Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! (1737 Views)

Exposed! How You Can Write Articles Online And Get Paid Over $50 Per Article / Can You Write A Good Story That Touches The Heart? You Can Write For Us... / 5 Things You Must Know Before You Can Write (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by Africain: 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2008
Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write!

What to say and how to say it is a skill very few of us possess. You find, time and again, that you know what to say and how to say it but are not provided the platform upon which to stand and say what’s on your mind. Are you out there with such a skill as to write with brevity and clarity what your mind can well picture? Would you join a small dynamic team of creative writers, reporters, correspondents, photo journalists, expert reviewers, sports analysts, though you are one yourself or not one yet, and change our falling society with your remarkable writing skill? Can you really write? Then write in now!

Areas of Interest

1. True Nigerian Stories: tell your true life stories of encounters, struggles, challenges, failures and victories in life with a view to encouraging somebody somewhere about to go through similar experiences. Include as much details as the story would require, but please leave out descriptions that will only arouse amorous feeling in your reader. Use the short story format.

2. Sports Analysis: Pick any interesting and current issues in any area of such sports as: Soccer, athletics, basketball, handball, boxing or others, and write an article, a commentary or a highlight of a player’s skill or a recent game, analyze those areas that will interest your reader and, perhaps, keep him reading your article even two weeks later.

3. Business World: are you an economist, an accountant, or a financial analyst? Can you put your skills into writing, explaining technical issues to non-technical readers with such simplicity as to allow your reader no room to miss your drift? What issues would an investor need you, a professional, to throw light on? The stock market, the capital market, the oil and gas sector, the forgotten but now remembered sector of agriculture, such issues as will move our nation forward and play a positive role in the 7-point agenda of Mr. President. Write in.

4. The Arts/Nigerian Movie Review: have you got brilliant short stories you would like published in a weekly journal? Is it of your opinion that you have written it well, and edited it well? Send us a copy.
Have you got the skill to review a movie? Pick up one of the latest Nigerian Movies in your neighbuorhood, review it and send us your review. Our Arts/Crafts Section will feature interviews with renowned Nigerian painters, sculptors, dynamic and award winning Nigerian actors and actresses, literary scholars, and others working in the arts.
Book Reviews and Research Notes will from edition to edition garnish this section. Other sections in the journal will feature Gender Inequality Issues, Youth Empowerment, job notices, market statistics, health issues, jokes and drama.

Conditions

Whether or not you are a university graduate is not our prerequisite, and being one does not necessarily determine how well you can represent your ideas in writing. While a university degree in English, Literature, Mass Communication or any similar fields will give you the necessary skill to try your hands on writing; our only prerequisite is that you know what to say and how to say it.
All entries will be well reviewed, edited, some researched, and if nothing is found to be lacking in your write-up, we will accept and publish it.

Just let us have a look!

Send all manuscripts or write-ups by email to newtimesnigeria@gmail.com .Your write-up must be: (1) Well written and well edited, (free from grammatical and typographical errors); (2) Must not exceed 2000 words (for True Nigerian Stories), and ranging from 500 to 1500 words for all other articles or analysis; (3) Must be sent as a Word Attachment using Times New Roman font, Text point 14 and; (4) Must not contain explicit sexual descriptions and offensive language. Include your short biography stating your name, email, phone number, complete address, current occupation, and an undertaking that your write-up is your original creation. Names will be withheld upon request.

Please Note: If you would like your write-up considered and published in our First Edition showing up on the 24th of November, 2008, your write-up must reach us on or before Monday 17th, November, 2008. If your article or write-up is published, we will send you information about your status in the Journal Team and other types of rewards (both financial and cumulative) as shall be determined by the Editorial Team.

Our journal, (name withheld for now) has its motto as: True then, true now! It is to be published monthly from Abuja and distributed nationwide within Nigeria, and hopefully, reaching other African countries later next year.

Editor in Chief
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by Africain: 11:16am On Nov 15, 2008
Important Update: For those who are asking that the First Edition Entry Deadline be extended, the deadline has therefore been extended to Friday 28 November, 2008 to allow you complete your articles. Please note that this date shall not be extended further than this for the First Edition. Meanwhile, if you can't meet up with the First Edition Deadline, you can still make your contribution for other editions coming out after the First Edition.

For those who sent in their entries, keep up the writing!  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Editor
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by baloolaspo(m): 2:53pm On Nov 27, 2008
refers to your subject above that is very good. am also a writer inwhich i develop mysely with when i was in school under the club call ASPIRE, Africa student partnership for impact and relevence called ASPIRE, I engage my in this area, motivational words such as how to acomplish aim, goals , plan, time managemet etc good ady baloonian777@yahoo.com
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by Africain: 11:33am On Nov 29, 2008
baloolaspo:

refers to your subject above that is very good. am also a writer inwhich i develop mysely with when i was in school under the club call ASPIRE, Africa student partnership for impact and relevence called ASPIRE, I engage my in this area, motivational words such as how to acomplish aim, goals , plan, time managemet etc good ady baloonian777@yahoo.com

Dear, you can send us your latest article on motivation. But before you send, please try and properly edit your article, as we have specified in our post above, and then send us a copy! Thank you.

Meanwhile, this is to bring to your notice that the deadline for accepting articles and other contributions for publication in our First Edition of the journal, is now officially over. Any entries you send from this point on will be considered for our future editions.

For those who sent in their entries, your articles, short stories, farce, poems, jokes, sports analysis, business insights, stockmarket focus, etc, are wonderful! Keep up the writing!

We also want to express our profound gratitude to Seun Osewa (Nairaland President) for giving us space in his world! May God continue to inspire you many more years ahead! Happy New Year in Advance, Seun!!! Thank you

Editor
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by GERMANE1(m): 8:57pm On Dec 02, 2008
I AM INTERESTED. YOU WILL SOON GET MY ARTICLES: POLITICS, UNIONISM(SCHOOL), SOCIAL REFORMATION AND CRITIQUE ARE SOME OF THE TOPICS I LIKE WRITING ON. I AM PRESENTLY A CORP MEMBER.
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by Africain: 4:20pm On Dec 03, 2008
GERMANE1:

I AM INTERESTED. YOU WILL SOON GET MY ARTICLES: POLITICS, UNIONISM(SCHOOL), SOCIAL REFORMATION AND CRITIQUE ARE SOME OF THE TOPICS I LIKE WRITING ON. I AM PRESENTLY A CORP MEMBER.

Good!
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by gbuo(m): 11:06am On Jan 20, 2009
Searching for writers I must say is not the easiest thing. Everyone who can write his name claims to be a writer. Selecting from a heap of materials from all sorts of people can be very boring.
From my limited experience in Publishing world, it is an engaging enterprise where talent passion for hardwork and indeed resources human and capital play decisive roles.

If by now your maiden edition is out, I will like to see it and make my own input to be suited to your style,

Have a succesful experience.
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by nedujizzy(m): 1:58pm On Jan 21, 2009
@ Africain
its so unfortunate that i wasnt able to see this thread before now. There is this piece that i wrote during my NYSC days in 2006,i will forward it to the email address you gave and am hoping to hear from you guys very soon on your opinion on the write up.
Re: Breaking News: For Those Who Can Write! by baba100(m): 2:14pm On Jan 28, 2009
Good day, i just want to know if your first edition is out, then i can start considering writing for your magazine

thanks

bab100

(1) (Reply)

My Name Is Foxy And I Am Not A Law Breaker (A Story) / AGAINST ALL ODDS By Akpem Terese Shadrach. / A Valentine Story Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.