Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,220 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Academic Advice Needed - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Academic Advice Needed (876 Views)

Academic Advice Needed / Academic Advice Pls Check In / Pls I Need Academic Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2014
Greetings to everyone!

I'm an engineering student in a university located in the southern part of the country. Studying engineering has never been my dream, or maybe it was for a while. I actually went into engineering because my parents deemed it fit to choose a career for me.

Studying the sciences wasn't really something I found easy. Infact, I wrote my waec four times before getting the right grades for my course. First, in my SS2 (GCE); Second, in my SS3; Third and fourth, GCE too.

I wrote my JAMB once though and passed the Post-UME and my name appeared on the admission list. I actually got in via connections that my dad had, because I didn't have my waec result then.

I remember what my parents said when I failed my waec the third time. In the words of my dad, "If someone had told me that my son would be a failure, I wouldn't have believed it." My mum simply kept comparing me with others around who passed their waec in a sitting. I was really hurt.

Well, I got in and bla bla bla, first year came and went and I had a CGPA of 2.14 and a couple of F's. Second year came and it was worse. I ended up having a CGPA of 1.72 and more F's. Third year came and it was a bit better, 1.93 but still some F's.

My parents do not know about this. When they ask, I keep formulating lies and telling them my CGPA rests at 3.21 and they get really angry. I wonder what would happen when they discover the truth. It wouldn't be nice at all.

I don't know if this problem is because I'm studying something which isn't meant for me, or maybe, I'm just an academic nuisance.

Thinking about my dream or career choice, I honestly do not know what I really want to be in life. Although, when I was a kid till lately, I'd always wanted to work in a bank, but reading about how stressful the job could be discouraged me. Also, I love computers but I don't think I can cope with that stuff called programming.

Right now, my plan is writing JAMB again and just starting afresh, but I don't know what exactly I really want to do. No one else knows about this, because I haven't told it to anyone. I can't tell my parents about this because I know they'll freak out, and probably hate me for wasting their money.

I'm on the verge of completing my degree, but I don't think I can go on. I'll eventually graduate with a third class degree and an extra year or two. I think it's actually better starting afresh than going on with something that won't be worth it.

Right now, I'm kinda concerned about my age. I'll be starting afresh when I should be in my final year, and that's quite humiliating but what choice do I have? That would also mean that I'll finally be a graduate at 25, if all goes well.

Please, what do you think I should do?
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Mrval20(m): 9:54pm On Sep 14, 2014
I'm an engineering student just like you, so I'm no expert in career advice.
However, I really think you should follow your heart and go for what you enjoy doing while it's still early. I mean, there must be at least one thing you enjoy doing, which you'd enjoy studying without struggling, and also make a living out of it later in life.
Man, your write up doesn't look like that of a student with a CGPA below 2 points! That simply means you're on the wrong track and would probably be a genius on a different track - JUST FIND IT, BRO!!
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 14, 2014
But you write impeccably, something is really wrong.
The passion to study that engineering is not there at all.
They're just forcing you into what you've little or no interest at.
I think that is what is affecting you.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by hushmail: 10:44pm On Sep 14, 2014
when u r midway on a bridge its best to complete d journey

even it might give u added advantage in a second degree

meanwhile university education is not a guarantee of success
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 10:55am On Sep 15, 2014
Mrval20: I'm an engineering student just like you, so I'm no expert in career advice.
However, I really think you should follow your heart and go for what you enjoy doing while it's still early. I mean, there must be at least one thing you enjoy doing, which you'd enjoy studying without struggling, and also make a living out of it later in life.
Man, your write up doesn't look like that of a student with a CGPA below 2 points! That simply means you're on the wrong track and would probably be a genius on a different track - JUST FIND IT, BRO!!

Thanks bro. I'll do that.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 10:56am On Sep 15, 2014
Dekins88: But you write impeccably, something is really wrong.
The passion to study that engineering is not there at all.
They're just forcing you into what you've little or no interest at.
I think that is what is affecting you.
I think so too.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 10:57am On Sep 15, 2014
hushmail: when u r midway on a bridge its best to complete d journey

even it might give u added advantage in a second degree

meanwhile university education is not a guarantee of success
What if the bridge is broken?
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
cry
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
Okay, so I had a crazy thought today.

I guess it's possible for me to run 2 degrees at the same time. Instead of quitting, I could begin a second degree while still running and aiming to complete the first.

What do you guys think?
Re: Academic Advice Needed by proffemi: 10:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
Kiinetic: Greetings to everyone!

I'm an engineering student in a university located in the southern part of the country. Studying engineering has never been my dream, or maybe it was for a while. I actually went into engineering because my parents deemed it fit to choose a career for me.

Studying the sciences wasn't really something I found easy. Infact, I wrote my waec four times before getting the right grades for my course. First, in my SS2 (GCE); Second, in my SS3; Third and fourth, GCE too.

I wrote my JAMB once though and passed the Post-UME and my name appeared on the admission list. I actually got in via connections that my dad had, because I didn't have my waec result then.

I remember what my parents said when I failed my waec the third time. In the words of my dad, "If someone had told me that my son would be a failure, I wouldn't have believed it." My mum simply kept comparing me with others around who passed their waec in a sitting. I was really hurt.

Well, I got in and bla bla bla, first year came and went and I had a CGPA of 2.14 and a couple of F's. Second year came and it was worse. I ended up having a CGPA of 1.72 and more F's. Third year came and it was a bit better, 1.93 but still some F's.

My parents do not know about this. When they ask, I keep formulating lies and telling them my CGPA rests at 3.21 and they get really angry. I wonder what would happen when they discover the truth. It wouldn't be nice at all.

I don't know if this problem is because I'm studying something which isn't meant for me, or maybe, I'm just an academic nuisance.

Thinking about my dream or career choice, I honestly do not know what I really want to be in life. Although, when I was a kid till lately, I'd always wanted to work in a bank, but reading about how stressful the job could be discouraged me. Also, I love computers but I don't think I can cope with that stuff called programming.

Right now, my plan is writing JAMB again and just starting afresh, but I don't know what exactly I really want to do. No one else knows about this, because I haven't told it to anyone. I can't tell my parents about this because I know they'll freak out, and probably hate me for wasting their money.

I'm on the verge of completing my degree, but I don't think I can go on. I'll eventually graduate with a third class degree and an extra year or two. I think it's actually better starting afresh than going on with something that won't be worth it.

Right now, I'm kinda concerned about my age. I'll be starting afresh when I should be in my final year, and that's quite humiliating but what choice do I have? That would also mean that I'll finally be a graduate at 25, if all goes well.

Please, what do you think I should do?

Hi. Send me an email. I advise students for a living, so I may have a few tips for you.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Nobody: 1:04am On Sep 23, 2014
Kiinetic: Okay, so I had a crazy thought today.

I guess it's possible for me to run 2 degrees at the same time. Instead of quitting, I could begin a second degree while still running and aiming to complete the first.

What do you guys think?
Would you be able to handle the extra workload? What other major are you thinking of?

How much longer do you have until you finish your current degree? If you're almost there, finish it.
If you're having a hard time with your current major, don't add another one just yet. Complete this one first.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 1:11am On Sep 24, 2014
Yields:
Would you be able to handle the extra workload? What other major are you thinking of?

How much longer do you have until you finish your current degree? If you're almost there, finish it.
If you're having a hard time with your current major, don't add another one just yet. Complete this one first.
I've got about 2 years left.

I'm thinking of going for either economics, accounting or banking.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 1:12am On Sep 24, 2014
proffemi:

Hi. Send me an email. I advise students for a living, so I may have a few tips for you.
Okay sir.
Re: Academic Advice Needed by Kiinetic(m): 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2015
Update:

I recently registered for Jamb 2015, and applied for Accounting. This is my last chance at making a change, and I hope I don't ruin it. I feel bad depending on my parents for an extra 4 years, while my mates would probably be done with NYSC and get jobs, living independently. It's quite depressing thinking about it. I feel like an outright failure. cry

(1) (Reply)

Click Here For Ur W.a.e.c G.c.e I.r.s And C.r.s Answer Now. / Aspen HYSYS / Best Tips To Pass Post Utme/how You Can Prepare For Post UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.