Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable (1982 Views)

Obasanjo’s Bells University Graduates 21 Students With 1st Class Degrees / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Afam Nduaguba Made It At Havard University, Graduates As Stellar Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by Kagawa: 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
They say many Nigerian graduates are not employable, you will beg to differ until you have gone through rigorous and time wasting recruitment process of trying to get the right person for the job.

Take this 4 cases.
Case 1: A media company needs to recruit staff for a target driven role; ‘we need you to get us 2.5 milion naira in sales by the end of the month’ the company says. Now during the recruitment process, 70% of the interviewees did not properly research the company so as to get in depth knowledge. When asked, one says ‘I think the company does….’ another says ‘the company is into…..’ but the look on his face shows he’s not even sure.

These are the kind of individuals firms see everyday at interviews, and at some point a firm desperate to fill the role takes on a staff with no track achievements but promises that the goal can be achieved. A month later, there is no result, no money, and the firm has no choice but to pay that same staff who in his first 2 weeks became complacent on the job, waits to be spoon fed rather than hit the ground running as promised. The staff who has continued to murmur on how some things are not achievable for a company that is looking to disrupt the market due to their uncanny approach and model. Didn’t he see these things when he was applying for the job?

Case 2: After the interview process, this same company finds another individual who promises heaven if employed. Now the company is skeptical about this move since the other recruited individual has produced nothing. Now the company starts thinking; “if this individual can do this, why is she waiting to be officially employed”.
Now if I was this particular individual I would request a form of identification and agreement with the company to get a certain percentage of any job I pull in plus my salary. But if I’m not able to get anything by the month’s end, I get nothing.

You see if one thinks this way, it gives one wings to fly, because the thought of not getting anything becomes your nightmare, for one its either all or nothing thus making one go all out. But on the other hand, if you are sure you will get paid whether you meet your goal or not, then subconsciously there is no real ginger to achieve it.

Case 3: A digital company looks to employ a content developer and during the recruitment process comes across an individual who is awaiting youth service. Now this individual says is she’s willing to learn a few things but has developed great content in the past. So they give her the benefit of the doubt and then proceed with the second stage of the recruitment where she’s to develop a trial content, the exact type the firm needs. And on the day of this trials,the individual refuses to proceed unless she’s told of the other benefits the job attracts.

Its right to demand for what is ours yes? But what is wrong with this? Over confidence. This is the problem with many Nigerians today. We boast of what we can do even when we have done nothing, we boast of the big things we have done even though they are actually little. In many cases we over assume that we are bigger than certain things and are over confident when in truth we are far below it. For this lad, that was the end of the interview.

Case 4: A young lady looks to work in a broadcasting corporation. It is her dream job she says to a friend of a friend of hers named Esiab. She tells him that she has been told she must have a background in broadcasting or she can’t get that dream job. Now Esiab thinks for a moment and then comes up with an idea. He says to her; “If you are really good at this, then damn all the things people tell you and go all out, start Vlogging. Youtube is free and you have a smart phone with a front camera, so get on with it. Broadcast onto your phone’s camera capitalizing on the latest trends. Share your opinion clearly albeit being creative. If you are able to get upto 20 videos onto youtube, share it with friends on social media and a few months you’ll be a youtube star and if you still want to work for a broadcasting corporation, those videos are your CV, no employer would turn you down seeing your youtube hits and viewership. Because by then you won’t be saying to them ‘I can do it’, you’ll be saying ‘I have done it’, you will be more than the next individual with a paper resume.

Now as easy and great as this idea sounds, not many people will do this, 70% will rather sit at home and continue peddling their resumes to employers just like the rest of a thousand other people applying for the same job albeit walloping in despondent poordom. In today’s Nigeria, young individuals have become lazy, they wait till there’s an office seat, I.D card and promise of salary before they actually hit the ground running and prove their worth. They have become complacent and prefer to be spoon fed. As an emerging economy, as long we continue to think in this way, many will remain jobless, hungry and useless and this does not help the nation’s GDP.

See more; - http://thebusinessaim.com.ng/these-4-cases-show-why-nigerian-university-graduates-are-still-unemployable/

------------------

Regardless of your grade, 1. 2.1, 2.2, many Nigerian university graduates don't know jack sh1t.

I am posting this because of this article I read here on Nairaland....

https://www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1

------------------------------------------NOW READ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by TRADELYN: 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
In life today, there is no 'One-Fit-All' rule...

Whether you think you are can or not, you are right!

Never Give Up...
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by Noneroone(m): 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
Higher education - the opium of Nigerian youths.
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by destino24(m): 3:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
this 2.1, 2.2 ish is becoming outrageously boring

1 Like

Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by Haywhymido(m): 4:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Na today?? Everyday na to dey see lists, na wa o.
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
op since u are an advocate of 'case 2' y dont u go n join GNLD

1 Like

Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by dreamchazer: 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
FRONT PAGE!!
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by rattlesnake(m): 6:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
No JOB

Hear me again NO JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by lyricalpontiff(m): 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
Good post
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by ChiSun27(m): 9:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
Below is what kills Nigerians:

This is the problem with many Nigerians today. We boast of what we can do even when we have done nothing, we boast of the big things we have done even though they are actually little. In many cases we over assume that we are bigger than certain things and are over confident when in truth we are far below it.

Just like the OP said...we must change our mentality about the above stated.
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by tonychristopher: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
I Am Loving This...I Met A FRIEND SHE US PRETTY ANDSHE HAS BEEN JOBLESS FOR YEARS...SHE KEEPS SAYING THAT THOSE THAT GET JOBS IN LAGOS ATE THE ONES THAT TO LAGOS...IN HER OPINION THE ONES BORN IN LAGOS DON'T GET JOB

I TOLD HER THAT ITS SIMPLE....... THE ONES THAT VISIT LAGOS CAME SOLELY TO HUtsl THEY ARE THE ONES THAT DO INSURANCE MARKETING AND TAKE JOBS OTHERS WON'T TAKE...WHY COS THEY NEED TO SURVIVE AND EXPECTATION ARE HIGH...THEY GET TRAINED IN JOBS AND MAKE VITAL CONTACTS AND MOVE UP....BUT THOSE THAT ARE BORN HERE CAN BE COMPLACENT AT WORST THEY HAVE ROOF OVER THEIR HEAD AND GOOD FOOD FREE OF CHARGE....SO THE BOTTOM LINE ISN'T BIG CV BUT REXPERIENCE....THAT HAPPENED TO ME AND I AM GROUNDED IN WHAT I DO AND STILL LEARN ON DAILY BASES...MAKING CONTACTS ALSO

WISH THEM LUCK...WHAT THESE YOUNG GRADUATE DON'T GET IS WHAT YOU SEE ON THE FIELD IS DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YO WERE TOLD BY ONE OLD OUTDATED LECTURER

DON'T TAKE JOBS COS THE PAY IS HIGH ...START FROM SMALL JOB BUILD YOUR EXPERIENCE AND MOVE UP...IF YOU GOT CONTACTS FOR BIG JOBS THAT'S OK

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by ghananotnaija(m): 11:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
This is why Ghanaians and other Africans find plenty of good professional opportunities in Nigeria: there is very little able competition!
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by spicyuzo(m): 4:24am On Sep 12, 2014
ghananotnaija: This is why Ghanaians and other Africans find plenty of good professional opportunities in Nigeria: there is very little able competition!

You have spoken well........

Now, Begin to clap for yourself...

Your mediocrity is Complex
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 12, 2014
I think it is high time Nigerian Should be more creative, It is true that most of our university graduates cannot even defend their certificates, think when in school they read just to pass exams not to get clear understanding and be expert in their fields. Unemployment Rate in Nigeria Is The Worst Even Those With Jobs Are Losing Them Left, Right And Centre...

Let our youths be self dependent, instead of being a job seeker, they should be job creators
Re: These 4 Cases Show Why Nigerian University Graduates Are Still Unemployable by tck2000(m): 10:36am On Jul 20, 2019
Hm

(1) (Reply)

NIIT Releases Her 16th NIIT Scholarship Exam Result 2015 / UTME 2019: JAMB Reveals ‘real Reasons’ Why Results Are Not Out (find Out Here) / PHOTO (WAEC): No Yoruba State Among The Top 10 Literate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.