Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Two Kids Hack An ATM With Online Owners Manual, You Can As Well - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Two Kids Hack An ATM With Online Owners Manual, You Can As Well (1807 Views)

A Dangerous Malware Known As Ransom32 Discovered - Laptop Owners Beware / Who Knows How To Hack An Account Or Break Security Of An App / Need Help On How To Hack My Bf's Social Networks! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Kids Hack An ATM With Online Owners Manual, You Can As Well by oladimejiX: 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2014
Two 14-year-old Canadians hacked a Bank of Montreal ATM after finding an operator's manual online. The manual showed how to gain administrative control of the device, according to a media report published over the weekend.

When Matthew Hewlett and Caleb Turon tested the instructions against an ATM at a nearby supermarket, the ninth graders didn't expect them to work, The Winnipeg Sun reported Sunday. To their surprise, the machine quickly prompted them for a password. Even more surprising, their first guess—a six-character password that's common among default settings—let them in. The boys then reported their lunch-hour caper to bank employees, who at first thought the duo had merely acquired the PINs of an ATM customer.

"I said: 'No, no, no. We hacked your ATM. We got into the operator mode,'" Hewlett was quoted as saying. Then, the bank employees asked for proof.

"So we both went back to the ATM and I got into the operator mode again," Hewlett said. "Then I started printing off documentations like how much money is currently in the machine, how many withdrawals have happened that day, how much it's made off surcharges. Then I found a way to change the surcharge amount, so I changed the surcharge amount to one cent."

Good chance it was a Diebold ATM. Default supervisor password is 000000 and from my experience, LOTS of banks and credit unions don't change that password. Now that's just the standard supervisor mode password which will allow you to pull most of that information and set a few settings.

You can actually boot most ATMs into windows but will require physical access to the ATM and to plug in a keyboard but once again, the default password isn't usually changed,
Credit
Re: Two Kids Hack An ATM With Online Owners Manual, You Can As Well by Drniyi4u(m): 7:05am On Sep 10, 2014
waoh! nice one
Re: Two Kids Hack An ATM With Online Owners Manual, You Can As Well by Emmafrancis: 3:29pm On Sep 10, 2014
wow. But me want the kind of hacking that will bring forth money not printing and changing settings

1 Like

Re: Two Kids Hack An ATM With Online Owners Manual, You Can As Well by oladimejiX: 7:35pm On Sep 10, 2014
Just download an atm manual

(1) (Reply)

How To Increase Your 2g, 3g And Wifi Internet Speed By 200% In Android.. / We Build And Install Remote Controlled Gate / MAXIMUS 11.6" Laptop PC (2 Months Used) @ 25K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.