Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed (33155 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: Low Turnout Mars Schools Resumption In Lagos State / Ebola: NUT Asks Teachers To Ignore Sept. 22 / Primary And Secondary Schools To Now Resume Sept 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Beazy(f): 6:42am On Sep 10, 2014
The House of Representatives said on Tuesday that a postponement of the September 22 resumption date for private and public primary/secondary schools in the country was likely.
It explained that it had directed its Committee on Education to take “another look” at the date in view of the fact that the outbreak of the Ebola Virus Disease in the country had yet to be fully contained.
The Deputy Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Victor Ogene, who conveyed the position of the House in Abuja, said there was still apprehension among parents and guardians over the Federal Government’s decision to change the earlier resumption date of October 13 to September 22.
It will be recalled that the Minister of Education, Mr. Ibrahim Shekarau, had earlier stated that the October 13 resumption date was to give health officers enough time to bring the EVD under control.
However, following protests by private school owners, the government made a U-turn and opted for September 22.
But, Ogene said the leadership of the House was concerned over the fresh protests by the public, especially parents and guardians.
He added that the House asked the committee to look into the matter urgently “in the overall interest of the pupils and students, parents and guardian and the general well-being of the entire country.”
Ogene said, “You will recall that upon the outbreak of the dreaded Ebola virus disease in Nigeria, the House Committee on Health rose up to the occasion by interfacing with the health authorities – the result of which is the positive containment efforts and call-off of the strike by doctors in the country.”
However, he noted that considering the fact that some persons were still under surveillance, the House felt it had the responsibility to ensure the safety of children.
He also told journalists that the House was duty-bound to safeguard the entire country from a likely further spread of the disease.
The lawmaker said the committee would come up with recommendations on the appropriate and safe date to re-open the schools.
He added that on September 8, a group, Africa Health, Human and Social Development Information Service, had advised against the re-opening of the schools.
The group had warned that re-opening schools now could put the lives of over 80 million school children and teachers at risk.
Sources: www.punchng.com/news/reps-want-sept-22-schools-resumption-date-changed/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Mutuwa(m): 6:46am On Sep 10, 2014
we de wait..
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by bigt2(m): 6:51am On Sep 10, 2014
It sould be changed to even December . I don't trust Ebola.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Moblord(m): 6:55am On Sep 10, 2014
Na them go tire o..
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Saheed9: 7:40am On Sep 10, 2014
Those Proprietors are only concerned with their pockets

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by mrvance(m): 8:27am On Sep 10, 2014
Hehehe...i thibk it should jst b left for dat october

2 Likes

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 10, 2014
Saheed9: Those Proprietors a only concerned with their pockets
Don't mind them, greedy lot. I'm even more disappointed that their interest is placed above that of innocent children.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by goodygirl1(f): 8:58am On Sep 10, 2014
May God save us...
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by dulaman: 9:25am On Sep 10, 2014
please we are tired of the break already, don't postponed anything.something must always kill a man
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by nwaobitex: 9:40am On Sep 10, 2014
ok
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 10, 2014
Lol! Let dem resume back to school!
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Akshow: 10:37am On Sep 10, 2014
Issorait
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by ibizgirl(f): 10:42am On Sep 10, 2014
You must be a proprietor.

dulaman: please we are tired of the break already, don't postponed anything.something must always kill a man

7 Likes

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by hushmail: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2014
i even recommend january

ebola own no get part 2

5 Likes

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 10, 2014
If they resume I teach if they don't I don't teach ~ corper .

6 Likes

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Evathyst(f): 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2014
If skul shld resume by Sept 22,den I'll av no choice Dan to giv up on ds country. For Pete's sake, why is it difficult for some pple to think beyond profit & loss for once? All ds ebola trouble ds country is facing now can be traced to jst one index case. Who knows if some other cases of illegal immigrants are waiting to explode(God forbid). Imagine how disastrous it wil be if jst a kid contracts ds deadly disease? D mother wld definitely be infected, d siblings wont be spared, d playmates as well. If index case 1 had claimed so many lives despite being discovered so early, imagine wat index case 2,3,4,5,6......infinity wil cause.

Well, one beautiful thing abt democracy is dt thr little compulsion to obey certain directives. In dt case, if I say my pickin dem own resumption tym never reach. Who go query me? Afterall, a living dog is better Dan a dead lion.

If not 4d fact dt ds thread is about life & death, wld av celebrated my presence on fp for for d first tym in ds week. lipsrsealed

God, in ur hands lie d future of Nigeria. cry

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Sparklesebony: 1:17pm On Sep 10, 2014
For the safety of all, schools' resumption date should be postponed until ebola becomes a thing of the past.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
whatever
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Babyboy1986(m): 1:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
Ok ooooO
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by saxwizard(m): 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
I said it..if its not in favour of there pocket it is not going to be made real. ....
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by anonimi: 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
It is good to see our Reps should do something meaningful for once with all the mega millions we pay them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by jmoore(m): 1:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
What about tertiary institutions?
What about political rallies?
What about markets?
What about public transportation?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
resumption should be postponed indefinitely.

If Ebola should enter school,the effect would better be imagined.

Health is wealth.

Mind you,I own a school.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
Good!#EbolaMustGo
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by ayusco85(m): 1:23pm On Sep 10, 2014
Good move, even though most of their kids are not schooling in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by kstyle2(m): 1:23pm On Sep 10, 2014
It's only a bipolar simpleton that will wnt schs to open on the 22nd. God forbid if a kid gets the virus. We all knw how kids are-always playing with their frnds. It will be so easy to spread d virus 2 oda kids. Meanwhile, d ministry of health said if schs shld open on d 22nd, then the same schs must hav a functioning sick bay, hand sanitizers must be available. But how mny schs will oblige to this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by EddyNumerouno(m): 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
considering how kids play, and the amount of supervision in alot of schools presently....make dem dey play for house till futher notice angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by yogun(f): 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Resumption of schools shld be postponed till every trace of Ebola is out of our country.

We need to step up our ante to ensure that EBOLA is out of Africa.

God help us all
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by ikes9(m): 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Safety of the children and teachers is the most important thing....let them postpone it..till Nigeria is free of Ebola
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Mk una no rememba our unioo...wait till I grad....
Re: Reps Want Sept 22 Schools’ Resumption Date Changed by oluseyiforjesus(m): 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
They should ooooooo, it will disrupt my journey if they resume............

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

University Of Calabar 2015/2016 Post-utme Date And Sitting Arrangement. / UNILAG Speaks On MC Oluomo’s Invitation To Campus Event / National Open University Of Nigeria (abuja Study Centre)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.