs, the president's spokesman said.

The local organising committee had originally proposed a 37 billion naira ($314 million) budget, which the government rejected.

The decision caused huge controversy within Nigeria, with many Nigerians arguing it was an embarrassment for the country, while others argued the budget was too high and could be better used for other necessities.

Nigerian newspapers had speculated that Fifa might impose sanctions because of the withdrawal.

Government and football officials had travelled to the Fifa headquarters in Zurich last week in an effort to break the deadlock.

Nigeria has already successfully hosted a major international football tournament - the Under-21 youth championship in 1999.

what do think of this decision?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7697299.stm
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by Seun(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2008
I love this president. He has his flaws, but he's a very responsible administrator. Very disciplined spender.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by mykali(m): 3:53pm On Oct 29, 2008
thank God for a person like yar adua. we can still walk proud.  grin
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by agaba123(m): 3:55pm On Oct 29, 2008
At least this is not bad.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by allboyz(m): 4:00pm On Oct 29, 2008
And we are winning the tournament in the same vein, God Bless this country
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by GoldCircle: 4:03pm On Oct 29, 2008
I just think his mind is never fully made up on every decision he takes. He really needs to be firm at times. A president that changes his mind like the weather clock will sooner or later loose his respect amongst his people and even the international community.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by BOSS7: 4:04pm On Oct 29, 2008
Why are you people praying for YarA'dua?, Have you all gone nuts or what planets are you?

NB:Football does not put food on the table.

Eat that!!!
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by eghehibor: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2008
this is really good news.

if the people who wrote the budget before knew that 9b could do the work, why did they want 37b?

na wah for this country sha. men one open "tear rubber new chassis" for all their girlfriends and mistresses.

Yaradua don fall their hand. grin
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by DavidDylan(m): 4:12pm On Oct 29, 2008
what's "good" about this news?

We have simply shown the world that:

1. We have no planning - how can we be haggling over funding less than a yr to hosting a tournament? Did FIFA just inform us about hosting last month?
2. We are too corrupt - so we could host a tournament for $76m and we quoted $314m? shocked
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by agaba123(m): 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2008
DavidDylan:

what's "good" about this news?

We have simply shown the world that:

1. We have no planning - how can we be haggling over funding less than a yr to hosting a tournament? Did FIFA just inform us about hosting last month?
2. We are too corrupt - so we could host a tournament for $76m and we quoted $314m? shocked
And the president 'does not support that'

Good leadership undecided
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by gamechange(m): 4:37pm On Oct 29, 2008
I am still not convinced we will have the necessary infrastructure in place, on time, to host this tournament, what I am sure of is that there will be those who will scupper it by siphoning money elsewhere, VP in charge or not.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by spikedcylinder: 4:42pm On Oct 29, 2008
Thats if the money is not squandered by his subordinates on things less related to soccer. undecided
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by category(m): 4:45pm On Oct 29, 2008
GoldCircle
I completely disagree with you on this ground.
If a president can change his mind on issues like this
does not imply his not a man of his words.
Remember he has been prevailed upon by both African and World football governing bodies
as well as yearning football lovers like you and i.
Don't forget we did not qualify on merit so we loose the chance to participate if we refuse to host.
So thank God for a listening president
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by MrCrackles(m): 4:49pm On Oct 29, 2008
confused nation!!
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by Gytee: 4:56pm On Oct 29, 2008
Abeg wetin EFCC still dey do.I believe this is best time to look into what happened to all the funds generated from COJA
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by chrisoml(m): 5:02pm On Oct 29, 2008
wow, what a country to live in.
so tell me from the original budget of 37Billion down to just 9Billion Naira. Thats minus 28Billion Naira saved from just hosting one event? shocked
I luv NIGERIA my fatherland grin
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by asha80(m): 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2008
Nigeria is a joke grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by mustafar1: 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2008
may the illegal profit made from this tourney run their belle and bank accounts. money flushed down the drain, whether #9b or #39b. if this govt accepts this proposal without questioning why the iflated proposal was innitially put forward then i would assume theres still quite a lot of padding on the new proposed amount.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by niyyie(m): 5:34pm On Oct 29, 2008
God help Nigeria. smiley
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by allboyz(m): 5:36pm On Oct 29, 2008
hmm na wa oo, i think we got some good news there,atleast for business reason, the media house would sale,more advert, more connection,more money, grin
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by LitenCee(m): 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2008
$76m or $314m i still dont agree that FG should waste our money on frivolous sporting jamborees, the LOC should source that fund from the private sector, cos football doesnot put food our table. if the private sector gets involved hosting the event they will definitely have revenue from it and account for it. if they lose then its no skin off our nose.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by bawomolo(m): 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2008
Nigeria has already successfully hosted a major international football tournament - the Under-21 youth championship in 1999

you call that success
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by zukkymike(m): 5:47pm On Oct 29, 2008
i doubt if fifa will grant us this hosting right, how sure we will not pull out again when it is 24 hours to opening ceremony.

lets wait until their december meeting
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by princekevo(m): 5:49pm On Oct 29, 2008
Omg!!!! I hope b4 he changed his mind he has desolved the organising committe(criminals) that quoted a budget of #9bn to be #37bn.As much as i want this event hosted doesnt mean we should enrich some fool's pocket.
Infact he should set up a new organising committee b4 the fund is being released with a close marking, lol.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by miky(m): 5:57pm On Oct 29, 2008
yaradua is not only smart, he is aware of whats happening. how can 39 billion be reduced to 9 billion.for all those that think he is too slow, i know people like bush would suit you. none of you know what happens at the backscene, look at dollars saved on corruption. a smart president is a flexible president @ gold circle
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by fyneguy: 7:39pm On Oct 29, 2008
Yes the flexibility makes sense in this context.

Yaradua must have boxed them using the "withdrawal"method grin
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by pie1ect(m): 9:58pm On Oct 29, 2008
@ Topic
Good decision. Whether $76m will be enough to host this tournament remains to be seen.

But this is very prudent management from Yar Adua. I've criticised the man severally but this is one decision I applaud. Ok, I might even begin to change my towards him.

Now, the next very important thing to do. Get the people who made the original budget and let them explain to Nigerians how they arrived at $314m  in the first place.

Presido, this is a step in the right direction. Thank you Sir.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by Guk: 11:12pm On Oct 29, 2008
A "Knee Jerk" reacting President, unfortunately is a danger to any nation, It is absolutely clear that Yar Adua is incapable of running the affairs of this country. A President who reacts to a NoN Existent Food crisis in Nigeria by declaring to spend =N=80B & then changing tune after people shouted that it was a false alarm is suspect.

A President who PROMISED that he will declare an National Emergency on Power but still hasnt after 17th months can not be described as a stable decision maker.

A President who comes out to announce Niger Delta Ministry and a month after, no ministry, no employee, no minister leaves much to be desired.

A President who has Ministers that reflect his indecisiveness and inefficiency & doesnt know whether he should change them or retain them is totally a "Rudderless ship"

A President who does not understand the Financial crisis & hw its playing out in Nigeria & thinks we are talking about Kolanut money leaves much to be desired.

A President who pegs the FiFa U17 to =N=9b will see before his own very eyes how those guys will arm twist him to eventually spend the =N=37b. The guys who initially asked for the =N=37b will get their pound of flesh last last. These guys are battle tested wolves, they thrive on chopping our money & they would sabotage the preparations that Yar Adua will be forced to spend that =N=37b at the end of the day, Wait & See
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by Guk: 11:25pm On Oct 29, 2008
So what should Yar Adua do? Hosting a Tournament is not rocket science. We have great lessons on how not to host from Fifa World cup U19 we hosted in 1999; from COJA and we have all to learn from those who hosted successfully.

All that is required to host has already being compiled in a Checklist provided by FIFA. Yar Adua needs to identify those who can transparently deliver & ahnd over the Tournament to them as a Project. If need be, we outsource a number of things we know could end up in the Sports Ministers house after the games e.g Generator.

There are companies who would provide sufficient Standby power to the stadia for the duration of the tourney.

There are companies who would provide sufficient transportation for the duration of the tourney.

There are companies who would provide sufficient Mobile Scoreboards for the duration of the tourney

There are enough hotels to go round

There are enough stadia in Abuja; PH; Lagos; Kano that can be used for the tourney.

Let them outsource a number of the items mentioned above and concentrate on Planning & Execution of the games.

Lets not make a mountain out of a molehill with this tournament, theres more things worth discussing than the same old shenanigans of our corrupt minded old guard in administration
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by md4real(m): 11:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
thank God a nation embarassment has been averted. our politician have gulp much more money than this.
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by solowealth(m): 11:54pm On Oct 29, 2008
All of you have really spoken well. I just want to sensitize us so that when we too get to such positions we will not also fumble like these ones. tenitode lari
Re: Nigeria In U-17 World Cup U-turn by niterider(m): 7:43am On Oct 30, 2008
It seems alot of us have detached ourselves from the everyday reality of Nigeria. 9bn or 37bn,the fact still remains that alot of the 60% of us living below the poverty line could have benefited from that kind of money. I wonder how some of you sleep at nite knowing that such huge amounts of money is being used for fanfare when fellow country mates go to sleep hungry,walk around without shoes, sleep without electricity and dont hv access to evryday things like computers.

If we assume a classroom table and chair costs $50, $78mil would be able to buy 1560000 chairs and tables and thats 156000 more kids being able to attend classes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wrestling Real Or Fake? / Watch The Match Live On Youtube Nigeria Vs North Korea In Hd Still 4-0 / Real Madrid Goalkeeper Is The Worst In The World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.