Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,131 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? (1922 Views)

What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? / The Hard Truth About Your Salary / Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by dearie(m): 1:52am On Jul 30, 2006
A lot of people believe that those with lofty dreams must be employers of labour or business men,and not be employees, that so long as you earn salaries, there is a limit to how much you can acquire (in properties) and how far you can go (in Status).

Do you think it is true?
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by diddy4(m): 2:24am On Jul 30, 2006
depends on the type of business. i mean, not all business pays the same kind of salary. those in oil business can smile all day cuzz they got it going. You need not be an employer to attain a particular status.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Viper(m): 8:44am On Aug 02, 2006
yes, you need to be an employer to be able to enjoy the status of your dreams.
Except your dreams are little, you can't attain such dreams by being under an employer. If you work in a one mans business, then worse for you. This is not always the case though, because, you can be working for someone and get a personal contract through the job that can make you richer than your boss, now thats what i have been searching for grin
To add, the dream of a man increases as he grows.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by micklplus(m): 8:56am On Aug 02, 2006
Well, it is possible to achieve the very lofty height as an employee though, the level in which that could go is just limited unlike the employers of labour, in the sense that, their income is out of bound and there's no boundary to what they earn !

Employees also can make lot of return even with the fact that, they aint employers of labour. In the present day naija, a top executive in a good establishment would almost be able to attain any lofty height like any employer of labour ! A good and well grounded establishment is synonymous to good pay thereby, making it possible for employees to attain almost the same level of lofty height with any employer.

Cheers
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by theORAKU(m): 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2006
SALARY?
Is just money to get u coming to work everyday.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by DemolaBad(m): 12:16pm On Aug 02, 2006
In my opinion, it is matter of a man's convictions/visions.
You can attain whatever lofty heights you choose, whether employed or an employer.

How high you are dreams are is all your choice. How far you're willing to go to attain that height is your choice too.
In the words of (I think)Robert Kiyosaki: Mind your business. I believe this is gotten from his book, think and grow rich.
He says you can be an employee and still run your own biz. i believe that.
There are lots of people who earn a salary but hardly need to touch it. Why? cos most times, there is a business within the business (get what I mean?).

It all depends on your perception. really, how do you see? And WHAT do you see?

What do you have that you can use NOW to increase your wealth and by much?
I think there are few good books to read on this subject. I don't have any myself, but when I saw this thread, I realised that I do need to change my thought processes on wealth creation. Something I've been saying I'd do (since, ?)
I'll do just that.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Seun(m): 1:58pm On Aug 02, 2006
All of us cannot be entrepreneurs, but we can all be contractors. It's good to be realistically ambitious.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by otokx(m): 2:06pm On Aug 02, 2006
@Seun; Well Said
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by zebudaya(m): 2:33am On Aug 03, 2006
some people work all their lives for the same company retire, and still leave a good life. By the way they have the houses the cars they worked hard for. In fact it's only a small percentage of people who succeed at running their own businesses. Most fold up within a couple of years.

Shaq, Kobe, Britney spears work for other people and have most things that money can buy!
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by eberebe(m): 2:36pm On Aug 03, 2006
demola, it wasn't robert kiyosaki that wrote think and grow rich: it was napoleon hill. what robert kiyosaki wrote was rich dad poor dad. and there he talked about mind your business.

for the topic, i should think that we can achieve whatever dream we have. it however calls for determination, self-discipline and dedication to it. afterall, dream come true for those who strive hard towards its realisation.

even employers/ entrepreneurs need self control to not lavish their money: you know sometimes it comes too sudden- as windfalls.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Scatter(m): 1:19am On Aug 04, 2006
well i would say one can have a good life being a worker or being employed. But this may some times depend on which part of the world you are, take for example here in germany the average worker is treated like a king and can afford anything a millionare can afford. Just take a look at a construction companys parking lot or space at closing time, and you will be surprised at the kind of cars driven by casual labourers and cleaners these include bmws mercerdes and flashy jeeps and many of them have bought houses and paying on instalmental basis as well as going home with fat salary packages up to 3000euro monthly.
  As long as you are working you are well respected by the society and can afford anything because here is so organised that if you are employed you can buy anything and pay slowly one does not have to embezle govt money to afford the good things of life.From statistics germans are the world record holders in travelling, tourism and holiday making and 70percent of these tourist are common workers and their families wink
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by segedoo(m): 8:28pm On Aug 04, 2006
If you work in the oil and gas industry then salary earning can fetch you your dream status but at the cost of a meaningful life. Otherwise just be a CCIE then you can work for a company and also be a consultant to others. I know of a guy that was earning 200K before became a CCIE (Cisco certified internet expert) now he earns 1M a month and he's free to do PP!
Food for thought
If you ain't got a business you can start with about 5000 Naira then you should re-evaluate your business idea.that's because you don't have to pay for everything.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by danielorde(m): 9:14pm On Aug 08, 2006
Offcourse, it can! But when would that be? How would it be? And What will the dream status be? These questions are same for both Employees and Employers. If one can run his life like an enterprise focusing on increasing profits year and year out. Then I believ you are on your way to financial freedom.

This means you'd always look for investing oppurtunites, bot short term and long term. You'd be willing to take risk with you money at time. And you'd be able to trade your skills when you are off your day job. Forexample if you are good at speaking find a market for you skill. Even the accountants, there are many up starts that need to have thier accounts managed though they cannot afford an accounts.

The trick is, what is it you have. We are all meant to be enterpreneurs but not necessarily Employers of Labour. An entrepreneur is a person who is able to find creative new ways of doing what is been done and uses it to a maximu advatage. This most of the time translates to income.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Ndipe(m): 9:17pm On Aug 12, 2006
Contentment is the key. No matter how much money you may have at your disposal, if the spirit of avarice is embedded in your psyche, you wont be satisfied, even if you had the deed to Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by crito(m): 12:50am On Aug 14, 2006
salary is just a take home pay,you need to be prudent and industrious to achieve ur dream status.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by LiquidMind(m): 4:44pm On Aug 14, 2006
The bitter truth is.

wether you are an employer or employee you need to work really really like hard to make your dreams come true,

It is very difficult to find people who got their money genuinely with hardwork & sweat.
75% of the successful business people you see around.
If they ever tell you how they got. what they have. you will realize that they cheat people and manipulate a lot to be successful and wealthy
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by twinz(m): 7:18am On Aug 15, 2006
it all boils down to the how you use your money,if you have read the richest man in babylon, you would understand that saving and investment are the key to getting all the nice things in life.I have known/seen rich men who have retired from oil companies living wretched and who look miserable.So its a matter of principle.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by osteen(m): 9:39am On Aug 15, 2006
No matter hw much money u earn hw u utilize it is wat counts.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by GNature(m): 10:35am On Aug 15, 2006
Yes, you can make your dream status from just being an employee. It really
depends on the type of job.

Many fortune 500 companies in the U.S. pay their CEOs between 6 and 8 figures. But
the real money or "dream status and properties" comes with the added incentives
that often come with these top profile jobs.

A good example of this incentive is a stock option. Also, as an incentive, a CEO
can be given a goal of generating an amount of profit for a firm. If he/she goes over
this profit by a certain amount, then the CEO would get a % of this increased amount.

Remember, this is besides the base salary. So the base salary can be $120,000 but at
the end of the year, a CEO can end up making $1m, $10m, $20m or more.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by GNature(m): 10:43am On Aug 15, 2006
I forgot to mention that these incentives don't apply to just
CEOs. Other top executives (e.g. Vice President of Marketing) are
also eligible for this.

But you have to be extremely talented (actually gifted) to be eligible
(as you can imagine)
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by buchio7(m): 12:05pm On Aug 15, 2006
I personally do not believe that one can get to that envisaged zenith point by being an employee. At the end of the day u r earning for someone,striving day in day out for another person,or group/shareholder. Creation of wealth to me is the main way of achieving your dreams. It is not easy in the begining and can be down right frustrating but with doggedness,energy and vision it is achievable.

Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by New(m): 1:07pm On Aug 15, 2006
A good example of wealthy employees are microsoft employees as most of them received stock options when microsoft was in its infancy and became millionaires when share prices went through the roof.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Oracle(m): 5:33pm On Aug 15, 2006
I particularly feel it depends on your type of job, somebody on a N250,000 monthly salary may not have everything in the world but would be comfortable (considering standard of living)
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Stealthy(m): 7:00am On Aug 17, 2006
Salary earning can get you the dream life, but it'll prob take longer than a good business, although without the risks associated with business.

Besides, you can make sensible & sound investments - I know some people who are in paid employment, invest their salaries & actually earn more from their investments/businesses than from their salaries. It's just a matter of choice really.

SOme CEOs earn more than most business men will ever dream of. Dont forget that only about 50% of upstarts in developed economies actually make it past the 5th year.
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by babadee(m): 8:12pm On Aug 21, 2006
i believe it can but you gotta be ready for years of scrub work first
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by GNature(m): 4:03pm On Aug 23, 2006
@Stealthy

Are you a nigerian working in Baghdad?

@ babadee

Very good point. It is possible, but it'll definately not happen overnight
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by veloce(m): 8:58am On Aug 24, 2006
salary can only give you a living while it lasted but not future while salary and investment will get you to your destination. Eating your cake and having it
Re: Can Salary Earning Fetch You Your Dream Status And Properties? by Stealthy(m): 1:05pm On Aug 31, 2006
GNature:

@Stealthy

Are you a nigerian working in Baghdad?

Yeah, bad guy like me!!! Want a job in Baghdad? I can hook u up with a security company. (Security comapnies pay the most here)

(1) (Reply)

Are You Preparing For Gmat? / P&G CEO Challenge. Open To All University & MBA Students / Why You Have To Learn Python Programming In 2020 - Get Free Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.