Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (20366 Views)

100,000 Nigerians Live Outside Nigeria As Refugees — US / Over 1m Nigerians Live In London – Mayor Of London / Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Drusilla(f): 4:10am On Jul 28, 2006
I am wondering how many Nigerians live outside of Nigeria?
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 4:20am On Jul 28, 2006
I would extimate at least 20 million. This figure includes those that only have one Nigerian parents.

Of course, I am basing this entirely off shady estimates I know about Nigerian population in Ghana (about 2 million), Ivory coast (a little more than a Millioin), South Africa (About 2 million) and then at least 5 million in UK and 4-6 million in America and then the rest would come from other countries.

Note: This figure might be way off the mark. But in all honesty, even the Federal Government of Nigeria couldn't give you an honest estimate. Heck, they couldn't give you an honest estimate on the number of people in the country (until they get done counting the census by late 3rd quater).
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Drusilla(f): 4:33am On Jul 28, 2006
Thank you
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Drusilla(f): 4:43am On Jul 28, 2006
Wait a second.

4-6 million in America

Now I have not checked in a long time but last time I did, America only has 2 million African and Carribean Immigrants and the majority of them from the Carribean.

My sister's boyfriend was of course born in America, then brought back to Nigeria for school and then sent back to America for college.

But there can not be 5 million of those in that situtation.

And since African and Carribean Immigrants are still put out of America more than any other immigrant group, there would be no way to hide that many Africans illegally.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 4:46am On Jul 28, 2006
It is very likely that there are 5 million Nigerians in America. Note that it is hard to point out an African from an African American if they have assimilated fully into the new society. Also, note, I said I was including people that had one parent that is Nigerian as one.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Drusilla(f): 5:48am On Jul 28, 2006
Afeni,

You got me there. Nigerians, in particular do look like African Americans.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the discrepancy between the NOI numbers for Black Americans and the governments census. NOI counts us at millions higher than the gov.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 5:53am On Jul 28, 2006
I see. I think they are about 40 million black people (according to the Federal Government figures). NOI might not make a distinction between Latino blacks and non-latino blacks. Of course, you already know that the American Government has White (non latino), Black (non latino), Latino (Black, White and Native indians), Asians, American Indians and pacific Islanders.

Lastly, the name Dahitler is a stupid prank that Seun is playing. Maybe he doesn't understand that accusing someone of being akin to Hitler is no joke.  angry
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Drusilla(f): 6:32am On Jul 28, 2006
Afeni,

Thank you for telling me that. I apologize. I did think it was you pulling some tasteless prank.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 3:23am On Oct 20, 2006
send email to Nigeria consulate in NY and they will give you and estimate figure of Nigerians Americans.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by otokx(m): 1:37am On Oct 23, 2006
this is very interesting. will the figure include those that also possess green card?
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by TCUBE(m): 8:09am On Jun 03, 2007
dont even bother to send any email to the consular ng in ws=ashingtyon, they aint got no record, nigerians in the usa, 2.7 million, excluing those bron here
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by nigeria1: 12:52am On Jun 04, 2007
I would assume just above 10 million are of nigeria origin abroad,  In my city, Nigeria churches only is over 30 ,   so imagine how many we are ?/ I know that in DC ,  Nigeria are so many that for every 15 black one is likely to be a nigerian,   same in detriot., chicago,

everytime, i go to a mall close to me,  I find nothing less than 5 nigerian at every 1 minute in that mall,  even a Nigerian is the president of one of america 10 bank,
I know many Nigeria who are manager in their office,  and a nigeria was vice president of a company with over 6 billion worth,   we work and live among white,

Redemeed church church RCCG only have over 300 churches in north america, so I know Nigeria churches is over 600 in north america,

I would start posting picture of event over here on NigeriaONE.com  ,

Here is how i can to that conclusion of 10 million,
In UK i would assume about 1 million are of Nigeria origin.
USA about 2 million

Canada is 0.2 million they claim,  Legl and illegal,

other part of Europe  and 1 million
West africa   3 million
other part of africa 3 million
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 2:29am On Jun 04, 2007
mod
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by smile4kenn(m): 9:03am On Jun 04, 2007
about 3 million live in china and 4 million in other part of Asia
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by dblock(m): 10:12am On Jun 04, 2007
There are about 500 Nigerians in Oceania. Probably less but, yeah wink
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by stranger12: 11:17am On Jun 04, 2007
SEFAGO:

you guys are joking right? There are no more than 500,000 nigerians in the US. This is even an exaggeration. The US has a population of 300 million people with most of them being caucasians and hispanics. I am sure if the US had such a large population of nigerians then most people would be acquainted which is rarely the case. Most people in my school have never met a nigerian before and I school in DC. Also some states have virtually no nigerians such as kansas and idaho.

English is the lingua franca in the US.

I've met Russian speaking Nigerians.
You will find Nigerians in Russia, why not in Kansas or Idaho?

Is there any special rule for Nigerian migration?
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by smile4kenn(m): 5:38am On Jun 05, 2007
I have met so many chinese girls speaking nigerian pigin very well and i know indonesians and chinese that speak Ibo language.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by denex: 10:54am On Jun 05, 2007
@SEFAGO

There are about 100,000 LEGAL NIGERIAN IMMIGRANTS in Houston Texas alone. I Searched in google: "Nigerians in Houston" con't omit the quotation marks when searching it.

So if there are 100,000 legal Nigerian immigrants in Houston, what do you think is the total number of Nigerian immigrants, both legal and illegal, what do you think is the total population of Nigerians in Houston, both immigrant and 2nd and 3rd generation Citizens? Then the total number of Nigerians in Texas. Then in Jersey, Chicago and the other states which are not of so much interest in Nigerians.
But don't tell me there's a state in this world where there are no Nigerians. There are plenty of Nigerian fishermen in Alaska, so why not Kansas. Please ask Omofolabi Ajayi Soyinka of the university of Kansas, Department of theatre and film, whether there are any Nigerians in Kansas.

And why would a lot of Nigerians be in DC? Especially illegal ones would they want to be in the state where the Federal Government resides.

Abeg DaHitler got the figure just right.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by tlops(m): 11:20am On Jun 05, 2007
plus 1 (me) I have seven other guys that are nigerians that I know.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by nigeria1: 5:04am On Jun 10, 2007
look, Putting Nigeria at 2 million, My source is the president of Nigeria in the USA, and the figure could be corect because the USA embassy I once read claim thier are about 55,000 nigeria living in Nigeria with USA citizen, So do the math, You need to go to maryland, I can tell you this, At dc or baltimore, chicago, detriot greyhound station, For 22 hours of 24, there would be a nigeria at that station. At leastone Nigerian.

Please when I mean Nigerian, I mean at least one parent is Nigerian, It is the qualification for a nigerian, even when this children really claim america, If they say 500,000 nigerian in america, They do not count children born to at least Nigerian parent as nigeria, they are counted as american,

Do not forget thier are 20 million illegal immigrate in America,
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 6:26pm On Jun 10, 2007
mod
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by nigeria1: 7:25pm On Jun 10, 2007
Like i said the figure i got from the Nigerian president in america.
I do not believe that black people are just 31 million in america,  look how many slave per slave master,  it is census manipulation, 

You are wrong, Nigerian have lived in the USA,  for a long time,  Most of them who came to study never went back,  before the introduction of DV visa, Nigerian use to live in america,  most were illegal,   They do not need visa,  to get to america,  Most of them went through out means to get there,  Most Nigeria never come back home,  because they use to live illegal in USA,    The number of Nigerian who won DV visa is just about 20,000,  So how come many live in the USA.  Sorry,   Even let assume just for the DV visa only,  one wife, one husband and 2 children,  4 per DV visa,  you get 80,000 nigerian,     

Do you know how many Nigeria who had USA visa in the last 30 years,  I would assume 50% never return come,  because in Nigeria , before they give you visa , you would waste nearly one year at that embassy, they try nigerian like piece of S.  Give pastor more than 500,000 naira in prayer,  Visit bablawo  3,000 times,     go to mosque 10 times a day,  When you now get it,  what most people do because they can't affort airline ticket,  they sell all they have,  With the desire never to return,  they do not care if they are illegal in USA,  because they believe an Illegal immigrate is better off than a citizen of Nigeria passport holder,  They get here,  Get married to a USA citizen,  Use condom for awhile,  the woman discovered why she have not had a child,  buy her own condom and drill a hole in it,  and the baby came(she calls the baby Miracle),  He can't leave the USA for life,  You know how people,  They can't leave their children behind,  Some even try kidnap to get the children back to Nigeria,  it never worked out.  Nigerian Men would say thank you to America woman for having a heart.   

So now imagine how many visa the USA embassy have given in the last 30 years,   let work on on 10,000 visa a years,   an average  of 30 visa a day

5000 never return back,   so for 30 years -- the never return back would be 5000 x 30== 150,000 never return back( MAY BE LEGAL OR ILLEGAL),

each of this people now have 2 children who are USA citizen at least, some have children,    gives you 450,000 nigerian,

each of this people when they get there ,they use an legal or illegal means to get at least 1 or 2 family member over there,   450,000 x 3 = 1.35 million,   most sponsor their family,   

Another group comes from europe legal and illegal,  because they claim the place no good for black man,   My brother,  If you go to school in america,  You do not know America,  you just went to school,  come back home ,  and return back home without go through the system,  That why when Nigeria govt now appoint people who only went to school abroad into govt , they never perform,  because really they never learnt an thing,  about the society while abroad,  they were on the university compound most of the time,  They only people that have real Experienc of aboard and understand how the system works are not people who came here to go to school and run back to Nigeria, but are the people who remain in the USA, canadian , and britian or other countries and live there and have their children go through the system.

that why President Yar Adua should please help nigeria abroad,  alot have no legal status in USA and britian,  They could talk to Bush to help.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 9:00pm On Jun 10, 2007
mod
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by denex: 12:30pm On Jun 11, 2007
My guy, make you leave that thing O! Naija borku for yankee. Me am even talking about 1 million Nigerian Families in Yankee.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 1:22am On Jun 12, 2007
shit! My previous post was too long for me to even read.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by degoat: 1:31am On Jun 12, 2007
If the entire population is 100

I will say 35% educated Nigerians live outside Nigeria, 15% illiterate Nigerians live outside Nigeria, 23% educated Nigerians live in Nigeria, while the remaining 28% are illiterate and they also live in Nigeria.

Therefore 50% Nigerians live outside Nigeria and the other 50% still live in Nigeria.

Answer: 50% Nigerians live outside of Nigeria.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 2:51am On Jun 12, 2007
hegoat you should prove your statistics. You can't jus come here and start claiming 50% of nigerians live outside nigeria. 50% of what? Sorry just noticed it was degoat cheesy
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by uspry1(f): 3:29am On Jun 12, 2007
Here is the link of Migration Information Source about African Foreign-born in the United States at below:

http://www.migrationinformation.org/USfocus/display.cfm?ID=250
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Vercetti4: 3:58am On Jul 01, 2007
This reply is for that SEFAGO guy.

SEFAGO first of all are you actually Nigerian or of Nigerian descent? Well anyway I'm a black British man of Nigerian descent and I'm quite interested in these types of topics to do with statistics. I was born and bred in London, UK where I live right now, but I must say I do know alot of about migration patterns for Nigerians in both the UK and USA. I must say that I agree with you in some part, but I disagree with you in alot of things said by you.

* First of all official estimates put the number of both Nigerians and those of Nigerian descent in the United States at 1 million at least.
You can check this fact on the US Department of State webpage on Nigeria (Bureau of African of Affairs).http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2836.htm

* It is VERY possible that there may even be more than one million Nigerians in the United States. It could amount up to 2 million. Nigeria is a population of 120 million people, and near enough to 5 % of the population live abroad mostly in the US and the UK, so it is quite easily possible to attain this figure. Every Nigerian I know or 99% of them have family and relatives in the United States. Believe me, I know a lot of Nigerians.

* In relation to what you said about (non-Hispanic) Caribbean immigrants to the United States, yes there are a sizeable number, but most of these Caribbean Island nation populations dont even add up to anywhere to the population of Nigeria let alone other African nations! Jamaica is the largest at 2.5 million compared to Nigeria's 120 million. So looking at these numbers it is very easy to see how Nigerian immigrant numbers in the USA can equal the Caribbeans. Just because they came earlier it doesnt mean they will be more. As the number of Jews in America, I believe that is a serious undercount so dont compare that figure.

* Numerous Nigerians are easily found in many small towns and cities in the United States, not just the big main cities. You are so wrong. Of course there are Nigerians in Kansas and Idaho. Check on the website search engines or read Nigerian magazines like Oviation - they are full of information and photos on Nigerian community events and societies in these small towns and cities. I have Nigerian relatives in a small suburban town in New Jersey. He tells me 20 other Nigerian families live there now. But you will find Nigerians mostly in places where they deem as popular - New york, New Jersey, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Atlanta, Baltimore, Washington DC and Philadelphia. Over 100,000 Nigerians live in Houston, Texas alone, which is a very high number indeed. You can check out the fact yourself. This is only Houston, bear that in mind. What about these other smaller town and cities? I know Nigerians who been all over the States and they have seen Nigerians in every state, even in places they would have expected to. Check out on google -

* That is rubbish about what you said about Nigerians in the DC area. There are so many Nigerians that live there. I have many relatives in that DC/Baltimore area. So what if you dont know that much Nigerians, maybe its just by chance you dont meet that much, but excuse me the United States is a very huge country! Many Nigerians who I know that live in the States say there is alot Nigerians in the DC area, and I've seen articles and reports confirming it, check online yourself. What you need to understand is that fact that it can often be very hard to tell a Nigerian from an African-American, especially when a Nigerian assimilates into American society and adopts the accent! And let me tell you this - most Nigerians can assimilate into society in western nations (UK and USA) with rapid ease, especially American society (Young Nigerians are very much influenced by African-American culture). It is more than likely you've spoken to many Nigerians in DC without knowing it. I have Nigerian-born cousins in the States and you would'nt have any idea that they were Nigerian - the idea would'nt even enter your head at first.

* Yes I admit it is hard to enter the United States these days, but you obviously dont know or understand the immense willpower and burning determination of Nigerians that aim to immigrate to the USA or any other rich western nation, legally or illegally. Nothing can stop a Nigerian if he or she makes a serious concentrated effort to enter another country. Surely you must know by now the repuation Nigerians have as master illegal immigration experts? They use all sorts of advanced methods to enter the United States (fraudlent passports, fake IDs and documents, and believe me Nigerians are one of the best at that!). Look how big the USA is, there are millions and millions of undocumented immigrants, an illegal Nigerian can easily melt away! Census figures are unreliable for many reasons. Officially, there are 1.7 million African immigrants or of African immigrant descent, check online sources on inmotion amme. Most would be Nigerian, making it at least near to a million (not including uncounted for ones). Many Nigerians legal and illegal probably havent even bothered to register with these census counts, especially the illegal ones, for fear of being found out and deported. Many Nigerians get visas and never return it's a common practice.

* There are one million Nigerians and Nigerian-Americans collectively in the United States, it's official. They may well be more than that. Anyone can check online sources that I've given you. SEFAGO you also need to check that wikipedia Nigerian-American article and read it properly. It tells you one million Nigerians are in the United States.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by Vercetti4: 4:09am On Jul 01, 2007
By the way another interesting fact for you is that many African-Americans are actually of Nigerian descent. At least 25% of African slaves brought to the United States during the slave trade came from Nigeria directly. Many of them where Ibos, you can check this yourself too. The United States is a more popular destination for Nigerians to emigrate these days, even more so than the UK. 10 years ago Black Caribbeans out-numbered Black Africans in London. Now 10 laters Black Africans outnumber Black Caribbeans in London. Most of these Black Africans are Nigerians. Now it should'nt be hard to see why Nigerians have easily become a fast-rising immigrant number group in the United States.

US STATE DEPARTMENT ARTICLE http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2836.htm

The government has lent strong diplomatic support to U.S. Government counter-terrorism efforts in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. The Government of Nigeria, in its official statements, has both condemned the terrorist attacks and supported military action against the Taliban and Al Qaida. Nigeria also has played a leading role in forging an anti-terrorism consensus among states in Sub-Saharan Africa. An estimated one million Nigerians and Nigerian Americans live, study, and work in the United States, while over 25,000 Americans live and work in Nigeria.

U.S. Foreign Assistance Priorities

WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_American

A Nigerian American is an American citizen of Nigerian ancestry, typically themselves or children of African immigrants. It also applies to people born in Nigeria who then immigrated to the United States. Since the late 1960s and early 1970s, approximately one million Nigerians immigrated to the United States. As is the case with the population of the continent of Africa, Nigerian Americans are the single largest African immigrant group in the United States, far outpacing smaller immigrant groups from Ghana and Liberia and rivaling those from Jamaica and Suriname. Nigeria's current indigenous population is 140 million and it is estimated that 20 million more reside outside Nigeria with the majority living in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by dblock(m): 6:23am On Jul 01, 2007
According to BBC, there are 88,105 LEGAL Nigerians in Britain
Re: How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2007
modification

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami / CAN, CSOs, Others Reject Onochie’s Nomination As INEC Commissioner / Eko Electricity Apologises As National Grid Collapses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.