Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? (2009 Views)

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Evangelist Eucharia Anunobi Says Christianity Not A Religion / Why Christianity Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 23, 2014
Religion is a varied symbolic expression of, and appropriate response to what people DELIBERATELY affirm as being of unrestricted value to them.

Features:

(1) Myth/history:- for a concept to be termed religious, there must have been a myth or history attached to it.

(2)Ritual/Practices: prayer, ablution etc.

(3)Ethical/moral dimension

(4)Social dimension: A religion can't be practiced in isolation. In other words, there can't be a personal religion.

(5)experiential/emotional dimention:- e.g singing to bring down the holy spirit or dancing into ecstasy.

(6)Each religion has its own doctrines.

(7)Symbols and Images; christians have the cross while muslims are known with the cresent and star.

So why would you say christianity is not a religion?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
Nobody said so
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
Christianity is Not a religion. Religion is man's search and quest for God, Man's 'efforts' to appear right before God. Christianity on the other hand is God's search for mankind. Yes, God actually came down in flesh to draw men to him, to save humanity. Christ died for us and cleared ALL of our sins, the ones we've committed and the ones we are yet to commit. Jesus was made sin on the cross, and now we are made righteous before God, not by our actions, but by Christ's death on the cross.
You talk about rituals, practices, blah, etc, but that does not define what Christianity is about. It's not about what we DO, not our EFFORTS, but by HIS grace that has saved us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Tallesty1(m): 4:40pm On Sep 23, 2014
Akdegreat: Nobody said so
I said so
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: Christianity is Not a religion. Religion is man's search and quest for God, [b]Man's 'efforts' to appear right before God[b]. Christianity on the other hand is God's search for mankind. Yes, God actually came down in flesh to draw men to him, to save humanity. Christ died for us and cleared ALL of our sins, the ones we've committed and the ones we are yet to commit. Jesus was made sin on the cross, and now we are made righteous before God, not by our actions, but by Christ's death on the cross.
You talk about rituals, practices, blah, etc, but that does not define what Christianity is about. It's not about what we DO, not our EFFORTS, but by HIS grace that has saved us.

I totally disagree. Like I said, it is a symboic expression and response to whatever you affirm as the supreme-being. Religion is neither a search nor a quest for God
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 23, 2014
Tallesty1: I said so

Wow thats nice congrats!! grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 4:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
On the contrary, it is.
So, what do religious or rather, people involved in religion do? Is it to just create symbols and doctrines? What is the basis of religion? It is to seek God, or who they ascribe as the supreme being.
kolawaxxy:

I totally disagree. Like a said, it is a symboic expression and response to whatever you affirm as the supreme-being. Religion is neither a search nor a quest for God
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by thorpido(m): 4:59pm On Sep 23, 2014
Christianity is not a religion.Those who understand it know it is not,those who don't think it is.
No prophet ever said,'I give eternal life'.Jesus brought 'something'no prophet had.

Mstik's words further buttress the point.

2 Likes

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: On the contrary, it is.
So, what do religious or rather, people involved in religion do? Is it to just create symbols and doctrines?

they adhere to doctrines

What is the basis of religion? It is to seek God, or who they ascribe as the supreme being.

I would answer this in reference to Sigmund Freud's oedipus complex; religion was invented to saitsfy man's need for forgiveness and comfort.

2 Likes

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: Christianity is Not a religion. Religion is man's search and quest for God, Man's 'efforts' to appear right before God. Christianity on the other hand is God's search for mankind. Yes, God actually came down in flesh to draw men to him, to save humanity. Christ died for us and cleared ALL of our sins, the ones we've committed and the ones we are yet to commit. Jesus was made sin on the cross, and now we are made righteous before God, not by our actions, but by Christ's death on the cross.
All u said is just academic argument. I am a christian. Christianity is a religion. Because d decision to accept Jesus christ as our lord and savior is an active individual decision. That is y every believer is referred to in d bible as brother and sister. Which means as christian you are in a fraternity led by christ. You are separated from d world. You belong to a group. thus makes christianity a religion. What do u want to achieve by saying christianity is not a religion. What does it change apart from self serving gradiosity of superiority complex which is not of God but mere rhetorics. All you said only makes christianity a unique religion. it doesn't remove d fact that it is. The concept of christianity is not a religion is spread by d devil. it is one of d ways ignorant and or dishonest pastors use to justify thier ungodly behaviour. Since by claiming is not a religiom, u are free to do what you like and think.
As a christian our prayers is only answered when we pray in d name of Jesus Christ or through Jesus Christ our lord. Thus christianity has principles which are of God. Though christ died for the whole world out of God personal decision to safe mankind, what u referred to as God seeking man, yet man cannot partake in d glory and benefit of death of Jesus christ on d cross until a man confess with his mouth and believe in his heart the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

3 Likes

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:03pm On Sep 23, 2014
That's among the reasons why Christianity is not a religion.
You speak from an atheist's point of view
You don't even believe in God in the first place
kolawaxxy:

they adhere to doctrines

I would answer this in reference to Sigmund Freud's oedipus complex; religion was invented to saitsfy man's need for forgiveness and comfort.
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: That's among the reasons why Christianity is not a religion.
You speak from an atheist's point of view
You don't even believe in God in the first place

though I sound like one, I'm not an atheist. Try to see religion from the psychological angle

2 Likes

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by thorpido(m): 5:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
atbu1983: All u said is just academic argument. I am a christian. Christianity is a religion. Because d decision to accept Jesus christ as our lord and savior is an active individual decision. That is y every believer is referred to in d bible as brother and sister. Which means as christian you are in a fraternity led by christ. You are separated from d world. You belong to a group. thus makes christianity a religion. What do u want to achieve by saying christianity is not a religion. What does it change apart from self serving gradiosity of superiority complex which is not of God but mere rhetorics
Many go to church,yet do not understand what they believe.
The disciples of Jesus were with him but did not even understand his doctrines and what he stood for for the greater part of His earthly ministry until Jesus told them the Holy Spirit will make many things clearer after He departs.
It is not about a superiority complex,it is about the truth that it is.
Christianity is not a religion.
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2014
look at this critically
Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, etc are all religions
Can you compare them to Christianity?
All what you mentioned are true
And all these differentiate Christianity from religion
I can't group Christianity under religion
because Christianity preaches about grace, our righteousness with Christ and our redemption
religion is about rules, laws, regulations and punishment for breaking one of these laws
try and think outside the box, outside what you've been brought up with.
atbu1983: All u said is just academic argument. I am a christian. Christianity is a religion. Because d decision to accept Jesus christ as our lord and savior is an active individual decision. That is y every believer is referred to in d bible as brother and sister. Which means as christian you are in a fraternity led by christ. You are separated from d world. You belong to a group. thus makes christianity a religion. What do u want to achieve by saying christianity is not a religion. What does it change apart from self serving gradiosity of superiority complex which is not of God but mere rhetorics
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
If I do, that means I'm trying to explain why people believe in a God they cannot 'see'
That implies I'm trying to give reasons why people come up with the idea of a supreme being
This will culminate in long stories and several theories
But as a Christian, I believe in a God that is 'invisible'(according to non-christians) because of faith
kolawaxxy:

though I sound like one, I'm not an atheist. Try to see religion from the psychological angle
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: look at this critically
because Christianity preaches about grace, our righteousness with Christ and our redemption
religion is about rules, laws, regulations and punishment for breaking one of these laws
Go and read my post again. I hv not finished when u replied. The problem with many christian is dat once one popular charismatic pastor say something, they just take it in and swallow it without proper study of d scriptures. I know very well d basis for d assertion. But it is not from d Spirit of God. I know popular America pastor that started d assertion b4 some American wanna be nigeria pastors copied it and spread it. If u have d spirit of God in you, you will know that the statements originate from d devil and not God.

Christianity is not lawlessness. Christ came to fulfill d law. Thus christianity is d perfection of d law. Check d link below

www.dictionaryofchristianese.com/christianity-is-a-relationship-not-a-religion/

2 Likes

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: If I do, that means I'm trying to explain why people believe in a God they cannot 'see'
That implies I'm trying to give reasons why people come up with the idea of a supreme being
This will culminate in long stories and several theories
But as a Christian, I believe in a God that is 'invisible'(according to non-christians) because of faith

why are you afraid of stating the obvious? The realistic alone might be real you know...?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 23, 2014
atbu1983: All u said is just academic argument. I am a christian. Christianity is a religion. Because d decision to accept Jesus christ as our lord and savior is an active individual decision. That is y every believer is referred to in d bible as brother and sister. Which means as christian you are in a fraternity led by christ. You are separated from d world. You belong to a group. thus makes christianity a religion. What do u want to achieve by saying christianity is not a religion. What does it change apart from self serving gradiosity of superiority complex which is not of God but mere rhetorics. All you said only makes christianity a unique religion. it doesn't remove d fact that it is. The concept of christianity is not a religion is spread by d devil. it is one of d ways ignorant and or dishonest pastors use to justify thier ungodly behaviour. Since by claiming is not a religiom, u are free to do what you like and think.
As a christian our prayers is only answered when we pray in d name of Jesus Christ or through Jesus Christ our lord. Thus christianity has principles which are of God. Though christ died for the whole world out of God personal decision to safe mankind, what u referred to as God seeking man, yet man cannot partake in d glory and benefit of death of Jesus christ on d cross until a man confess with his mouth and believe in his heart the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

you are very correct
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 23, 2014
thorpido: Christianity is not a religion.Those who understand it know it is not,those who don't think it is.
No prophet ever said,'I give eternal life'.Jesus brought 'something'no prophet had.

Mstik's words further buttress the point.

So what is Christianity?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:37pm On Sep 23, 2014
Atheist much? lol
God is real, He's not just some made up entity
kolawaxxy:

why are you afraid of stating the obvious? The realistic alone might be real you know...?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: look at this critically

What do you know about Buddhism? If you know nothing, then you shouldn't attempt to compare.

There is a parable of Buddha, 'The Parable of the Poisoned Arrow' to be precise, that suggests that Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy or way of life.

Bulk of Jesus' teachings do not sound like religion but bulk of Christian teachings (especially the faith and eternal punishment aspects) makes it a religion.

1 Like

Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: Atheist much? lol
God is real, He's not just some made up entity

here we go again. Which of the Gods?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
The truth is Christianity is a Unique religion because of the relationship we have with christ. Is true christianity is different from other religion because Christianity is more than the law. But however we need to careful in being carried away with d relationship we have with christ and start taking d grace of God for granted with our quest to make christianity to conform to our weaknesses, lust and greed. The quest to make christianity totally accomodating and attractive makes America engelicals and pentecostal to spread dis grandiose statements that have no impact in our salvation. But rather makes us to 4get that christianity is race we need to run to d end.

When I was attending Believer's love word cell meetings in d university about 10years ago dis christianity is not a religion statement was very popular just because Pastor chris preached. people just picked hook line and sinker without digging d scriptures and allowing holy spirit yo guide them.
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:49pm On Sep 23, 2014
I didn't get this from any preacher as you think
And your problem is that you are too comfortable with what you've been brought up with, you can't accept any sort of distortions to your belief,
And that is a wrong attitude
New light has been revealed on this issue, but you don't accept it because it goes against everything you've been told
I know how you feel, you're thinking "how can she say Christianity is not a religion?" It sounds so absurd to you, so strange, like a doctrine from the pit of hell
But I implore you set aside everything that you your mind and heart believes, and think about this deeply.
atbu1983: Go and read my post again. I hv not finished when u replied. The problem with many christian is dat once one popular charismatic pastor say something, they just take it in and swallow it without proper study of d scriptures. I know very well d basis for d assertion. But it is not from d Spirit of God. I know popular America pastor that started d assertion b4 some American wanna be nigeria pastors copied it and spread it. If u have d spirit of God in you, you will know that the statements originate from d devil and not God.

Christianity is not lawlessness. Christ came to fulfill d law. Thus christianity is d perfection of d law. Check d link below

www.dictionaryofchristianese.com/christianity-is-a-relationship-not-a-religion/
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:50pm On Sep 23, 2014
The true God undecided
kolawaxxy:

here we go again. Which of the Gods?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 5:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
Alright, then. Thanks for the correction
hifaif:

What do you know about Buddhism? If you know nothing, then you shouldn't attempt to compare.

There is a parable of Buddha, 'The Parable of the Poisoned Arrow' to be precise, that suggests that Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy or way of life.

hifaif:
Bulk of Jesus' teachings do not sound like religion but bulk of Christian teachings (especially the faith and eternal punishment aspects) makes it a religion.
hifaif:
Can you explain your concept of religion?
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: I didn't get this from any preacher as you think
And your problem is that you are too comfortable with what you've been brought up with, you can't accept any sort of distortions to your belief,
And that is a wrong attitude
New light has been revealed on this issue, but you don't accept it because it goes against everything you've been told
I know how you feel, you're thinking "how can she say Christianity is not a religion?" It sounds so absurd to you, so strange, like a doctrine from the pit of hell
But I implore you set aside everything that you your mind and heart believes, and think about this deeply.
I have ignorantly accepted d statenent in d past. I even say it when preaching in d padt. I used to accept dis statement then as a student in Uniben and believers love world about 10 years ago. Because at that time I was going with d trend. There is no revelation or scriptural backing for dis statement. it is just a sweet statement people want to hear. it was my digging and study of d bible with guidance of d holy sprit that give me d awareness. Christianity is not a drug that get people high to say anything that is sweet. The fact that d statement is sweet doesn't not make it true. Let God and d bible be ur standard. not what is trending and sweet.
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Ograke(m): 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
As for those saying no:

Whether Christianity is man's search for God or it's God reaching out to man,for effective relationship and communication to be established between God and man,you'll have to observe the following rituals and practices;

-Prayer and singing:For you to make your mind known to God and hear from him.You get connected to Him and He ministers unto you.

-Meditation:You have to study the bible deeply and regularly to understand the nature of God,his likes and dislikes,His promises,expectations and ultimate plan for you.

These two practices are religious in nature and christians observe them.
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: The true God undecided

A religion, as well as God will always be true to its followers. I'm sure you know there are over 2,000 Gods; so, there are over over 2,000 true Gods
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 6:05pm On Sep 23, 2014
I really do not know what else to say
Or maybe I do, but I just think it'll be a waste of time to go say anything else
Because your mind and heart has been made up
By the way, where in the Bible was Christianity called a religion?
Religion was formed by man, it's not Biblical
So I wonder what exactly you were 'digging' for in the Bible?
atbu1983: I used to accept dis statement then as a student in Uniben and believers love world about 10 years ago. Because at that time I was going with d trend. There is no revelation or scriptural backing for dis statement. it is just a sweet statement people want to hear. it was my digging and study of d bible with guidance of d holy sprit that give me d awareness. Christianity is not a drug that get people high to say anything that is sweet. The fact that d statement is sweet doesn't not make it true. Let God and d bible be ur standard. not what is trending and sweet.
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by mstik(f): 6:09pm On Sep 23, 2014
Are you confused? Because you're sort of confusing me undecided
I thought I was Making an argument about Christianity not being a religion?
How did it derail to the existence or non-existence of God?
And you're not an atheist?
kolawaxxy:

A religion, as well as God will always be true to its followers. I'm sure you know there are over 2,000 Gods; so, there are over over 2,000 true Gods
Re: Who Says Christianity Is Not A Religion? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
mstik: I really do not know what else to say
Or maybe I do, but I just think it'll be a waste of time to go say anything else
Because your mind and heart has been made up
By the way, where in the Bible was Christianity called a religion?
Religion was formed by man, it's not Biblical
So I wonder what exactly you were 'digging' for in the Bible?

The statement promote what I call "christianese" rather than christianity.

it promote d fake gospel of once safe always safe. It promote d satanic mindset that God does not require of us to serve him. Rather it is God who should be serving us.

The statement promote fake preachers and false prophet. Read d book of timothy wit guidance of d holy spirit.

1corinthians 9: 27
I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it
should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

You can see apostle paul understand the fact that christianity is more than just a mere relationship with God thru Jesus Christ. it also involves subjecting ourselves to d will of God. So it is not about us. but about God.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PASTOR ORDERS FEMALE MEMBERS TO REMOVE UNDERWEAR SO GOD CAN ENTER THEIR BODIES / Rape, God And Religion. Is God Always Good? (pix) / Watch How To Easily Overcome Challenges In 2018 - Pastor Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.