Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

When Did Igbos Discontinue Ichi? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Did Igbos Discontinue Ichi? (789 Views)

When Did The gods Start Eating Cream Crackers? / Traditional Igbo Ichi Scarification / When Did U Become A Nairaland Addict. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Did Igbos Discontinue Ichi? by Mambofiend: 12:11am On Sep 21, 2014
On Wikipedia, Ichi is the practice of face scarfiication in Igbo culture. I'm under the impression that this practice no longer takes place due to westernized pressures in recent memory, but when did it end?
Re: When Did Igbos Discontinue Ichi? by Stillfire: 12:20am On Sep 21, 2014
I don't think it will take some westernized pressure to prevent me from using a blade to draw lines on my face though. grin tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichi_(scarification)

Ichi was facial ritual scarification worn by mainly men of the Igbo people of Nigeria. The scarification indicated that the wearer had passed through initial initiation into the highest society Nze na Ozo.,[2] thus marking the wearer as nobility. The scarification was found among men in the Awka-Nri areas and among a few women in the Awgwu and Nkanu areas. There are two styles; the Nri style worn in the Awka-Nri areas, and the Agbaja style worn in the Awgwu and Nkanu areas.[3] In the Nri style, the carved line ran from the center of the forehead down to the chin. A second line ran across the face, from the right cheek to the left. This was repeated to obtain a pattern meant to imitate the rays of the sun. In the Agbaja style, circles and semicircular patterns are added to the initial incisions to represent the moon. These scarifications were given to the representatives of the eze Nri; the mbùríchi.[4] The scarifications were Nris' way of honoring the sun that they worshipped and was a form of ritual purification.[5]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Killed This Woman / My White South African Friend Told Me Its Hard 2 Get Visa To Europe Like Other A / Oba Of Lagos, This Is Lagos Way Of Greeting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.