Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,147 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

"I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) (5071 Views)

(photos) 11 People That Took Tattoos To Another Dimension..incredible!! / Nigerian Boarding School Experiences / I Lost My Jamb Registration Slip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by NifemiOlu(m): 3:09am On Sep 28, 2014
'I was told I'm a bad example to children.'
I'm 35 and quite heavily tattooed. I had a job as a mid-day assistant at a school. I was taken on having tattoos and facial piercings which during the winter months was fine as I was covered up, but when the summer arrived my arms were on show. I was promptly issued with a "standards of dress" guide. It said that visible tattoos and facial piercings were not setting a good example and should be covered up. This was the first bit of communication I had received during my job. After a week or so I went to see the headmaster and resigned with immediate effect. He had called me in to have meetings with personnel over the issues I had raised, but I didn't feel I wanted to work in a place that discriminates against tattoos and piercings and I don't believe I should have to fight to justify that I'm a hard worker and a decent person. I feel sad that children grow up being taught these shallow-minded views.
Karla Valentine, Suffolk, UK

'I had my working hours cut'
My old boss was against body modifications because of her religious beliefs. I was constantly harassed about my piercings and tattoos. I had hours cut after getting my tattoos, even though they aren't visible. I have both feet done as well, but always wear socks and shoes. I work in childcare and was told that even out in public I had to keep appearances up, so to keep covered, because I might see the children I looked after outside hours. In my uniform you can't see my tattoos. As I keep it professional but I've been told that I'm unapproachable and scary with tattoos and piercings and that could lose potential clients to the business.
Sam, Brisbane, Australia

'I was told to cover up'
I have both full sleeves and my previous employer stated you had to cover all tattoos when in work hours, which I found wrong because other members of staff were allowed to wear earrings which is another form of body modification. One rule for one et al. I now work for a company that does not discriminate against tattoos. I am currently a contract manager for a hospital. In my previous job I was an operations manager where their policies stated that all tattoos had to be covered up at all times. This included any contractor working on site.
Jef, Teddington, UK

'My job interview was terminated'
I'm a heavily tattooed 20-year-old girl. About a year and a half ago, in 2012, I applied for a job as a waitress. It was a half telephone interview, half seeing when you're free. It was going fine. The employer started talking about the uniform. When he said it was short-sleeved, as soon as I said I had my arms tattooed, he just hung up. I was working as a shop assistant in a mobile phone shop when a customer started screaming in my face. They had some problems with their top-up I was trying to help them with but they had bought it from another shop and I couldn't give them a refund. They completely switched."You've only got this job because you've got tattoos," they shouted. They were saying I was disgusting and I'd let down the company. And then walked out of the shop, so I went round the back and cried. I have had awards for my customer service and in that shop my manager had sleeves, my other manager had a neck tattoo. I'm not rude or horrible. I don't do drugs or anything. I work hard, pay bills, do charity work for animals and yet they call me disgusting names for no reasons. The art I have isn't even offensive. Just cause I'm heavily tattooed doesn't mean I'm nasty, scary or stupid.
Amii Parr, Reading, UK

'I missed out on a promotion'
On my 18th birthday I got a half-sleeve and my boss immediately denied me the promotion he promised me even though some of my co-workers had much more visible tattoos and piercings. I quit a month later. He didn't say directly that it was because of my tattoo, but the comments he made toward me made it clear he didn't like it. He asked me if I was crazy for getting it and why my parents would let me do this to myself. He also said it's very dark (I don't really know if he meant dark as in black or dark as in creepy) and that I'm better for in the kitchen rather then being a waitress.
Emily, Wisconsin, USA

If you're not planning to be self-employed, I think you may need to think twice before getting a tattoo.

NOTE: The above isn't my story. It's a story of 5 different people. Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Nastydroid(m): 3:17am On Sep 28, 2014
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by egopersonified(f): 4:59am On Sep 28, 2014
Surprised no one sued. Even in Nigeria, I know of a guy who was having issues being transferred to some organisations becos of his tattoo, he actually burnt his body to erase the tattoo, so the tattoo looks like a scar now.
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by tomiobj(m): 5:30am On Sep 28, 2014
You have your rights. Call ur lawyer and sue them. I guarantee you'll make nt less than 2000 pounds as long as ur a good employee
NifemiOlu: 'I was told I'm a bad example to children.'
I'm 35 and quite heavily tattooed. I had a job as a mid-day assistant at a school. I was taken on having tattoos and facial piercings which during the winter months was fine as I was covered up, but when the summer arrived my arms were on show. I was promptly issued with a "standards of dress" guide. It said that visible tattoos and facial piercings were not setting a good example and should be covered up. This was the first bit of communication I had received during my job. After a week or so I went to see the headmaster and resigned with immediate effect. He had called me in to have meetings with personnel over the issues I had raised, but I didn't feel I wanted to work in a place that discriminates against tattoos and piercings and I don't believe I should have to fight to justify that I'm a hard worker and a decent person. I feel sad that children grow up being taught these shallow-minded views.
Karla Valentine, Suffolk, UK

'I had my working hours cut'
My old boss was against body modifications because of her religious beliefs. I was constantly harassed about my piercings and tattoos. I had hours cut after getting my tattoos, even though they aren't visible. I have both feet done as well, but always wear socks and shoes. I work in childcare and was told that even out in public I had to keep appearances up, so to keep covered, because I might see the children I looked after outside hours. In my uniform you can't see my tattoos. As I keep it professional but I've been told that I'm unapproachable and scary with tattoos and piercings and that could lose potential clients to the business.
Sam, Brisbane, Australia

'I was told to cover up'
I have both full sleeves and my previous employer stated you had to cover all tattoos when in work hours, which I found wrong because other members of staff were allowed to wear earrings which is another form of body modification. One rule for one et al. I now work for a company that does not discriminate against tattoos. I am currently a contract manager for a hospital. In my previous job I was an operations manager where their policies stated that all tattoos had to be covered up at all times. This included any contractor working on site.
Jef, Teddington, UK

'My job interview was terminated'
I'm a heavily tattooed 20-year-old girl. About a year and a half ago, in 2012, I applied for a job as a waitress. It was a half telephone interview, half seeing when you're free. It was going fine. The employer started talking about the uniform. When he said it was short-sleeved, as soon as I said I had my arms tattooed, he just hung up. I was working as a shop assistant in a mobile phone shop when a customer started screaming in my face. They had some problems with their top-up I was trying to help them with but they had bought it from another shop and I couldn't give them a refund. They completely switched."You've only got this job because you've got tattoos," they shouted. They were saying I was disgusting and I'd let down the company. And then walked out of the shop, so I went round the back and cried. I have had awards for my customer service and in that shop my manager had sleeves, my other manager had a neck tattoo. I'm not rude or horrible. I don't do drugs or anything. I work hard, pay bills, do charity work for animals and yet they call me disgusting names for no reasons. The art I have isn't even offensive. Just cause I'm heavily tattooed doesn't mean I'm nasty, scary or stupid.
Amii Parr, Reading, UK

'I missed out on a promotion'
On my 18th birthday I got a half-sleeve and my boss immediately denied me the promotion he promised me even though some of my co-workers had much more visible tattoos and piercings. I quit a month later. He didn't say directly that it was because of my tattoo, but the comments he made toward me made it clear he didn't like it. He asked me if I was crazy for getting it and why my parents would let me do this to myself. He also said it's very dark (I don't really know if he meant dark as in black or dark as in creepy) and that I'm better for in the kitchen rather then being a waitress.
Emily, Wisconsin, USA

If you're not planning to be self-employed, I think you may need to think twice before getting a tattoo.
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Sunymoore(m): 5:31am On Sep 28, 2014
Leveticus
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by MrPeaceman(m): 6:06am On Sep 28, 2014
Having tattoos doesn't depict a sense of responsibility. Ofcourse; he will influence the children negatively, @the first example. It is synonymous with indecent dressing, and most people that are guilty of it are indecent. They can't sue the companies; the companies have the right to give terms and conditions of work, as well as dressing/appearance codes etc, as they so desire. When I see young people of nowadays drawing tattoos and piercing their body, immitating stars that have already made name for themselves. I don't laugh, I feel sorry for them. They lack foresight. If only they could see the impending consequences.

16 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by April07: 6:08am On Sep 28, 2014
tomiobj: You have your rights. Call ur lawyer and sue them. I guarantee you'll make nt less than 2000 pounds as long as ur a good employee

Yes.. but if the contract you signed with the company or organisation clearly states that you can't have tattoos then there's nothing you can do about it.

But why tattoo your sleeves heavily and go work with kids? not cool.. even if you're such a nice person, the more reason why the kids would want to copy you.

6 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Mrval20(m): 6:24am On Sep 28, 2014
If you're not a footballer/musician or entertainer of any kind, why on earth would you get a tattoo and probably piercings (lawd have mercy, this one makes me wanna puke!) of any kind?
I know it doesn't mean you're a looser but believe me, it doesn't make you look like someone who have plans to succeed and live a professional life in the future; outside entertainment, that is.
The discrimination you guys face now is just the beginning, I hope the younger folks really learn from this.
You copy musicians who're already rich and made for life without thinking about your own future. Smh.

7 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 28, 2014
What will you say if the President wears a tatoo. It will shows lost of direction.

Always think of tomorrow cos it will direct today.

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 28, 2014
tomiobj: You have your rights. Call ur lawyer and sue them. I guarantee you'll make nt less than 2000 pounds as long as ur a good employee
do you have to quote the OP's whole long write-up before commenting? angry ... And you be big olodo sef if you think those experiences actually happened to the OP. Obviously the story na copy and paste.

5 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by christopher123(m): 7:22am On Sep 28, 2014
How can you get a responsible job with tattoo
How can you get a responsible relationship with tattoo
How can you get a responsible future with tattoo

Your a loser if you tattoo

4 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Sanguine(f): 7:34am On Sep 28, 2014
First of all before I comment.
Pictures of the ''heavily tatooed body'' or the Op doesn' even exist at all...

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by adonbilivit: 7:43am On Sep 28, 2014
tattoo equals taboo in naija cos most of us are intolerant and hypocritical. this is AFRICA. live and learn
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by IdomaLikita: 7:46am On Sep 28, 2014
What exactly is irresponsible about body markings?
My Two Grandmothers tattooed their Skins elaborately with African traditional Patterns and it doesn't make them less responsible!
An Un-tattooed will Rot after Death, so would a tattooed one. So what's the justification for the discrimination?
Apart from the Health Risk that goes with using Unsterilized instruments in tattooing, I see absolutely nothing wrong in it!

2 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by NifemiOlu(m): 7:52am On Sep 28, 2014
cheesy
Can't stop laughing. So some peeps think it actually happened to me. Well, the post is a collection of 5 people's experiences with where they live. People should learn to read between the lines. Every paragraph belongs to different people in different places.
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 28, 2014
Its simply the way you dress,is the way you will be addressed.

I won't condemn,nor encourage it.

If you can live by it,no qualms.

3 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by ednut1(m): 8:06am On Sep 28, 2014
if u plan to work in the corporate word get tattoo that can be hidden. i have a Japanese tatto on my hand. i cover it up and dont wear short sleeve to work. shikena

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Ellidude(m): 8:07am On Sep 28, 2014
A funny but weird post!

Hey bro come on. Don't tell me you think piercings and tattooing is actually a show of decency? Even if they so love those acts, at least it should be in a part of their body which could be hidden. A strange world indeed.

2 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by generalissimo(m): 8:15am On Sep 28, 2014
MrPeaceman: Having tattoos doesn't depict a sense of responsibility. Ofcourse; he will influence the children negatively, @the first example. It is synonymous with indecent dressing, and most people that are guilty of it are indecent. They can't sue the companies; the companies have the right to give terms and conditions of work, as well as dressing/appearance codes etc, as they so desire. When I see young people of nowadays drawing tattoos and piercing their body, immitating stars that have already made name for themselves. I don't laugh, I feel sorry for them. They lack foresight. If only they could see the impending consequences.
You have spoken well. The general society believe that people with tattoos have issues ranging from rebellion to sense of irresponsibility. And they are right to some extent cos we see majority of people with body piercing and tattos and the personalities they portray. It's a sheer lack of foresight or just being naive or rebellious that will make anyone wanna get a tattoo or pierce the body even after considering the societal stigma attached to it

3 Likes

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by RaphaellaDD(f): 8:24am On Sep 28, 2014
Firstly, I have no problem whatsoever with tattoos. It's a personal decision and it's not any other person's body. As long as the tattoo has meaning to the owner of the body, it's not your concern.
Secondly, tattoos in some areas are part of their culture. So whining about people tattooing their bodies while we mark our children's faces in Nigeria, is hypocrisy.

P.s Dwayne The Rock Johnson, Leati Anoa'i and The Fatu's are all Samoan and tattoos are part of their culture, I know nairalanders like pictures so.... cheesy

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by generalissimo(m): 8:25am On Sep 28, 2014
adonbilivit: tattoo equals taboo in naija cos most of us are intolerant and hypocritical. this is AFRICA. live and learn
Hey! Pishures of all u've just said now or adonbilivit grin

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by MrPeaceman(m): 8:27am On Sep 28, 2014
generalissimo: You have spoken well. The general society believe that people with tattoos have issues ranging from rebellion to sense of irresponsibility. And they are right to some extent cos we see majority of people with body piercing and tattos and the personalities they portray. It's a sheer lack of foresight or just being naive or rebellious that will make anyone wanna get a tattoo or pierce the body even after considering the societal stigma attached to it
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by generalissimo(m): 8:36am On Sep 28, 2014
ednut1: if u plan to work in the corporate word get tattoo that can be hidden. i have a Japanese tatto on my hand. i cover it up and dont wear short sleeve to work. shikena
What is the beauty of tattos if u cannot show it off? Or is ur tatto 'for ur eyes only' or 'it's my body and I can do what I like with it'? I bet u didnt know the implications before getting it. U just did copy copy n got urself one....now dat u know the implications, u cover it up.....I will tell tongue
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by generalissimo(m): 8:41am On Sep 28, 2014
NifemiOlu: cheesy
Can't stop laughing. So some peeps think it actually happened to me. Well, the post is a collection of 5 people's experiences with where they live. People should learn to read between the lines. Every paragraph belongs to different people in different places.
Omo iya Olu, I trust u, u dare not get tatto or mama Olu throws u outa the house grin
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by ednut1(m): 8:42am On Sep 28, 2014
generalissimo: What is the beauty of tattos if u cannot show it off? Or is ur tatto 'for ur eyes only' or 'it's my body and I can do what I like with it'? I bet u didnt know the implications before getting it. U just did copy copy n got urself one....now dat u know the implications, u cover it up.....I will tell tongue
for my eyes on hehehe

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by NifemiOlu(m): 8:47am On Sep 28, 2014
generalissimo: Omo iya Olu, I trust u, u dare not get tatto or mama Olu throws u outa the house grin

Hahaha... cheesy
Tattoo isn't my thing. My grandmas had when they were alive but if we look at the 'function' of tattoo those days, we would see it's totally different now. But as I've said, I'm just neutral to it, just trying to let peeps know if they want to get a job or keep a job, they may want to think twice

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 28, 2014
NifemiOlu:

Hahaha... cheesy
Tattoo isn't my thing. My grandmas had when they were alive but if we look at the 'function' of tattoo those days, we would see it's totally different now.
what was the use of tattoo back then?
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by generalissimo(m): 8:54am On Sep 28, 2014
IdomaLikita: What exactly is irresponsible about body markings?
My Two Grandmothers tattooed their Skins elaborately with African traditional Patterns and it doesn't make them less responsible!
An Un-tattooed will Rot after Death, so would a tattooed one. So what's the justification for the discrimination?
Apart from the Health Risk that goes with using Unsterilized instruments in tattooing, I see absolutely nothing wrong in it!

Thank God that everyone is entitled to his/her opinions. U see, go and tatto urself from ur head to ur toes and wait to be hired in a corporate world. Having ink on your body isnt what makes u irresponsible but knowing that people in the corporate world see it as a sign of irresponsibility and still didnt mind getting one is. U sounded like u've never heard of the saying that ''the way u dress with determine the way u'll be addressed''. The Op's cited cases even happened in developed countries not to mention.......
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by nwaobitex: 8:54am On Sep 28, 2014
tatoo sucks
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by capip120(m): 8:56am On Sep 28, 2014
Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Chai!!! Holy.

1 Like

Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by sakaguchi(m): 9:06am On Sep 28, 2014
R
Re: "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 28, 2014
Tattoos aren't necessarily bad, but in most societies, it portrays the wearer as a lowlifer, miscreant and what not. This sentiment is also shared by most corporate organizations, so to be safe, its better to shun tattoos and piercings but if you must tattoo ur body do it in moderation and in parts of ur body that can be covered...it is better to be safe than sorry

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Register For Cambridge O And A Level Exams In Nigeria? / Advanced Diploma And Hnd / 6 Things That Hinder You From Discovering Your Purpose In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.