Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,799 members, 7,827,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Top 10 Dying Businesses/jobs In Nigeria. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top 10 Dying Businesses/jobs In Nigeria. (1209 Views)

Loan Sharks 20% Interest Kills Local Businesses & Jobs / The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa / 20 Businesses/jobs That Can Be Done With Just Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Dying Businesses/jobs In Nigeria. by bushjeph: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
Most businesses/jobs die-off because of its lack of purpose or sustainability for the practitioners. Also, technology can affect how a business turns out whilst it can help or destroy a particular business. I hope this list is comprehensive enough. Add up your own business/job if you have any doubt.

1. Cyber Cafe:
I spoke about technology. Yes, Cyber Cafe businesses once boomed when people could not afford PCs and connections. Today, the reverse is the case. Nobody goes to the cyber except to do high-data activities.

2. Newspaper Publishing:
I was listening to a programme on radio when a veteran journalist mentioned how newspaper publishing has become a bad business. He mentioned social media as the basic cause of this decline. So journalist must optimise the internet as a new media for information dissemination.

3. Phone repairs/maintenance:
Who repairs phone anymore? I believe phones are been built to withstand damages these days and making of water-proof phones makes it even more difficult for hardware faults to develop. Also, the users of these phones are becoming more adept in software use so requires no help from anybody. A self-employed phone doctor can count his clients per day on his fingers. The business is in decline day-by-day!

4. Agriculture/Fisheries
This is where confusion sets in. This business is in decline not because it is a bad business but because the investors are afraid to venture here. The technologies that destroyed most of the businesses/jobs on this list can actually help improve agriculture. Government are encouraging more people to go into agriculture. I hope in future, we can remove agriculture from this list.

5. Traditional Retailing:
Online buying and selling via sites like ebay, Jumia, OLX etc are the trends now. A product bought online will be delivered to your address promptly. Soon, traditional retailing will become completely obsolete except they innovate their existence.

6. Authoring:
Only few people can beat their chest and say they are doing well as authors. Writing is a bad business in Africa. Most authors do a lot of other businesses like consulting, public speaking to enhance income.

7. Woodwork/Carpentry
The future is metal-works! If you have not noticed, campaigns are going on for the reservation of wildlife/forestry. Artisans are encouraged to build more with metals rather than woods. So, what will the carpenters do? Yes, update their skills to metal works. Also, most families prefer metal upholstery for their simplicity and beauty!

8. Artwork/Painting:
Recently, I had a conversation with a painter why their business is not doing so well in Nigeria. He told me truly that few people appreciate artworks in Africa. He went further to elucidate that art works are better appreciated and valued centuries later when the creator is long gone. Most Nigerians don't go into this business because of time you will wait to get a ROI - Return On Investment!

9. Teaching:
I hate to add this one up here because most people I know are teachers but the truth is that TEACHERS are the most marginalised group in Nigerian workforce! The normal remuneration of teachers is pitiful and abysmally ridiculous! More so, they are constantly been owed by their employees. Yet, they are expected to guide the well-being of our future as a nation. How can we hope for a better future when the caretakers are maltreated? Earlier, we saw a decline in number of men in teaching profession. REASON: no man can sustain a family on peanuts! Now, the female folks may not take it any longer. A man once joked, "pay the senators what you pay the teachers, and the teachers what you pay the senators then the national assembly will become empty and the classroom filled!"

10. Acting: One word here: NOLLYWOOD!

misterjosephokorie@gmail.com
2979D9BE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Dying Businesses/jobs In Nigeria. by BigBossMan(m): 8:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
Cyber cafe is truly and really dead. Carpentry is only dying in the hands of those that refused to embrace technology.
Authoring is quite challenging but cannot die.
And so on!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Palm Oil Production Line supplier / Let's Mine Together / Is Cyber Café Business Still Profitable? If Yes How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.