Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,168 members, 7,811,390 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife (2300 Views)

July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife / Diploma In Local Govt Studies( Oau,ile-ife,osun State) / Oau Ile Ife 2009/2010 Admission List! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 9:35am On Sep 09, 2014
I just got this, OAU students be informed and watchful.

The first suspected case of Ebola Virus Disease is currently being investigated at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU). If the test results come out positive, it would be the first time in any part of the world that a case would be reported in a university.

The patient, a female student reportedly confessed she had come in contact with the doctor that died of the disease in Port Harcourt.

Report from Obafemi Awolowo university Health Centre revealed the female student walked into the emergency room in the evening of Monday September 8. She reportedly informed the doctor on duty that she had been in contact with the late doctor’s family about 2 weeks ago, adding she had been in contact with the doctor’s 3 month old baby.

She presented with stooling and vomiting which had been on for over 3 days.

Her confession reportedly caused panic among patients at the health center who fled after hearing the news. She was immediately taken and kept under watch in the center’s isolation ward. Swiftly, the community health unit was called upon to fumigate the entire health centre while arrangement is in top gear to transfer her to a treatment facility.

HealthNewsNG.com would like to categorically state this is still a suspected case and has not been confirmed by appropriate authorities. As such, caution should be exercised in the use and dissemination of this information.

Information made available to HealthNewsNG.com this morning revealed the management of the OAU Teaching Hospital allegedly turned down the request for the patient to be transferred to the hospital to prevent infecting patients and staff at the hospital.

Also, efforts are ongoing to identify individuals she had come in contact with.

OAU is one of Nigeria’s major universities owned and managed by the federal government of Nigeria. The university has thousands of students from various parts of the country which means an outbreak could become widespread if someone with the disease is among the students.

Source: http://healthnewsng.com/first-suspected-case-ebola-investigation-obafemi-awolowo-university/
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 10:27am On Sep 09, 2014
this must not be true oo shocked...
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 10:37am On Sep 09, 2014
Gooci: this must not be true oo shocked...
it's been confirmed o
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 10:42am On Sep 09, 2014
pumpingmachine: it's been confirmed o
chaii, make i ask ma people in oau... i still not bliv shha.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 11:07am On Sep 09, 2014
Gooci:
chaii, make i ask ma people in oau... i still not bliv shha.
okay na. let me know what they tell u
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 11:13am On Sep 09, 2014
pumpingmachine: okay na. let me know what they tell u
jst contacted someone one, i dnt think its true. if such a case is in oau health center, d whole campus would av known

1 Like

Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 11:18am On Sep 09, 2014
Gooci:
jst contacted someone one, i dnt think its true. if such a case is in oau health center, d whole campus would av known
contact someone in the school. my brother is a student and he said it is true, a medical student also called to confirm. Maybe your guy no dey town
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 11:45am On Sep 09, 2014
pumpingmachine: contact someone in the school. my brother is a student and he said it is true, a medical student also called to confirm. Maybe your guy no dey town
is it health center on campus or OAU THC in town?
the person i contactd stays on campus
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by bharyur2103(m): 11:45am On Sep 09, 2014
Your brother must be a rumour peddler then.I'm a student of the university and I'm currently on campus.The union leadership has contacted the neccessary authorities to confirm the rumour that started making rounds last night, and it has affirmed it is not true.

2 Likes

Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
In that case, we thank God. Make I find koboko

bharyur2103: Your brother must be a rumour peddler then.I'm a student of the university and I'm currently on campus.The union leadership has contacted the neccessary authorities to confirm the rumour that started making rounds late night, and it has affirmed it is not true.

2 Likes

Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 12:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
I heard it is the one on campus o
Gooci:
is it health center on campus or OAU THC in town?
the person i contactd stays on campus
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2014
pumpingmachine: I heard it is the one on campus o
i will try nd confirm again
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2014
Chineke
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by sisiafrika(f): 12:59pm On Sep 09, 2014
Blame Jonathan and the Igbos!
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by whalexyy(m): 2:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
Guys its true dt a student had bn admitted over ebola buh its not fully confirmed its ebola.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Exmay(m): 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2014
bharyur2103: Your brother must be a rumour peddler then.I'm a student of the university and I'm currently on campus.The union leadership has contacted the neccessary authorities to confirm the rumour that started making rounds late night, and it has affirmed it is not true.
I'm not saying its true or not. However, if it were to be true do you think your school authorities will confirm it? Because if they do, they are very much aware that it will result into panic among the student populace.... #just thinking loud
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by STENON(f): 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nawa O........
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2014
av confirmed it..... i hop the test comes negative shha. govt shld jst think twice about this sept resumption for our pri/sec schools. its not safe yet
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Adesam09(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
Tell me it's a joke embarassed
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
And u don nearly call me liar before. Oya send me recharge card for pain inflicted. lol. I don't know d school is yet to temporarily close down. Ebola no be joke matter o
Gooci: av confirmed it..... i hop the test comes negative shha. govt shld jst think twice about this sept resumption for our pri/sec schools. its not safe yet
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by hausadreturn(m): 4:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
sisiafrika: Blame Jonathan and the Igbos!
how good are u in stirring a hornet's nest?
Not good enough if u ask me

1 Like

Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Gooci(m): 4:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
pumpingmachine: And u don nearly call me liar before. Oya send me recharge card for pain inflicted. lol. I don't know d school is yet to temporarily close down. Ebola no be joke matter o

closed own kee sad they jst resumed now.... bt lets still hope her test result comes -ve
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by hausadreturn(m): 4:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
Exmay: I'm not saying its true or not. However, if it were to be true do you think your school authorities will confirm it? Because if they do, they are very much aware that it will result into panic among the student populace.... #just thinking loud
u have a point.
School might be shut down effective immediately
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Vanpascore(m): 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ha!
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by onyxo76(m): 4:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
The suspect is a female and she is in the health centre where I work, she ran awat last night only for the boyfriend to bring her back this morning, we have the who team alreay seeing her.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by Lilimax(f): 5:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
I hope this story is not true shocked
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by pumpingmachine: 5:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
Yes, I have updated the information. When will mod take this to FP?
onyxo76: The suspect is a female and she is in the health centre where I work, she ran awat last night only for the boyfriend to bring her back this morning, we have the who team alreay seeing her.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by perez019(m): 5:16pm On Sep 09, 2014
I just got a call from a Dr friend who works there and he authoritatively told me the result came out positive. A very sad news to the OAU community
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by sisiafrika(f): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
hausadreturn: how good are u in stirring a hornet's nest?
Not good enough if u ask me
huh? Hausa? Med student? Smh.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by semitunde: 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
For the huge population on that campus, this had better come out negative.

The patient should have been transferred out of the school premises to a safe in a secluded area. Oau has places like that. This shouldn't be allowed to become a big issue.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by semitunde: 5:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
perez019: I just got a call from a Dr friend who works there and he authoritatively told me the result came out positive. A very sad news to the OAU community

Hmmm. Sad news. Just heard from an insider too. Said the patient is presently in an isolation room.

Too bad for those who only just resumed.

Don't know if this should even be recommended for front page. Issues like these shouldn't be shouted on roof tops to avoid unreasonable panic.
Re: Patient Suspected With Ebola Being Investigated In OAU Ile Ife by sisiafrika(f): 5:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
The scene is scary. The nurses seem scared and shouting at the WHO reps fumigating. I guess its positive cos they were fumigating the path the suspect took..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unn 2015/16 Departmental Cut-off Mark (faq) / In South Africa, Team Fupre Wins Awards With Varsity Made Cars / The World Best Military Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.