Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,138 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" (103396 Views)

Getting Ready For Job Interview – How To Keep Calm / How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" / On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by femi4: 9:22am On Sep 27, 2014
Lero15: bro, I recommend one of Jarus' topics for you about top lies interviewees tell interviews. Being honest sometimes can cost one a job offer...too bad.
I don't need them, it works doesn't make it right!

I m employed and I never lied to get the job!

3 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Lero15(m): 9:58am On Sep 27, 2014
femi4: I don't need them, it works doesn't make it right!

I m employed and I never lied to get the job!

on point.
But those exclammation marks aren't necessary nah.
If u checked d mood of what I wrote there, you wld know I condemn it too.

1 Like

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 10:07am On Sep 27, 2014
standd: ****
In my opinion, repeating the information already on your CV may not cut it with most employers. Try to tell them your core values, your strengths, what you are bringing to the table, etc.

This is a summary of my own reply to the same question:

...Who are you?

I am Standd so so so... Born on the 15th of February 1998, in Lagos State. I attended ZCU in Ghana and graduated with a Second Class Upper Degree in Physics and ...........
I am an introverted lady who is very hardworking and diligent. I love writing, reading and travelling. I have a flair for books and I can read anything in print. I have had working experience in so so and so and I always deliver my best.
My core values are Self-respect, self-discipline, honesty, hard work and I am self motivated to always aim for my goals.
I leave no room for failure as I prepare meticulously for every task. My greatest strength lies in the fact that I assimilate quickly and I am also always willing to learn, I follow procedures, I hate procrastination and I don't condone laziness.
Being a Melphleg has made me a great listener. I possess great clarity of mind and pay attention to minute details. I find great joy in being charitable and non-judgemental. I am a young Nigerian who sees every cup half full. I am a poet and I have written up to 120 poems. Basically, I am a realist, a thinker, a performer, a giver, a doer and nurturer.
Thank you.

Op, this works for me all the time. But note that, I always fine-tune it depending on the kind of job I applied for. You dare not apply for a marketing job and claim to be an introvert oh cheesy
Hope you understand?

Well said,I even took some of ur points u know?But d thing is,if u give all ds details when asked "who are u" what do u tell the interviewer if ur asked "why do u think we should hire u"??

5 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by lightofjoy(m): 10:25am On Sep 27, 2014
Nice topic
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by juanmiguel: 10:26am On Sep 27, 2014
its my b'day! Dancing!
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Pamcrest(f): 10:28am On Sep 27, 2014
Marvin67: . Those are the things everyone would say, if u say those, you wouldn't captivate the employer, cos he hears those same things from almost every applicant. The question "can we meet u?" means in other words, "sell urself to us" the best way to answer it, is to tell the interview all the above mentioned detalis, and quickly add the qualities you possess that u feel would make u excel on the job.

Precisely!
Don't forget d interviewer has already read all yr personal info from yr cv, so what he wants to hear from you now is what you will be bringing to d job. But keep yr answer brief n maintain yr self confidence all through.
Most interviewers are not only listening to yr answers but also watching yr disposition closely.
My humble submission
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by obisage(m): 10:35am On Sep 27, 2014
thank God I'm not a job seeker!
I create jobs!
start something small today
and stop learning how to
answer simple questions as
small as "can we meet you"

I'll answer, why would u meet me?
Are you gay??

1 Like

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 11:02am On Sep 27, 2014
I'm glad I saw this topic,I'll like to ask a question though.I went for an interview and deep down I knew I was doing well,after selling myself,somehow I just chipped this"if u can work in coy xx,u can work anywhere"that was me referring to my former place of work,because really I'm into customer service[CCA] to be precise for a popular network in Nigeria,I didn't get the job even though I know I did well in d interview,I couldn't forgive myself cos I felt,they feel I was being proud or something,don't know,just asking.Mr Jarus or someone else,please help me out here.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Edoblakky(m): 11:12am On Sep 27, 2014
@ OP let me tell you how I answered Dr Mike Adenuga when he interviewed me for a job I applied for with his bank then ETB. He looked at me briefly and said Edoblakky, let me meet you. I started: I'm Edoblakky, XZ years old, I studied Mechanical Engineering from the university of Benin where I graduated with a 2:1. I then proceeded to Enugu state where I did my NYSC and was a tutor teaching math, physics and chemistry. And after my service, I've been teaching math at ZX school, Lagos. I am a hardworking Nigerian who is dedicated, conscientious and analytical. I am a goal getter who understands people and how to work with them in a result-oriented manner. Thank you! I was elated to see smiles on Adenuga's face meaning he was convinced. He gave me the job and even asked me to choose where I wanted to work.

3 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Edoblakky(m): 11:19am On Sep 27, 2014
AriDsexy: I'm glad I saw this topic,I'll like to ask a question though.I went for an interview and deep down I knew I was doing well,after selling myself,somehow I just chipped this"if u can work in coy xx,u can work anywhere"that was me referring to my former place of work,because really I'm into customer service[CCA] to be precise for a popular network in Nigeria,I didn't get the job even though I know I did well in d interview,I couldn't forgive myself cos I felt,they feel I was being proud or something,don't know,just asking.Mr Jarus or someone else,please help me out here.
. There are things not to say during an interview. You gave the interviewer(s) the impression that you have worked with a difficult company hence the comparison. Never put your former or previous employers in a bad light before a prospective employer. They will feel you will do same to them before other employers. Cheers!
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 11:27am On Sep 27, 2014
standd:

Why should we hire you?

For experienced position:
Judging from my past record in so so so company, I know I can deliver because I have a record of excellence.

I am ready to work with others to achieve set objectives. I am tenacious and diligent, I don't abandon projects half way and I do not have a record of failure.

If it is an intern position:

I believe I will meet different people from different walks of life here, I will learn from the best and also deliver my best.
Thnx a lot,I said all ds stuffs even added that I'm very dedicated to my job,I av a strong sense of duty and goal oriented,bla bla bla,it was just like I was talking c*ap,cos d lady asked again,why do u think we should hire u,I still managed to answer but ds time,I wasn't as confident as when I first started,and dt was d first interview I'd say I didn't give my best.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Lero15(m): 11:34am On Sep 27, 2014
AriDsexy:
Thnx a lot,I said all ds stuffs even added that I'm very dedicated to my job,I av a strong sense of duty and goal oriented,bla bla bla,it was just like I was talking c*ap,cos d lady asked again,why do u think we should hire u,I still managed to answer but ds time,I wasn't as confident as when I first started,and dt was d first interview I'd say I didn't give my best.
Try something new, find a Good philosophy of life & use a short scenario/conviction to defend it...that works for me.

1 Like

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Lero15(m): 11:42am On Sep 27, 2014
standd:

You should understand that as humans, individuality goes a long way to determine how we see things.
Obviously, your interviewer needed to hear something different (maybe in line with the job specs).

I was at an interview recently and I was asked where I see myself in 5 years time.
I wanted to launch into the long blah blah blah story that I already crammed, but having waited for too long and being tired and wary- I just told the woman interviewing me that in the next 5 years, I would be working for myself, I would have gotten enough certifications in business management and I would be managing my own firm.
cheesy cheesy

She was silent.
I thought they won't even call me back but they did. So, you see, different strokes for different folks.

Don't overwork yourself before an interview. Stay relaxed, do research on the company and always say SOMETHING when you are asked a question. Even when you don't know what to say, find something to say.
And be calm.
bro, I was in this scenario as at last week. I said in 10 years time, I'll be a consultant. She jst asked me one funny questn, that I will leave them when they finally employ me... I defended myself well & all...but after d interview, I got scared sort of...is it wrong to be honest these days?
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Profdolaisawiz: 11:43am On Sep 27, 2014
Lero15: Your name, age, state of origin, sec skl, higher institutn wit dates, nysc, job experiences, family background (if specifically asked), and hobbies.
Aren't those on ur resumè already?

1 Like

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by bist: 11:45am On Sep 27, 2014
donroxy: You were nervious and allowed yourself to be caught off guard .... Interview is like a battle which should be humbly and respectfully fought ...... The best way to win is to win the interviewers !!

Since you were asked ''is that all'' ...
Just tell her ''ohh, thatz all for now'' or humbly add few more .... It is normal to goof But how you correct your errors is the most important !!! .... Be bold and confident !!

''may we meet you'' ....

E.g I'm Donroxy, a graduate of Biology from the prestigious University of Zaria and an associate member of Nigerian Institute of Biologist.... I hail from Abuja Municipal Area Council in Federal capital territory and My primary and secondary education was had in Gudu nur/pry sch and wuse II grammar school respectively in FCT .... I just concluded my NYSC in Sambisa Forest and I'm looking forward to begin my career with this prestigious organisation , Nairaland Nigerian Ltd , Thank you !!

All those thing will be rambled within 30seconds ....be brief and tis better for them to ask u 4 more than you keep talking !!

If they ask 4 more ..... Tell them more :

Mention your skills and experiences and relate them with how beneficial it is to ''NNL'' (nairaland Nig Ltd) then shut up !

If they ask for more :

Mention your strength and weaknesses ( then shut up ) :

they are all about you .....

Don't talk more than a minute or two when answering questions , make it interactive like a conversation with elderly friendly person , you don't wanna steal the whole show nor spoil the show through your responses !!

IMHO !!

1 Like

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Lero15(m): 11:46am On Sep 27, 2014
Profdolaisawiz: Aren't those on ur resumè already?
yes, they are. Include your skills that marches well with the job too.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by chyna4luv: 11:47am On Sep 27, 2014
@donpeey22, To be frank with you, you haven't said enough about yourself, that was the reason why your interviewer tried to help you by saying "Is That All?" Other Professional HRs wouldn't do that, People who have attended professional HRs' seminars will know what I mean. During the interview they WON'T correct you even if you're talking trash, after the interview, you won't hear from them again,meaning that you weren't successful. I give kudos to your interviewer. I guess you're fresh graduate! Lol don't mind me o.

Okay let's talk. There is NO standard way of answering all interview questions. The most important thing is to say something that matches the job role that you're being interviewed on(your RELATED work experiences and skills matters alot, DISPLAY it to your interviewer). If you like express yourself in 1000 sentences with good communication skills, contrary to what I said, you're off! I know a friend who breaks while communicating orally but he got a TO job in a bank,he displayed his abilities.

3 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Lero15(m): 11:50am On Sep 27, 2014
chyna4luv: @donpeey22, To be frank with you, you haven't said enough about yourself, that was the reason why your interviewer tried to help you by saying "Is That All?" Other Professional HRs wouldn't do that, People who have attended professional HRs' seminars will know what I mean. During the interview they WON'T correct you even if you're talking trash, after the interview, you won't hear from them again,meaning that you weren't successful. I give kudos to your interviewer. I guess you're fresh graduate! Lol don't mind me o.

Okay let's talk. There is NO standard way of answering all interview questions. The most important thing is to say something that matches the job role that you're being interviewed on(your RELATED work experiences and skills matters alot, DISPLAY it to your interviewer). If you like express yourself in 1000 sentences with good communication skills, contrary to what I said, you're off! I know a friend who breaks while communicating orally but he got a TO job in a bank,he displayed his abilities.
GBAM!
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 11:58am On Sep 27, 2014
Edoblakky: . There are things not to say during an interview. You gave the interviewer(s) the impression that you have worked with a difficult company hence the comparison. Never put your former or previous employers in a bad light before a prospective employer. They will feel you will do same to them before other employers. Cheers!
Noooo,it wasn't about me trying to put d previous company I worked for in a bad light,it was about me wanting them to know that I can give in my best with little or no spervision and that we even exceed parameters set for us,because I already told her d company,I just chipped that in just so the'll know they were picking d right person and won't have reasons to regret picking me.Thanx for ur contribution.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by sunkymike(m): 11:58am On Sep 27, 2014
I interned with Julius b PLC where I worked on ABC project as a site engineer for 6 months. I'm great with the use of Orion software which will help make your designs a lot faster and effective. Also with my knowledge of ms project, your projects can easily be executed in line with the project schedule.
my motto is ask not what your company can do for you but what you can do for your company. JF kennedy paraphrased.

Hint: Interviewers don't care about you but what yo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by tellwisdom: 12:01pm On Sep 27, 2014
Do people still work?? sad
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2014
chyna4luv: @donpeey22, To be frank with you, you haven't said enough about yourself, that was the reason why your interviewer tried to help you by saying "Is That All?" Other Professional HRs wouldn't do that, People who have attended professional HRs' seminars will know what I mean. During the interview they WON'T correct you even if you're talking trash, after the interview, you won't hear from them again,meaning that you weren't successful. I give kudos to your interviewer. I guess you're fresh graduate! Lol don't mind me o.

I really liked d part u said "there's no standard way of answering all interview questions" cos what Mr A wants to hear would be very different from Mrs B wants to hear,having been a victim myself,because I was feeling like a pro and dt I can handle all this questions until d last one I went for.Its just about knowing were u didn't do well and improving on them and giving them ur best in the next.

2 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Marvin67: 12:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
Never tell a lie in an interview. Some interviewers are after your composure, confidence level and vocal ability. If you're invited for an interview, it's because the interviewer has gone through your CV (in most cases) and already considers you employable. A lie could blow it all. For example you may lie that you were president of your CDS group during NYSC, which would make the interviewer ask questions like, tell us your achievements as president, what was the most challenging part of being a president, how were you able to carry out your projects, where did you carry out those projects etc. An answer to a question in an interview, can be used to generate other questions, if you tell a lie, be prepared to tell 10 more lies, and I assure you, you'd goof somewhere along line (except you have a Phd in the art of lying), thereby eliminating yourself.
RULE 101 OF INTERVIEWS; fine tune your answers, sound intelligent, look confident, but NEVER TELL A LIE.

For an intern or entry level position, don't forget to add this while answering the "can we meet you question"; I'm a fast learner and I'm keen to put what I've learnt into practice.

For fresh graduates, who are yet to be employed, pick up a teaching job while you continue your job hunt, teaching boosts your level of confidence, I used to be shy, but teaching helped me overcome that. Now I go into interviews assuming the interviewers are my students, I look boldly into their eyes, and I respond to their questions in detail.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 12:14pm On Sep 27, 2014
standd:

You should understand that as humans, individuality goes a long way to determine how we see things.
Obviously, your interviewer needed to hear something different (maybe in line with the job specs).

I was at an interview recently and I was asked where I see myself in 5 years time.
I wanted to launch into the long blah blah blah story that I already crammed, but having waited for too long and being tired and wary- I just told the woman interviewing me that in the next 5 years, I would be working for myself, I would have gotten enough certifications in business management and I would be managing my own firm.
cheesy cheesy

She was silent.
I thought they won't even call me back but they did. So, you see, different strokes for different folks.

Don't overwork yourself before an interview. Stay relaxed, do research on the company and always say SOMETHING when you are asked a question. Even when you don't know what to say, find something to say.
And be calm.
Alright,thank u so much.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by delors(m): 12:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
Lero15: Your name, age, state of origin, sec skl, higher institutn wit dates, nysc, job experiences, family background (if specifically asked), and hobbies.
Maybe not necessarily all the things you listed.
May we meet you?
Yes, then you introduce yourself ( name, academic qualification, your portfolio or aspiring portfolio e.g. policy analyst, data analyst, software engineer, etc, your years of experience in your field, if any, and finally why you are sitting in front of the interviewers at the moment.
For anyone who gets struck with this question, please respond this way. You only need 3 minutes to sell yourself in a very smart way such that after that, your interviewers will have very few questions left to ask you. Peace

2 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by chyna4luv: 12:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
AriDsexy:
Well said,I even took some of ur points u know?But d thing is,if u give all ds details when asked "who are u" what do u tell the interviewer if ur asked "why do u think we should hire u"??

Lol... One of your questions reminds me of the same question we asked A professional HRs in a seminar.
Thus: "Why Should I Hire You?"
Do you know what the HRs Man said? He said that there is NO standard way of answering the question and that different applicants should have different reason(s) why they should be hired with a convincing proof. Everyone of us in that seminar became surprised and baffled. 'we com dey think sey de man dey hide de ansa 4rm us' but when I got home, I went through what i wrote down during the seminar and I got convinced with the answer the HRs Man gave to that question.

So, I have my own reason why they should hire me with a convincing proof and I used it during my last interview with WFM and I passed but I rejected the offer due to the pay. So, know yours.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by nanaiza: 12:46pm On Sep 27, 2014
Lero15: bro, I was in this scenario as at last week. I said in 10 years time, I'll be a consultant. She jst asked me one funny questn, that I will leave them when they finally employ me... I defended myself well & all...but after d interview, I got scared sort of...is it wrong to be honest these days?
pls can u share ow u defended urself? Tanks
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by AriDsexy(f): 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
chyna4luv:

Lol... One of your questions reminds me of the same question we asked A professional HRs in a seminar.
Thus: "Why Should I Hire You?"
Do you know what the HRs Man said? He said that there is NO standard way of answering the question and that different applicants should have different reason(s) why they should be hired with a convincing proof. Everyone of us in that seminar became surprised and baffled. 'we com dey think sey de man dey hide de ansa 4rm us' but when I got home, I went through what i wrote down during the seminar and I got convinced with the answer the HRs Man gave to that question.

So, I have my own reason why they should hire me with a convincing proof and I used it during my last interview with WFM and I passed but I rejected the offer due to the pay. So, know yours.
Ok,I can relate with that,I mean not taking d job cos of the pay.It is well.
Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Biggybountz: 2:25pm On Sep 27, 2014

Wow, well I am not saying This is bad but please don't start this way except perhaps you are looking for a schoolboy position.

You have to start with something captivating and relevant to the position. E.g competencies and skills, and don't just mention them, relate them like a story.

For instance, in my last interview and Ofcourse I go the job the following day, I started with (I do get a lot of compliments from my friend about being creative and taking initiative, so I enjoy anything and roles in life that brings me such opportunities) , this is because I knew thy were looking for someone who can take initiatives. Just when I said this, over 5people sitting on there desk in the interview room, doing something different turned around to have a look at me, immediately I knew I had done well, drawn attention. There and then u gain your confidence as carry on.

Just my piece, typing from a phone sorry so can't say a lot.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" by Lero15(m): 2:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
Biggybountz:

Wow, well I am not saying This is bad but please don't start this way except perhaps you are looking for a schoolboy position.

You have to start with something captivating and relevant to the position. E.g competencies and skills, and don't just mention them, relate them like a story.

For instance, in my last interview and Ofcourse I go the job the following day, I started with (I do get a lot of compliments from my friend about being creative and taking initiative, so I enjoy anything and roles in life that brings me such opportunities) , this is because I knew thy were looking for someone who can take initiatives. Just when I said this, over 5people sitting on there desk in the interview room, doing something different turned around to have a look at me, immediately I knew I had done well, drawn attention. There and then u gain your confidence as carry on.

Just my piece, typing from a phone sorry so can't say a lot.

Cheers

"schoolboy"? Nonsense.
Bro, save your epistle for another person.
Check my other posts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Successfully Apply For Federal Civil Service Commission Job / Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) Recruitment 2017 / Standard Chartered Bank International Graduate Programme 2018

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.