Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,953 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Pride In Our Pains - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Pride In Our Pains (762 Views)

Turkish Police Forcefully Disperse Gay Pride Revelers In Istanbul / As Oil Takes Her Pride Of Place / Ghana: The Real Pride Of Black Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pride In Our Pains by EDIPO(m): 1:03pm On Nov 05, 2008
PRIDE IN OUR PAINS

I have seen and heard, like many of you had too, the tales of core discrimination against people because of the colour of their skin. I am aware that at one time, blacks could not gain entrance into pubs and bars, could not share swimming pools, worst of all, we had a voice that was not supposed to be heard.
This hatred transcended the face of the earth, even in what was predominantly a black region; we were traded like merchandise, transported in the most inhuman manner across the length and depth of the Atlantic to the white shores to work as slaves on sugarcane farms with the lips of out fore fathers held together with padlocks.
Then was that time when, men chose between their pride and existence, when men equated survival to equity, when nobility was measured by your stance to liberate your people, re-write your history and ensure your people were heard. It was that time that dreams were conceived, ideas were put forth, opinions designed, a time when resilience and perseverance was the watch word.
It was a battle that needed to not be won immediately, a selfless pursuit that was predicated on the principles of possibilities of victory as much as we have decided to fight. It was a battle powered by commitment, held with passion, pursued with undying spirit and as well met with ferocious attacks, maltreatment and wickedness by the threatened superior.
Lives were lost and properties destroyed all around, yet the blood that flowed in the black vein continuously fertilized the tree of freedom whose shade we hope to one day enjoy. Words of encouragement were our most vital weapons and our will to survive was our most trusted comrade in the face of betrayal from enemies within.
Our only options were what we were offered and nothing. Our choices were not only limited but pitifully few. We were reduced to victims of natural deeds and biological gifts. Despite all these, we grew a breed of gladiators, conscience fighters who believed, wished and hoped not only for a better today, but the best future for generations yet unborn. They waged battles to secure a future they would never be part of.
My black brothers and sisters, of whatever descent, the future is here. We have before today broken many grounds, displayed dexterity and ingenuity. We have shown love to those who hated us, fed those who starved us, freed those who imprisoned us, treated those who injured us and above all, accommodated those who rejected us. We truly have brought to life the future our forefathers hoped for. A tomorrow they so much believe and invested in. today we have stood tall in the face of all challenges. We have defied colour limitations and rewritten history.
It is truly a man’s victory; a victory we all know was predicated on belief, perseverance and will. A victory that was in the characteristic black style, dedicated to the people of the world, black or white, short or tall, old or young; a victory that seeks to break all barriers and bring man together to work as an entity to make the world a better place. A victory relished by all, irrespective of colour or background. A victory that would truly rewrite the history of the black race.
It all does not end with America and Americans, neither does it end with President-elect of the United States of America, Barrack Hussein Obama and his outstanding campaign team; that’s just a baseline. This is meant to fire us to move on and make the best of every odd. Let’s embrace with out heart, the true creed: YES WE CAN.
Yes we believed shall overcome, now we have and the process is continuous. Nothing big and good comes easy. It takes consistency, perseverance, persistent patience, will and belief to move on. Disregard the blocks and hitches, climb on them to grow taller, and don’t be carried away by the side attraction, its ephemeral. The ultimate destination is where you set to get to and when you are not there, you are just not there!
I congratulate my black brothers and sisters across the face of the planet, I congratulate our fellow white brothers and sisters as well, it is my belief that this singular landmark would reunite us as it has been demonstrated by the American voters who have seen and resolved to reach for solutions to the world problem that would never be submerged by the bitter taste of colour discrimination. I believe that we all can take a step from here to show love and kindness to our fellow beings irrespective of colour, religion, sex and economic status.
My pains are truly obvious, just as yours is, but today, I believe that we would all have reasons to pride our background and colour. That we would show love and teach others how to love and respect. That we would be humble in victory and responsible to the betterment of mankind. That above all, we would believe in the unity of humanity and that even when we fight, we would be friends at battle for at the end of the day, we would be seen to have jointly waged a war aimed at improving the lots of our fellow people.
If today, one of our own has conquered hatred, discrimination and ethnic bigotry and emerged as the President of the most powerful Nation in the world, if today, the feat had come to life because people chose to pay more attention to abilities, if today, the black and white blend of the piano keyboards has rendered another joyful melody, I URGE YOU ALL TO CELEBRATE OUR PRIDE DESPITE OUR PAINS.
Once again if we all choose to act and think right, heavens would dance around our achievements.
GOD BLESS THE WORLD.
ELEGBEDE, Muhammed Oladipupo.
e_dipo81@yahoo.com, dipo.elegbede@dudumobile.com
+2348077682428.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News!"barack Obama Letter Leaked To Press" / Anti-japan Protests Across China Over Islands Dispute / Man Attacks Muslim Worshippers With A Matchete In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.