Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,914 members, 7,810,509 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK (5574 Views)

How To Stop Your Dog From Eating Poo / Am Importing A Husky Male Today Shout Out!!! / Shipping A Dog From USA To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 21, 2014
Hello
Well after 9months of searching for the perfect puppy and meeting all sorts of unscrupulous people, one has finally decided to import one myself. I am looking for someone who has experience in importing dogs from South Africa and or the UK. I am looking to bring in a Pedigree English mastiff and am in contact with a number of registered breeder with whom I am quite confident with. As one can understand, these animals are expensive at up to $1000 a puppy so doing my homework is of the utmost importance.

A short summary of what I am after
1) Airlines that provide unaccompanied live animal cargo to Nigeria.
2)Reputable companies in SA that are able to provide an all in one service with regards to boarding/kenneling, arranging all inoculations, sorting out passport and delivery to airport.

I have absolutely no interest in anybody trying to sell me some shitty looking "pedigree" on here and just need advice as to my questions. I also have no interest in alleged agents who will offer to assist me in procuring said animal for a fee. It would help if you have real world experience with these matters and possibly a few links here and there.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Akaraiwe(m): 2:21pm On Sep 21, 2014
Sir,

From my little experience and short history of shipping pets and livestock from South Africa, I think there are little or no Old English Mastiff breeders in South Africa.

However,we do source the breed from Eastern Europe. FYI,Besides the English Mastiff, Caucasians, Lhasa apsos and sometimes the Neopolitan mastiff , most dog breeds can be sourced from South Africa .

1 Like

Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 21, 2014
Thank's for that. And what are the costs involved with these Eastern European breeders? One would assume that they would be cheaper than actually sourcing the puppy from the UK.

BTW, There are serious Mastiff breeders in south Africa, it just depends on how long one is willing to wait and how much one would pay for the puppy.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Mettal: 2:48pm On Oct 03, 2014
Getting a pedigree OEM from south Africa? Try another breed brother. English mastiff for $1000? Ohh. Well am not trying to discourage your interest in that type of breed,that is my most coveted dog breed and have tried my possible best to get one but to no avail,my cited reasons are: No pedigree English mastiff from reputable kennel would go for less than $2000,though my Facebook friend offered me Bessie,a five month female English mastiff for $1300 on February,her pedigree was one i know very well,the dad is a baros bajnok stud,(mamastiff king kong,85cm 118kg)the mum was pannon mastiff anda,85cm,101kg,.The pedigree was excellent but the shipping fee deterred me from getting the puppy.serbia to Lagos($2200 to murtala muhammed airport). Then Just last month,i came across a four month male,the father is an JCH of Hungary and international champion, 85cm,123kg excellent male from korosdombi kennel in hungary, puppy weight was 55cm,40kg at just four months, this time i was given the dog for $2000 which i accepted, but shipping fee was another stumbling block,$3000 from Budapest to Nigeria, i asked the breeder to send me his account details and leave the shipping expenses solely on my head which he accepted,i verified every other intricate protocols regarding importation of dogs in Nigeria which am satisfied with their requirements including microchip.I called Lufthansa airways,they assured me my pet can travel unaccompanied in cargo, i think their cargo expenses would be around $275 or slightly more,in least every expenses would climb at around 80-100,000 for shipping and 40 inches giant crate for transiting the puppy,including other minor aspects like import permit etc. I told the man to give me his account details, all he said was "OK". The following day,i learned he sold the dog to one Ghanaian medical doctor, i think the man was on a two - way negotiation for the dog,me and the Ghanaian, due to mine would not be easy for him due to the fact he works with pet shipping companies and their agents that charges ludicrous amount of money,he choose the wealthy Ghanaian. Till am ready to splash around $6000 for OEM,i won't try to negotiate with a breeder again. That should be probably next year though. English mastiff for $2500 is relatively cheap, rock port mastiff ,Canada sells for $3100 while delfracasso ,Italy sells for 2500 euros,all the same,you'll use a pet shipping company around $2000 ,do the maths,its not a breed you'll go for if you're not a fat cow.

1 Like

Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by bebe2(f): 9:47pm On Oct 03, 2014
Pls ask these dogs if they want to go to Nigeria.

How will u feel if someone just come carry u go Rwanda grin

7 Likes

Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by oluomoadebayo: 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2014
I think I can help you out because I got all my dogs from Europe and I do help others also. You can contact me and I will help you.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by BOUNTYDOG(m): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2014
Akaraiwe:
Sir,

From my little experience and short history of shipping pets and livestock from South Africa, I think there are little or no Old English Mastiff breeders in South Africa.

However,we do source the breed from Eastern Europe. FYI,Besides the English Mastiff, Caucasians, Lhasa apsos and sometimes the Neopolitan mastiff , most dog breeds can be sourced from South Africa .

Seconded.
I had imported english mastiff from south africa,I must tell you,though he is very large,I still look and ask myself if he is truly a pedigree english mastiff from the acclaimed parents.

However that discouraged me from importing from south africa,now I do most of my imports from,Bulgaria,Egypt,Lebanon,Serbia and I am always pleased with what I get,though I pay almost X2 what I pay to get from south africa,I am okay with that notwithstanding as its my business in D long run.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2014
Thanks for the replys and information. Very much welcome
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 15, 2014
Akaraiwe:
Sir,

Erm.. I hate to surprise you but there are quite a few Mastiff breeders in South Africa. All it took was for me to do a cursory google search to come up with http://beowulfmastiffs.com amongst others.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 15, 2014
Mettal:
Getting a pedigree OEM from south Africa? Try another breed brother. English mastiff for $1000? Ohh. Well am not trying to discourage your interest in that type of breed,that is my most coveted dog breed and have tried my possible best to get one but to no avail,my cited reasons are: No pedigree English mastiff from reputable kennel would go for less than $2000,though my Facebook friend offered me Bessie,a five month female English mastiff for $1300 on February,her pedigree was one i know very well,the dad is a baros bajnok stud,(mamastiff king kong,85cm 118kg)the mum was pannon mastiff anda,85cm,101kg,.The pedigree was excellent but the shipping fee deterred me from getting the puppy.serbia to Lagos($2200 to murtala muhammed airport). Then Just last month,i came across a four month male,the father is an JCH of Hungary and international champion, 85cm,123kg excellent male from korosdombi kennel in hungary, puppy weight was 55cm,40kg at just four months, this time i was given the dog for $2000 which i accepted, but shipping fee was another stumbling block,$3000 from Budapest to Nigeria, i asked the breeder to send me his account details and leave the shipping expenses solely on my head which he accepted,i verified every other intricate protocols regarding importation of dogs in Nigeria which am satisfied with their requirements including microchip.I called Lufthansa airways,they assured me my pet can travel unaccompanied in cargo, i think their cargo expenses would be around $275 or slightly more,in least every expenses would climb at around 80-100,000 for shipping and 40 inches giant crate for transiting the puppy,including other minor aspects like import permit etc. I told the man to give me his account details, all he said was "OK". The following day,i learned he sold the dog to one Ghanaian medical doctor, i think the man was on a two - way negotiation for the dog,me and the Ghanaian, due to mine would not be easy for him due to the fact he works with pet shipping companies and their agents that charges ludicrous amount of money,he choose the wealthy Ghanaian. Till am ready to splash around $6000 for OEM,i won't try to negotiate with a breeder again. That should be probably next year though. English mastiff for $2500 is relatively cheap, rock port mastiff ,Canada sells for $3100 while delfracasso ,Italy sells for 2500 euros,all the same,you'll use a pet shipping company around $2000 ,do the maths,its not a breed you'll go for if you're not a fat cow.

Bretha, you definitely know what you are talking about. I have decided to wait on the English mastiff for a bit whilst I get a Boerbel ;-). Now thats easier said than done as they are everywhere a pound a dozen and some man dem just wanna charge stupid money. Would like to know how far your search has gone.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Mettal: 9:55am On Oct 15, 2014
Rommello:

Erm.. I hate to surprise you but there are quite a few Mastiff breeders in South Africa. All it took was for me to do a cursory google search to come up with http://beowulfmastiffs.com amongst others.
I think i,ve spoken with beowulfs mastiff before,she's from New york state,not S.A.
Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Mettal: 9:56am On Oct 15, 2014

Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by Mettal: 10:03am On Oct 15, 2014
Rommello:

Bretha, you definitely know what you are talking about. I have decided to wait on the English mastiff for a bit whilst I get a Boerbel ;-). Now thats easier said than done as they are everywhere a pound a dozen and some man dem just wanna charge stupid money. Would like to know how far your search has gone.
I,stopped searching for English Mastiffs,its time to take action,i,ve written down some few champion studs to take a puppy from,i plan to get a male to circumvent from whelping risks associated with mastiffs females because the puppies head are very large (always c-section issues)male for shows. That 'll be in the not distant future by Jehovah's grace.

1 Like

Re: Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK by ElectricApple: 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2016
Mettal:
I,stopped searching for English Mastiffs,its time to take action,i,ve written down some few champion studs to take a puppy from,i plan to get a male to circumvent from whelping risks associated with mastiffs females because the puppies head are very large (always c-section issues)male for shows. That 'll be in the not distant future by Jehovah's grace.

Hi there, I just wanted to find out if you managed to import a dog from South Africa. I am thinking of doing the same and would appreciate some information on your experience.

(1) (Reply)

Bull Mastiff Caucasian Mix Puppies / Just Got A Caucasian Shepherd Dog. I Need Tips. / Solid 3 Months Old Black & Tan Female German Shepherd Puppy For Sale!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.