Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head (6861 Views)

Samsung Galaxy A8: Samsung Slimmest Smartphone / Quadcore Snapdragon 801 Vs Octacore Snapdragon 615 / 4 Million Iphone 6/6+ Phones Sold In 24 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 6:28pm On Sep 19, 2014
Now that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are
about to hit the stores, the two phones have
undergone the Geekbench test suite. The
popular benchmark stresses the phone's CPU
and RAM by going through numerous tests to
determine the final single-core and multi-core
scores.
The results are quite interesting. The iPhone 6
trumps the iPhone 6 Plus in both single-core
and multi-core performance. The iPhone 6
scores are 1627 and 2920 points versus iPhone
6 Plus' 1481 and 2662 points for the single-
core and multi-core results, respectively.
Digging a bit deeper we can get a better idea
of why this is so, considering both are rocking
the same Apple A8 chipset with a dual-core
CPU. The processor in the iPhone 6 is clocked
at 1.39GHz, while the one in its bigger brother
runs at 70MHz lower speed, at 1.32GHz.
There's a difference in the RAM capacity as
well, however minuscule it might be. The
reported RAM memory for the iPhone 6 is
987MB, while the iPhone 6 Plus makes do with
975MB.
These minor differences in the CPU and RAM
specifications aren't enough to justify the large
gap in the test scores.
One possible explanation is that the Geekbench
suite itself isn't yet optimized for the Apple A8
architecture and has slight variations in its
results. Just yesterday another popular
benchmark suite Benchmark pulled off any test
results done on the Apple A8 chip until it sorts
known bugs with its software.

To compare the Snapdragon 801 in the S5 scores 938 in single core and 2836 in multicore. It remains to be seen if the Snapdragon 805 can do any better. The A8's single core performance almost doubles that of the Snapdragon 801 and that is not low bar for the 805 to top.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 6:44pm On Sep 19, 2014
That's single-core, you should be fair and discuss multi-threading/multi-core as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 6:46pm On Sep 19, 2014
The Title of this thread is really biased.

In essence, the Snapdragon 801 SoC is better for multi-tasking/multi-threading. But for single-core processes the A8 chipset is better.

2 Likes

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 6:49pm On Sep 19, 2014
Here is an interesting thread that details Geekbench benchmark scores for Android devices only.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 6:52pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198: The Title of this thread is really biased.

In essence, the Snapdragon 801 SoC is better for multi-tasking/multi-threading. But for single-core processes the A8 chipset is better.

Biased towards the surprise. Almost double the single core performance? I am not an Apple fan but that is definitely newsworthy. It even slightly edges out the 801 in multicore performance too, even though the difference is not much.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 7:08pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Biased towards the surprise. Almost double the single core performance? I am not an Apple fan but that is definitely newsworthy. It even slightly edges out the 801 in multicore performance too, even though the difference is not much.

It has been like that since the iphone 5S. The iphone 5S had better single-thread benchmark scores in geekbench 3 than the Snapdragon 800. I guess I should say the A7 had better single-thread performance than the Snapdragon 800 in Geekbench 3. The A7 in the iphone 5S scored a respectful 1350 in single-thread but lower in multi-thread scores to the Snapdragon 800. It's the exact same thing this year with the A8 vs. the Snapdragon 801.

I believe it's the 64-bit processor.

It seems that the trend is as follows A7/A8 > Snapdragon 800/801 in Single-thread performance

However, Snapdragon 800/801 > A7/A8 in multi-thread performance.

One thing I must add is that neither the A8 and Snapdragon 801 have been big upgrades to their predecessors. Both are roughly about 10-15% better from a CPU perspective than their predecessors.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 7:15pm On Sep 19, 2014
Alternatively these are geekbench scores for iOS devices. I posted the ones for Android Devices earlier.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

So based on these results, when the iphone 5S is compared to the iphone 6 plus, there is roughly a 12 - 13% CPU single thread performance increase.

When the iphone 5S is compared to the iphone 6, there is roughly a 20% increase based on Geekbench CPU single-thread performance results.

The reason the iphone 6 performs better than the 6 plus is due to the fact that it is pushing far less pixels (though one would think that is completely GPU oriented but the GPU in a way is a form of APU and is imbedded within the CPU).

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
Come back Lord Reed cry sad I feel like I'm having a monologue with myself.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Herrmes: 7:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
Hahahaha, lmfao, this is so short sighted, and mis-leading, does this guy even know what he's talking about? You say Iphone 6/6+ trumps the S5 in single core performance and you never said how many cores S5 has in relation to the Iphone 6/6+, And here's another thing, are you really comparing A8 chipset to Snapdragon 801 or are you comparing A8 chipset to Samsung Galaxy S5? Note 4 would be the better option since they're born closely

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198: Alternatively these are geekbench scores for iOS devices. I posted the ones for Android Devices earlier.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

So based on these results, when the iphone 5S is compared to the iphone 6 plus, there is roughly a 12 - 13% CPU single thread performance increase.

When the iphone 5S is compared to the iphone 6, there is roughly a 20% increase based on Geekbench CPU single-thread performance results.

The reason the iphone 6 performs better than the 6 plus is due to the fact that it is pushing far less pixels (though one would think that is completely GPU oriented but the GPU in a way is a form of APU and is imbedded within the CPU).

Still it is amazing performance considering that these are only dual core processors. Granted the iOS software is optimised for the hardware but when you compare it to the much celebrated quad and octa core performances you have to wonder whether they are really worth the hype.

Personally, I am sticking with Android for now until some other OS can offer me features I regularly use my smartphone for. I did think I'd be wooed by Apple move iPhone to larger screens but I took a critical look at what I enjoying using my smartphone phone to do. Apple and MS have not yet offered me those features.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 7:49pm On Sep 19, 2014
Herrmes: Hahahaha, lmfao, this is so short sighted, and mis-leading, does this guy even know what he's talking about? You say Iphone 6/6+ trumps the S5 in single core performance and you never said how many cores S5 has in relation to the Iphone 6/6+, And here's another thing, are you really comparing A8 chipset to Snapdragon 801 or are you comparing A8 chipset to Samsung Galaxy S5? Note 4 would be the better option since they're born closely

Oh shut up! I only mentioned S5 because of the Snapdragon chip set and besides the thread title does not mention S5.

When the benchmark figures for Snapdragon 805 come out we shall compare. For now keep mute or add constructively.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 7:56pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Still it is amazing performance considering that these are only dual core processors. Granted the iOS software is optimised for the hardware but when you compare it to the much celebrated quad and octa core performances you have to wonder whether they are really worth the hype.

Personally, I am sticking with Android for now until some other OS can offer me features I regularly use my smartphone for. I did think I'd be wooed by Apple move iPhone to larger screens but I took a critical look at what I enjoying using my smartphone phone to do. Apple and MS have not yet offered me those features.

I agree it's amazing performance. That amazing single-threaded performance started with the iphone 5S and transitioned into the iphone 6/6 plus. With that said though, I believe that phone hardware is beginning to plateau. The increase in performance from last year to this year was quite laughable. Mobile SoC's seem to be reaching what they call their peak. Same thing happened with Desktop CPUs and it's now happening with mobile CPUs.

I'm also sticking to Android because they seem to always have features implemented in them before iOS integrates said features. Octa-core is a major marketing gimmick (major one) and to a lesser extent, quad core. Intel proves this because their quad-core i7s outperform AMD hexa and octacore processors.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Herrmes: 7:59pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Oh shut up! I only mentioned S5 because of the Snapdragon chip set and besides the thread title does not mention S5.

When the benchmark figures for Snapdragon 805 come out we shall compare. For keep mute or add constructively.
Lol, I'm not saying you should compare A8 to 805, all I'm saying is that since Iphone 6/6+ is the best smartphone with A8 chipset isn't it fair to compare it to the best smartphone with 801? dumbFuck, All I'm saying is are you staging a comparison between, 801 and A8 or between Iphone and S5? Get your brain together

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 8:05pm On Sep 19, 2014
Herrmes: Lol, I'm not saying you should compare A8 to 805, all I'm saying is that since Iphone 6/6+ is the best smartphone with A8 chipset isn't it fair to compare it to the best smartphone with 801? dumbFuck, All I'm saying is are you staging a comparison between, 801 and A8 or between Iphone and S5? Get your brain together

Shut your pie hole douche bag! Is there another phone apart from the iPhone 6/6+ that carries the A8 chip set? BTW which is the best phone with the 801 dumbass?
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:10pm On Sep 19, 2014
Gentlemen, there is no need to bicker over this issue. The A8 to Snapdragon 801 comparison is a fair one relatively speaking. From what I have read, the 805 isn't much of an upgrade to the 801/800. The GPU increase from the Adreno 330 to Adreno 420 though is an ok increase however.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 8:10pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198:

I agree it's amazing performance. That amazing single-threaded performance started with the iphone 5S and transitioned into the iphone 6/6 plus. With that said though, I believe that phone hardware is beginning to plateau. The increase in performance from last year to this year was quite laughable. Mobile SoC's seem to be reaching what they call their peak. Same thing happened with Desktop CPUs and it's now happening with mobile CPUs.

I'm also sticking to Android because they seem to always have features implemented in them before iOS integrates said features. Octa-core is a major marketing gimmick (major one) and to a lesser extent, quad core. Intel proves this because their quad-core i7s outperform AMD hexa and octacore processors.

I think I am beginning to agree that some these multicore hoopla is indeed marketing gimmick because you barely see the difference from platform to platform in real world performance. Except of course where software is properly optimised which doesn't always happen anyway.

All in all though having lots of choice is good for us.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:11pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

I think I am beginning to agree that some these multicore hoopla is indeed marketing gimmick because you barely see the difference from platform to platform in real world performance. Except of course where software is properly optimised which doesn't always happen anyway.

All in all though having lots of choice is good for us.

100% agree
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Herrmes: 8:13pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Shut your pie hole douche bag! Is there another phone apart from the iPhone 6/6+ that carries the A8 chip set? BTW which is the best phone with the 801 dumbass?
Do you even read your thread? that other guy posted a link, I'm sorry for calling you a name, it was a display of immaturity from me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 8:19pm On Sep 19, 2014
Herrmes: Do you even read your thread? that other guy posted a link, I'm sorry for calling you a name, it was a display of immaturity from me.

Apology accepted.

I did look at the link. In single core performance the best 801 device in single core performance is not a phone and still it lags well behind the A8.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Herrmes: 8:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Apology accepted.

I did look at the link. In single core performance the best 801 device in single core performance is not a phone and still it lags well behind the A8.
Hey, that's not fair grin you have to apologize to me too, you started it after all tongue grin grin

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Apology accepted.

No doubt but where Apple was weak last year, it's again weak this year and that's the GPU cheesy

Last year the GPU performance of the Snapdragon 800 was about 20-25% better than the GPU performance of the A7. Since the 801 uses the same GPU as the 800, I'm wondering if the A8 has finally caught up to the Adreno 330. What I do know is that the Tegra K1 blows both out of the water in regards to GPU performance. It will be interesting to see how the Adreno 420 compares to the Tegra K1. I don't think Apples GPU is that good.

3DMark is the best benchmark for cross-platform GPUs.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 8:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198:

No doubt but where Apple was weak last year, it's again weak this year and that's the GPU cheesy

Last year the GPU performance of the Snapdragon 800 was about 20-25% better than the GPU performance of the A7. Since the 801 uses the same GPU as the 800, I'm wondering if the A8 has finally caught up to the Adreno 330. What I do know is that the Tegra K1 blows both out of the water in regards to GPU performance. It will be interesting to see how the Adreno 420 compares to the Tegra K1. I don't think Apples GPU is that good.

3DMark is the best benchmark for cross-platform GPUs.

I have to check out the GPU comparisons even though I have lost taste for mobile gaming.

Is there any device using the K1?
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:39pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

I have to check out the GPU comparisons even though I have lost taste for mobile gaming.

Is there any device using the K1?

Yep the new nVidia Shield Tablet and also the upcoming HTC Nexus 9 tablet. But as of right now only the nVidia Shield Tablet.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:40pm On Sep 19, 2014
Here are some graphics benchmarks

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 8:41pm On Sep 19, 2014
Herrmes: Hey, that's not fair grin you have to apologize to me too, you started it after all tongue grin grin

I apologize.

Actually you started it though with writing I didn't know what I was saying.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
It doesn't matter who started it, what matters is that both of you ended it like gentlemen cheesy

1 Like

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 8:53pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yep the new nVidia Shield Tablet and also the upcoming HTC Nexus 9 tablet. But as of right now only the nVidia Shield Tablet.

Is the K1 tablet only?
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 8:58pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

Is the K1 tablet only?

Very good question it certainly seems that way. I'm not too sure if it would be able to fit in a smartphone as I'm unsure of the dimensions of the K1.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 9:10pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198:

Very good question it certainly seems that way. I'm not too sure if it would be able to fit in a smartphone as I'm unsure of the dimensions of the K1.

I remember the news for the introduction of the K1, it sounded exciting. It would be disappointing for it to not see widespread adoption.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 9:11pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

I remember the news for the introduction of the K1, it sounded exciting. It would be disappointing for it to not see widespread adoption.

Thus far, it's on one device the nVidia Shield tablet and it is expected to be on the incoming Nexus tablet. Though I wish it was far more widespread. As of right now though, high-end Android devices do have bettter GPUs than the latest iPhones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by LordReed(m): 10:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
Fulaman198:

Thus far, it's on one device the nVidia Shield tablet and it is expected to be on the incoming Nexus tablet. Though I wish it was far more widespread. As of right now though, high-end Android devices do have bettter GPUs than the latest iPhones.

But somehow iPhones get the drop on Android when it comes to quality games and apps.
Re: Iphone 6/6+ A8 Single Core Performance Smacks Snapdragon 801 Upside The Head by Fulaman198(m): 10:40pm On Sep 19, 2014
LordReed:

But somehow iPhones get the drop on Android when it comes to quality games and apps.

Android may have actually caught up in the gaming department. Gameloft develops titles for both mobile OS. However though, there are still more developers for iOS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transferring Sms From One Android Phone (tecno) To Another / ES File Explorer NEW UPDATE, Come With Sender And Other New Features! / Latest Discovery: Speed Up Airtel 2g Downloading Speed (screenshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.