Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,915 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? (2307 Views)

Video & Pictures Of Obama Crying As He Thanks His Campaign Staff / Femi Fani-Kayode Labels Obama as Anti-Christ / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by JJYOU: 6:26pm On Nov 08, 2008
some Nigerians UK begins in hackney ending in peckham. if obama ran for election in the UK he would have won with higher percentage.

i attend a 98% white church. the pastor for 2 weeks prayed openly for him to Win and peace and prosperity to attend his reign.
the acres and mileage of press supporting him before and after the election was unbelievable.

too many of us see racism behind every action the white man takes. we have not addressed the tribalism that is our cancer. i am yet to be convinced the US and the UK is not fairer than most places in Africa. the problem most of you have is you think they should open their borders for anyone coming to be lawless. this is mostly organised society where they work out how to collect your taxes yes that obscene word tax before the economic gravy train is opened to you. what is wrong with that?`

do you know how many black people in this land claim benefits and housing they are not entitled to? how did the racism not stop these people.

would obama have won this election in Nigeria considering he is not criminally minded and coming to loot the treasury like our people do?

watch this footage and learn the importance of teaching your kids right and wrong rather money and greed. i bet these people didn't have the latest shoes and T shirts to get where they are today.

stop blaming racism. you are already here. go out work hard like your life depend on it because it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raz0d371LIY
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by eldee(m): 12:53pm On Nov 09, 2008
@topic
Pure fuckery!!!
Last four years, the rest of the world wanted John Kerry, Britain wanted John Kerry to stop the war(s)
The fact that Europe liked Obama and he won is just a coincidence
Even Gordon Brown said it on the AM show that they'll just try to work with anyone that comes
That's what they're there for

@Glite
You can keep hating on the UK from now till next year
First you need to understand that the UK is almost the same size as Alaska but you can't mention five countries more powerful
For a tiny island nation, The UK is far greater than you think
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by dejacrue: 7:54pm On Nov 09, 2008
obama's victory; good 4 america, africa & the world at large. now let's pray he is not assasinated because a good no. of americans are not happy that a black man rules over them now 4 d next 4 yrs.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by AngieFan(f): 6:49am On Nov 10, 2008
Tats:

@AngieFan,

Glite may not be from Nigeria just like you probably are not Nigerian and posting messages on this board. So it may be better if you held back some of those unpleasant words about Nigeria or Nigerians in response to Glite's posts.

I am of Nigerian descent. It would probably be better for you to tell the cow to watch her mouth because I am not going to keep quiet while Nigerians talk smack about my country(Britain) when theirs is nothing to write home about.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:47am On Nov 10, 2008
Who cares what "the UK" feels/thinks about Barack Obama's historic win. I bet majority of the progressive elements in the UK are ecstatic about this historic event!

All people of goodwill on earth are celebrating the triumph of inclusiveness over divisiveness, of cosmopolitanism over xenophobia, and of egalitarianism over ethnic/racial/tribal bigotry!

Godspeed my president! Obama the Great!

[img]http://obamamedia.files./2008/02/obama-5-1024.png[/img]
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Bastage: 11:29am On Nov 10, 2008
This question is an absolute no-brainer.

The British were totally, utterly and absolutely relieved that Obama beat McCain. In a national radio phone in on the most listened to radio station here, a mock election was run asking who UK people would vote for. Well over 80% of the thousands and thousands of people voted for Obama. Talk to the man in the street here and you're very, very unlikely to find a single McCain supporter amongst them.
The UK government itself got into trouble when it inadvertently said it wanted Obama to win and had to backtrack to remain an air of impartiality.

UK didn't want Obama to win? An absolute joke statement made by someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

The US as less racism than any white dominated country.

You're joking right? I've lived in both countries and can tell that you haven't. Try visiting the South or the Bible Belt area of the US. You live in a dream world. Granted, the US is not as racist as any African country, but it's still pretty near the top of the table.
Re: Is UK Really Happy About The Election Of Obama As The President Of USA (world)? by Horus(m): 7:47pm On Nov 10, 2008
Can we have a British Obama? Yes we can

Unsurprisingly Barack Obama’s election has kicked off a debate about whether a non-white person could become Prime Minister in Britain. I’m an optimist on the question; I think we have come a long way from Cheltenham in 1992.
One thing worth noting is that the non-white population in Britain is only around 10 percent compared to more than twenty percent in America. Also, Britain’s history with race is less fraught than America’s. There wouldn’t be the same level of emotional intensity about the first non-white Prime Minister that there has been about the election of the first non-white President.   
Trevor Phillips has a point about the dead hand of the party machine. But that is not unique to Britain. It is worth remembering that Obama lost a Congressional primary in 2000 in part because the party machine thought he would upset the ethnic balance if he won, he was considered not black enough compared to the former Black Panther Bobby Rush. There are also other ways around the traditional party structures now.

For instance, the London Mayoralty now presents an alternative route to national prominence.
Finally, politics is unpredictable—few in 1970 would have predicted that by the end of the decade Britain would have a female Prime Minister and there wouldn’t have been many people in 2000 who would have predicted that George W. Bush would be succeeded by the first black president. As Conservative Home reminds us, Margaret Thatcher famously predicted that there wouldn't be a female Prime Minister in her lifetime. None of this is to say that we should be complacent. A system which results in only 15 of 646 MPs being non-white is not sufficiently inclusive or meritocratic. But looking at the candidates selected by both major parties for the next election, the parties are clearly beginning to do a better job on this front.

Source: http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2585876/can-we-have-a-british-obama-yes-we-can.thtml

(1) (2) (Reply)

Russian President, Vladimir Putin Snubs His Presidential Motorcade / Uhuru Kenyatta Appears At Icc In The Hague? / Current Migration Trends Of Nigerians And African Peoples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.