Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,035 members, 7,814,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Top 9 Extinct Car Brands - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 9 Extinct Car Brands (4413 Views)

Top 12 Popular Demand Car Brands Available In Nigeria / 2013 Abuja Int'l Motor Fair: Compare Car Brands. / Car Brands/models You Wouldn't Want To Use Ever Again (from Previous Experience) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 10:49pm On Sep 29, 2014
In the history of humans, it is apparent that nothing lasts forever. So were these cars.
9- The Car Without a Name
This ridiculously named car was as a result of a marketing ploy by its manufacturer. Name it yourself ,A Customization slogan to soothe buyers' ego.
Sadly, that wasn't enough, The assets of its manufacturing company was auctioned off due to unsustainable production after only 3 years.

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2014
8- Maybach
The Ultra luxurious German brand, The stuff of dreams. Flamboyant Rapper, Rick Ross famously named his music label after this luxury.
Unfortunately for the brand, only 3000 Maybachs were sold in 10years!
Maybach ultimately failed to rival Rolls Royce in the Luxury car range leading to its cancellation in 2013.

Fun-fact: The Maybach Exelero is priced at a whopping $8million!
Oh well....

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 10:52pm On Sep 29, 2014
7-Crossley( British)
Just like the Toyota of today, They were originally Textile Machinery Manufacturers. Then, buses, military vehicles etc.
Very much unlike Toyota though, Aggressive business growth was not their strength.
For 20years in the Automobile business, Expansion was limited. After a corporate takeover, the brand puttered away for good.

6- Aptera Motors
Aptera(wingless) touted as the most fuel efficient car in the world. Founded in 2005, The company's story is particularly instructive.
Stumbling from one production delay to another, after a desperate lack of financing, the company was split into two. Problems multiplied.
The company was finally liquidated in 2011.

2 Likes

5- Crosley (American)
Entirely different from the No 7 entry, this brand disappeared on the altar of the ever-changing wants/needs of the consumer.
During WW2, the Crosley was a darling due to its decent gas efficiency, coupled with the gas rationing prevalent at the time.
Then, things went on a 180` spin. Once gas rationing was abolished, consumers felt the need for bigger, gas-guzzling Automobiles. And so, our darling Crosley folded.

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 10:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
4- The Packard
Every bit as famous as the cars of today, The Packard turned out to be the Dinosaur of the Jet age.
Looking like something of a bathtub turned upside down, its manufacturing company managed to survive 2 world wars over 57 years!
But what it could not survive was the combined might of capitalist competition in peacetime.
A series of management mistakes and a distinct lack of innovation finally ended the Packard era. The remnants are on display in the Packard Museum.

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 10:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
3- American Mercedes
Trust the Americans to manufacture their own Mercedes.
These Mercedes were actually licensed copies of the German Machine.
Strangely though, The American Version was in direct competition with the imported German Mercedes!

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 10:58pm On Sep 29, 2014
2- The Hillman Avenger.
Owned by William Rootes of Rootes Group. This magnate (in)famously turned down an offer to own The Volkswagen Group( free of charge!) after world war 2.
He went as far as to call it "foolish".
Ironically, his top prototype, The Hillman Avenger made it just over a decade before it disappeared.
The Group itself barely made into the 21st century.

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by DECOtech(m): 11:03pm On Sep 29, 2014
......?
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Hajime: 11:10pm On Sep 29, 2014
1- Daewoo
The Korean Phenomenon, once considered among the top 10 motor companies in terms of production. Rivaling the likes of Ford and Hyundai.
All this and more until the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997 occured.
Daewoo racked up short-term debts of 19 trillion Won just 9 months! Its collapse led directly to the collapse of multiple other banks.
The Founder of the Company simply fled, only returning in 2005 to be jailed for 10years and his fortune seized.
Daewoo was finally sold off to General Motors of USA in 2005 after sinking into $82billion debt.
What's more, the brand- Daewoo -suffered irreparable damage becoming a toxic name all over the world.

1 Share

Our Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing will not join this league cool

6 Likes

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Henrypraise: 4:33am On Sep 30, 2014
Daewoo!!!!! I use to like dat car dat year, my uncle had a deawoo racer (I fancy d name die) I always tot I kept seeing less n less of daewoo car until now I knw d reason.

5 Likes

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by azpekuliar: 5:05am On Sep 30, 2014
Henrypraise: Daewoo!!!!! I use to like dat car dat year, my uncle had a deawoo racer (I fancy d name die) I always tot I kept seeing less n less of daewoo car until now I knw d reason.

There was the Daewoo Espero too. As kids not a few boys my age dreamt of owning one of those 2 cars in the future.

@Topic, some other mentions include, Datsun, Isuzu (who remembers the Isuzu Tiger?)
In the heavy trucks category-Bedford, Sisu trucks etc

3 Likes

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Cpumping(m): 5:21am On Sep 30, 2014
Space booked.

But mehn daewoo dat year. I remember wen my dad bought his mercedes 190 , I wept profusely.
Daddy why ddnt u buy 'daewoo racer'.

2 Likes

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Sunymoore(m): 5:57am On Sep 30, 2014
Every empire rise and fall
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by constance500: 6:03am On Sep 30, 2014
Hmm
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by wayne4loan: 7:24am On Sep 30, 2014
Hajime: 8- Maybach
The Ultra luxurious German brand, The stuff of dreams. Flamboyant Rapper, Rick Ross famously named his music label after this luxury.
Unfortunately for the brand, only 3000 Maybachs were sold in 10years!
Maybach ultimately failed to rival Rolls Royce in the Luxury car range leading to its cancellation in 2013.

Fun-fact: The Maybach Exelero is priced at a whopping $8million!
Oh well....
this is the car of my dreams
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 30, 2014
azpekuliar:
There was the Daewoo Espero too. As kids not a few boys my age dreamt of owning one of this 2 cars someday in the future.
@Topic, Some other mentions would include, Datsun, Isuzu (who remembers the Isuzu Tiger?)
In the heavy trucks category, Bedford vehicles.
truth, i could remember Datsun' their soundproof cars, always intriguing seeing them roll on the street noiseless.
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by iamsegsy(m): 7:44am On Sep 30, 2014
what about this Peugeot?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 30, 2014
Is it the same Daewoo that 7up advertised for its promo,that nearly gave people diabetes all just to win it?

5 Likes

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by 100Cents: 8:30am On Sep 30, 2014
Hajime: Our Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing will not join this league cool

Wetin Innoson do you ?
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Smartjeezy(m): 8:32am On Sep 30, 2014
wayne4loan: this is the car of my dreams
keep on dreaming...
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by 100Cents: 9:02am On Sep 30, 2014
wayne4loan: this is the car of my dreams

Do you know the meaning of extinct ?

I have never loved the design of the maybach even the few i see in town, all their accessories appear fake like Chinese stuff to the eyes

This is the problem with rebranding. When they saw they were not getting it right, close shop for one year and rebrand. Come out with new style.

There is no businessman who doesn't make mistakes before getting it right..
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by nwaobitex: 9:20am On Sep 30, 2014
sad
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by LMAyedun(m): 9:31am On Sep 30, 2014
And these cars are far better & durable than those plastic cars of 2014.

The Indomie generation can't know these rugged cars.
Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Valfrankie(m): 10:49am On Sep 30, 2014
Maybach? beht why embarassed

1 Like

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by ZACHIE: 11:06am On Sep 30, 2014
iamsegsy: what about this Peugeot?

if that Auto section moderator catch you...... me i no dey o

1 Like

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by idu1(m): 11:09am On Sep 30, 2014
iamsegsy: what about this Peugeot?
is that ikenna car?

1 Like

Re: Top 9 Extinct Car Brands by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 30, 2014
Hajime: 6- Aptera Motors
Aptera(wingless) touted as the most fuel efficient car in the world. Founded in 2005, The company's story is particularly instructive.
Stumbling from one production delay to another, after a desperate lack of financing, the company was split into two. Problems multiplied.
The company was finally liquidated in 2011.
na dis one tire me pass. e be lyk say dem swear 4 dem

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Range Rover Sports 2006 Model Transmission Problem / Peugeot 407 - The Most Common Problems And Fixes / Say Good Bye To Petrol With Cheap CNG For Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.