Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn (2385 Views)

What Is The Hardest Question You've Ever Been Asked? / Chinese Girl Writes With Both Hands At A Time, In Different Languages / Who Can Speak Other Foreign Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:01pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 10: French
As an official language in 29 countries,
French is a challenging language. However,
it can be seen as both easy and hard,
depending on the learner's native language.
French is a Roman language. If the learner's
grasp of other Roman languages such as
Italian, Portuguese and Spanish is strong,
French will be a very quick and enjoyable
new language to acquire. Otherwise, for
those coming from a completely different
language family, learning French would be
considerably more difficult. Its
pronunciation follows very strict rules based
on the spelling, which is often based more
on history than phonology.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 9: Danish
Danish is a North Germanic language spoken
by some 6 million people. The sound system
of Danish is in many ways unusual among
the world's languages, which makes it one of
the hardest languages in the world to learn,
as the spoken language usually does not
sound anything like its written version.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:04pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 8: Norwegian
Norwegian is a North Germanic language
spoken primarily in Norway, where it is the
official language. It is among the world's
languages that's the most difficult to learn
how to speak well. No officially sanctioned
standard of spoken Norwegian is in place
and most Norwegians speak their own
dialect at any given time.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:05pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 7: German
As one of the world's major languages,
German holds the largest number of native
speakers within the European Union. It is a
language which contains several standard
dialects, both in its spoken and written
forms. As an inflected language with three
grammatical genders, it has a large number
of words deriving from the same root.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:06pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 6: Finnish
As a language spoken by the majority of the
population in Finland, Finnish is hard to
learn for its extremely complicated
grammar and "endless derivative suffixes."
Finnish employs extensive modifiers to
verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives and
numerals, depending on their roles in the
sentence.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 5: Japanese
Japanese is an East Asian language spoken
primarily in Japan. According to documents,
Chinese had a considerable influence on the
vocabulary and phonology of Old Japanese.
Since 1945, it has borrowed a large number
of words from English, especially vocabulary
relating to technology. One major reason
which makes the language so hard to learn
is that the written code is different from the
spoken code. In addition, Japanese has an
extensive grammatical system to express
politeness and formalities.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 4: Icelandic
Icelandic, a North Germanic language, is the
main language of Iceland. Icelandic is hard
to learn because of its archaic vocabulary
and complex grammar. Icelandic retains
many grammatical features of other ancient
Germanic languages, and modern Icelandic
is still a heavily inflected language.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:10pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 3: Arabic
Arabic, belonging to the Afro-Asiatic
language family, includes both the literary
language and varieties of Arabic spoken
across the Middle East, North Africa, and the
Horn of Africa. The language has a complex
and unusual method in constructing words
from a basic root. For instance, nouns in
Literary Arabic have three grammatical
cases, three numbers, two genders and
three "states."
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 2: Greek
As an independent branch of the Indo-
European family of languages, the Greek
language features the longest and most
documented history. It is spoken mainly
across Greece and Cyprus. Along its history,
its syllabic structure has remained constant.
It has a mixed syllable structure, allowing
for relatively complex combinations of
sounds. In addition, Greek possesses an
extensive set of productive derivational
affixes and a rich inflectional system.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
Top 1: Chinese
Chinese forms one of the branches of the
Sino-Tibetan language family and over one
billion people can name it as their native
language. The relationship between the
spoken and written Chinese language is
rather complex. Its written form has no
clues as to how it is actually pronounced.
The tone system also is a pain because there
are many homophones in Chinese only
distinguishable by the four tones. Even this
is often not enough unless the actual context
and exact phrase are identified.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 17, 2014
Hah...yungchop??
Na you be this
Lol
That chinese go hard well-well. Whenever I watch Chinese films way back without subtitle, I am always Sooooo lost.

Then German : I look @ their letters/words and wonder how they do it. One word will have more than twenty-six letters which happens to be our total normal number of alphabets here...
How do they pronounce them?

I am good @none!
Maybe a lil of french...which I would only understand with slow motion sef.
... none joor.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:14pm On Sep 17, 2014
So nairalanders which of em are you fluent in?? Am fluent in Arabic being a muslim and was born in Qatar. Am currently learning german and russian! Russian is so simple but has so many false friends alphabets, just get it right and you're good to go!
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Hah...yungchop??
Na you be this
Lol
That chinese go hard well-well. Whenever I watch Chinese films way back without subtitle, I am always Sooooo lost.
you've been ignoring me since 23april 1890 sad
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by priscaoge(f): 12:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
I wanna learn French n German languages!...That Chinese n Arabic Language na to cut my tongue be datcheesy
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
yungchop: you've been ignoring me since 23april 1890 sad
Lol...
Bc I can see you now run an Institute of Woman-wrappering...just kidding. angry
I have replied you...check.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by priscaoge(f): 12:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
yungchop: So nairalanders which of em are you fluent in?? Am fluent in Arabic being a muslim and was born in Qatar. Am currently learning german and russian! Russian is so simple but has so many false friends alphabets, just get it right and you're good to go!
Is Arabic not difficult?
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:29pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
Lol...
Bc I can see you now run an Institute of Woman-wrappering...just kidding. angry
I have replied you...check.
I've stopped it. @priscaoge arabic is just so fvcking simple mehn, asin when you know its literatures and musical parts mehn!! Try listening to arab musics and see, I can even rap with arabic
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by agedmanng: 12:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
Guten tag
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 17, 2014
@yungchop
Which year you stop am?...because I haven't noticed...time will tell. Anyway, lets not derail this lovely thread...
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Chanchit: 12:33pm On Sep 17, 2014
Currently learning deutsch(German) and I dnt think its that hard, I fear french more, but I can't go near languages that does not have alphabets.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by priscaoge(f): 12:33pm On Sep 17, 2014
yungchop: I've stopped it. @priscaoge arabic is just so fvcking simple mehn, asin when you know its literatures and musical parts mehn!! Try listening to arab musics and see, I can even rap with arabic
U say??shockedshocked Simple? With this their Arabic letters that look like shorthand n music notesgringringrin It doesn't have alphabets abi?
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Harmthe(m): 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2014
tank God, Yoruba is nt dere.

Even Alafin of Oyo is confusing by nw
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by chinex276(m): 12:40pm On Sep 17, 2014
French?? I am suprised!
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:49pm On Sep 17, 2014
priscaoge:
U say??shockedshocked Simple? With this their Arabic letters that look like shorthand n music notesgringringrin It doesn't have alphabets abi?
that's just it! Once you know the alif bah tah sir up till yah, and the vowels & cons. Then the sign, fatiha, kersuro, domo, sukun, fatiha taini, kersuro taini, domo taini, shedda, medda, alif-mordi ! That's all you need for arabic! Sounds like incantations right? Once you're in love with it there be no more probs. tongue
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by yungchop: 12:50pm On Sep 17, 2014
Chanchit: Currently learning deutsch(German) and I dnt think its that hard, I fear french more, but I can't go near languages that does not have alphabets.
danke ! cheesy
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by agedmanng: 12:53pm On Sep 17, 2014
Chanchit: Currently learning deutsch(German) and I dnt think its that hard, I fear french more, but I can't go near languages that does not have alphabets.

Are you learning online or in the classroom?
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by priscaoge(f): 1:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
yungchop: that's just it! Once you know the alif bah tah sir up till yah, and the vowels & cons. Then the sign, fatiha, kersuro, domo, sukun, fatiha taini, kersuro taini, domo taini, shedda, medda, alif-mordi ! That's all you need for arabic! Sounds like incantations right? Once you're in love with it there be no more probs. tongue
Omo see languagecheesycheesycheesy,Bro no vex eeeh,I no learn againcheesycheesycheesy. It will be so difficult 4 me cos am not a Muslim,and that's Y It's sounding so strange to me...Lol
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Jarchi(m): 1:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
Bueno, va a hacer el espanol. Spanish is simple to me but to odas no
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by spanzed(m): 1:35pm On Sep 17, 2014
Out of all dis language its only french I have been taught but still I no gree learn...my french teacher back den in junior sec school nearly kill me but still remain adamat!!! grin..had I known I would have listened in class.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Idrismusty97(m): 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2014
Where is Polish? Who compiled this list and on what criteria?
The hardest language to learn is: Polish – Seven cases, Seven genders and very difficult pronunciation. The average English speaker is fluent in their language at the age of 12, in contrast, the average Polish speaker is fluent in their language after age of 16.
http://claritaslux.com/blog/the-hardest-language-to-learn/
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Chanchit: 2:02pm On Sep 17, 2014
agedmanng:

Are you learning online or in the classroom?

Currently in Goethe institute for German language.
Re: Top 10 Hardest Foreign Languages To Learn by Chanchit: 2:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
yungchop: danke ! cheesy

Nix zu danken..!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Throwback: Do You Remember This? (Picture included) / Pastor Involved In Car Accident While Driving And Having Sex With A School Girl / Self Help & Motivational Ebook Pack - 100 Ebooks With Resale Rights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.