Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr (3589 Views)

Arms, Money, Phones Found In Boko Haram's Hideout (graphic Photos) / South African Media Confirms Legitimacy Of Nigeria's $9.3m Arms Deal / $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by nickxtra(m): 9:24pm On Sep 16, 2014
The Nigerian government has opened talks with South Africa after an aircraft conveying $9.3m cash from Abuja, allegedly for arms purchase, was seized by the South African authorities.
Two Nigerians and an Israeli aboard the airplane were detained and are facing investigations for transporting the huge amount into South Africa.
It emerged on Tuesday that the jet is owned by Ayo Oritsejafor, who heads the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN.
Mr. Oritsejafor denied knowledge of the arms deal saying the aircraft was managed by another company, Eagle Air Company, which in turn, leased the jet to a third party, Green Coast Produce Limited.
The two firms confirmed that claim in separate statements.
Details of the transaction remained vague beyond the revelations that the sum was meant for the purchase of arms for an unnamed Nigerian security agency.
In what appeared the first official confirmation of the deal, security personnel were quoted Tuesday as confirming the order and saying it was a normal practice to procure arms with cash.
Also, the Federal Government has released data and documents on the transaction, telling the South African government the transaction was “legitimate”, according to PRNigeria, an agency that regularly disseminates media statements for the military, police and other security agencies in Nigeria.
The report said talks between the two countries were at the governmental level and between the intelligence services of the two nations.
PRNigeria quoted a senior government official as saying that the South African Government only faulted “non-declaration” of the cash by the delegation from Nigeria.
“Nigeria and South Africa are getting closer to diplomatic resolution of the row over the $9.3m transaction. The two nations have opened up discussions,” PRNigeria quoted the official as saying.
“The Federal Government has submitted relevant data and documents on the transaction to South Africa and insisted that the transaction was legitimate.
“It also clarified that the funds were not laundered or smuggled for any covert manoeuvres. No launderer will be audacious to fly into a country in a chartered jet with such a huge cash.
“The technical details on security matters, which necessitated the desk, had been availed South Africa for screening.
“Based on initial scrutiny of the documents, the Challenger Jet has been released pending the conclusion of a full-scale investigation by South Africa.”
The source said South African authorities impounded the cash because of “procedural error”.
“There was procedural error at the airport, the team did not declare the $9.3million contrary to the aviation and customs laws in South Africa,” he said.
“So, there was an oversight on the part of the delegation that went to complete the transaction.
“Nigeria is trying to complete the formality and we are confident that the cash will be released for the purpose it was meant for.
“Movement of cash for strategic purchase of security equipment by intelligence service is not new; it is a global trend. The FBI, KGB, MOSSAD and others do it,” the statement said. Source: Premium times

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by otokx(m): 9:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
What can we say?
Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
the government is shielding some bigwigs. Why must goodluck always support corruption?

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Amanwulu1(m): 9:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
sooo
Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by egift(m): 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2014
The most corrupt Administration in the history of Nigeria.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by brownlords: 9:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
Jonathan again, okay the jet belongs to CAN president, Jonathan's right hand man and the govt. admit ownership of the money.

Sincerenigeria, how far?

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
Why would the federal government do business in cash? The same government that is touting cashless economy in Nigeria is moving around millions in cash! This government is more than rotten.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by publicenemy(m): 10:03pm On Sep 16, 2014
Only God knows if this isn't a move to cover up the intended.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ordinary stealing is not corruption.

Jonathan defending corruption since Noah created an Ark.

grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by santos247(m): 10:10pm On Sep 16, 2014
EVEN America will know. Why would a government wanting to buy arms transact bussines in cash.The excuse that MOSAD and FBI do it is just too lame.How come a private jet was used? Why not use diplomatic transit? How come a faceless Ishaku was the courier?? There is lots that need to be unravelled. GEJ,even if you wash your hands in the Atlantic ocean, your government is the most corrupt un recent times !!!

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by FastShipping: 10:13pm On Sep 16, 2014
Amanwulu1: sooo

SMH!
Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by egift(m): 10:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
Jonathan, shielding superlative Corruption since Sliced Bread shocked

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
santos247: EVEN America will know. Why would a government wanting to buy arms transact bussines in cash.The excuse that MOSAD and FBI do it is just too lame.How come a private jet was used? Why not use diplomatic transit? How come a faceless Ishaku was the courier?? There is lots that need to be unravelled. GEJ,even if you wash your hands in the Atlantic ocean, your government is the most corrupt un recent times !!!
Exactly, you are current.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Abagworo(m): 10:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
brownlords: Jonathan again, okay the jet belongs to CAN president, Jonathan's right hand man and the govt. admit ownership of the money.

Sincerenigeria, how far?

El-Rufai might be right after all. Obasanjo may be right after all. FG is very likely involved in the Boko Haram drama.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by kel4soft: 10:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
Abagworo:

El-Rufai might be right after all. Obasanjo may be right after all. FG is very likely involved in the Boko Haram drama.

Suprise...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Dapyem(m): 10:53pm On Sep 16, 2014
hmmm hmmm,na wa o.
fg biz bin carried out using private chatered jet?
arms for one security agency in ngr spearheded by one ishayku?
some1 shld pls explain

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by arewanationz: 11:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
Bullcrap cover up by FG. The truth will gradually be out.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by size38: 11:12pm On Sep 16, 2014
I suggest that human right groups in both Nigeria and south Africa should involve their foreign counterpart to unravel the truth. because Nigerian govt is full of lies. There is no place in the world where such amount will be carried cash to push Arms. This things are done through banks and not having the money physical to the tune of that amount.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by sexyviper: 11:18pm On Sep 16, 2014
cheesy yeah God is at work, first it was T.B joshua, now orisejafor and jonathan just shot himself in the foot AGIAN !!!!!!!!!! kai kai kai Nigeria is in big trouble, i swear WE ARE IN DEEP SHIT.
Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
Abagworo:

on point. sherif, ihejirika, oritsejafor, jonathan my list of boko haram sponsors.am stil observin

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
If I don't like you, you can not be good. When everyone was crazy about GEJ, I don't just don't like him. My feelings don't lie. Jonathan is up to no good. God will continue to expose him and ultimately disgrace him out of office next year!

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by XketchDesigns(m): 12:30am On Sep 17, 2014
[b]can some one help me as the Nairaland Team why all this revelations is not sent to the front page?

Some even with 2 pages of comments is still sitting in the dusty corners of nairaland, but when silly things like what tiwa decides to wear or some very silly topics in that line hit the front page with less than 3 comments.

Anways, this government is the worst in all history, the way GEJ managed this country in the past years is just so shocking. The more surprising is when you try to demand explanation they call you anti GEJ, boko haram sympathiser and the likes.

Arms being purchased for an organisation like nigeria and your using raw cash in that sum?
The representative is not someone from the state or an official of a security agency. Imagine!!!
On official duty for the state of Nigeria and they had to chatter a private jet, what happened to all the 9 planes in the fleet. Better yet, it's an arms deal, what happen to military aircraft?

Evidently, this was supposed to be under wraps, and off the records.

Why so? It can be a classified thing, yes! But not an off the records thing!

Nigerians wake up o! This man GEJ is starring this ship to distruction.[/b]

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by aderonila18: 12:33am On Sep 17, 2014
Abagworo:

Now I believe Them
Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by aderonila18: 12:38am On Sep 17, 2014
No sane government buys weapons with cash. The normal thing is to pay electronically so that it can be verified that the money was actually spent for what was budgeted for. No government will lease a private jet ( under the name of a dubious comapny )while Niegria has so many private jets and then hand so much money to one Nigerian and one foreigner to take that cash into another country when they know it is illegal to carry such amounts of cash into any country without it's government's approval.

All these lies they are sharing!

Truth is Nigerian's eyes have been opened. Everyone I've talked to about this incidence all agree that the Federal Government has a hand in the Boko Haram situation. They are simply covering up for illegal arms being bought for BH.

Haven't you always wondered why it's so easy for BH to buy arms and ship them to Nigeria? Now I understand

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by obailala(m): 12:54am On Sep 17, 2014
The FG is simply claiming responsibility for this dishonorable act in order to cover up the crimes of someone... Or else, how could the government legitimately be purchasing arms through such shady means...

Jonathan will go down in history as the most 'responsible' president who always claims responsibility and defends the ill actions of his allies... Not long ago the CBN governor raised an alarm of missing $20billion. I would have expected the president to do the usual thing which is to set up a committee to investigate the allegation (till eternity). Instead, the caring and 'responsible' president jumped immediately to the defense of whoever the culprits were and his response was "No money is missing... If money is missing, America will know," all in a bid to cover up some close allies.. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by bappahman: 1:04am On Sep 17, 2014
Questions regarding the $9.3 cash for arms scandal, we need answers urgently.
-how can such a huge cash transaction without any paper trail be "legitimate”?
-we are interested in knowing if this
money is part of any budget?
-madam Ngozi must explain whether cash is the new mode of transaction by our govt?
-CBN must tell us if they provide the dollars
-we need to know the bidding formats of this "legitimate" contract?
-Which Security service requested for the equipments?

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Centrifude(m): 1:48am On Sep 17, 2014
At least South Africa isn't being blamed for this.
This whole story sounds really sketchy, some one from Nigeria was probably tryna hide money in S.A.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by engrfcuksmtin(m): 2:08am On Sep 17, 2014
A friend working with one of the security agencies once mentioned it to me that most of the private jet owners in Nigeria are into money laudery, arms and drug dealings. Includig the men of God..GEJ government is just trying to cover up the uncoverable, I am sure the entire world is watching and this intel will not be discarded by relevant international security organizations.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by jumobi1(m): 2:55am On Sep 17, 2014
SAI APC. I can no longer support this government. We deserve something else... I'm willing to gamble on the devil i do not know.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by musiwa95: 3:01am On Sep 17, 2014
[size=18pt]why would anyone want to buy weapon.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Nobody: 3:18am On Sep 17, 2014
When i as a Christian stuck my political fortune with GMB, religious charlatans and ethnic bigots thought it to be unheard of......expecting me to solidarise with a devilish man by the name Goodluck when i know for a fact that he has a sinister motive to destroy Nigeria and shed innocent blood

Whoever that is yet to be convinced that there is a grand plan by GEJ to either secure his 2nd term by hook and crook or destroy Nigeria in the alternative,that person is a fool

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Admits Ownership Of $9.3m Arms Money Seized By S. Africafr by Donfamous(m): 4:47am On Sep 17, 2014
Aswear dis ppl are confusing, I'll rather keep my votes come2015

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onitsha Traders Jubilate As Obiano Installs CCTV At Market / GEJ Or GMB Who Is More Intelligent? See Pix Below / hh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.