Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,097 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue (12262 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2014
This topic is created to address this post by eddyland

https://www.nairaland.com/1822833/regret-not-knowing-how-speak

The depreciation of interest or reason as to why most Nigerians do not speak their native tongue is because you simply do not need it to survive in Nigeria.

[b]After independence from Britain, Nigeria official language was replaced with English and in every sphere of the society, it becomes the language that is usage to comunicate hence, it overshadows all other languages making them less required. About a 100 years ago, most if not all Nigerians are fluent in their native tongue

If you look around, you will realize that many folks that even speak their native language do not know the grammatical rules, the letters and how to write in it and its simply because you do not use it to function everyday in the society, I remember in my high school where we learn our own native tongue using English language (meanwhile it make more sense to learn English language using our own native tongue), student were flogged for communicating in Yoruba or Igbo and if you do not speak English fluently, you are laughed, look down upon or seen as an outright illiterate. Its evident that in Nigeria, Nigeria's native languages is inferior when compare to English and in socio-linguistics, it is simply described as a language with a ''negative prestige''.

No matter how much your parent try to imbibe your native tongue in you, the grip is less if you compare it to a soceity where the official language is its own native language. In France, French is the official language and this kind of problem do not occur there but if you look at Ireland, English is the official language even though their native tongue is Irish. Irish language begins to decline after the Brits found it less desirable and a threat to English interest during the 19th century, and if you look at the modern Ireland, you will realise that a tiny percent (usually old people) of the society speak Irish and Irish as been clasified as a language that will face extinction anytime soon if the older folks pass away.

Most Nigerians will speak their native tongue if it is mandatory to survive with it in the society (especially if we study and write in this language, and all areas of the society communicate with it) but if not, Nigeria will end up like Ireland, Brazil and most countries that replaced their own native tongue with a foreign one due to external influences.
[/b]

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by MoneyGreen(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by AfricanApple(f): 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
good post. u said it all

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by AfricanApple(f): 5:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
MoneyGreen: .......
its becos of pple like u dat good post don't enter front page. wet in be d price of d FTC sef
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by myads890(m): 5:35pm On Sep 09, 2014
Personally, I feel we should outgrow our sentiments. Our different languages and cultures have really separated/divided us and this is one of the reason's we should create a suitable set of laws, language and system that will be beneficial for all of us and encourage us to be more nationalistic as opposed to being tribalistic

www.theniministore.com
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by constance500: 5:37pm On Sep 09, 2014
MoneyGreen: .......

Space bookers association of nairaland wink
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
myads890: Personally, I feel we should outgrow our sentiments. Our different languages and cultures have really separated/divided us and this is one of the reason's we should create a suitable set of laws, language and system that will be beneficial for all of us and encourage us to be more nationalistic as opposed to being tribalistic

And the answer is replacing it with English language that will gradually lead to the extinction of all our native languages right? do you know Nigeria is not the only country with many languages? Indonesia has far more languages than Nigeria and their official language is not Dutch even though they were formally a Dutch colony. To further address your point, I will use Indonesia as an example.

Over 350 languages and dialects are spoken throughout the archipelago,' and Sukarno realized that his country needed a common vocabulary in order to unite people from the many islands and cultures . He recruited an international team of linguists, and Bahasa Indonesia was the highly successful result . Based on Malay, it avoid so many of the tense changes, irregular verbs, and other complications that characterize most languages . By the early 1970s, the majority o f Indonesians spoke it, although they continued to rely on Javanese and other local dialects within their own communities.

4 Likes

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Tapout(m): 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2014
true, each time i speak my language (igbo)., people around me (usually my friends n some relations) laugh a lot angry angry. they say my igbo sounds funny....so when its kind of compulsory, i speak engiligbo grin.....but God knows I'm trying my best cry cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by myads890(m): 6:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
There is no where in my post where I suggested English to be our common language. However, whether you like it or not that's probably going to the case judging by the profeciency of your write up and also by the fact that among the youths being hip is speaking fluent English.

Either way, we have a problem and we need a solution. If English will solve out problem so be it and if our leaders can be smart enough to replicate your Indonesian story(which I doubt) then so be it. At the end of the day we need to move forward and our culture and beliefs are not helping. If we truly want ONE Nigeria then we all have to make sacrifices

pansophist:

And the answer is replacing it with English language that will gradually lead to the extinction of all our native language right? do you know Nigeria is not the only country with many languages? Indonesia has far more language than Nigeria and their official language is not Dutch even though they are formally a Dutch colony. To further address your point, I will use Indonesia as a example.

Over 350 languages and dialects are spoken throughout the archipelago,' and Sukarno realized that his country needed a common vocabulary in order to unite people from the many islands and cultures . He recruited an international team of linguists, and Bahasa Indonesia was the highly successful result . Based on Malay, it avoid so many of the tense changes, irregular verbs, and other complications that characterize most languages . By the early 1970s, the majority o f Indonesians spoke it, although they continued to rely on Javanese and other local dialects within their own communities.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by MoneyGreen(m): 4:17pm On Oct 06, 2014
AfricanApple:
its becos of pple like u dat good post don't enter front page. wet in be d price of d FTC sef
who r you!
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by AfricanApple(f): 11:29pm On Oct 06, 2014
MoneyGreen:
who r you!
a beautiful brilliant intelligent Lady named African apple
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by aspirebig: 5:48am On Oct 08, 2014
It is a bad trend, most modern days couples cannot even speak their languages, so now will their children learn it ? Most people prefer speaking English to their native language. It in the next 100yrs, some languages will be history as they would have gone into extinction.

Mods FP tins pls....
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 7:43am On Oct 08, 2014
Being modernised has nothing to do with not speaking your tongue. If you can not speak your native tongue then you are a disgrace. Being modernised means that you know how to utilise technology for the amelioration or the benefit of a group of people. The Japanese are speaking their language, the Chinese have held onto their language, the Indians have held onto their various languages.

Selling out your language or your culture does not mean you are modernised, it just means you are a total sellout. It means that you don't appreciate who you are as a human being.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by MoneyGreen(m): 12:22pm On Oct 08, 2014
AfricanApple:
a beautiful brilliant intelligent Lady named African apple
Wow! I wanted to say pics or I don't believe but after checkin ur profile I give.. kiss

Truly beautiful.. Hw u doing? kiss
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by dekung(m): 1:43pm On Oct 08, 2014
Funny how we have sold out ourselves into slavery such that we willingly abandoned our own Languages and names. Today you hear people call their children Jewish, British and American names so that they may just feel and cool. When I was christening my last child I gave him one of our Local Yoruba names, Alabi and guess what? The pastor who came to conduct the ceremony frowned at it because, even though he himself is a Yoruba man he doesn't know the meaning of Alabi. However, when I told him Another name, Daniel, he accepted without question. Thankfully I am a core Yoruba man and I will not trade my heritage, thus all my children are addressed by their Yoruba names and they speak and understand the language even though they are still very young. I once went for a birthday party and I was talking with my five year old son in Yoruba, and a lady asked "does he understand what you are telling him?" I said yes, why not? My son speaks good English with good diction and he also speaks Yoruba. Infact if anyone acts surprised he tells them he is a Yoruba boy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
This are the kind of topic that should be on the front page, wonder why it's been ignored. Linda Ikeji and co, which have no effect on people's life is constantly pushed to the front page endlessly.
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 9:34pm On Oct 09, 2014
aspirebig:
It is a bad trend, most modern days couples cannot even speak their languages, so now will their children learn it ? Most people prefer speaking English to their native language. It in the next 100yrs, some languages will be history as they would have gone into extinction.

Mods FP tins pls....

I still repeat, do not blame them. If the official language in Nigeria is Hausa for example, this kind of problems wont occur. Kids will study in Hausa, write in Hausa, watch televisions, documentaries in Hausa and so on. Like I wrote earlier, the grip is less from parents only.

Take people in the core north for example, they speak only Hausa but cant write in it, why?? I am only trying to say that if it is the official language, you will study with it, banks, public offices etc will use this language hence, it wont die off.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 9:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
dekung:
Funny how we have sold out ourselves into slavery such that we willingly abandoned our own Languages and names. Today you hear people call their children Jewish, British and American names so that they may just feel and cool. When I was christening my last child I gave him one of our Local Yoruba names, Alabi and guess what? The pastor who came to conduct the ceremony frowned at it because, even though he himself is a Yoruba man he doesn't know the meaning of Alabi. However, when I told him Another name, Daniel, he accepted without question. Thankfully I am a core Yoruba man and I will not trade my heritage, thus all my children are addressed by their Yoruba names and they speak and understand the language even though they are still very young. I once went for a birthday party and I was talking with my five year old son in Yoruba, and a lady asked "does he understand what you are telling him?" I said yes, why not? My son speaks good English with good diction and he also speaks Yoruba. Infact if anyone acts surprised he tells them he is a Yoruba boy.

Do not blame them, dem no know. In Nigeria, the more fluent you are in English, the more knowledgable they assume you to become. They were most likely born in the period when English is the official language, that is the reality they are used to and I am sure some might consider you insane and ''old fashioned'' for keeping unto your culture, what makes you a Yoruba man.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2014
myads890:
There is no where in my post where I suggested English to be our common language. However, whether you like it or not that's probably going to the case judging by the profeciency of your write up and also by the fact that among the youths being hip is speaking fluent English.

Either way, we have a problem and we need a solution. If English will solve out problem so be it and if our leaders can be smart enough to replicate your Indonesian story(which I doubt) then so be it. At the end of the day we need to move forward and our culture and beliefs are not helping. If we truly want ONE Nigeria then we all have to make sacrifices

Of course that will be the case especially with a country filled with peeps like you who sees nothing wrong with that. The youth are just victim of the society they grew up in. Since there were born, speaking English has been the ''in'' thing. They have been brainwashed into perceiving English language as superior and posh, I blame the leaders for deamining their native language. You need to go to other country that uphold their true value and culture, and you will know how a healthy society should be.

Besides, English can never be a solution, it is more of a damage instead. You are really ignorant and a true sell out. Go to England and tell them to replace their language with yoruba, and you'll realize how idiotic that sounds.

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 11, 2014
Fulaman198:
Being modernised has nothing to do with not speaking your tongue. If you can not speak your native tongue then you are a disgrace. Being modernised means that you know how to utilise technology for the amelioration or the benefit of a group of people. The Japanese are speaking their language, the Chinese have held onto their language, the Indians have held onto their various languages.

Selling out your language or your culture does not mean you are modernised, it just means you are a total sellout. It means that you don't appreciate who you are as a human being.

Even in AU (African Union), the official language are Arab, Portuges, French and English. Compare that to EU and you will wonder if African leaders are truly for the interest of Africans

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 9:23pm On Oct 11, 2014
dahonestboss:

Even in AU (African Union), the official language are Arab, Portuges, French and English. Compare that to EU and you will wonder if African leaders are truly for the interest of Africans

I agree 110%

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by juman(m): 5:50am On Oct 12, 2014
This is a small problem if we have serious minded government.
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by myads890(m): 1:55pm On Oct 12, 2014
How can I be a sell out to an already sold country? What sounds idotic is the fact that you've ony pointed out the obvious without offering a solution. If your solution is better than mine then you can criticize mine.

dahonestboss:

Of course that will be the case especially with a country filled with peeps like you who sees nothing wrong with that. The youth are just victim of the society they grew up in. Since there were born, speaking English has been the ''in'' thing. They have been brainwashed into perceiving English language as superior and posh, I blame the leaders for deamining their native language. You need to go to other country that uphold their true value and culture, and you will know how a healthy society should be.

Besides, English can never be a solution, it is more of a damage instead. You are really ignorant and a true sell out. Go to England and tell them to replace their language with yoruba, and you'll realize how idiotic that sounds.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Oriki Of Omo Ede - What Is Your Oriki / Fulani/ Hausa Myths, Mythology And Legends / Group Calls For Suspension Of Emir Sanusi's Of Kano (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.