Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site (2424 Views)

Easiest Way To Create Your Own Wordpress E-commerce Website / Finally There's A Plugin You Can Use To Send Bulk Sms From Your Wordpress Site / Hacking: How To Back Up Your Wordpress Site To Google Drive And Restore Easily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by kingminded: 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
hello fellow nl, finally i got on nairaland after like 2 years of visiting here as a guest.... now finally i want to make my own contribution to this gathering, i want to teach us all how to build a standard website with wordpress... when i say standard i mean STANDARD

No jokes..... i just hope our admins would allow me finish this topic.

I am not here to sell any product what so every, i just want to share knowledge, if you are interested please indicate, let me have some encouragement to continue thatnks
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by Allstream: 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
Count me in.
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by havies: 10:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
Ride on boss
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by kingminded: 8:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
ok thanks bros for the encouragement.... i really do appreciate

NOW
Before we begin, let’s make a game plan!

Creating a website is a 4-step process. Everything covered in this tutorial, so I won’t leave
you stuck wondering about anything. First let’s overview all of the steps.

Step 1: Getting a Website Name and Hosting
First you’ll need to pick your website’s name.
If your website was about teaching people how to make websites, your website name will be
www.your-website-here.com, just like Google’s website name is www.google.com
To register your website name it costs about $13 per year.
The next thing we need to buy is hosting. Hosting is a computer that stores all of your website
information like pages, photos, logos and text. Without hosting, if you visited your website, you wouldn’t
see anything, it would just be a blank page.
To buy hosting is costs about $10 per month.
In total it is about $25 to start which is an amazing deal considering web developers charge
thousands of naira and you can potentially reach millions of people with your website.

Step 2: Installing WordPress
After we acquire our website name and hosting, the next step is installing WordPress. WordPress is the
technology we will be using to create your website.
WordPress is a content management system (CMS), which is just a fancy way of saying it helps you
manage your web content. Instead of having to learn computer code to make your website, all you have
to do is add text, just like you would in Microsoft Word.
WordPress has a 56.3% market share and the majority of professional web developers (like the one you’d
be hiring to build your site) now also build their clients’ websites using WordPress.

Step 3: Building Your Website
Next you will be building your website step-by-step. We will pick a design, add text and images, create
photo galleries and more. This book is guided with screenshots, so we are going to show you how to
make a specific website, but it’s easy to choose a different design and change the options as you see fit.

Step 4: Getting People To Your Website
There’s no point of having a website unless people actually see it! In this section we will show you how to get
people to your website, show up in search results, and hopefully steer you clear of some common mistakes.

are we together please feel free to ask any question at any time,

I would continue from here tomorrow.......... have a good night rest my ogas at the top
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by Johninyang(m): 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2014
@kingminded, pls I need private turtorial. Add me up on bbm 28B379F7 or whtsapp 07031627397. Thanks & God bless
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by biggmusty(m): 10:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
Wnt mind private tut too... Here is ma pin:285D664B
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by jonnyboy4u: 11:43pm On Sep 28, 2014
Please don't forget to mention the security area. Like how to protect your wordpress from hackers.

Thanks.

[/img]http://www.qservers.net/process/?aff=021[/img]
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by kingminded: 11:51pm On Sep 29, 2014
yes welcome to class two.... today was really stressful just got home and decided to update us a bit.. and as for those dropping pin i really dont know how i would do a 1 on 1 tutorial via bbm, but anyway i would think of a way probably skype would make more sense

now straight to business

1.Getting Your Website Name and Hosting.

There are thousands of companies on the web that offer domain names (www.your-website-here.com) and hosting (where you store your website information).

But i recommend using HostGator, using HostGator is by far the easiest option for following this guide. We’ve also found HostGator’s
support and service to be outstanding throughout the years.

If, for whatever reason, you choose not to use HostGator, then be sure adhere to the following 7 Musts
when choosing a hosting company. So if you’re not going with HostGator, you’ll need to improvise on some sections.

Below is a list of 7 Musts when choosing a web host:

1 - They must backup your website so you never lose your website information.
2 - They must have 99.9% up-time or more so your website is always online.
3 - They must have a money back guarantee.
4 - They must have a 1-click WordPress installation.
5 - They must have great reviews online.
6 - They must have free live chat 24-hours a day.
7 - They must also offer phone support and email support just in case you need to speak to someone
on the phone.

Let’s move on and acquire your website name and secure hosting for your new website!

Go to hostgator.com.
Click View Web Hosting Plans.Select a plan,I recommend the Baby Plan because it’s the least expensive while also allowing you to host as many websites as you want.
Essentially, you could have 100 websites on this plan, If you know for sure that you only need one website, then go with the Hatchling Plan. You can always upgrade if you need to create another site,Select a billing cycle. I recommend paying monthly.

HostGator allows different billing cycles. The longer you pay in advance, the less expensive it is. It doesn’t cost too much more to pay monthly and if HostGator one day doesn’t provide the excellent service it’s known for, you can switch to another hosting company without waiting a whole year.

Click Order Now.

Type in your website name, also called a domain name, into the box.
We recommend buying a .com unless someone has already purchased your domain name and it’s not available. If that’s the case, create a variation!

Confirm you’ve selected the package and billing cycle that you want.
Create a username and security PIN for HostGator. Enter your billing information If your country does not issue credit cards, you can pay with PayPal.

HostGator will let you know if your site is available or not. They’ll also suggest variations of your domain name, such as YourWebsite.net or
YourWebsite.org.

Note:
.com = commercial/business
.net = network
.org = recommended for non-profits
.edu = school/university
.gov = government

Fill everything as required and Lastly, check the box: I have read and agree to the terms and conditions of use.

Click Create Account.

Note:
SiteLock is checked by default. I recommend unchecking it to save money, but you can read about it and decide what you want for your website.

The next page is a confirmation page: print or write down your confirmation number and close the page. You should get an email within 5 minutes (it’s usually sent right away) confirming your purchase.
The email contains important information for setting up your site, so go to your email inbox and open the email,You’re now ready to move forward with creating your site!

Next is INSTALLING AND SETTING UP THE WORD PRESS ITS SELF..... this is the koko of it all stay tuned

Good night and see ya all tomorrow
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by Luminexa: 3:40am On Oct 01, 2014
Great Advice, all of the above is so important. A great wordpress theme is also goood for seo.

<a href="http://www.luminexacreativemultipurpose.com">Wordpress Theme</a>
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 01, 2014
@OP I think the topic should be Hosting your wordpress online.. You cant tell a newbie to start developing his own website online first without going through the localhost system first.. Its a waste of Bandwidth and risky doing trial and errors on a live site..
They should start with Localhost first, know how to navigate via the dashboard, edit themes and post, create menus and submenus and also learn how to install Plugins that'll aid in site functionality.
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by kingminded: 12:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
Djangocode: @OP I think the topic should be Hosting your wordpress online.. You cant tell a newbie to start developing his own website online first without going through the localhost system first.. Its a waste of Bandwidth and risky doing trial and errors on a live site..
They should start with Localhost first, know how to navigate via the dashboard, edit themes and post, create menus and submenus and also learn how to install
Plugins that'll aid in site functionality.

Ok thanks... I understand what u re tlkin abt bt for sake of simplicity let's do it this way
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by kingminded: 12:38pm On Oct 01, 2014
How are we? If u re following represent so I continue.... I cnt b doing it alone.... need small encouragemnt
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by onasa28(m): 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
I LOVE WHAT U GUYS ARE DOING. I WILL LIKE TO ADVICE THE OP, I THINK THE BEST WAY TO TEACH THE NOVICE IN THE HOUSE IS TO TEACH ON HOW TO INSTALL THE WORDPRESS WITH XAMPP OR WAMP,THEN TEACH THEM HOW TO PLAY WITH THE WORDPRESS ENVIROMENT(LIKE WORKING ON THEMES AND PLUGINS) THEN MOVE TO HOW TO TRANSFER LOCALHOST SERVER TO LIVE SERVER. THAT IS MY ADVICE.
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by Vicben(m): 9:06pm On Dec 22, 2014
Has this class closed?
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by namo(m): 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2014
please has this class closed?
Re: TUTORIAL: Create Your Own Wordpress Site by Donalleh(m): 9:19am On Dec 23, 2014
Please I need some one that will help me set my SEO for www.youthslog.com

(1) (Reply)

Generate & Validate MTN Recharge Pins Free / I Just Got My Adsense Approval For My Two Month Blog Within A Week Pictures / Backlinks To Your Forum, Blog, Website Or Page? Read This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.