Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? (27111 Views)

Getting Ready For Job Interview – How To Keep Calm / Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" / What Exactly Is The Salary Of A Graduate In NIMC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by mariannlove(f): 6:31pm On Apr 14, 2013
Hw Do I Answer This Questn In An Interview:hw Much Wld You Like To Be Paid?

pls nairalanders help me out. Your contribution wil be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Ibekwe7: 7:54pm On Apr 14, 2013
Tell them what you have in mind,I went for an interview and I was asked this question and i told them that the coy shd ve a stipulated amount they pay for the post I applied for dat I wish to go with the amount,LO and BEHOLD I failed the interview,I met the Hr and he told me I failed cos of what I said,dat I look cheap. He advice me to always say the amount I want and boldly no matter how big the amount is .

6 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ekel101: 9:10pm On Apr 14, 2013
pls nairalanders help me out. Your contribution wil be highly appreciated. Thanks

This is a tricky question, Dont Answer this Question on a first Interview, Just tell them that, you will stick to the Organisation pay for that position. Its not a good thing to start discussing money on a first interview it makes you look like someone that likes money. And if they insist that you should say an amount. Dont be afraid to say What you would like to earn, they cant disqualify you for saying a fair amount except if that amount is ridiculous for Eg As a bank teller you are asking for 300,000. Just Say something fair

4 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by duality(m): 9:21pm On Apr 14, 2013
Ibekwe7: Tell them what you have in mind,I went for an interview and I was asked this question and i told them that the coy shd ve a stipulated amount they pay for the post I applied for dat I wish to go with the amount,LO and BEHOLD I failed the interview,I met the Hr and he told me I failed cos of what I said,dat I look cheap. He advice me to always say the amount I want and boldly no matter how big the amount is .

You should have asked the HR If you'd get the job; had you quoted what the company can't afford. I see this salary questions by recruiters as a way to scam people. You look cheap my foot. tomorrow, the same management will complain of huge wage bill.

Anyway, he gave you an answer; it may not be true. The only way out is if you have an idea of the wage structure.that's not easy as people lie so much about their salaries.

8 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by mariannlove(f): 9:30pm On Apr 14, 2013
thanks guyz!
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by SimplYeahmee(m): 2:55am On Apr 15, 2013
Truth is all organizations will ask Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̅ this question in an interview. What Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are meant to do is b4 d interview find a way to know the salary for the position Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are applying for, let's say it's 45k/mnt. During the interview, when asked such question, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ don't quote the exact amnt but Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ give them a range like Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ say in the range of 40k - 50k.
This way, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ avoid overquoting and underquoting. Like that 45/mnt will amnt to 540k/yr. If Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote sumtin lyk 250 - 300, they say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are cheap and if Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote in the 700k-800k they'll say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are too expensive (and ℓ̊ laff).
So what Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ might say is btw 500k-600k/yr.
This way they have no way of dropping Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ based on salary.

4 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 6:21am On Apr 15, 2013
The first time i was asked dis question, I just looked the man who was interviewing me straight in the eyes and smiled...my response was along dis line; let's be realistic here! We all want money- even if am offered a million on a monthly basis i won't mind *both of us laughed @ dis point*...I believe you folks had a particular salary range in mind for this position before now; i want to hear it...to know if i will be 'cool with it' *end of story: funny enuf, i was offered the job but I had to turn it down because I got a better offer elsewhere*

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by naijaobi(m): 10:29am On Apr 15, 2013
Truth is, if you’re interviewing for entry level position, you have practically no say in the pay.
Almost 100% of companies have their pay structure and
know how much they will pay you already. If Zenith bank, for
instance, pays entry level employees N3m per annum, you
can’t get more than that, except you have relevant
experience. So most times, at entry level positions, this question is inconsequential, but it may be your undoing.
Imagine asking for N10m as entry level in GTB – it can annoy
your interviewer and an otherwise inconsequential question
can mar your chance. Personally, I –and people I know that are top management
staff in big organizations – always advise that you don’t say
an amount. Respond with something like: “ABC Plc is a well-
structured organization and I believe you will fairly place me
where I fit within the structure (knowing full well that you’re
entry level), with commensurate remuneration.” But if pressed further, you can state a sum, preferably a
range, which you must have researched. A good way to
research is to ask people that work in the organization what
entry level pay is or you put a thread in a forum like
Nairaland, where you are guaranteed of good response. You
may add 1 or 2m on top. For example, you know Ecobank pays N3m for entry level position, you may call 4m for them
at the interview. If however you have some special skills or qualifications, you
can charge a premium for that. For example, you have CFA,
very marketable qualification, you can be daring and request
for pay that is more than what is ordinarily obtainable for
that position. Or you are coming with Imperial or Harvard
certificate. Experienced hires are also in good position to negotiate.
SOURCRE: Jarus

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ajos(m): 11:10am On Apr 15, 2013
don't be local...be original.....after spending my cash on handouts,assignments,practicals,reports/research...etc i shul be bold enough to say a big amount cos my qually and experience worth my pay...i go squeeze faze fully bold call my price...after all i worth it...DON'T BE A BEGGER DURING INTERVIEW....BE ORIGINAL...DAT ONLY MEKS U EARN UR RESPECT....

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by baynix(m): 11:15am On Apr 15, 2013
Ds Is A Serious Question.. My Bro Was Unable To Get A Job Coz Of This Question.
A Muslim Travel Agency Were Asking Him Hw Much He Would Like To Be Paid.. He Said 100K... My Uncle Later Told Him He Sounds Cheap, Dat He Shld Have Asked For More!!

Can The Mods Pls Move It To Frontpage??
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by lifestyle1(m): 11:17am On Apr 15, 2013
What position are u applying for ?
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Emylexray(m): 11:18am On Apr 15, 2013
Wow! . . . Nice and thoughtful responses from you guys. Keep it coming!
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by demmy55(m): 11:18am On Apr 15, 2013
No vex abeg. Person don first me talk wetin i bin wan talk. angry

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 15, 2013
mariannlove: Hw Do I Answer This Questn In An Interview:hw Much Wld You Like To Be Paid?

My advice is when posed with this sort of question, don't be in a hurry to answer them...rather ask them what's their salary scale for someone of your experience. That will give u a breathing space, and also give you an idea of a figure to quote. If for instance, they say their salary scale id 200k, try saying something like "oh dear, i was expecting better from a great organization like yours and i my expectation is 400k (try not to quote more than 200k of their scale so u won't kick yourself in ur ass and lose out entirely while dey go for cheaper labor out there)". Try as much as possible to make them understand your qualities that you are bringing to their organization. For instance, tell them "I've ...yrs experience of staff management in our Human resources department, working with a small team! Nonetheless, this brought out the strength in me and my colleagues and we worked very hard to perform at the expected height set my our management and i'm confident of bringing same passion to your organization within the shortest possible time. I am also confident of rubbing off some of my passion on my new colleagues when i get started off with your organization"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Sike(m): 11:21am On Apr 15, 2013
Topic B O O K M A R K E D... BrB!

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by MadCow1: 11:22am On Apr 15, 2013
Depends on the Job.

A friend of mine who was out of a job for about two years went for an interview where he was asked how much would he like for his salary.. He thought about it and coming from a 400,000 Naira a month job, he just voiced out 800,000. Guess what! The employer just said Okay! Well, when he started working, he realized that the parent company was offering 1.6 million Naira for that position. He tried to renegotiate that rate and was not successful until the end of that job.

If you are going for an interview at a Service Management company (i.e These companies that hire you for other companies like banks, Oil & Gas companies, e.t.c) please always talk percentage not actual sum. And the ideal percentage is always 75% (after tax).

If you are going for a direct employment job, then you can talk actual sum.

10 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by surugede(m): 11:28am On Apr 15, 2013
mariannlove: Hw Do I Answer This Questn In An Interview:hw Much Wld You Like To Be Paid?

before you go for an interview, do a small research on how much the coy pays for the revel you are interviewed for. this will guide you in the question. do not give the exert figure they you confirm they pay, do like 20% mark up.

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Abujafood: 11:32am On Apr 15, 2013
I've discovered that many people ask these questions for various reasons. They may want to know how well you value your skills or might use it as a yardstick to picking who they want eventually in case there's a close call among interviewees.

But don't be afraid to ask for a reasonable amount. If you ask for too little you'll be paid little if you get the job. If you ask for too much you might be dropped. So ask for an amount that's slightly higher than the industry average.

Hint: Start by knowing how much is the industry average then ask for an amount that's a little above it. e.g N60K - N70K if industry average is N50K

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by begwong: 11:36am On Apr 15, 2013
what a timely/handy question.
Looking forward for an interview soonest.
Wish me luck!

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by anitank(f): 11:38am On Apr 15, 2013
Even with the big big grammer, none of you have answered the question ooo.

Can't blame anyone though, this question is a very tricky one and no single person can give a specific answer

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Abujafood: 11:39am On Apr 15, 2013
anitank: None of you have answered the question ooo

That would include you too!

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Temismith(f): 11:40am On Apr 15, 2013
Ask @jarius
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by RiKKies: 11:40am On Apr 15, 2013
If you are going for an interview at a Service Management company (i.e These companies that hire you for other companies like banks, Oil & Gas companies, e.t.c) please always talk percentage not actual sum. And the ideal percentage is always 75% (after tax).

Insightful.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by wonlasewonimi: 11:41am On Apr 15, 2013
Seriously, there is no right or wrong answer for this. If an organisation doesn't pick you because you stated an amount, thank your stars cos that's a very useless establishment.

The proper thing is to let the interviewer know your strengths, what you have achieved over time, what you can bring in terms of value added. State what you currently earn and tell them to make you an offer, if it matches your desired or projected earnings. You can take it from there!

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:41am On Apr 15, 2013
life_style: What position are u applying for ?
C.E.O/Presi grin
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by anitank(f): 11:47am On Apr 15, 2013
Abujafood:

That would include you too!
Lol! Very true. I've fallen prey to that same question. U shld have seen the way my interviewer opened his mouth when I gave him a figure grin grin

Truth is u'd never know what the salary range is like. They'd give u the job and still pay u accordingly if they want to, not becos u quoted too high or too low
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Tgold1(m): 11:50am On Apr 15, 2013
platinumricky: The first time i was asked dis question, I just looked the man who was interviewing me straight in the eyes and smiled...my response was along dis line; let's be realistic here! We all want money- even if am offered a million on a monthly basis i won't mind *both of us laughed @ dis point*...I believe you folks had a particular salary range in mind for this position before now; i want to hear it...to know if i will be 'cool with it' *end of story: funny enuf, i was offered the job but I had to turn it down because I got a better offer elsewhere*
platinumricky: The first time i was asked dis question, I just looked the man who was interviewing me straight in the eyes and smiled...my response was along dis line; let's be realistic here! We all want money- even if am offered a million on a monthly basis i won't mind *both of us laughed @ dis point*...I believe you folks had a particular salary range in mind for this position before now; i want to hear it...to know if i will be 'cool with it' *end of story: funny enuf, i was offered the job but I had to turn it down because I got a better offer elsewhere*
4nny
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 15, 2013
Know what is obtainable in the industry, even if you don't know the exact salary scale of the organization you applied for. Be reasonable, don't dodge the question, say something with confidence and genuine smile. That's how I got my dream job because they asked me same question...and I did what I just suggested to you.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ibkgab001: 11:53am On Apr 15, 2013
Tanker driver nii

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Jesuspikin87(m): 11:56am On Apr 15, 2013
One of the reasons I signed on here.
I LOVE THIS THREAD

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by tpapi: 11:58am On Apr 15, 2013
SimplYeahmee: Truth is all organizations will ask Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̅ this question in an interview. What Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are meant to do is b4 d interview find a way to know the salary for the position Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are applying for, let's say it's 45k/mnt. During the interview, when asked such question, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ don't quote the exact amnt but Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ give them a range like Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ say in the range of 40k - 50k.
This way, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ avoid overquoting and underquoting. Like that 45/mnt will amnt to 540k/yr. If Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote sumtin lyk 250 - 300, they say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are cheap and if Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ quote in the 700k-800k they'll say Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are too expensive (and ℓ̊ laff).
it seems u just bought dis bb

10 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by OCcool: 12:03pm On Apr 15, 2013
SimplYeahmee: Truth is all organizations will ask Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̅ this question in an interview. What Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are meant to do is b4 d interview find a way to know the salary for the position Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ are applying for, let's say it's 45k/mnt. During the interview, when asked such question, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ don't quote the exact amnt but Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ give them a range like Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ say in the range of 40k - 50k.
do u have any problem typing legibly like someone with a brain instead of dis gibberish?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Benin Is Currently Recruiting. Teaching And Non Teaching Staff / University Of Ibadan Recruits For Academic & Non-academic Staff Positions / Several Job Vacancies At Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.