Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

I Have Some Learning To Do - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Have Some Learning To Do (1594 Views)

My Funny Experience Learning How To Drive In Lagos / Hilarious Car Learning Experience / What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Some Learning To Do by Nobody: 5:31am On Sep 23, 2014
I had no idea this exists angry

1 Like

Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 23, 2014
hehe smiley
Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 23, 2014
@ picture, that's a VW VR6 block. There's also a VR5.
Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 23, 2014
I hang my automotive head in shame.

Is this a VW only thing?
Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 23, 2014
CityNG: I hang my automotive head in shame.

Is this a VW only thing?

Yes, it is for now.
Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by Hardheolar(m): 11:10am On Sep 23, 2014
VR6 engine
Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by oblo(m): 2:02pm On Sep 23, 2014
CityNG: I had no idea this exists angry

Same here...was always wondering why. it was called VR6

1 Like

Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by adanny01(m): 9:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
A friend of mine had a VW Golf mk4 which had a 5cylinder engine. That VR5 thingy rings a bell but i never imagined the block would look like the pic above.
Re: I Have Some Learning To Do by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 23, 2014
oblo:

Same here...was always wondering why. it was called VR6

It's more of an inline 6 than a V6. In German, "Reihenmotor", which means inline. So V Reihenmotor 5/6.

This was first produced in 1989, and was fitted to the flagship Volkswagen Passat B3, Passat VR6. Not to be confused with Audi's traditional V6, the VR6 is more compact, a tight 15 degree motor, not quite inline, neither quite V.

Think of it as a staggered inline 6. Due to the staggered piston arrangement, it is shorter than a regular inline 6, and narrower than a traditional V6. It was designed for transverse installation.

I owned a 1991 Volkswagen Corrado 2.9 VR6, and it's a silky smooth engine. The pistons furthest from the water pump can run hot though, and due to the staggered arrangement, the bores can wear, and become oval. Which is the state I bought my Corrado in - the engine was stripped, and in the trunk when I bought her, and I ended up replacing the short block, reusing the original cylinder head (yes, it's a common cylinder head for both banks of cylinders).

The same set-up is used in the smaller 2.3 VR5, and in the bigger 3.2 motor fitted to the Volkswagen Golf MK4 / 5 R32, Touareg, Porsche Cayenne 3.2 as well as the Audi A3 3.2 Quattro, though the "R" has been dropped, now they are simply 3.2 V6 and 3.6 V6 FSI (in the Volkswagen Passat B6 R36 and Touareg 3.6 FSI.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Toyota 4 Runner Vs Nissan Xterra All 1999 Model / Top 10 Future Car Features / Is There A Permanent Solution To This Shock Absorber Linkage Problems?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.