Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,906 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland (3111 Views)

5 Facts You Need To Know About Aisha Buhari / Switzerland, Buhari And Abacha Loot - Thisday Newspaper Article / Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 9:58pm On Sep 26, 2014
7.In case of nuclear war the Swiss have [size=18pt]bunkers capable of fitting 100%[/size] of country's population.

6. In case of war their highways can be converted into landing/takeoff runways by quickly removing the grade separations.

5.Despite its size, Switzerland has four official languages (German, French, Italian, Romansh)

4~If the Swiss want to block off the country they can do it with very few soldiers, because the tunnels and many highways have steel tubes that can be raised at the touch of a button to block access. Moreover, trees that were planted long ago that, in the event if invasion, would be cut to land across roadways, making roads impassable.

3~ Also, in the event of war, the country can be rendered impassable by armoured vehicles in less than 1 hour. All bridges have bomb boxes, and all direction/distance signs (e.g. Geneva -> that way, 50 Km) can be dropped from sign posts from a central switch. Some mountains contain massive military bases and foothills are hollowed out for hangars and tank bunkers.

2~ "I was driving in Switzerland once, years ago, and saw a fighter jet taxi out of a mountainside and take off. My understanding is that these underground airforce bases are now used for storing records and other valuables."

1~ Voting is mandatory. If you do not vote without a good excuse you pay a fine. Being abroad is not an excuse.

0~Many companies employ people to do things like bookkeeping that could easily be automated. The reason is, as a society the Swiss have decided that low unemployment benefits everyone enough to make it worthwhile employing those people. (fact by Josh Trutt, read more in the comments)

BØNÜS
A lot of decisions are done by Referendums. E.G they decided not to allow mosques to be higher than churches.
---------
Of course, that's not all, but what popped into my head first out of facts not mentioned here already. Switzerland is an amazing country, and if you've never been there - I highly recommend you to visit it ASAP! It is wonderful.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by micklplus(m): 10:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
Impressive. Thanks for sharing
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by SMALLPENIS(f): 10:03pm On Sep 26, 2014
Wow! Nigeria will reach that level one day ! smiley
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 10:17pm On Sep 26, 2014
People are truly trusting. At a museum historical objects were on open display without guards or other security measures, in other countries these objects would disappear quickly. Kids walk to school alone from a very early age. Teens ride their bikes and leave them outside shops and cafes without locks. Unfortunately, this trust is being eroded by foreign/external influences and things are slowly starting to change.
Lolz

BØNŪS

WhatsApp has not spent a penny on marketing.
The company spends nothing on user acquisition and doesn’t even employ a marketer or a PR person. Everything has been viral- WhatsApp’s growth is all based on happy users spreading the service to their friends.

WhatsApp currently has only 55 employees.
While co-founders Jan and Brian have become billionaires overnight, the rest of their employees will also benefit greatly based on the sheer size of the Facebook shares issued and the small number of employees they have- about $344 million per employee of benefits if you do the math, though how WhatsApp will split it is not yet confirmed. Talk about being a part of an amazing little company that made all it’s employees millionaires overnight.
bonus:
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Idrismusty97(m): 10:38pm On Sep 26, 2014
The most mind blowing fact of all is that Switzerland is a Landlocked country. It is hard to believe this!
Landlocked developing countries ( LLDC ) are
developing countries that are landlocked . The
economic and other disadvantages experienced
by such countries makes the majority of
landlocked countries Least Developed Countries
(LDC), with inhabitants of these countries
occupying the bottom billion tier of the world's
population in terms of poverty. Apart from
Europe, there is not a single successful highly
developed landlocked country when measured
with the Human Development Index (HDI) and
nine of the twelve countries with the lowest HDI
scores are landlocked. Landlocked countries
that rely on transoceanic trade usually suffer a
cost of trade that is double of their maritime
neighbours. Landlocked countries experience
economic growth 6% less of their non-
landlocked countries, holding other variables
constant.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landlocked_developing_countries

What challenges do landlocked countries face?

The challenges facing landlocked developing countries Despite significant technological improvements in transport, landlocked countries in Africa and Asia continue to be less developed than countries that border the sea. While the poor economic performance of landlocked countries is often solely attributed to geographical distance from the coast, the situation is more complex. Landlocked countries must also face the challenges that result from their dependence on passage through another country to access global markets.
Research carried out by the Earth Institute at Columbia University and the United Nations Millennium Project attempts to understand the nature of these challenges. Based on data from a number of sources, the researchers highlight the relatively low development levels in landlocked developing countries and outline the problems they face.
Overall, landlocked countries have lower levels of human development and external trade compared with their maritime neighbours. Nearly all landlocked countries export between twelve and seventy per cent less than maritime countries. According to the Human Development Report (HDR) 2000, nine of the twelve countries with the lowest human development index ranking are land-locked. Average GDP per capita is approximately forty-three per cent lower, while life expectancy is three and a half years lower than their neighbours with access to the sea.
The authors argue that the relatively worse performance of landlocked countries is strongly related to their dependence on other countries' transit routes for access to overseas markets. They identify four issues that may inhibit the economic development of landlocked countries:Dependence upon transit neighbours' infrastructure to transport goods to port. This imposes direct costs on trade, particularly if the transit country's infrastructure is weak due to lack of resources, mis-governance, conflict or natural disasters.The political relationship between landlocked and transit countries. If the two are in conflict, whether military or diplomatic, the transit neighbour can easily block borders or obstruct trade.Vulnerability to civil conflict within transit countries. Civil conflict can damage or close transit routes, which often means that trade corridors have to be rerouted or even that transit is stopped.High administrative costs due to transit, associated with border crossings, heavy paperwork and bureaucratic procedures. These often add the greatest amount to shipping costs.
Strategies to improve the economic performance of landlocked countries should involve reducing their dependence on their transit neighbours. Measures should also be taken to reduce the risk of disruptions in trade flows. The authors recommend the following policy measures:Landlocked developing countries need to emphasise the development of their internal transportation infrastructure.Regional infrastructure integration strategies are needed to develop active trade routes and expand market access for landlocked countries. This includes investment in building and maintaining efficient ports to serve entire regions.Regional integration strategies (e.g. the Southern African Development Community) need to focus on administrative co-ordination to standardise border procedures and reduce transport costs.Landlocked countries need to invest, where possible, in developing industries that are less affected by transport costs.
In order to invest in all four of the above areas, official development assistance (ODA) to developing countries should give special attention to the unique needs of those that are landlocked. In particular, ODA should recognise the requirement for increases in assistance to support large-scale investments in roads and railways. Such investments need to include improvements in operations and maintenance as well as in transport infrastructure itself.

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 10:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
Idrismusty97: The most mind blowing fact of all is that Switzerland is a Landlocked country. It is hard to believe this!

Yeah, I am impressively aware of that since, It has borders with France, Liechtenstein, Germany, Austria and Italy, but has no coastline
But there is this country that hardly made headline, I_mean_LIECHTENSTEIN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Onlinebizexpert(m): 11:11pm On Sep 26, 2014
All I see here is war war war yet they are not the world power............rubbish

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by BlackTechnology: 11:24pm On Sep 26, 2014
They do not have a standing army but all males must undergo military training and be given a gun to keep at home

Swiss is Sparta in thinking

GEJ
#InvolveOurHigherInstitutionsInWeaponsDevelopment

Looking up to China and Russia for weapons is a shame to black people especially Nigeria that pride herself as giant of Africa

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Idrismusty97(m): 11:25pm On Sep 26, 2014
Onlinebizexpert: All I see here is war war war yet they are not the world power............rubbish

Nigeria GDP would still even surpassed theirs(Although their citizens are more wealthy and many live above the poverty line). Their GDP is roughly $650bn and ours is roughly $530bn. We are growing at a more faster rate than them and in less than 2-3 years from now we will have a bigger GDP.
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by publicenemy(m): 11:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
grin
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Idrismusty97(m): 11:45pm On Sep 26, 2014
DonaldGenes:

Yeah, I am impressively aware of that since, It has borders with France, Liechtenstein, Germany, Austria and Italy, but has no coastline
But there is this country that hardly made headline, I_mean_LIECHTENSTEIN
Maybe because it is one of the most smallest country in the world with a population of just over 35 thousands. That shouldn't even be a country, Germany should annex it cheesy. After all their official language is German and their cultures are similar. Lagos state is even more than five times bigger than Liechtenstein, Even small Singapore is four times larger than that country. According to mapfight Nigeria is 5773.55 times as big as Liechtenstein cheesy.

www.mapfight.appspot.com/ng-vs-li/nigeria-liechtenstein-size-comparison
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 11:51pm On Sep 26, 2014
Idrismusty97: Nigeria GDP would still even surpassed theirs(Although their citizens are more wealthy and many live above the poverty line). Their GDP is roughly $650bn and ours is roughly $530bn. We are growing at a more faster rate than them and in less than 2-3 years from now we will have a bigger GDP.

You must be dreaming, Grow pass which country? I guess you really not in the know about what you saying? don't compare Nigeria with Switzerland in any ramification_ They just don't add up comparison-wise
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 11:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
Idrismusty97: Maybe because it is a tiny region in with a population of just over 35 thousands. That shouldn't even be a country, Germany should annex it cheesy. After all their official language is German and their cultures are similar. Lagos state is even bigger than Liechtenstein.

Bruh, Tell me something, "35k", SOUNDS Crazy you know, wait a sec, How did they manage to be a Country with such a paltry number of people?
omg! {Pushes Wiz Khalifa off the road}

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Idrismusty97(m): 12:00am On Sep 27, 2014
DonaldGenes:

You must be dreaming, Grow pass which country? I guess you really not in the know about what you saying? don't compare Nigeria with Switzerland in any ramification_ They just don't add up comparison-wise
You can compare Nigeria GDP with Switzerland but not "GDP per capital"(Their GDP per capital is way pass ours). Nigeria GDP can and will surpass Switzerland in a few years. This is base on statistics and the estimated rate at which our GDP is growing not hearsay. You can also compare Nigeria GDP with that of Poland too. Nigeria is a wealthy nation, The wealth is not just equally distributed that's why our "GDP per capital" is low. South Africa own is even bigger than ours.
- Nigeria GDP growth rate is 7.3% annual change (2013)
- Switzerland GDP growth rate is just 2.0% annual change (2013)
We have a higher chance of joining the G-20 major economies much much more than Switzerland!

Notice GDP is different from "GDP per capital".
Difference Between GDP and GDP per Capita.
http://www.differencebetween.net/business/difference-between-gdp-and-gdp-per-capita/

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by HAH: 12:27am On Sep 27, 2014
Yet switzerland is not member. Of UN or any useless comity of nations apart from sports.

I love that country
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by RayPsst(m): 2:22am On Sep 27, 2014
That bunker thing sound so unbelievable.. but Possible.

Why are they so scared of Invasion??

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by lorRhyMeZ: 6:13am On Sep 27, 2014
DonaldGenes:

What u shud have asked is how..and s answer wud have been provided..buh all the same just like the person u quoted wrote,Nigeria's GDP would surpass theirs possible in 2-3 yrs time..and yes it is very possible...and if u still think otherwise,just compare the 2 countries population stats...switzerland just like germany,sweden,norway and other highly developed countries have an aging population..with that their Gdp can remain stable for a period before it starts shrinking...Nigeria on d other hand has a population that is young and increasing...given the right economic growth stimulators like power essentially,Nigeria's Gdp would surpass many countries own in no time.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 27, 2014
I need amazing facts about Nigeria,my beloved country.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by PapiWata: 7:00am On Sep 27, 2014
Another amazing fact about Switzerland is that EVERY man over 18 is required to serve in the military, which is not remarkable on its own, HOWEVER, what sets Switzerland apart is that when that mandatory military service is over, every discharged soldier is expected to take home his military assault rifle as PERSONAL PROPERTY, which remains theirs for life.

So, while the Swiss may walk and talk softly, just remember that EVERY Swiss man packs some MAJOR firepower in the house, and is trained to use that fully automatic battle-rifle to devastating effect. Aside from perhaps Israel, there is NO other nation on earth, besides Switzerland, that deliberately puts large numbers of assault rifles in the hands of civilians.

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by BlackTechnology: 7:31am On Sep 27, 2014
PapiWata: Another amazing fact about Switzerland is that EVERY man over 18 is required to serve in the military, which is not remarkable on its own, HOWEVER, what sets Switzerland apart is that when that mandatory military service is over, every discharged soldier is expected to take home his military assault rifle as PERSONAL PROPERTY, which remains theirs for life.

So, while the Swiss may walk and talk softly, just remember that EVERY Swiss man packs some MAJOR firepower in the house, and is trained to use that fully automatic battle-rifle to devastating effect. Aside from perhaps Israel, there is NO other nation on earth, besides Switzerland, that deliberately puts large numbers of assault rifles in the hands of civilians.

God bless you for confirming my post above to be the truth.

That's why I insist that GEJ involve our higher institutions in weapons development at least for 10years to help us quickly rebuild our military arsenals with indigenous weapons which will make us less vulnerable to Western arm embargo.

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 9:06am On Sep 27, 2014
Yomieluv: I need amazing facts about Nigeria,my beloved country.
You want amazing Facts about Your country?
I do hope you have a shock Absorber close by

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 9:09am On Sep 27, 2014
PapiWata: Another amazing fact about Switzerland is that EVERY man over 18 is required to serve in the military, which is not remarkable on its own, HOWEVER, what sets Switzerland apart is that when that mandatory military service is over, every discharged soldier is expected to take home his military assault rifle as PERSONAL PROPERTY, which remains theirs for life.

That was a ton of dossier Man...No wonder people prefer to save their money over there... What a remarkable country
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 9:15am On Sep 27, 2014
BlackTechnology:

God bless you for confirming my post above to be the truth.

That's why I insist that GEJ involve our higher institutions in weapons development at least for 10years to help us quickly rebuild our military arsenals with indigenous weapons which will make us less vulnerable to Western arm embargo.

Ideally, Sounds like a noble idea to me but we can't catch up with developed countries without constant power- you know
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by Nobody: 9:20am On Sep 27, 2014
Ok I am coming back to comment
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by peleson: 9:23am On Sep 27, 2014
Nice stuff
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by hocrusoe(m): 9:40am On Sep 27, 2014
Waow... Amazing... See brain @work
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by kelechiMarie(f): 10:33am On Sep 27, 2014
.Hmmn will be back
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by BlackTechnology: 11:24am On Sep 27, 2014
DonaldGenes:

Ideally, Sounds like a noble idea to me but we can't catch up with developed countries without constant power- you know

Biafra never had constant electricity when they made some astonishing breakthrough in technological innovations and inventions

Just instruct our higher institutions with the promise to reward their efforts and you will seen results
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by dein77(m): 1:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
SMALLPENIS: Wow! Nigeria will reach that level one day ! smiley
With these current bunch of rulers, that ONE DAY may be an eternal mirage.
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by lyricalpontiff(m): 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
Cool stuff
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by DonaldGenes(m): 9:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
dein77:
With these current bunch of rulers, that ONE DAY may be an eternal mirage.

Lolzzz
Re: Some Interesting Mind Blowing Facts You Never Know About Switzerland by pazienza(m): 9:50pm On Sep 27, 2014
DonaldGenes:

Bruh, Tell me something, "35k", SOUNDS Crazy you know, wait a sec, How did they manage to be a Country with such a paltry number of people?
omg! {Pushes Wiz Khalifa off the road}

Ever heard of San marino? It is a country of 32 thousand people. My local government has about 160 thousand people in it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Real Reason Nigeria Should Delay Elections-Al Jazeera / Video Evidence : Buhari On West Germany And President Michelle / Caretaker Governor Nyesom Wike May Be Removed!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.