Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,429 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

George Bush-(2000-2008) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / George Bush-(2000-2008) (2649 Views)

Poll: Your Opinion on George Bush

The Worst US President: 45% (11 votes)
DID A FEW GOOD THINGS: 20% (5 votes)
DONT BLAME BUSH ALONE,BLAME CONGRESS: 25% (6 votes)
ONE OF THE BEST!!: 8% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Amnesty Intl Urges African Countries To Arrest George Bush When He Visits Africa / Some Memorable Quotes Of George Bush / Should George Bush Also Face Trial? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

George Bush-(2000-2008) by SeanT21(f): 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2008
As Bush Years of ruling is comming to a close end, What Do You think of His era?

How will he be remembered?

Support Your decision with Some Explanations.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by SeanT21(f): 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2008
I think Bush will go down in history as one of the worst President.The only thing I admire about him was his connection with Liberia. President wise, He failed!!
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2008
He did his best, he was just unlucky to have presided over one of the toughest periods in US history.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by SeanT21(f): 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2008
When clinton left Office, US was in a Good state.

Bush messed it up!!
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2008
SeanT21:

I think Bush will go down in history as one of the worst President.The only thing I admire about him was his connection with Liberia. President wise, He failed!!

How? To be honest Africans have absolutely no rights to call President Bush a failure . . . Bush at his worst is 100x better than our best presidents.

If the Iraq war had gone to plan (no insurgency) and had been concluded immediately after Saddam's capture he would have gone down as America's best president.

Iraq is not Bush's fault, it is simply an implosion of an unstable entity forcefully created by the British long before Bush was born.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 6:06pm On Nov 05, 2008
SeanT21:

When clinton left Office, US was in a Good state.

Bush messed it up!!

He didnt. Clinton had the chance to take out Bin Laden, he failed . . . Bush inherited the problem.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by JustGood(m): 6:10pm On Nov 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

How? To be honest Africans have absolutely no rights to call President Bush a failure . . . Bush at his worst is 100x better than our best presidents.

If the Iraq war had gone to plan (no insurgency) and had been concluded immediately after Saddam's capture he would have gone down as America's best president.

Iraq is not Bush's fault, it is simply an implosion of an unstable entity forcefully created by the British long before Bush was born.

@David, the fact that we have idiotic leaders does not mean that we have to become dumb or unable to voice our opinions about other leaders.

Bush was a moronic idiot who caused a lot of problems for the whole world. oops - did I just call a president an idiot? lipsrsealed

Bush destroyed too many lives in Iraq with his stupidity - lives of hundreds of women and children. He has increased hatred and division all around the world
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 6:15pm On Nov 05, 2008
JustGood:

@David, the fact that we have idiotic leaders does not mean that we have to become dumb or unable to voice our opinions about other leaders.

It however means we shld be careful the way we "voice our opinion" about other leaders. We cannot freely "voice our opinion" about our leaders without fear of being hounded by the SSS then why do we feel a God-given right to "voice our opinion" about others?

JustGood:

Bush was a moronic idiot who caused a lot of problems for the whole world. oops - did I just call a president an idiot? lipsrsealed

Bush destroyed too many lives in Iraq with his stupidity - lives of hundreds of women and children. He has increased hatred and division all around the world

I repeat . . . it wasnt Bush's fault. The initial push into Iraq took extremely few lives and had the sunnis and shias not turned on themselves, Iraq would be a success story today.

He did not increase hatred all around the world, the middle east has simply used the Iraq crisis as an excuse to explain away their irrational hate.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by SeanT21(f): 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

He didnt. Clinton had the chance to take out Bin Laden, he failed . . . Bush inherited the problem.

Speak on the economy?

He bleeped IT UP BIG TIME!!
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by JustGood(m): 6:25pm On Nov 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

I repeat . . . it wasnt Bush's fault. The initial push into Iraq took extremely few lives and had the sunnis and shias not turned on themselves, Iraq would be a success story today.

He did not increase hatred all around the world, the middle east has simply used the Iraq crisis as an excuse to explain away their irrational hate.

It was the fault of Bush. The Iraqis had the kind of govt their culture and personalities deserved but Bush wanted to expand his empire and colony so he lied about various things and did what he wanted. He's an evil man
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by bawomolo(m): 6:29pm On Nov 05, 2008
I disagree, it was bush's fault for not putting enough troops on the ground after saddam was toppled. disbanding the iraqi army(unemployed angry men with knowledge of weaponry??) and de-baathification has backfired on the US. we should have focused on afghanistan rather than been bogged down in iraq.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 6:33pm On Nov 05, 2008
SeanT21:

Speak on the economy?

He bleeped IT UP BIG TIME!!

If you spend $10bn a month on a useless war in Iraq your economy is bound to tank at some point.

bawomolo:

I disagree, it was bush's fault for not putting enough troops on the ground after saddam was toppled. disbanding the iraqi army(unemployed angry men with knowledge of weaponry??) and de-baathification has backfired on the US. we should have focused on afghanistan rather than been bogged down in iraq.

Lets not put the entire blame on bush alone, he didnt create the unstable geographical fraud called Iraq.
I agree to your points i highlighted.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by Cayon(f): 6:40pm On Nov 05, 2008
when is George Bush last day again?
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by SeanT21(f): 6:44pm On Nov 05, 2008
Sometime in January.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by Gamine(f): 6:46pm On Nov 05, 2008
George Bush made some really bad decisions

i mean,

i just saw on the news that some US Army planes fired on a Wedding ceremony in Kadahar

The one day, they were shooting people in Pakistan.

Im happy Bush is going away atleast, a Democrat will end the war
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by Emad(f): 1:03pm On Nov 06, 2008
OK tell u guys the truth the world was entertaining with Bush , we always had news
Each time i came home i rushed to find out how many americans had died in iraq,
now Obama will pull them out and stop my sweet horror movie grin

I wonder what the world will be like POST BUSH

before Obama we talked of POST 9/11

now we say POST BUSH, because he is the worst thing that ever happened to us. cheesy

but i wonder , they said he is the dullest in his family, he ran down one of their companies, haba how could they push that kind
of celebrated looser to the White House, and just what did he tell people to convince them? these amercians too nah wah oh!!
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by MrCrackles(m): 1:05pm On Nov 06, 2008
Emad:

OK tell u guys the truth the world was entertaining with Bush , we always had news

it definitely was! cheesy
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by GoldCircle: 10:39am On Nov 07, 2008
I pity him anytime I see him now on the TV. If only he could get a 3rd term to right the many wrongs he has done! embarassed embarassed
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by Horus(m): 11:37am On Nov 07, 2008
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by NegroNtns(m): 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2008
Horus,

Who died? Why is the flag at half mast? grin
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by sexyLeamon(f): 4:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
the worst us president without a doubt
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by NegroNtns(m): 5:03pm On Nov 07, 2008
As Bush Years of ruling is comming to a close end, What Do You think of His era?

How will he be remembered?

David hit some important notes on it already that I believe may be omitted from Bush's memoirs when his Presidential library is commissioned.

I need to use the present to qualify the political environment in 2000 election.  The principal figure is first, Sarah Palin and second, John McCain.  
By far, Sarah Palin in 2008 is more intelligent and culturally exposed than Bush was in 2000.  

If Palin's lack of intellectual and foreign relations credit disqualifies her to be a competent VP, what more with Bush that qualifies him to be a competent President?  In retrospect, this was the root of the problem for why Bush ended his two terms on the current note.  Unlike McCain's heritage which is heavily military, Bush's heritage is solidly in public policy and executive administration; his grandfather was a congressional member , his father was a congressional member, a US Ambassador to UN, a US Diplomat to China, the Director of CIA, VP for eight years, the President for four years, went to war and won against Saddam. Bush 43 himself was a Governor for eight years. . . . . so it's not like he did not have the experience. His problem as I mentioned - aptitude and cultural exposure. Bush never traveled outside US until he became President, can you believe it!

I could go on and expand and clarify in details but I will spare you the trouble of reading my lengthy article. There is one good thing I love about him and that is, George Bush does not waver in the face of threat, he is a brave man and a reliable leader to have in front in times of national security. His judgements may have been wrong but his decisiveness is exemplary. Also, he is down to earth with a good sense of humor.

1 Like

Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 5:26pm On Nov 07, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

David hit some important notes on it already that I believe may be omitted from Bush's memoirs when his Presidential library is commissioned.

I need to use the present to qualify the political environment in 2000 election.  The principal figure is first, Sarah Palin and second, John McCain. 
By far, Sarah Palin in 2008 is more intelligent and culturally exposed than Bush was in 2000. 

If Palin's lack of intellectual and foreign relations credit disqualifies her to be a competent VP, what more with Bush that qualifies him to be a competent President?  In retrospect, this was the root of the problem for why Bush ended his two terms on the current note.  Unlike McCain's heritage which is heavily military, Bush's heritage is solidly in public policy and executive administration; his grandfather was a congressional member , his father was a congressional member, a US Ambassador to UN, a US Diplomat to China, the Director of CIA, VP for eight years, the President for four years, went to war and won against Saddam. Bush 43 himself was a Governor for eight years. . . . . so it's not like he did not have the experience. His problem as I mentioned - aptitude and cultural exposure. [size=18pt]Bush never traveled outside US until he became President, can you believe it![/size]

I could go on and expand and clarify in details but I will spare you the trouble of reading my lengthy article. There is one good thing I love about him and that is, George Bush does not waver in the face of threat, he is a brave man and a reliable leader to have in front in times of national security. His judgements may have been wrong but his decisiveness is exemplary. Also, he is down to earth with a good sense of humor.

I can't believe it because it certainly isnt true.

1. Bush was in China (1975) when his father served as US envoy.
2. He travelled to Mexico several times as Governor of Texas.
3. Represented his father at Gambian independence day celebrations in 1990.
4. Visited his daughter in Italy in 1998
5. toured Cairo, Israel and the WestBank (with Ariel Sharon) with other governors in 1998.

but hey, don't let facts get in the way of your own opinion.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by MandingoII(m): 5:30pm On Nov 07, 2008
I'm GRATEFUL for President Bush.

Because he was so ATROCIOUS, we now have a BLACK PRESIDENT.

Thank you W. for being you!

black people should be thankful for President Bush and Dick Cheney
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by RichyBlacK(m): 6:08pm On Nov 07, 2008
sexyLeamon:

the worst us president without a doubt

Well said!

Not even in fiction can such a horrible person be president of the United States.

I believe historians will come to refer to these eight years of George W. Bush as the "wasted years" or "the dark years".

May God see us through the remaining 10 weeks left of the reign of "the lunatic"!
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by NegroNtns(m): 7:49pm On Nov 07, 2008
David,

George W, the first son of George H. W. Bush, had no cultural curiosity outside of US borders. I am shocked you countered me with those claims of his visits to places outside US. I would expect more than mere visits from someone who had nurtured the ambition of one day becoming President from back when he was at Yale and Harvard. Should he have had the curiosity to expand his knowledge and exposure to the global communities that he would one day hopefully lead? I say yes. His travels to Mexico is like Palin saying I see Russia from my backyard. Im sure if it was not for security reasons Alaskans will be criss-crossing into and out of Russia like they do with their other neighbor Canada. Texas borders Mexico and of course as Governor of Texas I would hope that he travels to that country often for bilateral interests.

Much of his foreign policy failures take root in his limited perspectives on global affairs and that was due to lack of exposure generally. The adventures of global travels and curiosities would have come handsomely handy in his skills on foreign relations,not necessarily at an expert level but they nonetheless become point of reference in building bridges and more particularly in his ability to see the humal element in other cultures foreign to his caucasian heritage.
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 7:58pm On Nov 07, 2008
Negro, i expect you to be mature enough to admit that you LIED . . . here is your statement reproduced again . . .

Negro_Ntns:

[size=18pt]Bush never traveled outside US until he became President, can you believe it![/size]

Is it true or not that Bush indeed has travelled outside the US to no less than 10 countries before he became president?

Negro_Ntns:

George W, the first son of George H. W. Bush, had no cultural curiosity outside of US borders.

On what basis do you make this erroneous claim? Is there a way to measure "cultural curiosity"?

Negro_Ntns:

I am shocked you countered me with those claims of his visits to places outside US.

I am even more shocked that you made a claim you did not properly verify.

Negro_Ntns:

I would expect more than mere visits from someone who had nurtured the ambition of one day becoming President from back when he was at Yale and Harvard. Should he have had the curiosity to expand his knowledge and exposure to the global communities that he would one day hopefully lead? I say yes.

He toured Egypt (met with Hosni Mubarak), Israel and the West Bank with Ariel Sharon in 1998 along with the National Governors Association.

So your question above is invalid.

Negro_Ntns:

His travels to Mexico is like Palin saying I see Russia from my backyard.

ridiculous.

Negro_Ntns:

Much of his foreign policy failures take root in his limited perspectives on global affairs and that was due to lack of exposure generally. The adventures of global travels and curiosities would have come handsomely handy in his skills on foreign relations,not necessarily at an expert level but they nonetheless become point of reference in building bridges and more particularly in his ability to see the humal element in other cultures foreign to his caucasian heritage.

Frankly you dont know what u're talking about.

Obasanjo travelled all over the world, is Nigeria's foreign policy well defined?
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by NegroNtns(m): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2008
Negro, i expect you to be mature enough to admit that you LIED

Whats your point?

On what basis do you make this erroneous claim? Is there a way to measure "cultural curiosity"?

LIED, erroneous claim. . . . whats your point? Yes, there is.

I am even more shocked that you made a claim you did not properly verify

LIED, erroneous claim, did not properly verify . . . what's your point?

So your question above is invalid

LIED, erroneous claim, did not properly verify, invalid . . . what's your point?

ridiculous

Frankly you don't know what u're talking about

David,

LIED, erroneous claim, did not properly verify, invalid, ridiculous, don't know . . . far too many negatives in your response. Did I steal your wife or something, what's your point? cheesy

If I come from a background similar to one that George Bush came from, my exposure to the people of the world and opinion of them would by far extend beyond just handshakes here and there, smiles for the camera hither and thither . . . and to add dimension, you can see the effect of that difference in the measurable success of Bill Clinton, compared to George Bush. Bush has not written any paper or book on world affairs. . . labeled himself the Leader of the World and and yet no literary work to demonstrate an intellectual legacy. , . . . . and you want to defend his laxity with visits with leaders in foreign countries, beyond that what does he think of those places and their people?

Makes me question your aptitude and intelligence?
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DeepZone: 8:22pm On Nov 10, 2008
Bush did nothing wrong. Since the democrats became the majority in the house, the US economy went downhill and everything fell apart. Their new slogan should be "Things fall apart".
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 8:29pm On Nov 10, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

If I come from a background similar to one that George Bush came from, my exposure to the people of the world and opinion of them would by far extend beyond just handshakes here and there, smiles for the camera hither and thither . . . and to add dimension, you can see the effect of that difference in the measurable success of Bill Clinton, compared to George Bush. Bush has not written any paper or book on world affairs. . . labeled himself the Leader of the World and and yet no literary work to demonstrate an intellectual legacy. , . . . . and you want to defend his laxity with visits with leaders in foreign countries, beyond that what does he think of those places and their people?

Makes me question your aptitude and intelligence?

my dear negro, shut up and allow more intelligent people make a point instead of spamming the thread with your half-baked illiteracy dressed up as "intelligent discourse". See the person questioning my aptitude . . . grin

Your earlier claim was that Bush never travelled outside the US until he became president . . . makes me question whether you can read or are just an ignorant bushman. Bush spent 6 weeks in china in 1975, had been to Africa, Europe and the middle east before becoming president.

It doesnt matter whether it was all a photo-op or not. Bill Clinton was perhaps one of America's best presidents . . . what nations did he visit before he became president? How many papers did he write on world affairs?

Do you think before you post at all?
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by NegroNtns(m): 8:43pm On Nov 10, 2008
You are focusing on his visits, which is ceremonial. I am concentrating on his travels and inquisitions into cultural diversities.

I have noticed that there are a handful of people in NL who lack sufficient broad mindedness in social discussions, particularly their brain exhaust fast in its expansiveness and they must therefore substitute for that call of scholastic aptitude by demonstrating brute instincts, such as negative branding and curses as well as false portrayal of the opponent's winning argument.

I started by saying this : David hit some important notes on it already that I believe may be omitted from Bush's memoirs when his Presidential library is commissioned

David, if your intelligence is anything to go by what does this opening tell you relative to the rest of the narratives in my first post? Before you respond with instinctive brute let me help you - it means that I am talking about his understanding or lack thereof of world politics and not about who or where he visited.

Now, let's see how you respond. . . .
Re: George Bush-(2000-2008) by DavidDylan(m): 8:49pm On Nov 10, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

You are focusing on his visits, which is ceremonial. I am concentrating on his travels and inquisitions into cultural diversities.

Look, i appreciate those who are humble enough to admit they dont know what they talk about. Here i reproduce your own very statement that generated this - Bush never traveled outside US until he became President, can you believe it!

I'm not focusing on any visit or travels or cultural inquisition . . . i am focusing on the fact that YOU LIED when you made the erroneous claim that Bush never traveled outside the US until he became president.

Negro_Ntns:

I have noticed that there are a handful of people in NL who lack sufficient broad mindedness in social discussions, particularly their brain exhaust fast in its expansiveness and they must therefore substitute for that call of scholastic aptitude by demonstrating brute instincts, such as negative branding and curses as well as false portrayal of the opponent's winning argument.

To start with, its obvious you think that using so many highfalutin words is a sign of "intelligence".
1. Its not.
2. What you typed above makes no grammatical sense.

For someone accusing others of "lacking sufficient broad mindedness", you didnt even know where Bush had been to before he became president.

Negro_Ntns:

I started by saying this : David hit some important notes on it already that I believe may be omitted from Bush's memoirs when his Presidential library is commissioned

Where you started is not the issue.

Negro_Ntns:

David, if your intelligence is anything to go by what does this opening tell you relative to the rest of the narratives in my first post? Before you respond with instinctive brute let me help you - it means that I am talking about his understanding or lack thereof of world politics and not about who or where he visited.

This is not an argument about "intelligence", it is an issue of honesty, being mature enough to admit mistakes and second grade history.

I asked a question that you sidestepped - How many countries did Bill Clinton visit before he became president? What was his level of cultural curiosity? Did he write any books or papers on world affairs before he became president?

Are those 3 things the criteria for a "good" president?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Politics Of Assassination In Rwanda. Behind The 'not So Perfect' Kigali / Leuren Moret On Fukushima, Nuclear Death Is Coming To The World 1-12 / The World's Poorest President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.