Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

10 Unbelievable Strategies That Will Earn You A Good Degree From NOUN - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Unbelievable Strategies That Will Earn You A Good Degree From NOUN (611 Views)

How Recognised Is A Masters Degree From Noun / Photo: Former President Olusegun Obasanjo Graduated With 4.25 CGPA From NOUN / Lady Kofo-ademola 1st Black Woman To Receive A Degree From Oxford University:pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Unbelievable Strategies That Will Earn You A Good Degree From NOUN by nollyj: 11:07am On Sep 09, 2014
10 Unbelievable strategies that will earn you a good degree from National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) while still working

If the word "NOUN" does not ring any bell to you then you need to understand what it stands for in Nigeria. NOUN is acronym for National Open University of Nigeria.

According to Wikipedia "The National Open University of Nigeria is an Open and Distance Learning (ODL) institution, the first of its kind in the West African sub-region. The university, at present, has 54 Centers spread across the country. It is Nigeria's largest tertiary institution in terms of student numbers. The National Open University of Nigeria offers over 50 programmes and 750 courses, from Certificate, Diploma and Degree levels, while maintaining a strong commitment to internalization".

At least I am sure by now you know what NOUN is. You can also go to NOUN official website to find more information about the institution and the different programs and certificate courses they offer.

In the past I have received many questions from my reader about NOUN. The questions range from:
1. is degree from NOUN recognizable in Nigeria
2. can one use degree from NOUN to get a job in Nigeria
3. is further studies possible in conversion universities in Nigeria with NOUN degree / qualification
4. can one go for NYSC after graduation from NOUN
and many more.

It shows that most Nigerians are still unsure about enrolling and following a program in NOUN. I wrote a post in the past due to many questions I received and I am glad that the post has helped many people to make that final decision about enrolling in NOUN or not. I will suggest you read that post first before you continue.

http://toscanyacademy.com/blog/education-decisions/is-degree-and-certificate-from-national-open-university-of-nigeria-recognised-around-the-world-and-is-part-time-studies-in-conventional-universities-preferable-than-noun/

Some few months ago I came across a remark made by the VC of NOUN and that validates some of the points I have raised in the past about NOUN. If you are interested you can also read it below.

http://toscanyacademy.com/blog/nigeria-education/noun-argues-nigerians-embrace-open-distance-learning/

Now is the best time to focus on the main reason why I choose to write this post. If you are working currently in Nigeria and you are planning to follow an online degree or certificate program in NOUN, and you wish to enjoy your studies and come out with a good grade then this post is for you. Beside, even if you are not working currently and you are following or about to start a program in NOUN, there are many good information you can take home.

Now, I will discuss about different strategies that will ease the stress associated with online learning / lone study and in the end you will come out with a result you have dreamed of. One misconception people have about online programs is that it is easy without knowing that many online programs are more difficult than some in-class programs.

When you have a work that takes almost all your time and may be a family that also requires your time, it becomes extremely difficult for you to cope with online studies.

I have a friend who has a young family and she works in the bank. The first time she tried to follow a postgraduate degree program in NOUN did not come out good. The main reason is she did not take time to plan her whole journey with NOUN because she though it will be easy.

Bear in mind that nothing good comes easy. But for you to do better in NOUN as a working class Nigeria, you should put these tips into practice.

10 Unbelievable strategies that will earn you a good degree from National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) while still working

1. Technical requirements
Technical requirements are part of the essential tools that you seriously need to put in place before the start of your program. Technical requirements include a computer set or laptop and mobile device you can use on the go. With mobile device and internet connection, you can access all the information about your courses anywhere.
Also you should find out if there is any other software or tools that are recommended. It is important to have Microsoft office package, it will be handy when you are writing reports.

2. Hardware - Storage System
Unstable electricity supply and internet in Nigeria are commonplace. Before you start your online program in NOUN make sure you have purchase a storage system that will enable you to go to cyber-cafe and download some or all the materials you need rather than hoping and waiting for internet connection or electricity on essential period.
This will avail you the opportunity to move around with materials you need for your course work in your storage device.

3. Check Your Online Classroom Daily
One major problem most online learner’s face is the unwillingness to check their classroom page every day. Since in this form of education, course materials and important announcement that affect the course are usually uploaded to the online classroom so if you are not checking constantly, you will find yourself in situation where you see important notice very late.

4. Plan ahead
Do not wait until a day or two to a deadline before you start working on your assignment. Planning ahead will help you understand all the assignments you have to do and when is the most suitable time to start working on them.

5. Schedule Your Work
The best advice I will give you is to use an online calendar that you will input all the course timetable, assignments and their due dates and other important information need in a course. You can use the calendar notification or alert to update you about upcoming task that you need to work on.

6. Create your own workspace
By creating your own workspace, it does not mean that you should go and build a new space where you will use to read but it is important that you have a consistent place devoid of noise or external distraction

7. Reach out to fellow students for discussion
As the saying goes "no man is an island " Like in-class environment, students collaborate and discuss with one another about their courses and issues they are having. They learn from one another. This can be reproduced in an online study environment. Try and form a reading group with some of your classmate. You will decide the online platform you will use. Make sure the platform has features like file sharing, chatting, video call and other features that help effective group interaction online.

8. Reach out to your lecture
The mistake many NOUN students are fond of doing is not reaching out to their course coordinator. People that have the impression that online studies are very easy, ignore some basic things they need to do that might cost them in future.
I have seen situation where a student failed two times before he reached out to his lecture and there after he understood what he was doing wrong.

9. Online Tutor
This might sound off point but it is important. When you find it difficult to wrap your head on certain topic or concept and if you have extra money to spend you can hire an online tutor for a personalized teaching base on the areas you need help.

10. Endeavour to visit your local study center whenever there is need

source: http://toscanyacademy.com/blog/

(1) (Reply)

Uniport 2014/2015 Postgraduate Application / Aspen HYSYS / Today Is Eleven Eleven. Share Your Boarding House Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.