Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator (1911 Views)

How To Enable System Restore If Disabled By Group Policy Or System Administrator / Job Opening: Network/system Administrator / System Administrator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 4:47am On Sep 22, 2014
I am an upcoming linux sysadmin; with ability to do virtually everything on a desktop linux box (Ubuntu) ranging from desktop management to users accounts configuration and files permission management. I can rearrange disk partitions, permanently or temporarily mount and unmount filesystems and writes scripts using bash for simple automation.

I want sysadmins on NL to please link me up with any tech outfit or organization where I can work as volunteer while simultaneously learning new linux tech, especially those that has to do with server management and configuration. I have read tons of books on configuration of linux servers but realities out there; I mean in the real world cannot be equated to home self-study.

This is the only thing I want to do for the rest of my life career-wise. And I want to go as far as becoming a kernel developer within the Linux Foundation community withing the next couple of years. But i have to start somewhere.

I must emphasize that I am not really looking for job per se but a way to paylessly work whilst learning and developing myself as a Linux sysadmin. Members plz help with any useful info you have.

Thnks

1 Like

Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
God! This forum is becomin a joke. Intelligent and professionals are disapearing from NL very swiftly. 36 views just lookin and working away! where are unix experts on NL or did I post in a wrong section?

Mod could you plz help move this fp. I need this plz
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by bb6xt(m): 9:01am On Sep 23, 2014
Production servers are a rather sensitive thing to allow just anyone to manage and this has nothing to do with your skill or lack of it. In most IT shops even the developers are rarely given complete access. As for configuring desktop environments for end users it is mostly Windows at the moment.

Do not be discouraged though as there's always someone willing to take some free labor. I wish you luck in finding a suitable opening.
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 9:52am On Sep 23, 2014
bb6xt: Production servers are a rather sensitive thing to allow just anyone to manage and this has nothing to do with your skill or lack of it. In most IT shops even the developers are rarely given complete access. As for configuring desktop environments for end users it is mostly Windows at the moment.

Do not be discouraged though as there's always someone willing to take some free labor. I wish you luck in finding a suitable opening.

Thnk you bro. I understand it is not a fast break-in. Just getting around such enviroment will be a plus. Tnks.

1 Like

Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Mellorix: 3:44pm On Sep 23, 2014
Barywhyte:
Thnk you bro. I understand it is not a fast break-in. Just getting around such enviroment will be a plus. Tnks.

Can you write a linux tutorial document with screen shots? let me know.
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 5:23pm On Sep 23, 2014
Mellorix:

Can you write a linux tutorial document with screen shots? let me know.

lol as a matter of fact, I was writing one for udemy.com as Linux instructor, until my sound card had issue. Yes I can do it sir
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Mellorix: 6:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
Barywhyte:

lol as a matter of fact, I was writing one for udemy.com as Linux instructor, until my sound card had issue. Yes I can do it sir

Udemy provides video training , are you creating a video tutorial?
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 7:37pm On Sep 23, 2014
Mellorix:

Udemy provides video training , are you creating a video tutorial?

It was screencast with voice and yes its video. i can do it sir but for now it may come without voice
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Mellorix: 8:42am On Sep 24, 2014
Barywhyte:

It was screencast with voice and yes its video. i can do it sir but for now it may come without voice

Ok great - Can i see a sample of your work?

Also if you would like to voluntarily work with me on a new free IT support forum. You could be assigned a thread for "Linux support" as a moderator, were you would answer related linux issues if/when asked. let me know if you are interested. the forum is wwww.computerhant.com
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 9:11am On Sep 24, 2014
Mellorix:

Ok great - Can i see a sample of your work?

Also if you would like to voluntarily work with me on a new free IT support forum. You could be assigned a thread for "Linux support" as a moderator, were you would answer related linux issues if/when asked. let me know if you are interested. the forum is wwww.computerhant.com

Alright sir. Tho I wanted to work free as linux desktop manager in a server production enterprise so I could learn further stuff about linux on the server level. but thats ok sir I will send you some clips. would u put your contact here sir?
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by bigrovar(m): 8:00am On Sep 30, 2014
Where do u reside?
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 10:02am On Sep 30, 2014
bigrovar: Where do u reside?

In Ibadan and Lagos. I often shuffle btw these two cities.
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 3:05pm On Oct 01, 2014
@bigrovar. Anything for me sir?
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2014
bigrovar:
Where do u reside?

@bigrovar Sir i thought there was reason u asked for where i reside. I hav not heard a thing fr you. u didnt reply my mail too. I appreciate response even if itis not favorable
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by wirelessfalcon(m): 2:45am On Aug 01, 2015
Hi, i like your enthusiasm and impressed by your will to volunteer and then move up, many of us in the IT world did this in the days back.
However i may have something for your , especially trying UBUNTU out for a stack of 3 to 4 servers and may like to have a good protegee. it wont be for free of-course you will definitely have stipends so get in touch. Let me know if your interested.
Do you have any backgrounds in CENTos or Redhat Linux?
Re: A Place To Work As A Volunteer Linux System Administrator by Barywhyte(m): 2:19am On Aug 24, 2015
wirelessfalcon:
Hi, i like your enthusiasm and impressed by your will to volunteer and then move up, many of us in the IT world did this in the days back.
However i may have something for your , especially trying UBUNTU out for a stack of 3 to 4 servers and may like to have a good protegee. it wont be for free of-course you will definitely have stipends so get in touch. Let me know if your interested.
Do you have any backgrounds in CENTos or Redhat Linux?

Thnks wirelessfalcon. Yes am very interested. I am preparing for Redhat sysadmin using centos. Am stuck though with this hardware virtualization enabled machine requirement for the exam. But like u can see, I cannot be stopped or discouraged. How do I contact you sir?

(1) (Reply)

Dell E6410 Core I5, 4gb Ram, 320 Hdd For Urgent Sale / Allienware Laptop For Sale 16gb Ram,500gb Hdd,2gb Graphics / Dell Latitude 10 St2 Business Tablet With Bluetooth Keyboard (photos) for 65k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.