Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right (30267 Views)

Interpret These Sayings / Clever Quotes And Sayings / Funny Women Quotes And Sayings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 7:07pm On Sep 26, 2014
popular sayings are usually used when making a speech, advising people and the likes but some don't sound right. here are the three major ones that i disagree with:

THE PATIENT DOG EATS THE FATTEST BONE. it should be the patient dog eats left over bones

THE GOOD DIE YOUNG. it should be "being good does not guarantee long life on earth" it could probably earn you heaven.

YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT. na my own u wan come chop? it should be reversed to what it used to be "you cant eat your cake and have it"

these are the ones that dont eound right to me. feel free to add yours

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Mightyguy(m): 7:16pm On Sep 26, 2014
Wetin u wan me do na?!* sadWetin u wan me do na?!*

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Donfamous(m): 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2014
adonbilivit: popular sayings are usually used when making a speech, advising people and the likes but some don't sound right. here are the three major ones that i disagree with:

THE PATIENT DOG EATS THE FATTEST BONE. it should be the patient dog eats left over bones

THE GOOD DIE YOUNG. it should be "being good does not guarantee long life on earth" it could probably earn you heaven.

YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT. na my own u wan come chop? it should be reversed to what it used to be "you cant eat your cake and have it"

u're confused here.

126 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 7:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
Donfamous: u're confused here.
how do u mean?
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Donfamous(m): 7:40pm On Sep 26, 2014
adonbilivit: how do u mean?
u turned it upside down, its actually d inverse u wrote

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 7:43pm On Sep 26, 2014
Donfamous: u turned it upside down, its actually d inverse u wrote
nah, that was then. its now YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT. google it.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2014
Lolzz. Funny
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Adrenaline123(m): 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
Pictures or "OP's moniker" grin grin

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 9:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
Adrenaline123: Pictures or "OP's moniker" grin grin

bros ur brain dey leak? wetin u need pictures for? u no get camera phone? lmao

5 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Henrypraise: 9:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
1.) Heaven help dos who help demselves (it is not written anywere in d bible)

2.) The end justify d means, not in all cases esp in nigeria political circle, wit all d lootin we av not seen d end of d criminals dat av bin sabotaging naija since 1960.

3.Den dis one confuse me: courage de say is not d absence of fear but d will to kip moving despite d challenges, same pple (our elders) still say: bush meat wen no get fear/ wen too de show himsef na him meat de full market pass

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Adrenaline123(m): 9:22pm On Sep 26, 2014
adonbilivit: bros ur brain dey leak? wetin u need pictures for? u no get camera phone? lmao
grin grin jest kidin
ok lemme contribute

Ask (Pronunciation)
Aks or Ask

You don’t aks/axe for things. You ask for them. I’m not sure when the “s” and “k” got switched but it happens all the time when people talk.

25 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by adonbilivit: 9:27pm On Sep 26, 2014
your bald head can serve as mirror to your girlfriend

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by nwaobitex: 10:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Ojestas(m): 11:14pm On Sep 26, 2014
Like a known devil is better than an unknown Angel . . i tell u, devil poses nothing good,.Angel wouldn't come to harm you. The closer you are to the devil, the vulnerable you are to him.

34 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Austyn44(m): 11:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
1. the patient dog eats the fatest bone "COS THE SMART DOGS HAVE EATEN THE MEAT".
2. Two heads are better than 1 "TWO GOOD HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE and ONE GOOD HEAD IS BETTER THAN TWO BAD HEADS.
3. A problem shared is a problem half solved. "DEPENDING ON WHO U SHARE IT WITH COS SOME FOLKS HAVE PROBLEM MAGNIFYING GLASSES.

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by GreyBlood: 11:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
To have your cake and eat it and to eat your cake and have it are grammatically correct. Both means to have things in both ways. So, don't be deterred from using them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 26, 2014
wow..nice topic @op somtymes i equally tink of some mistakes in the popular sayings grin

ONCE BEATEN TWICE SHY....n0pe not all d time because the one beaten might learn from his mistake and do better next time.

HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE... nope i think it should be HALF GOOD BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE because its better to stay hungry dan eat a rotten bread and fell sick.

TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH....unles the are bad cooks

IF U CANT BEAT THEM JOIN THEM..... they will poison u becox dey can hardly trust u

SLOW AND STEADY WINS D RACE... pls is diz man ok? undecided

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by PrinceAdepoju(m): 11:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
Austyn44: 1. the patient dog eats the fatest bone "COS THE SMART DOGS HAVE EATEN THE MEAT".
3. A problem shared is a problem half solved. "DEPENDING ON WHO U SHARE IT WITH COS SOME FOLKS HAVE PROBLEM MAGNIFYING GLASSES.
Eleyi gidi gan oogringringrin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Nobody: 12:27am On Sep 27, 2014
adonbilivit: nah, that was then. its now YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT. google it.
Donfamous: u're confused here.

I swear, when I saw the title of the thread, it was this expression that came to my mind. The right one is so illogical as OP as pointed out but it's still the right one.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

6 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by benswagtt(m): 12:34am On Sep 27, 2014
Adrenaline123:
grin grin jest kidin
ok lemme contribute

Ask (Pronunciation)
Aks or Ask

You don’t aks/axe for things. You ask for them. I’m not sure when the “s” and “k” got switched but it happens all the time when people talk.

I learnt sumtyn from your post!

6 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Asito(m): 1:34am On Sep 27, 2014
adonbilivit: popular sayings are usually used when making a speech, advising people and the likes but some don't sound right. here are the three major ones that i disagree with:

errghm not to burst ur bubble or anithing, but there is something we humans call "paradox" , and am sure if you wernt too busy brimming with excitment over creating a thread u would have had a rethink so as not to create a useless one. *not dat its my business or anything. #MyOneKobo *MODIFIED* i must confess i did not see this making FP. Like wtf :|

1 Like

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by MisterLongman(m): 1:47am On Sep 27, 2014
People who live in glass house should not throw stones - what should they be doing with stones in the first place...................................................................................... There is no place like home - Only when you don't have sad memories about the place............................................................................................ A watched pot never boils- so what's its usefulness if it can't boil ordinary water................................................................... If you can't beat them, join them- if you can't beat them, look for someone stronger that can beat them....................... Good things come to those who wait- follow this and you will wait till Jesus returns

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by MisterLongman(m): 1:47am On Sep 27, 2014
Two wrongs don't make a right - but in mathematics minus(-) x minus(-) = plus(+)

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by habiolah(m): 5:46am On Sep 27, 2014
MrKontrovErsy: wow..nice topic @op somtymes i equally tink of some mistakes in the popular sayings grin

ONCE BEATEN TWICE SHY....n0pe not all d time because the one beaten might learn from his mistake and do better next time.

HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE... nope i think it should be HALF GOOD BREAD IS BETTER THAN NONE because its better to stay hungry dan eat a rotten bread and fell sick.

A STITCH IN TIME SAVES 9... this saying is not always true because u might hurt ur fingers with the needle as u are making haste and thereby delaying as u are looking @ ur injured fingers.

is it dat you didn't get the last one or na me dey misunderstand you? if you stitch a cloth early enough, you will likely save it from worse tears. means doing certain things early enough sometimes save you unnecessary trouble.

6 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Andyblaze: 6:18am On Sep 27, 2014
If you create another account make sure we do not find out

14 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by AfricanApple(f): 7:03am On Sep 27, 2014
Adrenaline123:
grin grin jest kidin
ok lemme contribute

Ask (Pronunciation)
Aks or Ask

its pronounced as spelt, as in 'ahsk'
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 27, 2014
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Adrenaline123(m): 7:55am On Sep 27, 2014
AfricanApple: its pronounced as spelt, as in 'ahsk'
Most times people pronounce the word as "aks" while talking rapidly.
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by alexis007(m): 8:40am On Sep 27, 2014
the inordinate hunger to create a thread and feel important on NL brought about this silly thread.....if one thinks he can bend English to suit his Nigerian mentality and experience....then he is worth weeping for...[exits thread for the good of my own sanity]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by AfricanApple(f): 8:55am On Sep 27, 2014
Adrenaline123:
Most times people pronounce the word as "aks" while talking rapidly.
most times people misspelt alots of words especially words that starts with 'E' like 'emaciate, elaborate etc words like this are pronounced as imeciate
ilaborate

note I'm not saying all wpes that starts with E are pronounced like that.
so however they pronounced it doesn't matter, what matters is that u understand what they are saying
Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by ahkenaten(m): 10:13am On Sep 27, 2014
Adrenaline123:
grin grin jest kidin
ok lemme contribute

Ask (Pronunciation)
Aks or Ask

wizkid be like: oya axe your mommy. ..oya oya axe yout fadaa!!!! grin grin

22 Likes

Re: Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right by Princecalm(m): 10:35am On Sep 27, 2014
You are just saying what you like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Nairalander Trip To FUNAAB Zoo(pics) / "Lost My Father In 2007, Lost My Mother In 2014, Now A Doctor In 2017". Photos / Covenant University Fuel-less Car Unvail!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.