Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 (20620 Views)

Milemaster 5w 30 Engine Oil Replacement / Enough Been Said On (manufacturer Engine Oil)5w 20, 5w 30, 0w 40 ,10w 40, 5w 40 / Mobil-1 5w20 And 5w-30 Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Hardheolar(m): 9:34am On Sep 14, 2014
This piece is necessitated by the
unprecedented number of calls and
subsequent enquiries that the speech I gave
at a recent Nigerian lubricants blenders’
event, which was published on this page not
too long ago, excited. Many who called
wondered aloud what the fuss was about
using any particular type of engine oil in their
vehicles.
Let me start with a simple layman’s
explanation of why you need to use the right
engine oil, indeed the very grade that’s
specified by the manufacturer, in your
automobile (especially if the vehicle is a
high-end one or if it’s not older than eight
years). Modern automotive engines are not
only finely cut in the intricacies of their
design, but are designed with materials that
should be fully treated as instructed by the
manufacturers.
This is why the “religious” observance of the
manufacturers’ stated grade of engine oil is
very imperative. What is the meaning of the
SAE, Society of American Engineers
recommended, grading (like SAE 20-W-50,
SAE 0-W-40, etc) that you see on the
containers of engine oil?
The first numeral, specifically, say, the “20” in
the 20-W-50, refers to the minimum
environmental temperature under which the
particular engine oil should be used. It’s
obvious that with this temperature
classification this blend of oil can only be
used in a tropical environment like ours here.
However, the “0” in 0-W-40 indicates that the
engine oil with this temperature classification
can be used in regions of the world where the
temperature falls to as low as zero degree
Celsius.
The “W” simply stands for winter; and this is
why I tell motorists in Nigeria not to really
bother about whatever you see between the
SAE up onto the W. Our weather here cannot
go below 20 degree Celsius, so none of the
oil can freeze in our environment here.
The most important part of the engine oil
grading that an average motorist must
adhere strictly to in Nigeria is the last
number after the wintry “W”. That number
indicates the level of the refinement of the oil,
which whether you use the oil in Nigeria or
Siberia easily defines its discernible viscosity
or thickness (“50” is obviously thicker than
“40” and “30” is quite more viscous than
“20”). So, if the manufacturer specifies that
you must use an oil grade with SAE 5-W-20
(like most vehicles from 2012) because of the
thinness of the cuttings between the moving
parts of the internal fixtures of the engine
and the crevices, and you decide to use the
most popular synthetic oil in Nigeria, which is
SAE 0-W-40, because of its brand allure.
What that means is that the thickness of the
oil is such that your engine will not be
properly lubricated because the oil of your
choice is so thick it cannot pass through the
thin spaces between the engine’s moving
parts! This scenario will even be more
stressful on your engine when you’re starting
the vehicle either in the morning or after it
has been parked for a while. This is usually
the time when wear-and-tear occurs the
most on engines.
The oil would have settled in the sump at the
bottom of the engine. So, when you’re
starting the vehicle in the morning or after a
long rest the speed at which the oil gets to
all the necessary parts of the engine will be,
amongst other factors, a function of
consistency with the manufacturer’s specified
viscosity grading. In conclusion, just look at
it this way: water and palm oil are both liquid
substances, but if subjected to the same
pressure of movement, water, which is far
less viscous or thinner than palm-oil, will
move faster.

source: http://automedicsafrica.com/new/use-5w-20-5w-30/

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by bimbor(m): 10:17am On Sep 14, 2014
Is it safe to use a Semi-Synthetic 5w-20? Or it has to be Synthetic?
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:30am On Sep 15, 2014
bimbor: Is it safe to use a Semi-Synthetic 5w-20? Or it has to be Synthetic?

My brother, just an analogy. Faulty though it might be, but there are important take home lessons nonetheless

The majority of brake systems use synthetic fluid (DOT 3, Dot 4, Dot 5.1 and the like), now you now just how hard the brakes work, and the vast majority of car manufacturers swear by synthetic brake fluid.

Engines work just as hard if not harder, so for me i will choose synthetic engine oil over dyno anytime any day!

I have posted somewhere in this forum that since i switched I don't get the low oil pressure warning at startup which i used to get using dyno, at first i was scared but later i came to understand that it means my engine wears less at startup, so I felt ok with myself for the switch
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Ikenna351(m): 8:57am On Sep 15, 2014
Op, I strongly disagree with the title of this topic, which will misinform a lot of people.

Please, not all cars produced between 2000 - 2014 require 5W-20 & 5W-30. For example, Peugeot warned against the use these two oil grades on some of their engines produced in those years. That the Japs engines require those grades of oil doesn't mean all brand of cars do the same. Peugeot designed some of their engines within the years you mentioned to run on Synthetic based/semi-synthetic, fully synthetic oils , like 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, 5W-40, etc.

Ikenna

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by anneki(m): 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
@ Idarachodb.

What viscosity were you using prior to your switch?
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by billy187(m): 7:07am On Sep 16, 2014
Hello there! nice write up! I was wondering if you could help me out. Y'see, my main commuter, an 11 year old ford focus is supposed to run on 5w-20. However, due to age and location factor, it was recommended i use a thicker oil by everyone i met. Coupled with the fact that 5w- 20 or even 5w-30 is almost impossible to find here in Ghana ( spent an entire day looking for some!), i finally resorted to semi synthetic 10w-40. I'll want to ask, is 10w-40 for an 11 year old 5w-20 specced car suitable? Or its overkill?
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by croxx86: 6:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
Do your research properly, there is a reason 5w-20 is recommended for temperate regions. This is because the temperature falls below 0 degree Celsius and as such u need a very thin oil for lubrication. But if u use that same oil in Nigeria ( Kano, Sokoto etc) where the temperature is quite high....an average of 30 degree Celsius, that oil would become so so thin and as such the lubrication won't be effective.
Mobil and Co don't manufacture that in Nigeria cos our ambient temperature coupled with that of the engine would break down that oil.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
bimbor: Is it safe to use a Semi-Synthetic 5w-20? Or it has to be Synthetic?

The best place to learn about engine oil is [url]BobIsTheOilGuy.Com[/url]

Dino or Syn, the choice is yours unless the manufacturer specifically calls for syn.

Th best advice, whatever oil you use is to change to a fresh oil at a prudent time. Oil is the lifeline of the engine.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
billy187: Hello there! nice write up! I was wondering if you could help me out. Y'see, my main commuter, an 11 year old ford focus is supposed to run on 5w-20. However, due to age and location factor, it was recommended i use a thicker oil by everyone i met. Coupled with the fact that 5w- 20 or even 5w-30 is almost impossible to find here in Ghana ( spent an entire day looking for some!), i finally resorted to semi synthetic 10w-40. I'll want to ask, is 10w-40 for an 11 year old 5w-20 specced car suitable? Or its overkill?

Refer to your owners manual or search online for your cars owners manual.

The manual will give a range of oil weights that is acceptable.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
Hardheolar:

The “W” simply stands for winter; and this is
why I tell motorists in Nigeria not to really
bother about whatever you see between the
SAE up onto the W.

"The first number, followed by W represents the low temperature viscosity, 5W, 10W, 15W... the lower this number, the more fluid at low temperature the oils, the easier the engine starts."

I'll say this to any Nigerian that cherishes his engine.

Please pay attention to the numbers in front of the W, it's crucial.

Yes Nigeria is not Siberia and we have no winter (though I still remember the chills I felt during Hamatan when I lived in Saki), but when you start your engine that has tight tolerances and specific designed oil passages you want oil to gush though the engines veils like a muther.

So 0W20 flows thiner at cold temperatures than 20W50.

The modern engines are built with so much tight tolerances that you would be doing your engines a disfavor by using too thick on an initial oil weight. Also your fuel mileage will surfer.

I don talk my own, CityNG who has never lost an engine ever before and many cars goes to 350,000 miles.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by billy187(m): 8:22pm On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG:

Refer to your owners manual or search online for your cars owners manual.

The manual will give a range of oil weights that is acceptable.

Totally did, however my manual recommends 5w-20 motorcraft only. Went on the net to find out why and I noticed it has something to do with tightened regulations for that time. Anyways, the car is Canada specced. From the little I know living in Montana, it gets hideously cold up there!
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
billy187:

Totally did, however my manual recommends 5w-20 motorcraft only. Went on the net to find out why and I noticed it has something to do with tightened regulations for that time. Anyways, the car is Canada specced. From the little I know living in Montana, it gets hideously cold up there!

The manual will recommend a range of oils for temperatures.

If it were my car I would use 5W 20 or 30 and would not deviate.

Nigeria or Ghana is not unique and not on Mars, similar temperates to the US. The Ford Focus is a world car so engine has been specced to run in Alaska (maybe using an engine block heater) as well as Death Valley (they do testings in all these places by the way).

Good luck.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
LomoMike, if you have time, read this article again.

Frankly I think the thread should be deleted as what it encourages will lead to disastrous results for vehicle owners.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
Having read through this thread its important I bring my very candid opinion. This is a candid unbiased advice to all car owners STRICTLY FOLLOW YOUR CAR MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFIED ENGINE OIL AND ITS SAE RATING DON'T blame anyone for catastrophic engine failure due to negligence rising from disobedience and non-adherence to Manufacturer's specification.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by anneki(m): 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
CityNG: LomoMike, if you have time, read this article again.

Frankly I think the thread should be deleted as what it encourages will lead to disastrous results for vehicle owners.

and what does it encourage?
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 17, 2014
anneki:

and what does it encourage?

Peruse the article and form your own individual opinion. Thanks.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by anneki(m): 10:28pm On Sep 17, 2014
CityNG:

Peruse the article and form your own individual opinion. Thanks.

OP's post suggests that we follow manufacturers recommendation. I can't understand why that is dangerous hence my trying to get clarification on what you meant.

All your posts in this thread are in line with what the OP is saying. So I am a bit confused when you suggest the thread should be deleted.

It isn't about my forming my own opinion but more about the mixed signals you seem to be sending.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by icemann(m): 11:01pm On Sep 17, 2014
billy187: Hello there! nice write up! I was wondering if you could help me out. Y'see, my main commuter, an 11 year old ford focus is supposed to run on 5w-20. However, due to age and location factor, it was recommended i use a thicker oil by everyone i met. Coupled with the fact that 5w- 20 or even 5w-30 is almost impossible to find here in Ghana ( spent an entire day looking for some!), i finally resorted to semi synthetic 10w-40. I'll want to ask, is 10w-40 for an 11 year old 5w-20 specced car suitable? Or its overkill?

If you can't find a 5w 30, use the 10w -40. 12 years ago my dad bought a 2000 carina E, it specified 5w -30 but we used 10w -40 for 8 years and the engine ran good before we sold it. I owned a 1996 accord and I used 10w -40 (I think it was super visco) for 4 years before selling it. Don’t end up buying 20W 40/50. Repackaged as 5w 30.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 17, 2014
anneki:

OP's post suggests that we follow manufacturers recommendation. I can't understand why that is dangerous hence my trying to get clarification on what you meant.

All your posts in this thread are in line with what the OP is saying. So I am a bit confused when you suggest the thread should be deleted.

It isn't about my forming my own opinion but more about the mixed signals you seem to be sending.

Excellent, it seems that you've formed at least two opinions.

Have a nice day.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by sooperrescue(m): 11:45pm On Sep 17, 2014
The Op is right. Following the manufacturer's specifications is the norm. But can you advise someone in Kano or Maiduguri to do so? Using 5w 20 is good but it is not all of these oils that are synthetic. What the Op should tell us is if we are to use synthetic or conventional oil. I saw a litre of Mobil 1 made in America, and their best grade was 5w30 with GF 5 and 2 dexos. I dont see that with the Mobil 1 being sold in Nigeria. So when a Car manufacturer recommends Mobil 1 in America that has anti sludge protection, and you now bring it to Nigeria and because the Mobil 1 label is pasted on the car, you use Nigeria's Mobil 1 without the anti sludge protection. Is the Manufacturer's specification ideal? Ikenna also knows the politics with TOTAL and Peugeot. Can the oils in TOTAL Nigeria's stable work very well with Peugeot's new brand of vehicles? No.! Go through TOTAL's website and you will find strange engine oils that they claim is being sold here but actually, we have never even dreamt of it. So they expect a 408 to use Q9000 when there are superior oils from their stable in France that is recommended for the 408. Is the Manufacturer right? Oil has grades and 5 w 20 and 5 w 30 are limited to 35 degrees. 5 w 40 or 0w 40 can give an engine a protection of 50 degrees hence all our local players are producing the 40s oil but when you have the gf 5 and 2 dexos oil type, a 5w 30 gives 50 degrees protection. That is the type of oil that the manufacturers recommend and not the conventional and semi synthetic oils that are being sold in Nigeria.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by sooperrescue(m): 12:22am On Sep 18, 2014
An example

Alert! CONSUMER ALERT!

XTREME 2000TM Super Premium SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil, API SF
MG Lube, Inc. New York, NY
Purchased in: Maple Shade US Gas, Maple Shade, NJ
Date of purchase: 6/2/2012

NOTE: This product or company is not associated or affiliated with Martin Lubricants, owner and manufacturer of the Xtreme® automotive oils and lubricants.
The labels for XTREME 2000TM Super Premium SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil claim the oil is a 10W-30 motor oil meeting API SF. PQIA's test results for this sample show it is not a 10W-30. The analysis also shows lower levels of additives than would normally be expected for an SF engine oil. In addition, the product tested has a very high level of silicon which is commonly associated with abrasive contaminants.

Use of this oil could potentially cause damage in modern automobile engines.

Although the label on this product says "For all foreign and domestic cars," API SF is an obsolete specification that is not recommended for engines built after 1988. The label on this product fails to give adequate warning to consumers about its limited use.

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by sooperrescue(m): 12:34am On Sep 18, 2014
Another.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Nobody: 12:52am On Sep 18, 2014
sooperrescue: An example

Alert! CONSUMER ALERT!

XTREME 2000TM Super Premium SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil, API SF
MG Lube, Inc. New York, NY
Purchased in: Maple Shade US Gas, Maple Shade, NJ
Date of purchase: 6/2/2012

NOTE: This product or company is not associated or affiliated with Martin Lubricants, owner and manufacturer of the Xtreme® automotive oils and lubricants.
The labels for XTREME 2000TM Super Premium SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil claim the oil is a 10W-30 motor oil meeting API SF. PQIA's test results for this sample show it is not a 10W-30. The analysis also shows lower levels of additives than would normally be expected for an SF engine oil. In addition, the product tested has a very high level of silicon which is commonly associated with abrasive contaminants.

Use of this oil could potentially cause damage in modern automobile engines.

Although the label on this product says "For all foreign and domestic cars," API SF is an obsolete specification that is not recommended for engines built after 1988. The label on this product fails to give adequate warning to consumers about its limited use.

I wouldn't even have removed that oil brand from the shelf.

I use Mobil1 exclusively on my cars that calls for Synthetic (except for the Landrover in which I use diesel synthetic but that's for another thread). I use it not because I'm an elitist but because they are not going to film flam me. They produce good products and I trust them.

For dino oil I use any of the big brands except for Castrol (I had an issue where oil pressure drops when it gets too hot in one of my cars that uses 20W50.

What you did is what most owners should do but doesn't do. Get intimate as to what you're feeding your engine.

This thread had a different title before it was changed, however when you read the article you see this:

"The “W” simply stands for winter; and this is why I tell motorists in Nigeria not to really bother about whatever you see between the SAE up onto the W."

to me this is a very dangerous advice. So the author is telling folks not to worry and not to buy 0 W20, as an example if that is the oil that is called for by the engineers.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by adanny01(m): 12:57am On Sep 18, 2014
croxx86: Do your research properly, there is a reason 5w-20 is recommended for temperate regions. This is because the temperature falls below 0 degree Celsius and as such u need a very thin oil for lubrication. But if u use that same oil in Nigeria ( Kano, Sokoto etc) where the temperature is quite high....an average of 30 degree Celsius, that oil would become so so thin and as such the lubrication won't be effective.
Mobil and Co don't manufacture that in Nigeria cos our ambient temperature coupled with that of the engine would break down that oil.

You misunderstood the multi grading of the engine oil. Imagine it this way, 5w20 is a mix (not literarily) of two grades of oil SAE 5 and SAE 20. The reason why you need both is that the engine at cold startup requires thinner oil that has not frozen to quickly lubricate the engine before damage is done and require a different grade when operating temperature is reached. The same oil is designed to be SAE 5 at cold start but still performs as SAE 20 some minutes later when engine has heated up.

The first grade is dependant on the environmental temperature while the second is not since the operating temperature of the engine (80-90 degrees celsuis) is always above any environmental temperature found anywhere on earth. In effect, you should care more for the second number than the first if you live in tropical areas like Nigeria.

You will still require the manufacturer recommended oil grade even if you live in Maiduguri or Sokoto. Are you aware that the highest temperature ever recorded on earth was still in the USA where you refered to as 'temperate region'. Check your manual again, it didnt and will never say 5w20 for temperate regions only. My american Honda accord has a recomendation of 5w20 or 0w20 nothing more or less. From the two recommendations it tells you that the most important number is the 20 although the 5 is equally important though for a useful short period of time.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by adanny01(m): 1:26am On Sep 18, 2014
Hardheolar:
The first numeral, specifically, say, the “20” in
the 20-W-50, refers to the minimum
environmental temperature under which the
particular engine oil should be used.

Point of correction.

The first 20 and the last 50 are both viscosity ratings. The difference is that the 20 is the rated viscosity for 'winter' while the 50 is rated for when the engine is warm or has reached operating temperature.

Please note that the minimum temperature is well below zero in the negative and varies in different areas at the same time so cannot be directly used to grade an oil for use in a wide range of areas.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by anneki(m): 7:11am On Sep 18, 2014
sooperrescue: The Op is right. Following the manufacturer's specifications is the norm. But can you advise someone in Kano or Maiduguri to do so? Using 5w 20 is good but it is not all of these oils that are synthetic. What the Op should tell us is if we are to use synthetic or conventional oil. I saw a litre of Mobil 1 made in America, and their best grade was 5w30 with GF 5 and 2 dexos. I dont see that with the Mobil 1 being sold in Nigeria. So when a Car manufacturer recommends Mobil 1 in America that has anti sludge protection, and you now bring it to Nigeria and because the Mobil 1 label is pasted on the car, you use Nigeria's Mobil 1 without the anti sludge protection. Is the Manufacturer's specification ideal? Ikenna also knows the politics with TOTAL and Peugeot. Can the oils in TOTAL Nigeria's stable work very well with Peugeot's new brand of vehicles? No.! Go through TOTAL's website and you will find strange engine oils that they claim is being sold here but actually, we have never even dreamt of it. So they expect a 408 to use Q9000 when there are superior oils from their stable in France that is recommended for the 408. Is the Manufacturer right? Oil has grades and 5 w 20 and 5 w 30 are limited to 35 degrees. 5 w 40 or 0w 40 can give an engine a protection of 50 degrees hence all our local players are producing the 40s oil but when you have the gf 5 and 2 dexos oil type, a 5w 30 gives 50 degrees protection. That is the type of oil that the manufacturers recommend and not the conventional and semi synthetic oils that are being sold in Nigeria.

Conventional and semi - synthetics are also recommended by Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, to mention a few. Check your owners manual again.
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by sooperrescue(m): 7:36am On Sep 18, 2014
My owner's manual requires that i use 5w 30 castrol oil but now i am using Ge platinum 5w30 gf5. 2 dexos and all the cars that have used that oil are now singing a new song. I have seen what energy conserving means when you use a good oil. It was on a honda accord v6 and we used Oando syn and the owner confessed that he has never seen his car perform like this with improved fuel economy
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Ikenna351(m): 12:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
sooperrescue: The Op is right. Following the manufacturer's specifications is the norm. But can you advise someone in Kano or Maiduguri to do so? Using 5w 20 is good but it is not all of these oils that are synthetic. What the Op should tell us is if we are to use synthetic or conventional oil. I saw a litre of Mobil 1 made in America, and their best grade was 5w30 with GF 5 and 2 dexos. I dont see that with the Mobil 1 being sold in Nigeria. So when a Car manufacturer recommends Mobil 1 in America that has anti sludge protection, and you now bring it to Nigeria and because the Mobil 1 label is pasted on the car, you use Nigeria's Mobil 1 without the anti sludge protection. Is the Manufacturer's specification ideal? Ikenna also knows the politics with TOTAL and Peugeot. Can the oils in TOTAL Nigeria's stable work very well with Peugeot's new brand of vehicles? No.! Go through TOTAL's website and you will find strange engine oils that they claim is being sold here but actually, we have never even dreamt of it. So they expect a 408 to use Q9000 when there are superior oils from their stable in France that is recommended for the 408. Is the Manufacturer right? Oil has grades and 5 w 20 and 5 w 30 are limited to 35 degrees. 5 w 40 or 0w 40 can give an engine a protection of 50 degrees hence all our local players are producing the 40s oil but when you have the gf 5 and 2 dexos oil type, a 5w 30 gives 50 degrees protection. That is the type of oil that the manufacturers recommend and not the conventional and semi synthetic oils that are being sold in Nigeria.

It pays to ask for clarification for what you don’t know than try to disprove what you don’t know. Because your post above proved you know nothing about Peugeot engines and their oils.

Care to educate us on the Politics between Peugeot and TOTAL you talked about? You mean to tell us Peugeot recommends TOTAL oils for their engines because TOTAL is French as well? Really? When was the last time you saw and opened a Peugeot owners manual? How many brands do they recommend for their engine oils? ESSO & TOTAL, right? Is ESSO not owned by ExxonMobil just like Mobil oils? If yes, how come Peugeot recommends ESSO fluids as well? Is ExxonMobil not American? How come Peugeot recommended ESSO & Mobil LT71141 for their AL4 transmission and not TOATL ATF if they are that biased? How come they recommended ESSO & Mobil JWS339 for their AM6 transmission instead of TOTAL ATF? Or you never thought Peugeot carries out series of tests on their new engines to know which brands and grades of oil best suited for their engines before they roll them out for sales? Or you want me to tell Peugeot, “You guys are wrong. Nairalanders knows better oil grades suited for your engines. So I wont use the brands and grades of oil you recommended for your engines I own”? If I have been using the recommended oils & renewal intervals in my Lions by the manufacturer for years and none of the engines have given any sign of wear, sign of sludge, sign of oil shortage or burn, why then should you know better than me what works best in my Lions? How come my engines love the recommended oils I use in them? Since ESSO oils recommended for my Lion engines are not available in Nigeria, so I must not use the TOTAL oils recommended that are available in Nigeria but use other brands and grades, when I could see what my engines need with my very eyes before me?

TOTAL produces lots of engine oils, while Peugeot recommends only few of them for their engines. TOTAL does not produce engine oils solely for Peugeot engines. I hope its clear now.

You talked about TOTAL oils in Nigeria not suitable for the new 408 engines. Wow! If about 95% of the new 408s I have seen in Nigeria have EW10A engines, what engine oil brands and grades are recommended for that engine please?

And please, you are not supposed to buy oil because its Mobil 1. There could be other Mobil 1 oil grades and type. You don’t buy only with product name, also you check oil grade and type. For example, we have 20W-50 Fully synthetic oil and 20W-50 Mineral oil. We also have 2 TOTAL Quartz 7000. One is 10W-40, while the other is 15W-50 (Both synthetic based). We also have two TOTAL 15W-50 oil grades, one is Quartz 7000, while the other is 15W-50 4x4 (for Trucks, SUVs, etc). W have 3 TOTAL Quartz 9000, but with different oil grades: 0W-40, 5W-40 & 5W-30. So check for brand name, product name, oil grade and oil type while buying engine oil. Product/trade name is not enough.

Below is oil chart/table for XU, EW & ES9 engines from 406 D9 owners manual. These engines are found in 206, 306, 307, 406, 407, 607, 807, etc.

For -35 +45 C, use 0W-40
For -30 +45C, use 5W-40
For -20 +45 C, use 10W 40
For -15 +50 C, use 15W-50
For -5 +50 C, use 20W- 50

From the same manual it reads:
“ ......these fixed operations are to be carried out with Synthetic based oil; Fuel Economy Oil or Synthetic oil may also be used...”

It went on,

“ ....Warning: Do not use Fuel Economy Oil (TOTAL Quartz 9000, 5W-30) in the 2.2 litre 16V petrol engine (EW12)...”

Another warning:

Warning: only use 5W-40 oil for 2.2 litre HDI engine...”

Please to others, adhere to manufacturers oil recommendation, not Nairaland engine oil recommendation, for long engine life span, if you drive a Peugeot. I am a living testimony.

Ikenna
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by sooperrescue(m): 1:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
Hmm, that was a lengthy sermon. In summary, why do Peugeot recommend Esso ATF? Because TOTAL does not have the ATF for their cars. Until recently when they introduced fluide at 42, Total had the fluide 11d that I used in my Renault 18 in Paris in the early 1990s. Go through their website, they dont have any other ATF except Dexron 111, so how can Peugeot recommend ATF from TOTAL that does not have the ability to produce it. I worked with TOTAL for 2 years and in the service sector and I remember when 408 came out, there was unease about the oil it is expected to use. When you listed all those statistics, I was busy searching for the latest brand of Peugeot and all I saw were those government cars, the ones Government buys for their personnel. I have been servicing the 408 of the Nigerian Customs in Abuja until recently and I know what I am talking about. The TOTAL synthetic oils listed in their US subsidiary are not in Nigeria neither the ones in the French subsidiary. And you listed 0w 40 as some of the manufacturer's recommendation. Does TOTAl sell 0w40 in Nigeria? Can a Mercedes Gwagon actually use the Q4x4 15 w 40? You are a guru when it comes to Peugeot repairs, but we study the dynamics of failed engines in the country, why motorists pay a lot to fix their cars meanwhile in other climes, it is easy come easy go. Because there are no standards, we accept whatever junk that are being imported. Why should TOTAL Sticker be on a 408 when they dont have the oil in Nigeria to service the car? These are the list of TOTAL oils.
Classic
Q5000 20w 50
Q7000 15w 50
q 4x4 15w 50
Q 9000 5 w 40.
Have you seen a TOTAL Q9000 5w 30 in Nigeria? This is not Nairaland policy, it is what we observe that we bring to Nairaland as you have just done. TOTAL does not bring it to Nigeria but they send down the 5w40. So those cars listed to use 0w 40, and with TOTAL sticker pasted on it, which oil does the manufacturer wants them to use in Nigeria? 20w 50 synthetic........
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Ikenna351(m): 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2014
To make it easier, look for any PAN 406 production, open the bonnet, look directly behind the right side headlight. You will see a stamp indicating engine oil to be used. It was not put there by TOTAL, but by PAN. What brand and oil grade is stated there? TOTAL Quartz 7000.

The Quartz could mean 10W-40 or 15W-50. But one thing is common, both are Synthetic based oils, not fully synthetic or mineral oils. These cars were produced with those engines till 2008.

Peugeot said you MAY use fuel economy oil or fully synthetic oils. Its "MAY", not must or should. But its ok or even better to use them as well.

Ikenna
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by Ikenna351(m): 2:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
sooperrescue: Hmm, that was a lengthy sermon. In summary, why do Peugeot recommend Esso ATF? Because TOTAL does not have the ATF for their cars. Until recently when they introduced fluide at 42, Total had the fluide 11d that I used in my Renault 18 in Paris in the early 1990s. Go through their website, they dont have any other ATF except Dexron 111, so how can Peugeot recommend ATF from TOTAL that does not have the ability to produce it. I worked with TOTAL for 2 years and in the service sector and I remember when 408 came out, there was unease about the oil it is expected to use. When you listed all those statistics, I was busy searching for the latest brand of Peugeot and all I saw were those government cars, the ones Government buys for their personnel. I have been servicing the 408 of the Nigerian Customs in Abuja until recently and I know what I am talking about. The TOTAL synthetic oils listed in their US subsidiary are not in Nigeria neither the ones in the French subsidiary. And you listed 0w 40 as some of the manufacturer's recommendation. Does TOTAl sell 0w40 in Nigeria? Can a Mercedes Gwagon actually use the Q4x4 15 w 40? You are a guru when it comes to Peugeot repairs, but we study the dynamics of failed engines in the country, why motorists pay a lot to fix their cars meanwhile in other climes, it is easy come easy go. Because there are no standards, we accept whatever junk that are being imported. Why should TOTAL Sticker be on a 408 when they dont have the oil in Nigeria to service the car? These are the list of TOTAL oils.
Classic
Q5000 20w 50
Q7000 15w 50
q 4x4 15w 50
Q 9000 5 w 40.
Have you seen a TOTAL Q9000 5w 30 in Nigeria? This is not Nairaland policy, it is what we observe that we bring to Nairaland as you have just done. TOTAL does not bring it to Nigeria but they send down the 5w40. So those cars listed to use 0w 40, and with TOTAL sticker pasted on it, which oil does the manufacturer wants them to use in Nigeria? 20w 50 synthetic........

I think you didnt read my post correctly. I would suggest you go back and read it again. Because I have treated some of the things you just raised above. And, it seems you are contradicting yourself. I think you should get and read any of the Peugeot owners manual that covers most of the engines i listed in my previous post. It will help you to fully grasp my point.

You said Peugeot does not have ATF when they started using AL4 & AM6 transmissions, right? How come in those same manuals they recommended ESSO ATF for those transmissions, they also recommended or stated TOTAL Fluide AT42 for their Power steering? I thought you said they didnt have ATF at that time? It was not recommended because it wont be good for those transmissions. Will they now recommend what will damage their transmissions just to play solidarity to TOTAL, when ESSO ATF was best suited for the transmission? I really dont understand your point. Because it appears you have some beef with TOTAL, even though its no business of mine.

Go back to that chart i posted earlier: temp against required oil grade. Though, personally, I would like TOTAL to also provide their 10W-40 Quartz 7000 in Nigeria.

My point has always been, out of all the TOTAL engine oils, few that Peugeot recommended for most of their engines are available in Nigeria. The unavailability of the rest for other brands of cars is no business of mine. If you read that chart well, you will see the Quartz 7000 (15W-50) & Quartz 9000 (5W-40) are ok for Peugeot engines listed in my previous post with Nigeria weather. If that is so, why should i be bothered with the ones that are not available that have nothing to the with those engines or non Peugeot engines. The last time I checked, It has laways been, " To Your Tents O Isreal". grin Wetin concern me with 0W-40 bikonu? The chart showed that my engines and most Lion engines do not need that in Nigeria. So what gives? undecided

About 408. You seem not to know how we Roar cheesy We dont say Peugeot 408 or 607 when it comes to recommended engine oil. We say EW10 or ES9 engine. So, you guys supposed to find out what engine are in those 408s. With that, you will know what oil is recommended for it/them. You saw in my previous post where Peugeot warned against use of 5W-30 in EW12 engine. The information was extracted from 406 owners manual. But you will find the same engine in 407, 607, 807, etc. Meaning, the same instruction applies to the 407, 607, etc with that engine. It also means, you can use TOTAL 9000 (5W-30) in other petrol engines in 406, but you cant use the same on EW12 in 406 or 607. So, its the engine that matters, not the car (408). So next time, find out the engine in the 408 you are about to work on. Any petrol engine in 408 with 2.0 badge is EW10A engine. Then find out the recommended engine oils for the engine by Peugeot. If TOTAL Quartz 9000 (5W-40) is among the recommended oils for the engine, then why the complain? grin If the 5W-40 is not there, you can now bite TOTAL with your full 36, anyhow you like. Lol!

Please, I don tire for this argument. I am hungry.

Ikenna
Re: Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 by instinctg(m): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2014
pheeew, interesting

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice On First Car To Buy / Car Change Of Ownership / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.