Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? (22433 Views)

Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. / The Pitiable State Of The Nigerian Universities / The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by NifemiOlu(m): 9:11am On Dec 23, 2014
seunkeji5:
[quote author=NifemiOlu post=291223

with pgd in education cant one be able to venture into teaching

With PGDE, you're qualified to teach.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by marquiseT(f): 12:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
Me sef wan bookspace
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by InglishTeechar(m): 12:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
onihaxy:
Abike had three potential boyfriends/ suitors well known by her mother, the first is a medical student in final year, the second guy is a student engineer while the third is a school teacher with 5years experience. Along the line, Abike got pregnant and the mother got to know about it. She was compelled to tell who owns the pregnancy. The mother was shocked to death when abike told her that the pregnancy belongs to the school teacher.
"School what!!!!!!!"
"With 13,000 monthly salary!!!!"
"That wretched boy!!!!!"
"You must be stupid!!!"
"Chaiii, this teacher had charmed my daughter ooooooooo, !!!".
Mama abike yelled at abike. Abike replied "mama, why now?, I was expecting you to be happy that he is a working class compared with the rest".
"You dey craze??"
"What does a teacher have to offer?"
" I still prefer the student doctor or engineer"
"Don't you know how much they will earn when they graduate?"
"Their 6 months salary will be more than the entire 5years salary of that miserable teacher".
"We must abort this pregnancy".
point one, potential mother inlaws and the society at large looked down on teachers .

Back in university days, I actually wanted to study chemistry. But because I didn't know any oga at the top, neither do I have anybody to help me with my admission, I was given chemistry education instead of chemistry major. I was happy that at least, I was an undergraduate. But along the line, I found out that 95% of the entire student of faculty of education didn't fill education as their favourite course except for few who came in through direct entry from colleges of educations. Everyone was there by one accident or the other. Mostly because they couldn't meet up with cut-off marks of their desired courses. And offcourse, faculty of education has the lowest cutoff mark in my school.
point two, the school authority decided to ridiculed teaching courses by pushing people with low intellect into it and making its cut-off mark so ridiculous

In my 100level and 200level days, I discovered that most students are ashamed to tell people outside that they were studying education at the university. Infact, most parents didn't know that their wards are into education courses. People who studied chemistry edu would claim to study pure chemistry, people who studied accounting edu would claimed that they were accountants instead of EDUCATORS. Even during teaching practise, students will always lie that they are doing Industrial training.
point three, the education students themselves are feeling inferior while in school

After my university days before I went for NYSC, I decided to apply for a teaching job in order to occupy myself. I was shocked when private schools owners were saying they would pay me 10,000naira. I was annoyed and angry with myself. I was like "will banks, engineering company, even common pure water company pay 10,000 to degree holders?" And in this same school, each students pays 30,000naira as school fees ooooo. How do I plan a life, get married and raise children with 10,000monthly salary even if I decided to see it as a career?
point four, private schools owners are stingy and not ready to pay good salary

Ok, I cajoled the school owner and decided to negotiate better with him. I begged him to increase the pay to 20,000naira. He yelled at me "what, 20k?, I will share that amount among 5 corpers monthly and they would be willing to work hard. So why should I pay you 20k when I would share the same amount among 5 people?, see ogbeni, every 3 months, governments sends many corpers here, check the staff room, you would see like 6 corpers sitting there. So if you can't take the 10,000 monthly, you can go away. I left the school with bitterness.
point five, federal government has ridiculed teaching profession by throwing 99% of mobilised corpers to schools, even those that didn't study education as a course and offcourse, graduate applicants are treated like a shit.
I was having a gist with a lawyer friend sometimes ago and the issue of teacher and other profession came up. He told me that "onihaxy, do you know why teaching profession will forever remain in low recognition and low societal respect?, no matter how good you are as an activist, no matter how outspoken you are, you can never stand in a law court as a lawyer if you don't study law and pass out from law school. Same thing with doctors, if you don't go through medical school, you can never get the licence to practice as a doctor even if you learn the skills from the best hospital in the world. Same with engineering. Julius berger can never employ you to work for him as an engineer if you studied mass communication. But in teaching field, you would see people from various facet of life applying and getting employed as a teacher. So tell me, how do you expect such field to be seriously recognised and respected?. I was dumb-folded.
point six, teaching service is filled with people who mostly doesn't study education related courses.

I have a teacher friend who is always in the habit of grumbling always. He is getting a good pay of 30,000 from his school+various lessons job. But he would still grumbled of not satisfied. I told him point blank. "Ogbeni, why not quit this job if you know that you aren't satisfied with it". He replied " do you think I'm happy teaching?, I'm just using it to keep myself busy until I get my dream job".
point seven, teaching profession is filled with people who are frustrated because they had lost their hopes in getting their dreamed job and consoling themselves with the teaching job.
Another thing I noticed is the rate at which mushroom schools are spreading around in my area. I have seen a whole primary one to primary six using a 2 bedroom flat building, I have seen a whole jss1 to sss3 of a school using a 3bedroom flat building. Then no doubt, the teachers in such schools would remain poor till jesus come. What is wrong with the educational sector setting standards for school establishments?,
point eight, mushroom schools, another major problem of making teachers a poverty description entity.

Over to you nairalanders, what do you think is the best way to revitalise teaching profession and career to make it stand among its medical, engineering and banking sector?. Even common agricultural sector is now getting more respect than the teaching profession.

Op...its obvious you are not well informed, teachers earn better salaries these days i.e all top ten private schools in lagos pay between 120k to 250k monthly for entry point while experienced teachers earn as much as 300k monthly.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Cool83(m): 12:34pm On Dec 23, 2014
Numerouuuno:
The teaching profession is a really bad career line to take in this country,I really pity the teachers of government schools, they are worse off,the only way of letting their frustration out is to beat students to coma....and other extreme measures.
forwarding this article to national dailies won't be bad too.
Every great move starts with awareness,the national dailies could help in that aspect.
my chairman, teaching in govt sch is not that bad, one of my oga earn close to 250k per month, how i wish NUT/ASUSS take up the challenges like the way ASUU is doing for univ lecturers
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Chuksemi(m): 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
eyinjuege:

Most Nigerians cannot afford to send their wards to such schools, thus "petty" schools it is for such especially when your average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar a day
That's where free education comes in, government schools should employ qualified teachers, pay very well and get a functioning disciplinary council to monitor lackadaisical teachers. And that stuff about a dollar a day isn't true, that's just a world bank propaganda. The emphasis here is the employment of qualified educators.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by TOOTSIEPOOPSIE(m): 3:05pm On Dec 23, 2014
onihaxy:
Abike had three potential boyfriends/ suitors well known by her mother, the first is a medical student in final year, the second guy is a student engineer while the third is a school teacher with 5years experience. Along the line, Abike got pregnant and the mother got to know about it. She was compelled to tell who owns the pregnancy. The mother was shocked to death when abike told her that the pregnancy belongs to the school teacher.
"School what!!!!!!!"
"With 13,000 monthly salary!!!!"
"That wretched boy!!!!!"
"You must be stupid!!!"
"Chaiii, this teacher had charmed my daughter ooooooooo, !!!".
Mama abike yelled at abike. Abike replied "mama, why now?, I was expecting you to be happy that he is a working class compared with the rest".
"You dey craze??"
"What does a teacher have to offer?"
" I still prefer the student doctor or engineer"
"Don't you know how much they will earn when they graduate?"
"Their 6 months salary will be more than the entire 5years salary of that miserable teacher".
"We must abort this pregnancy".
point one, potential mother inlaws and the society at large looked down on teachers .

Back in university days, I actually wanted to study chemistry. But because I didn't know any oga at the top, neither do I have anybody to help me with my admission, I was given chemistry education instead of chemistry major. I was happy that at least, I was an undergraduate. But along the line, I found out that 95% of the entire student of faculty of education didn't fill education as their favourite course except for few who came in through direct entry from colleges of educations. Everyone was there by one accident or the other. Mostly because they couldn't meet up with cut-off marks of their desired courses. And offcourse, faculty of education has the lowest cutoff mark in my school.
point two, the school authority decided to ridiculed teaching courses by pushing people with low intellect into it and making its cut-off mark so ridiculous

In my 100level and 200level days, I discovered that most students are ashamed to tell people outside that they were studying education at the university. Infact, most parents didn't know that their wards are into education courses. People who studied chemistry edu would claim to study pure chemistry, people who studied accounting edu would claimed that they were accountants instead of EDUCATORS. Even during teaching practise, students will always lie that they are doing Industrial training.
point three, the education students themselves are feeling inferior while in school

After my university days before I went for NYSC, I decided to apply for a teaching job in order to occupy myself. I was shocked when private schools owners were saying they would pay me 10,000naira. I was annoyed and angry with myself. I was like "will banks, engineering company, even common pure water company pay 10,000 to degree holders?" And in this same school, each students pays 30,000naira as school fees ooooo. How do I plan a life, get married and raise children with 10,000monthly salary even if I decided to see it as a career?
point four, private schools owners are stingy and not ready to pay good salary

Ok, I cajoled the school owner and decided to negotiate better with him. I begged him to increase the pay to 20,000naira. He yelled at me "what, 20k?, I will share that amount among 5 corpers monthly and they would be willing to work hard. So why should I pay you 20k when I would share the same amount among 5 people?, see ogbeni, every 3 months, governments sends many corpers here, check the staff room, you would see like 6 corpers sitting there. So if you can't take the 10,000 monthly, you can go away. I left the school with bitterness.
point five, federal government has ridiculed teaching profession by throwing 99% of mobilised corpers to schools, even those that didn't study education as a course and offcourse, graduate applicants are treated like a shit.
I was having a gist with a lawyer friend sometimes ago and the issue of teacher and other profession came up. He told me that "onihaxy, do you know why teaching profession will forever remain in low recognition and low societal respect?, no matter how good you are as an activist, no matter how outspoken you are, you can never stand in a law court as a lawyer if you don't study law and pass out from law school. Same thing with doctors, if you don't go through medical school, you can never get the licence to practice as a doctor even if you learn the skills from the best hospital in the world. Same with engineering. Julius berger can never employ you to work for him as an engineer if you studied mass communication. But in teaching field, you would see people from various facet of life applying and getting employed as a teacher. So tell me, how do you expect such field to be seriously recognised and respected?. I was dumb-folded.
point six, teaching service is filled with people who mostly doesn't study education related courses.

I have a teacher friend who is always in the habit of grumbling always. He is getting a good pay of 30,000 from his school+various lessons job. But he would still grumbled of not satisfied. I told him point blank. "Ogbeni, why not quit this job if you know that you aren't satisfied with it". He replied " do you think I'm happy teaching?, I'm just using it to keep myself busy until I get my dream job".
point seven, teaching profession is filled with people who are frustrated because they had lost their hopes in getting their dreamed job and consoling themselves with the teaching job.
Another thing I noticed is the rate at which mushroom schools are spreading around in my area. I have seen a whole primary one to primary six using a 2 bedroom flat building, I have seen a whole jss1 to sss3 of a school using a 3bedroom flat building. Then no doubt, the teachers in such schools would remain poor till jesus come. What is wrong with the educational sector setting standards for school establishments?,
point eight, mushroom schools, another major problem of making teachers a poverty description entity.

Over to you nairalanders, what do you think is the best way to revitalise teaching profession and career to make it stand among its medical, engineering and banking sector?. Even common agricultural sector is now getting more respect than the teaching profession.
idiot!....what do you mean by "common agricultural sector"....it even pays more than some law related sectors sef
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by ayurdavid: 5:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
InglishTeechar:

Op...its obvious you are not well informed, teachers earn better salaries these days i.e all top ten private schools in lagos pay between 120k to 250k monthly for entry point while experienced teachers earn as much as 300k monthly.
you quote this long epistle to write just few lines of trash?! u need help!
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by jubriano93(m): 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2014
I'm not interested in long epistle, I don't even know how to write one. Buh the illustrated problem starts wt samwan like u; look at ur last sentence...
onihaxy:
Even common agricultural sector is now getting more respect than the teaching profession.
If agricultural sector can be 'common' to u, I dunno why education sector cannot be 'mere' to samwan else.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by dahmie2013: 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2014
OP, dat was a brilliant way of presenting it. U'll make a good teacher u know.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by InglishTeechar(m): 11:41am On Dec 26, 2014
ayurdavid:

you quote this long epistle to write just few lines of trash?! u need help!

Mumu, so you prefer long and meaningless epistle to short and meaningful lines. You really need to go to mountain of fire for deliverance on new years eve, cuz the situation of your mental sickness must not follow you into 2015…not for you but for the innocent people you will infect with your desease.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Kemmystar: 9:38pm On Apr 17, 2017
Mehn, i like diz write up. Nice one
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Kemmystar: 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2017
Nice post
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 15, 2020
Mayour11:

It's true, but this is Nigeria, the giant of Africa. You know what I mean
I don't know what you meant. What do you meant? How is Nigeria giANT of Africa?
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 15, 2020
Okaka27:
Just patiently wait for GMB to take over

Corruption must go! angry
And change must comecome angry

#TeamGMB

Now that Buha.ri has taken over. Has corruption now gone? Has change come?
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2020
PehaKaso:
An uneducated mallam is aspiring 2 govern Nigeria & educated fools are excited. Now if such an illiterate succeeds, what will be his attitude towards the education sector, since he could get to the top without proper education? I need answers pls.
GEJ TILL BUHARI PASS WAEC!
Your Prophecy has come to pass.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Skydweller(m): 10:18pm On Oct 15, 2020
One of the wishes I have in life is to become a big gun in the government so I can make necessary corrections in the educational sector. There are so many ills in the sector that needed urgent intervention. God help me. Amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: No End In Sight / How Does UNICAL Calculate Their 4.0 Grading System? / Was Your Name Ever Written Among The Noise Makers In Class?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.