Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Who Is A Man Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A Man Of God? (1644 Views)

A Man Of God Called Rain Down During A Crusade. / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Is The Most Humblest Man Of God In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 10:02am On Sep 15, 2014
https://m./114614961953827?view=permalink&id=707533862661931&_rdr

The link above leads to a Facebook group page called the Open Congregation. There Christians, like in nl religion section, discuss biblical doctrines, though in a less acrimonious manner.

The musician Kenny K'ore, a regular discussant on that page, raised a question, saying simply:

Who is a Man of God?

The discuss has raged on now for over three days and the points raised are really interesting

So I share it here. Friends who do we thinks is a man of God today? Are there some select few called men of God or are all Christians men of God?

While I will love to hear from everyone on this forum, I will most especially like to know the views of the following on the subject: PastorKun, Gombs, mbaemeka, SirJohn, Candour, BabaGnoni, Joagbaje, Peter007, Image123, Bidam, Goshen360, frosbel, ichuka, Tgirl4real, and others. Hope you see this on mention.

I expect a mature discussion, with the hope that we shelve past grievances if there are any.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Tallesty1(m): 10:47am On Sep 15, 2014
I think a man of God is one who believes that God is. No man will ever be a man of God who is not saved. Hebrews 11:6 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is. He is one who hates sin and evil, as Jesus did (John 2:15; Hebrews 1:9). He acts justly, loves mercy, and walk humbly with God. He musn't head or own a church. Being a man of God means walking with God, He is someone that cannot be bought with money, opportunity, or advancement. 1st Timothy 6:10-12 states... "For the love of money is theroot of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. A man of God is a godly man.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by PastorKun(m): 11:03am On Sep 15, 2014
@OP
To answer your question, Chris Oyakhilome is a man of God. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by PastorKun(m): 11:14am On Sep 15, 2014
Ok on a more serious note, I believe the below passage adequately addresses the issue of segregation/hierarchy amongst believers.

Matthew 23 :8-12  But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

In other wards we are all equal before God. We are all children of God and men of God and charlatans like Oyaks that try to exalt themselves by creating a special class for himself and labelling himself as more important in the sight of God shall surely be abased.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by 2cato: 12:11pm On Sep 15, 2014
A man of God is anybody who does the will of God by preaching and practising sincere repentance hollines love draw people closer to God and what God want to make people know.
I never mention performing of miracles and pulling of crowds that will fill 5000 stadia for any body who is a master of deggre 4 and above in cabbala can do that. So performing miracles doing signs and wonders and pulling crowd are not a good critaria in determining "A MAN OF GOD" for any thief or chalartan can do that with demonic powers(cabbala)
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 12:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
PastorKun: Ok on a more serious note, I believe the below passage adequately addresses the issue of segregation/hierarchy amongst believers.

In other wards we are all equal before God. We are all children of God and men of God and charlatans like Oyaks that try to exalt themselves by creating a special class for himself and labelling himself as more important in the sight of God shall surely be abased.

I think the question of hierarchy is what the question in the OP is trying to address. Some are of the view that men of God still exist today to justify hierarchies in church; others think otherwise.

Well, let me hear more of what people think of this.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Image123(m): 4:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
WinsomeX: https://m./114614961953827?view=permalink&id=707533862661931&_rdr

The link above leads to a Facebook group page called the Open Congregation. There Christians, like in nl religion section, discuss biblical doctrines, though in a less acrimonious manner.

The musician Kenny K'ore, a regular discussant on that page, raised a question, saying simply:

Who is a Man of God?

The discuss has raged on now for over three days and the points raised are really interesting

So I share it here. Friends who do we thinks is a man of God today? Are there some select few called men of God or are all Christians men of God?

While I will love to hear from everyone on this forum, I will most especially like to know the views of the following on the subject: PastorKun, Gombs, mbaemeka, SirJohn, Candour, BabaGnoni, Joagbaje, Peter007, Image123, Bidam, Goshen360, frosbel, ichuka, Tgirl4real, and others. Hope you see this on mention.

I expect a mature discussion, with the hope that we shelve past grievances if there are any.

Mr suspect drumb.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by ichuka(m): 5:34pm On Sep 15, 2014
1prt2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal
priesthood, a holy nation, God's
special possession, that you may
declare the praises of him who called
you out of darkness into his
wonderful light.
We are all His children.no special/secret cow.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Gombs(m): 6:44pm On Sep 15, 2014
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by odion81(f): 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
Relationship expert, Praise Fowowe, who
is a self confessed sex addict turned
relationship and sex counselor, in this
incisive piece gave reasons why the
marriages of some top pastors are
packing up. Find his thought provoking
piece below
1. A man of God is not God, he is a man:
Unfortunately, we treat our men of God
as if they are spirits who don't live in
human body. What do we expect when we
saddle them with our numerous issues.
Unfortunately, many are not wise to say
no to church members whose lives will
continue if they drop dead. Church
members have academic, financial, and
even marital problems, they go to the
pastor as if the man is built to solve every
problem and in our quest to prove that we
are superstars, we also fail to embrace
the use of professionals who are trained
in these things because of our hidden fear
of respect. What stops a man of God who
knows his marriage is in danger to take a
back seat and allow a church member
whose marriage is a model take a
message on a Sunday that marriage is
meant to be discussed? You are not built
to solve every problem.
2. Anointing does not give immunity to
divorce: The same way anointing doesn't
give immunity to sexual sins, it doesn't
also give immunity to divorce. It takes
more than anointing to make a marriage
work. I have seen the people we refer to
as unbelievers build a fantastic marriage
why I have also seen loads of tongue-
talking believers make a shipwreck of
theirs. The most important ingredient to
build a winning marriage isn't prayers, it
is knowledge and if you don't have it, you
can't pray it in. I tell people that your
anointing wouldn't stop you from
sleeping with church members if you have
a sex problem. If you position yourself
around babes consistently in the name of
"My daughter in the lord" and you don't
draw a critical line, it is only a matter of
time. My story is everywhere on how I
was a sex addict in church after being
born again yet leading praise worship and
leading people to Christ until I became
real to myself and went to get help. Every
counselor needs a counselor and every
pastor needs a pastor who may not
necessarily be title carrying person
because the problem with us is that in
this part of the world, we believe that a
laity isn't anointed as long as he doesn't
pastor a large church. If you are beating
your wife, don't pretend you don't have a
problem, you need to get help from a
psychologist or psychiatrist.
3. There is no relationship without
communication and relaxation: So many
men of God don't communicate with their
spouses. You can't expect an abandoned
flower to blossom without your attention. I
think many of us saddle our wives with
church work that they are not prepared
for. I do not believe that because a man is
a pastor necessarily means that his wife
must be a Pastor Mrs. God's callings and
gifting aren't by marriage. I don't
understand the calling that will make a
man of God remain in Nigeria while he
sends his wife to Germany to pastor the
branch of the church over there. Excuse
me, you are a human being who needs
emotional attention. Unfortunately, that is
the reality in many ministries. You are a
man of God on the pulpit but at home, you
are a lover and a father to your children.
So you might learn to drop the bible and
Christianity on the altar so that you can
communicate with your wife and your
children in human language. I was invited
to a meeting years back and I asked the
Pastor's there the last time they had a
dance with their spouses? I was shocked
when they said it was during their
wedding.
4. Isolation isn't spirituality: Jesus never
isolated himself. As a matter of fact, he
was found in everyday places like our
present day shopping malls and movie
houses. I see a lot of young pastors who
have aged faster than they should be
because of Isolation. Something tells us
that we need to isolate ourselves to
receive a word for a people who are being
"pastored" only during the service
because many of them are being
influenced more by their favorite musician
than their pastor. Don't allow church
members turn you into who you are not
because you don't want to hang out with
your babe. They would spread your story
when your marriage breaks down. When
was the last time you met your pastor in
a bus, mall, a restaurant or a cinema? As
a matter of fact, when was the last time
he was stuck in traffic and you saw him?
If your answer is no, then most likely your
pastor is a spirit. If a man wants to live in
isolation, he should please not get
married so that we can save the body of
Christ all this embarrassment.
5. Wisdom is in the city square: If a man
of God is inadequate on a particular
subject, It is not shameful to get help. It is
humility to look for help from people that
have studied that particular subject.
Something to learn from someone we
have categorized as sinner. So when I
hear someone make statements like there
is nothing an unbeliever can teach me, I
often ask who taught you how to speak
English and understand Mathematics. Age
and longevity in ministry is not the same
as wisdom.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2014
WHO IS A MAN OF GOD?

My humble answer to this straight forward question is that every Christian is a man of God.

Scriptures shows that there are different terms that are used to describes God's people. When we hear that a person is a child of God, our minds are drawn to the redeeming works of the Holy Spirit on a man that makes him born again. Because he is born of God and God is his father, the appropriate term to use for him was a child of God. Because the NT emphasized the redemptive works of God, it was common to see the term "child of God"; a term rarely used in the OT.

However, we have two places in the NT where the term "man of God" is used: 1 Timothy 6:11 and 2 Timothy 3:18. Paul is here speaking to Timothy.

Timothy: 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works

The context reveals that the apostle is concerned, not with redemptive works of the Spirit, but maturity. The appropriate term to therefore use in this context is "man of God". The instruction laid out by the apostles are clearly instructions for all Christians, so if we must admit these scriptures as NT ground for calling a man, man of God, we must accept to use it in a general context to refer to all of God's people and not a select few.

I have emphasized the term NT because there is a clear distinction btw the new and the old. One of them is the relation btw clergy and laity. In the old, it was necessary to emphasize the clergy laity distinction and thus the use of the term men of God. But in the new, this distinction is non existent and so rarely find anywhere it is used. Jesus crowned it all when he told us in Matthew 23:8 that we are all brethren and that he that must be first must be servant to all. This is the Spirit with which the apostles led the early church. The fact that there are no distinction btw clergy and laity did not remove the need for elders or leaders. The NT reveals a new sort of leadership style: servant leadership. Therefore you did not hear any of the apostles refer to themselves as MOG nor did the people call them this.

The new fad for MOG these days is still the confusion many have refused to sort out btw the old and the new. As long as the spirit of the old is used to operate the new, we would continue to have the MOG name tag.

The Reformatoom gave us the glorious doctrine of the Priesthood of all Believers, Matthew 23:8; 1 Peter 2:9; Rev 1:6; 1 Cot 12:12ff. That doctrine was only one of three important concept that came with the Reformation, the others being Justification by Faith; Authority of scriptures in all matters of life and ministry. All three concepts are still adhered to by true protestant churches. Anywhere any is undermined we have spiritual retrogression.

Today all of God's people are men of God; the NT does not teach a clergy laity distinction.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Candour(m): 7:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
Candour is a man of God.

The rest are ordinary Christians. Don't ask me for scriptural validation pls. Remember 'touch not my anointed.......'

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by ichuka(m): 7:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
Candour: Candour is a man of God.
The rest are ordinary Christians. Don't ask me for scriptural validation pls. Remember 'touch not my anointed.......'
Lol,guy how u dey,longest.....
Abi u don join them?
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Candour(m): 8:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
ichuka:
Lol,guy how u dey,longest.....
Abi u don join them?

B4 nko? Why should I allow some 'small boys' challenge my authority and the way I run things when I can create a demarcation by claiming mog and reciting "touch not my anointed etc'?

Pls don't force me to open my mouth and release curses on recalcitrant church members o angry angry wink

May God have mercy on his children. Gob bless you plenty jare my brother.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by ichuka(m): 8:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
Candour:
B4 nko? Why should I allow some 'small boys' challenge my authority and the way I run things when I can create a demarcation by claiming mog and reciting "touch not my anointed etc'?
Pls don't force me to open my mouth and release curses on recalcitrant church members o angry angry wink
May God have mercy on his children. Gob bless you plenty jare my brother.
Lol.
U no well oooooo.
Its well in Jesus name jare.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Candour(m): 9:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
ichuka:
Lol.
U no well oooooo.
Its well in Jesus name jare.

I well jare. Na too much anointing dey push me

Its indeed well in Jesus mighty name. Amen
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Image123(m): 1:28pm On Sep 16, 2014
Image123:

Mr suspect drumb.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The phrase "man of God" appears a staggering 75 times in the old testament as compared to it appearing just 2 times in the new testament Bible. Obviously, two things come out. There are men of God in both the Old and the New. Also, everybody is not a man of God. A look at the Bible shows that every child of God is not matured. It takes maturity to be a man. There is a slight difference between CHILDREN and SONS. Even John did not class everybody together.
1Jo 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
1Jo 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
1Jo 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

Moses and Elijah were specifically referred to as men of God in the Bible. Some other men not so popular were also referred to as men of God. At the end, the important thing is to serve God in fear and faith. God knows His own, you better know where you belong.
2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 2:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
Image123:

The phrase "man of God" appears a staggering 75 times in the old testament as compared to it appearing just 2 times in the new testament Bible. Obviously, two things come out. There are men of God in both the Old and the New. Also, everybody is not a man of God. A look at the Bible shows that every child of God is not matured. It takes maturity to be a man. There is a slight difference between CHILDREN and SONS. Even John did not class everybody together.
1Jo 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
1Jo 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
1Jo 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

Moses and Elijah were specifically referred to as men of God in the Bible. Some other men not so popular were also referred to as men of God. At the end, the important thing is to serve God in fear and faith. God knows His own, you better know where you belong.
2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

What did Jesus mean by this statement?

Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Image123(m): 2:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
WinsomeX:

Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
https://www.nairaland.com/1457950/matthew-23-message-lets-discuss#18434320
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 3:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
WinsomeX:

Image123:
Rabbi simply means Master. notice how Jesus used the word interchangeably. Or better still,
Joh 1:38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?
Master is a boss, chief, teacher, ruler. In other words, But be not ye called boss: for one is your Oga, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. A direct and bigoted rendering of that verse sends EVERY MAN into error. One needs to see how the disciples and Jesus Himself understood this and lived this. Every boy has a prefix "master" to his name. Every Oga, CEO, boss is a master.
What Jesus is saying is Don't seek to be called Master. Don't covet it, don't love it or hope for it. It could be Chief, or Dr, or Prof. Carnal people love titles. It could even be Bishop. Some people will get offended if they are not addressed with a title. We should respect people and address them by their titles Mr, or Pastor, or Dr or Chief, or Senator, or Gov, PhD etc but the owner of the title(if a christian) should be humble and not carried away by title. i heard of lecturers who can fail their students who mistakenly addressed them as Dr instead of Prof. This should not be of a christian. Christians were called master in the Bible BTW. It shows that what Jesus was talking of is not just the calling but the heart and love for it.
Col 4:1 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.
1Pe 2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Jesus often spoke in a way that requires meditation and dependence on God for understanding. The intelligent fellows of the day often misunderstood Him, and so remained.
Mar 4:34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

This has still got to do with the coveting of titles. A literal rendering again puts everyone guilty, because we all have fathers. He says to call NO MAN. NO MAN means no man, doesn't it? If he had said, call no man, except your biological father of course, we would say, okay he means don't call friends and relatives father. But Jesus is not in a social studies seminar or training. He is talking deep things, not superficial things. His example and that of His disciples show us that He was not just giving a ban on calling people a particular name. He called people fathers. his disciples also called men fathers. We do not know more than them, or understand Jesus more than them. Further down this chapter, Jesus goes on to call men father. This shows a contradiction of a narrow literal rendering of verse 9.
Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
Your fathers here is actually referring to the Israelite ancestors, not just their biological father. Below are some other instances where men were called fathers by Jesus and His disciples.
Luk 11:11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
Joh 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
1Ti 5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
1Th 2:11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
Rom 4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
Eph 6:2 Honor thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Obviously, all these fathers above are different from the for one is your Father, which is in heaven. We should not worship human beings but respect them. And we should be ready to obey God rather than them.

Won't flog it too much, its same as verse 8. Anyone that did not get it in verse 8 will probably not get what i might add here too. All these verses apply to every one on earth. The pharisees for instance cannot say it is the disciples and multitudes being addressed, therefore it does not apply to them. Everybody has what to pick from what the Master of the Universe is saying. This should be basic kindergaten. Its like if a kid is being punished in a class, of course the other kids should know that the teacher is talking to all of them, and that they are not to do the things that the kid being punished is rebuked for. Its an unwise kid that will say "I'm the teacher's fav. What he is telling that stubborn boy does not apply to me." A wise kid will note that if he does the same thing, he will also be punished. You don't have to be punished to learn. You can see how a criminal is treated, and learn never to steal or fight. You don't say, the punishment is for criminals, i'm a good citizen and do not need to pay attention.
www.nairaland.com/1457950/matthew-23-message-lets-discuss#18434320
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 3:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
^^^

I can understand your referral to your Matthew 23 exegesis but should we not be increasing in knowledge rather depending on former writing that do not address present questions adequately?

The thread reads: who is a man of God? The OP asks: is everyone a man of God or a select few?

You admit in your first posts that everyone is not a man of God but you find it difficult to agree to the implication of that statement which is that if all Christians are not men of God, then only a select few are.

To shed some light on your prevarications, I ask what you understand by Christ statement in Matthew 23:8, you refer me to a stale discuss that is not relevant here.

It is either one of the two: is either we are all men of God, agreed, with varying degrees of maturity; or only a select few are: a position that stands in contrast to Jesus' statement in Matthew 23.

What exactly is your position?

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Image123(m): 4:10pm On Sep 16, 2014
^
i read that you wanted to know what Jesus meant by the statement. Absolutely no point reinventing the wheel if you know what i mean.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 4:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
Image123: ^
i read that you wanted to know what Jesus meant by the statement. Absolutely no point reinventing the wheel if you know what i mean.

And I explained to you what led to the question.

So, which one is it: all or a selects few are MOG?

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Debeloved87(m): 5:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
A Man of God is someone sent by God, equipped with the power of God to deliver men from bondages and bring people back to God. He is someone, that has been given an assignment to fulfill for God, he is different from an ordinary believer, he has a distinct grace on him, a special divine calling attached to his/her destiny such persons like Elijah, samuel,moses, Enoch, the 12 Apostles etc. He must not fail his assignment, if God has him to go, he go, sit here he sits, stand there he stands, roll on the floor, he must obey.......so therefore they don't just carry Gods presence in or around them, the throng of His presence follow them wherever they go....
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 5:20pm On Sep 16, 2014
Debeloved87: A Man of God is someone sent by God, equipped with the power of God to deliver men from bondages and bring people back to God. He is someone, that has been given an assignment to fulfill for God, he is different from an ordinary believer, he has a distinct grace on him, a special divine calling attached to his/her destiny such persons like Elijah, samuel,moses, Enoch, the 12 Apostles etc. He must not fail his assignment, if God has him to go, he go, sit here he sits, stand there he stands, roll on the floor, he must obey.......so therefore they don't just carry Gods presence in or around them, the throng of His presence follow them wherever they go....

OK. Thanks for your clear position on this.

So...

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by christemmbassey(m): 8:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
A man of God, especially in Nigeria, is a lazy man who refuses to work but devotes his time to search for verses in the bibleto decieve believers and church goers, he robs them (legally?) tro collection tithes, seeds, 1st fruits, special sacrifices (bc d one time sacrifice of Jesus is not enough for them Heb 10:14) i love my pastor/shower etc, etc. In short, man of God in Nigeria is a legal thief, robber, scamer, fraudstar, 419er, task master, slave rider,a divorcee, magician, witch doctor, sorcerer, palm reader, assistant/deputy/vice god and fortune tellers who can tell you ur phone nos but can not guese a recharge card pin or just 3 pool betting nos, they can fortel everything but not plane crash, when boko haram will bomb next or the kidnap of helples Chibok girls or where they are kept now etc. If not God's grace, i 4 port to islam/ogboni or witchcraft bc of d activities of these enemies of the gospel of Christ.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Image123(m): 11:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
WinsomeX:

And I explained to you what led to the question.

So, which one is it: all or a selects few are MOG?

Quite typical of drumb to lack comprehending ability. Indeed, can a leopard change his spots?

WinsomeX: ^^^
I can understand your referral to your Matthew 23 exegesis but should we not be increasing in knowledge rather depending on former writing that do not address present questions adequately?
If you want to know what Jesus means by Matthew 23v8, read that link until it sinks. The link explains what Jesus means. Knowledge/wisdom is not necessarily connected to real time, else your writings would have been more relevant than a certain book finished about 2000yrs ago. Do you really think through?

The thread reads: who is a man of God? The OP asks: is everyone a man of God or a select few?
You admit in your first posts that everyone is not a man of God but you find it difficult to agree to the implication of that statement which is that if all Christians are not men of God, then only a select few are.
You are getting delirious. i very clearly stated "Obviously, two things come out. There are men of God in both the Old and the New. Also, everybody is not a man of God." If you have difficulty understanding that, ask someone that speaks english better.

To shed some light on your prevarications, I ask what you understand by Christ statement in Matthew 23:8, you refer me to a stale discuss that is not relevant here.
i referred you to the answer to your question. i was careful enough to refer you to the exact post that explained the verse. You glibly posted the whole post here and ironically state that it is irrelevant HERE. Do you think at all?

It is either one of the two: is either we are all men of God, agreed, with varying degrees of maturity; or only a select few are: a position that stands in contrast to Jesus' statement in Matthew 23.
What exactly is your position?
My position is very clear already. Here it is again, "everybody is not a man of God." You may send in your native language if you need translation.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by solotutu(m): 2:34am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 5:53am On Sep 17, 2014
The so-called five fold ministry precept is given to serve the body of Christ, not control it. There is no scripture for setting up a five-fold clergy hierarchy, and the gifts to the body of Christ were to equip others to serve and minister. -as opposed to the clergy as a professional caste with Titles and special privileges. - Rory Moore, New York. Quoted from Facebook.

The above statement is my exact position on who a man of God is, by extension.
Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by Debeloved87(m): 7:10am On Sep 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

OK. Thanks for your clear position on this.

So...

alright. in that scriptural verse Jesus is trying to lay down the great importance of humility in the Christendom I.e no matter the position you might have attained your humility must be glaring to the whole brethren. look at this scripture Luke 18: 18-19 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God." Jesus refute the statement in humility not because he is not good. compare to this " I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." john 10:11.....it is easier to be full of pride and look down on other brethren when you have a great disposition with God, the reason why Christ is trying to calm our ego with that scripture. moses became the most humble man at that time during his time yet none get closer to God than him, but most of our present men of God in this time are something else, they turned themselves into the "God of men" may God help us amen.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by WinsomeX: 7:32am On Sep 17, 2014
Debeloved87: alright. in that scriptural verse Jesus is trying to lay down the great importance of humility in the Christendom I.e no matter the position you might have attained your humility must be glaring to the whole brethren. look at this scripture Luke 18: 18-19 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God." Jesus refute the statement in humility not because he is not good. compare to this " I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." john 10:11.....it is easier to be full of pride and look down on other brethren when you have a great disposition with God, the reason why Christ is trying to calm our ego with that scripture. moses became the most humble man at that time during his time yet none get closer to God than him, but most of our present men of God in this time are something else, they turned themselves into the "God of men" may God help us amen.

If the Christian Spirit is one of humility shown forth in we regarding ourselves as brethren; whether we are leaders or not, where does the concept of a "man of God" fit into in Christianity?

Is that not the reason no one is called a MOG in the NT?

Thank you for your answer, it has simply proven my thesis further.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Man Of God? by shdemidemi(m): 2:02pm On Sep 17, 2014
I believe we become sons and daughters of God as soon as we become one with Christ by accepting the price of sin paid. However, going by the first century church they never had the priest/one man pastor system as it was in judaism. The reformers retained this style of leadership- unfortunately.

A bible based church should appoint and ordain elders i.e members of the congregation matured in the word and most times in age- There are criterion, standard and principles that needs consideration before appointing anyone to the office of an elder or a bishop or a general overseer. A man of God can't be a novice, new convert.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Right For Our Sleep To Be Dosturbed Because Of Religious Crusade? / The Voice Of The People Is Not The Voice Of God / Pastor Makes Congregants Succk His Peni's In Church,says His Semen Is Holy Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.