Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job (1859 Views)

Hire Me For Freelance Writing / Freelance Writing / I Need A Freelance Writing Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 11:27am On Sep 09, 2014
I am sure most of you will like to quit the rat race, leave bosses and time-clocks behind, skip the bus-stops, stop putting on high heels and tie and work in your pyjamas right inside your home.

This is the dream of most serious writers and it can be realized. However, you need to take it step by step. What I mean by this is that, you can actually start freelance writing without quitting your day job.

Below are steps you can take to do that:

1. Write for two hours every morning. You can wake up by 4am and write till 6am and then start preparing for work.

2. Write two hours before you sleep at night. When you come back from the office, take a nap and rest. Socialize with your friends and family and when everyone is asleep, pick up your writing pen and start writing.

3. Write during weekends. Most of us don't go to work at weekends, especially Sundays. Saturdays are always busy, especially if you are a lady. You will need to wash and clean up. You can easily write in the afternoon-evening time of the day on Sundays.

Can you make money doing this? Yes you can. Now, it is time to start chasing your dream without killing what you have already got going for you.

To freelance writers in the house, how do you combine freelance writing with your day job?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by autofreak2020(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
@ ladywriter
could you recommend any material to me that will boost my vocabularies and make me a better writer?
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by OloriAchalugo(f): 12:44am On Sep 23, 2014
Great advice. smiley
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by EagleScribes: 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
@ladywriter, I have been following your posts on NL for a long time - at least when you started posts on freelancer. Believe me sister, my job has snuffed out the writing skills out of me such that thinking of what to write is a task on its own. Anyway, I'm into transcription and proofreading services for now. Thanks for your care as always. God bless you more and more

1 Like

Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 9:23am On Sep 26, 2014
EagleScribes: @ladywriter, I have been following your posts on NL for a long time - at least when you started posts on freelancer. Believe me sister, my job has snuffed out the writing skills out of me such that thinking of what to write is a task on its own. Anyway, I'm into transcription and proofreading services for now. Thanks for your care as always. God bless you more and more

@EagleScribes, Hmmm! Glad you are doing something online. You can still try to write once in a while to keep sharpen your writing skill. Wish you all the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by Truth234(m): 6:22am On Sep 27, 2014
You know you can actually put up a website and get your job directly without going through freelancer? It takes time but you don't have to pay intermediary fee.

Especially if you do academic writings.
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 11:31am On Sep 27, 2014
Truth234: You know you can actually put up a website and get your job directly without going through freelancer? It takes time but you don't have to pay intermediary fee.

Especially if you do academic writings.

Yeah @Truth234, very true! But for a beginner, it is better to start with freelancing websites to garner some experiences in writing before venturing out.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by Truth234(m): 1:40pm On Sep 27, 2014
Freelancer money is just too poor for me, I prefer to give them some of my jobs but like you said its good for a beginner.
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by EagleScribes: 11:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
All knowing and all genius Ladywriter, please do justice to your topic ooo
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 9:27am On Oct 07, 2014
EagleScribes:
All knowing and all genius Ladywriter, please do justice to your topic ooo

@Eaglescribes, all-knowing ke? God is the one who knows all. What do you want me to add to the post/topic?
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by EagleScribes: 1:42pm On Oct 07, 2014
ladywriter:

@Eaglescribes, all-knowing ke? God is the one who knows all. What do you want me to add to the post/topic?

And it's the same God that has filled you with all-round wisdom. Back to the topic, can you recommend any software that can be of assistance in terms of writing?

Thanks for being a blessing as always
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 8:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
EagleScribes:

And it's the same God that has filled you with all-round wisdom. Back to the topic, can you recommend any software that can be of assistance in terms of writing?

Thanks for being a blessing as always

@EagleScribes, I don't really know of any writing software. I only use Microsoft word, grammar check and plagiarism checker.
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by belovedsamex(m): 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2014
ladywriter:

@EagleScribes, I don't really know of any writing software. I only use Microsoft word, grammar check and plagiarism checker.

Lady writer, i want to start freelance writing. which website would need my services? could you guide me on how to get writing tasks? tanx.
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 10:54pm On Oct 10, 2014
belovedsamex:

Lady writer, i want to start freelance writing. which website would need my services? could you guide me on how to get writing tasks? tanx.

Read my post here - https://www.nairaland.com/1833989/how-make-1000-month-writting
All the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by dothy28(f): 11:48am On May 11, 2015
If you are into the eagerness to start on freelance writing with a day job, you know how to manage both of your time well. It is a matter of determination and dedication to do the craft because of your personal reason so. It's not about rumbling both of your pressures of both works together, that you come up the conclusion of leaving one job, No. One rule of accepting a freelance job is to know how you can balance both of of the things you've done in your daily lives. Wish everyone got my point and understands it, heartily. You both have good jobs or focus into one? You decide.
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by EagleScribes: 11:35pm On May 14, 2015
Thanks ladywriter. Actually, I've tried to go into writing but it's been a daunting task.

Here's my scenario:

- work in Lagos
- spend about 6 to 8 hours in traffic to and from work
- works 8 to 5 daily, including weekend at times
- terrible electricity supply at home
- a family man that will have to attend to family issues too
- so fatigued and stressed on getting home.

So how do I combine all these? If you've been able to find a way out of these please help me out o. Thanks
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by ladywriter(f): 8:46am On May 15, 2015
EagleScribes:
Thanks ladywriter. Actually, I've tried to go into writing but it's been a daunting task.

Here's my scenario:

- work in Lagos
- spend about 6 to 8 hours in traffic to and from work
- works 8 to 5 daily, including weekend at times
- terrible electricity supply at home
- a family man that will have to attend to family issues too
- so fatigued and stressed on getting home.

So how do I combine all these? If you've been able to find a way out of these please help me out o. Thanks

You can do anything if you set your mind on it. I understand your situation, but at the same time, you need to find a way to make extra income. To do it, you will need a laptop with a good battery and internet connection. Your first goal will be to make enough money to buy a generator. You can work early hours of the money and late at night. You can also use your free time at work (may be during breaks). By the time you start making enough money that is more than your salary, you will resign and focus on it properly. I have seen people who have done it within a space of one year and resigned from their jobs. There is always a way, if you search very well.
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by mtzion: 3:38pm On May 27, 2015
You can also try the tips on the links below. Freelance and start-up writers will find it beneficial.

http://www.bookateria.net/3-tools-to-overcoming-time-constraints-as-an-author/

http://www.bookateria.net/10-reasons-i-never-succeeded-as-a-writer/
Re: How To Start Freelance Writing Without Quitting Your Day Job by Godspikin: 2:15am On Jul 02, 2015
ladywriter,
I will really love to have your contacts, bbpin or number. If you won't mind i will need you to help me as a starter in a "hold me by the hand" kind of coaching.

(1) (Reply)

Now Available! Get Your Articles Written/re-written On Any Niche / 3 Good Writers Needed / Click Here To Grab A Stunning Pre-made E-book Cover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.