Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,837 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned (3370 Views)

How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 3 / How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 10:44am On Sep 15, 2014
To every unemployed graduate and to those who need a better job..

Going to school is good but the problem today is what happens after graduates leave the four walls of our higher intuitions.

I could remember when I was in school, all we dream about is a good paying job right after our NYSC program and you can all guess those types of jobs I’m talking about. These are jobs many people all dream of – banks, oil companies and the big spending and earning telecommunication firms. These are just where every graduate always pray to get a job with.

But fast forward till today and you should know that the dream of yesterday has only be a dream which has never been fulfilled or realized.
Today, I want to share something important with everyone here who has been looking for job or anyone who need a better job.

It pisses me off today whenever I see my mates or anyone complaining of not getting a job. I really understand what it feels like to be in the frustrating period of spending months and even years at home doing nothing after applying for jobs all around but with little or no result to show for it. What really pisses me off is the fact that many job seekers are just ignorant of the fact that they are the ones who has been in the way of getting a job all these while.

What do I mean by this?

I’m not a serious religious guy but I’m a guy who knows some Bible verses off hand even if it means not remembering the exact verses and chapter but I can remember a passage in the bible that goes like this...

“My people are perishing because they lack knowledge...”

Now, let’s remove the word “perishing” and “knowledge” and let reframe this passage like this:

“My job seekers are still without a job because they lack the right information on how to get a job even in these days of limited job and fiercely competitive job market.”

That is just the bitter truth – many graduates today are still without a job because they lack the necessary knowledge and information they need to win the job hunting battle in today’s unfriendly job seeking reality.

In this thread, I’m going to share a lot about smarter ways to go about getting a job as fast and easy as many would never have known of and I will also be sharing smart tips and strategies that has helped me land the job of my dream in just two weeks and also everything I’ve been doing in the past that has resulted in making employers running after me and calling me phone all days just to get me to work for them and when I say this – I’m not kidding but you will get to know why that happened soon as you follow this thread.

A Brief Background about Me And The Story Of My Dream Job In Just Two Weeks

I graduated with a Bsc in Computer Science in Oct 2008 but before graduation, I’ve been the guy who knows that I’m not made for being an employee and that reality and fact has always been my guarding light in school. I spend not much time to get a first class degree just as many of my mates and there are even semesters that I keep skipping lectures just to watch my forex trades back in the days when the forex craze is all everywhere but I must say that I made lot of money then that many of my class mates will always tell me that I like money a lot but will you blame me since I know that even if I have a first class, I’m still going to need a job to make money but what if I can make those money now even without needing a job?

To cut the story short, I graduated and went for my NYSC program in June 2009 which helped me served in a big federal agency in which a friend of my Dad is one of their Directors but I hate working there for that one year and I personally thwart any opportunity I had to be retained as a full staff which would have me being out of the country by today for my master degree but I declined that because I hate every single days working there and after completing my NYSC year, I opt to start my own small business firm with all the money I saved during my NYSC days and I saved a lot because I was well paid then as a corper and also, I have the privilege to serve not far from home where I was sheltered and feed for free.

But after some months of trying to get my business off the ground without much traction because of lack of funds to work with, I decided to get a job at least to make some money to get my business off the ground.

But I hate to follow the usual way of getting a job which has been applying for jobs online via all the job search sites and waiting for the miracle that will happen after that. I decided never to follow this same path that has rendered my best friend then a frustrated guy after spending a lot submitting his resume and applying for thousands of job and travelling all the way to Abuja, PH and far way Kano for job interviews which yielded nothing more than the usual “we will get back to you later”.

Instead opted to find a better way to get the job I want and my job searching story begun......

This will be the first part of this 6 part series of post and I still have lots to say and share with everyone so keep tab with me here.

If you are wondering how you can play your job search game smartly and win fast unlike before when it’s been quite difficult and sometimes frustrating to get employers to say that much needed YES to you, then you need to read my free book – 7 Days To The Job You Want at http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/free-book

Also, If you have any job search or career related question you will like to ask me, then feel free to shoot me your question at http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/questions and also you will find each episode of my weekly job search online show at http://www.youracareerandyou.com/category/podcast useful as well as my Question And Answer section at http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/category/job-search-questions-and-answers where I answer questions I keep getting about how to get a job

Catch you here again for part two of this career and life changing post...
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Brunel(m): 11:00am On Sep 15, 2014
My brother anything you have to say it's best you post it here because the big family of Nairaland isn't gonna drive traffic cheaply to your blog. Cheers.

17 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by iykemoney90(m): 11:18am On Sep 15, 2014
same old sh*t, just a different form

12 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 11:26am On Sep 15, 2014
Brunel: My brother anything you have to say it's best you post it here because the big family of Nairaland isn't gonna drive traffic cheaply to your blog. Cheers.

Thanks Brunel.

The whole post is up to around 9,000 words and will be too long for a single NL thread and that's why i split it to 6 parts.

And also,the links i referenced to in the posts are also very and it will be insane to post the content of every referenced link with this thread. Stuffs in the 6 part thread where this is the first part is alone to learn what i intend to pass on and i don't need any cheap traffic like you said - all i intend to do is to share my stories with many Nigerian unemployed graduate who are still in the age of submitting CV all around and waiting for that lucky day to get the job they want.

I am not selling anything here for anyone as well.

It's just some great lesson i feel i should share.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 11:38am On Sep 15, 2014
iykemoney90: same old sh*t, just a different form

Thanks for this anyway.

I think you need to stop the believe that everything you see is just another s**t like you mentioned. I am not posting this to sell anything. But why not see what i have got to say first before concluding.

I am sharing my story here and all i want to do is to share the story to show Nigerians who are without a job that getting a job is not what many use to think of like blasting CV all around and applying for jobs like every dick and harry will do.

I know what i am talking about brother because this is what i have experimented with and got results not once or twice before i damn the corporate world to be my own boss.

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Nielbaba(m): 11:59am On Sep 15, 2014
[size=8pt][/size]
Brunel: My brother anything you have to say it's best you post it here because the big family of Nairaland isn't gonna drive traffic cheaply to your blog. Cheers.
lol badt nigga grin True talk

3 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Brunel(m): 1:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
mayorlan:

Thanks Brunel.

The whole post is up to around 9,000 words and will be too long for a single NL thread and that's why i split it to 6 parts.

And also,the links i referenced to in the posts are also very and it will be insane to post the content of every referenced link with this thread. Stuffs in the 6 part thread where this is the first part is alone to learn what i intend to pass on and i don't need any cheap traffic like you said - all i intend to do is to share my stories with many Nigerian unemployed graduate who are still in the age of submitting CV all around and waiting for that lucky day to get the job they want.

I am not selling anything here for anyone as well.

It's just some great lesson i feel i should share.

If you use bullet points and a summary underneath,everyone will be the happier for it

4 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 1:17pm On Sep 15, 2014
Brunel:

If you use bullet points and a summary underneath,everyone will be the happier for it

Thanks for that suggestion. Will try that in the second part of the thread
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Evergreen4(m): 4:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
Mayor, please post the salient points, don't let story to be too long.

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by rman: 4:32pm On Sep 15, 2014
From the few information provided by you, you are one of the privileged few with connections. Your story will be better appreciated if it coming from a completely unconnected graduate.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
i wanted to leave the thread without commenting but on a second thought i decided against it.
Op i must say that i dont like ur style of writing.
Ur write up is mainly quantity rather than quality.
U spend so much time saying things of little relevance while contributing very little to the big picture.

Last bullet-: if u are an author i wont buy ur book

7 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by idu1(m): 8:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
Infact he doesn't have anything to post. He is a hopless human being.
Many people has shared stories here none of them refer to us to links.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 8:20pm On Sep 15, 2014
rman: From the few information provided by you, you are one of the privileged few with connections. Your story will be better appreciated if it coming from a completely unconnected graduate.

Thanks for that.

But I think you get it all wrong. I am never a guy who have any connection whatsoever. I knew nobody although I served in a Fed Govt agency which was a result of knowing someone there just by talking the courage to approach them and see if I can serve there.

I am writing from the point of view of someone who have no connection or have a long leg and someone who took his destiny in his hand to do the hard job of thinking outside the box and do what many job seekers won't do which is simply finding what exactly those firms need and the pain they are having as well as giving them enough reasons why they will lose if they don't hire me.

This is just a part in the 6-part series I will be posting each day and by tomorrow when I post the second part,you will understand what I am talking about.

This is a no connection or long leg story and if it is that,I won't be here to share it anyway.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 8:23pm On Sep 15, 2014
Evergreen4: Mayor, please post the salient points, don't let story to be too long.
I understand the need for urgency with this kind of posts but I think it's better to split this into sizeable chunks of 6 parts rather than posting all the over 9,000 words thread all at once.

I will post the second part in the 6-series tomorrow and those point will start from that.

I think you should wait till the second part before you should nail me of not giving all the salient point in this first part

Thanks for your suggestion anyway,I really appreciate it
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
francleanflexy: i wanted to leave the thread without commenting but on a second thought i decided against it.
Op i must say that i dont like ur style of writing.
Ur write up is mainly quantity rather than quality.
U spend so much time saying things of little relevance while contributing very little to the big picture.

Last bullet-: if u are an author i wont buy ur book
Thanks for that too.

Maybe my writing sucks - well,maybe and if so,that's cool by me. One,I am sharing something I know will benefit someone other there who is ready to see something beyond what he or she is used to with job search in the past.

Two,this is just the first part of the 6-part series and I will be posting the second part tomorrow. the whole post is about 9,000 word and I will never want to jam that in one single post. So see the second part tomorrow where I started all the lessons I want to share before you can say I am sharing nothing here.

Three,I don't need your money and I am not selling you anything. So please know that I am not pitching anything to anyone. All I am doing is sharing some great stuffs that I know someone out there who is ready to use it to change their job search stories.

Four,I am not writing this for everyone - I understand that even Jesus Christ and Prophet Mohammad (PBHM) were all castigated as God's messengers and why will a mere mortal like me expect something better.

I just feel I need to make this known to everyone who are like what the heck is this guy saying here?

Thanks and cheers!

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 8:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
idu1: Infact he doesn't have anything to post. He is a hopless human being.
Many people has shared stories here none of them refer to us to links.
With all due respect,click away if you think this is not good for you and don't call names.

I am only writing this for someone out there who will see beyond a hopeless guy writing another BS story on NL and it all with an open mind.

3 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Skii(m): 8:55pm On Sep 15, 2014
when do you intend to post part 2?
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
Skii: when do you intend to post part 2?
Sure.

The second part will be posted tomorrow and the rest will also be posted a day after the other.

Thanks
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by jnrbayano(m): 9:21pm On Sep 15, 2014
You sound reasonable and honest.

Fingers-crossed

...Following...
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 9:28pm On Sep 15, 2014
jnrbayano: You sound reasonable and honest.

Fingers-crossed

...Following...

Thanks so much. You won't know what such comment means in the midst of some unwarranted hard knocks here already all because they feel this is yet another BS line on NL. Anyway,i understand why this is so - at least,i remember say na Naija we dey where fakes are even louder than the small and unheard real stuffs.

You won't be disappointed with the second part and the rest as from tomorrow.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Immortalz(m): 9:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
@Op: I don't want to blame my pals for their doubtedness, jst like u mentioned 9ja rules. It really doesn't mean i don't have my doubt too but then its all about learning. Whicheva way it pans out to be, i'll be sure to have gained smfing.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
jnrbayano: You sound reasonable and honest.

Fingers-crossed

...Following...
actually he does.
He seems to be answering every question/criticism here with a high level of maturity

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 9:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
Immortalz: @Op: I don't want to blame my pals for their doubtedness, jst like u mentioned 9ja rules. It really doesn't mean i don't have my doubt too but then its all about learning. Whicheva way it pans out to be, i'll be sure to have gained smfing.

Great minds here and i am super stoked about that.

I think i have a problem. I am used to blogging and writing for international audience and seems i am learning how to deal with my country men here as opposed to the open mindedness i am used to when i am dealing and writing for people who are not Nigerians like me.

I love the way you mentioned that learning is key which gladdens my heart that someone out there at least see it the way it ought to be.

Cheers Brother!
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 9:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
francleanflexy:
actually he does.
He seems to be answering every question/criticism here with a high level of maturity

Smiles and thanks!
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by opeano(m): 10:27pm On Sep 15, 2014
francleanflexy:
actually he does.
Exact observation i made, @op. U sound too cool and matured to be believed dat U aint tryin to sell sth. But then, No qualms in following
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 10:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
opeano: .
Exact observation i made, @op. U sound too cool and matured to be believed dat U aint tryin to sell sth. But then, No qualms in following

Thanks.

I have an audience and a following online and this is an habit i have learned anyway as i am naturally an aggressive guys - ladies i am in love with knows this better..lol

To build an audience online and to teach anything,it requires having patience as we all look at things in different ways. Some might see another NL bulls**t thread and others will see something that need a listening attention so it's no problem having such initial knocks.

Do you drink? i think i need to buy you a beer.

PS: I don't drink - it's just a popular cliche to say thank you! lolzz
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by bosun11(m): 11:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
observing and waiting for part 2......Ensure its staright to the point and made of quality and not quantity ...thanks for sharing in advance
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by nwaobitex: 11:09pm On Sep 15, 2014
NSBA
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 11:20pm On Sep 15, 2014
bosun11: observing and waiting for part 2......Ensure its staright to the point and made of quality and not quantity ...thanks for sharing in advance

Sure.

Quality? Yes

and

Quantity? Yes,because 1) 7 Whole lessons that i can't avoid to just touch and give a brief one with and 2) My writing style is the epic content one where 1500 words is just the start of what i called an Epic S**t!

Kindly Google the term "epic S**t" (without the **) and you will know what i am talking about.

Anyway,you are assured of getting the best. I have the whole post on my podcast blog but i don't want to share any link here again for the fear of chasing some people away...lolz
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Nobody: 12:26am On Sep 16, 2014
Well would love to learn something.
I only think you are responding too much to people.
I don't care whether you split it into 4, 500 parts. All I care about is to be informed.

Great businesses succeed because they know what others do not know so let's see what you know that we don't know that will earn us that great job.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 16, 2014
Can't ya'll read the signs? He wants to sell an ebook so hez looking for a way to promote the link to his ebook. That's if dere is anything meaningful in the ebook. U claimed u got a job within 2wiks yet u want to sell ebook on how u got the job, are they not paying u well where u got the job? So y u looking 4 some small change? Dis guy is a ripoff.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned by mayorlan(m): 1:24am On Sep 16, 2014
prettyboi1989: Can't ya'll read the signs? He wants to sell an ebook so hez looking for a way to promote the link to his ebook. That's if dere is anything meaningful in the ebook. U claimed u got a job within 2wiks yet u want to sell ebook on how u got the job, are they not paying u well where u got the job? So y u looking 4 some small change? Dis guy is a ripoff.
Please keep your money inside your wallet or pocket or whatsoever because I don't need your money for anything,I'm ok with what I have and never need any small change you are used to paying some funny gurus with nothing to say than "buy my book" that you think I am.

I am not a guru,just sharing my story for anyone who care to listen.

I sacked my boss when I got bored of the job I opted for out of the two I got so I am my own boss 2 years down the road and I have what I do to make a living that's profitable and OK for me than the change you think I want to get from you.

A ripoff to me is someone who have exhibited a scammy prowess and thank Goodness you can't find any link where I mentioned a book for sale.

I am here for open minded people Nigerians to share from what I have leaned and what I see as something job seekers are doing wrong.

Anyway,these at least are no secret,any open minded being who have read Think and Grow Rich will know this secret.

Save yourself the time to leave such unwarranted comment,buy the book and open your mind to what Mr Hill has to say about a woman who got a dream job for his son.

The money I don't want that you think I want to collect from this thread will have a better use buying the book and at least,you can trust a legend like him than a random guy that I am.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Requirements To Open JAIZ Bank Account. / Future Career Prospect(s) In International Relations/diplomacy / Fake Interview?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.