Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? (2967 Views)

If I Become A Poet / I Am A Poet / I Am Not A Poet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 11:46am On Sep 09, 2014
I often write because I must. Sometimes something will pop into my head and it won't go away till I get it out. Other times it comes and goes. I wrote this a while back about the "process" for me.

Some things, which weigh heavily on my mind, are difficult to raise. Many times emotions flood my consciousness, and make dredging laborious. The content that lurks deep within can get mired down in the depths of my imagination. Other times they are like flotsam and jetsam. Floating on the surface where I can simply scoop them up, as I search through the wreckage for surviving ideation. Then, with careful introspection, the allegory will emerge. I hope the latter is the case. Either way, rescue is the objective.

Unfortunately, these lost thoughts, these swirling eddies in my mind, can be inescapably caught by the rip tides beneath. They can be dragged away forever, if not reached in time. Occasionally they surface later. These poor creatures wash up onto the beach. They are beaten and blooded by sharp coral, and other critters who are also fighting for the surface. Once they make it to shore, I pick them up, clean them off, and the voyage begins again. We pray the passage is tempest free, and the sun shines on our faces. With the wind at our backs, and the Lord beside us, we set our sails again. The hope of clear skies and placid waters on our minds and in our hearts.

By Tex

Why do you write poetry, and how does it come to you?

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Mynd44: 12:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
I cant really say I get inspired or I have a process. i just see a good topic, make the topic my first line and I write. To me, the first line is the most important as there are countless times I have picked a topic but miserably deviated from it later in the poem.

I just flow with the words that I can think of and allow them control me and pick the direction and,meaning of the poem I am trying to write. I have found that sticking to a particular theme or topic never ends well when I write

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 12:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
Thanks ^^^
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
Stanzas, rhymes and form.
Creating poems is hard work.

I only write when I want to express love.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 12:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
Silkmoth33: Stanzas, rhymes and form.
Creating poems is hard work.

I only write when I want to express love.

Awwww sweet. smiley
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
And I love to read Edgar's poems... Anabel lee
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Firestar...I sight you. You are a poet. What say you?

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by firestar(f): 12:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
When inspiration says bite me... angry grin

I be damned if I don't clench it like my life depends on it, in whatever form...

Formless or defined
Tugs my heart
Strikes my mind
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 1:05pm On Sep 09, 2014
Silkmoth33: And I love to read Edgar's poems... Anabel lee

Edgar Allen Poe was one of my biggest influences. I couldn't get enough of his macabre tales after discovering him. The Raven, a Dream Within A Dream, The Mask of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell Tale Heart and so many others.

When I was a kid, we used to take a two week summer vacation every year, and many weekend outings in the car. We spent a lot of time getting to where we were going. Lol much more time than we spent at our destination. At night we listened to "Mystery Theater" on the radio. Poe stories were a big part of my childhood. I can still remember being crammed in the car, with my 6 bros and my dad, listening to scary tails driving down the dark, deserted highways. Booahhahahahaha! Hehe
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
firestar: When inspiration says bite me... angry grin

I be damned if I don't clench it like my life depends on it, in whatever form...

Formless or defined
Tugs my heart
Strikes my mind

Awesome!
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by SpcAgtOko: 4:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
I am not a writer but love is usually my inspiration for attempting grin

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 5:24pm On Sep 09, 2014
SpcAgtOko: I am not a writer but love is usually my inspiration for attempting grin

Always a good reason. smiley
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 09, 2014
I think poems are meant for people who are not smart. That is obtuse view (as you might want to call it)though.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 5:39pm On Sep 09, 2014
all4naija: I think poems are meant for people who are not smart. That is obtuse view (as you might want to call it)though.

Hmmm
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 09, 2014

Formless or defined
Tugs my heart
Strikes my mind
plz I really need to send a message to you
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 09, 2014

Formless or defined
Tugs my heart
Strikes my mind
pls bite me grin
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
I think I write Poem because it speaks my heart,
Spit my mind out,
and let my spirit flow through rhymes...
It makes me make the truth spin in people's head..
And lol...even if what you wrote was not a message for some certain people it still talk to them

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by harlos: 8:34pm On Sep 09, 2014
undecided
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by timpaker(m): 9:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
I just write when I find myself listening to music when travelling cuz that's when words hove around my head like cloud. Inspiration? Erm... I draw inspiration from basically anything around me too. Just recently I wrote a poem about "onion" and "feathers".... Strange huh?grin

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by rinrin23(f): 9:08pm On Sep 09, 2014
Many reasons:
- to quiet my mind
- to gain clarity on my emotions. Sometimes I don't completely understand how I feel until I've poured it out on paper
- because the voices tell me to grin. The don't let me rest/think/sleep until all the words floating in my head form phrases and those phrases form rhymes undecided
- so that I don't have to talk. My mind has a closer relationship with hands than my mouth, therefore I tend to favor writing to talking.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by firestar(f): 11:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
Divepen:
plz I really need to send a message to you

Hey, Divepen love.
I'll be expecting it. cool
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by firestar(f): 11:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
timpaker: I just write when I find myself listening to music when travelling cuz that's when words hove around my head like cloud. Inspiration? Erm... I draw inspiration from basically anything around me too. Just recently I wrote a poem about "onion" and "feathers".... Strange huh?grin

Tim... where on earth does that flash of brilliance strike you enough to write about onions?

Hehe

Speaking of which...

You go show me pepper?!
Woh.... angry
I go bring onion and tomatee join body
You never sabi---anytin!!!!1
At-all at-all
Soup sweet, money murder am
Soup sour, canda knack am.

Ah poetry...
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 11:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
rinrin23: Many reasons:
- to quiet my mind
- to gain clarity on my emotions. Sometimes I don't completely understand how I feel until I've poured it out on paper
- because the voices tell me to grin. The don't let me rest/think/sleep until all the words floating in my head form phrases and those phrases form rhymes undecided
- so that I don't have to talk. My mind has a closer relationship with hands than my mouth, therefore I tend to favor writing to talking.

I'm so much like the beginning of this post. Unfortunately I tend to have little control over my mouth. lipsrsealed
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 11:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
timpaker: I just write when I find myself listening to music when travelling cuz that's when words hove around my head like cloud. Inspiration? Erm... I draw inspiration from basically anything around me too. Just recently I wrote a poem about "onion" and "feathers".... Strange huh?grin

Strange in a cool way. smiley

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 11:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
firestar:

Tim... where on earth does that flash of brilliance strike you enough to write about onions?

Hehe

Speaking of which...

You go show me pepper?!
Woh.... angry
I go bring onion and tomatee join body
You never sabi---anytin!!!!1
At-all at-all
Soup sweet, money murder am
Soup sour, canda knack am.

Ah poetry...

Where's the crazy eyes emoticon? cheesy

Breath woman! tongue
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by firestar(f): 12:00am On Sep 10, 2014
texanomaly:

Where's the crazy eyes emoticon? cheesy

Breath woman! tongue

Ummm?
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 12:06am On Sep 10, 2014
firestar:

Ummm?

Just messing with you. embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by firestar(f): 12:27am On Sep 10, 2014
texanomaly:

Just messing with you. embarassed lipsrsealed

(((Hugs her from behind!))) cheesy tongue
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 12:29am On Sep 10, 2014
firestar:

(((Hugs her from behind!))) cheesy tongue

Awwww
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by BERNIMOORE: 3:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
Mynd44: I cant really say I get inspired or I have a process. i just see a good topic, make the topic my first line and I write. To me, the first line is the most important as there are countless times I have picked a topic but miserably deviated from it later in the poem.

I just flow with the words that I can think of and allow them control me and pick the direction and,meaning of the poem I am trying to write. I have found that sticking to a particular theme or topic never ends well when I write

pls i want to know if you are still one of the mods and if possible the new complaint thread kindly put the links to your reply, thanks
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 6:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
Mynd44: I cant really say I get inspired or I have a process. i just see a good topic, make the topic my first line and I write. To me, the first line is the most important as there are countless times I have picked a topic but miserably deviated from it later in the poem.

I do use this approach, but there are times I don't want my audience to know what I'm getting at till the end of the piece. Other times I may want them to come to their own conclusions. I'm sometimes deliberately vague so they have to think about what I'm trying to say. Sometimes I just want them to think about what it means to them, and not worry about what my intention is.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by basille(m): 5:08pm On Sep 23, 2014
I hardly pick a topic i want to write on, it comes to me like a trance or daydream then pen and paper follows.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Poem For My Father (MR Muritala Abdulkareem Babatunde) I Miss You / Lagos Traffic / What I Love About You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.