Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,273 members, 7,829,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) (2054 Views)

5 Types Of Lagos Women You Should Never Mess With (PHOTOS) / Thought Provoking Pictures. / Thought Provoking Quotes. Does this apply to you??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) by Giftedgreen: 6:13am On Sep 23, 2014
1. When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool.

2. One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.

3. People say that if you find water rising up to your ankle, that's the time to do something about it, not when it's around your neck.

4. “We cannot trample upon the humanity of others without devaluing our own. The Igbo, always practical, put it concretely in their proverb Onye ji onye n'ani ji onwe ya: "He who will hold another down in the mud must stay in the mud to keep him down.”

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/09/22/25-thought-provoking-quotes-from-chinua-achebe/

Re: 25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) by Giftedgreen: 6:15am On Sep 23, 2014
7. “Writers don't give prescriptions. They give headaches!”

6. My son even if you want to fall, at least fall where your bones can be gathered

7. “If you don't like someone's story, write your own.”

8. “It is praiseworthy to be brave and fearless, but sometimes it is better to be a coward. We often stand in the compound of a coward to point at the ruins where a brave man used to live.”

Re: 25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) by Giftedgreen: 6:24am On Sep 23, 2014
9. “A boy sent by his father to steal does not go stealthily but breaks the door with his feet.”

10. “A man of worth never gets up to unsay what he said yesterday.”

11. “What a man does not know is greater than he.”

12. “In dealing with a man who thinks you are a fool, it is good sometimes to remind him that you know what he knows but have chosen to appear foolish for the sake of peace.”

13. “When we hear a house has fallen do we ask if the ceiling fell with it?”

14. “He is a fool who treats his brother worse than a stranger.”

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/09/22/25-thought-provoking-quotes-from-chinua-achebe/

Re: 25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) by Giftedgreen: 6:28am On Sep 23, 2014
15. “The language of young men is pull down and destroy; but an old man speaks of conciliation.

16. A man who makes trouble for others is also making trouble for himself.

17. “When brothers fight to death a stranger inherits their father’s estate.”

18. The only thing we have learnt from experience is that we learn nothing from experience.

Re: 25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) by Giftedgreen: 6:32am On Sep 23, 2014
19. The damage done in one year can sometimes take ten or twenty years to repair.

20. “Nobody can teach me who I am. You can describe parts of me, but who I am - and what I need - is something I have to find out myself.”

21. “No man however great is greater than his people”

22. “Every lizard lies on its belly, so we cannot tell which has a belly-ache”

23. An artist, in my understanding of the word, should side with the people against the Emperor that oppresses his or her people.

24. There's no lack of writers writing novels in America, about America. Therefore, it seems to me it would be wasteful for me to add to that huge number of people writing here when there are so few people writing about somewhere else.

25. The last four or five hundred years of European contact with Africa produced a body of literature that presented Africa in a very bad light and Africans in very lurid terms. The reason for this had to do with the need to justify the slave trade and slavery.

Re: 25 Thought Provoking Quotes From Chinua Achebe (with Photos) by mercurie(f): 7:04am On Sep 23, 2014
Nice work

(1) (Reply)

At What Age Did You Start Closing The Bathroom Door..how Did U Knw It Was Time / She Leads Africa Is Hiring! / Nigerian Blogger, Linda Ikeji Exposes Her Chocolate Booobs In Revealing Outfit (

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.