Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,718 members, 7,827,604 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Tafawa Balewa October 1, 1960 Independence Day Speech - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Tafawa Balewa October 1, 1960 Independence Day Speech (3108 Views)

Epic 1960 Guiness Billboard Advertisement (PICS) / All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan / INDEPENDENCE DAY SPEECH, 1960: Nigeria Stands Upon Firm Foundations –balewa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tafawa Balewa October 1, 1960 Independence Day Speech by IamK2I(m): 8:11am On Oct 01, 2014
The Speech Declaring Nigeria’s Independence by Nigeria’s First Prime Minister Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa – October 1, 1960

Today is Independence Day. The first of October 1960 is a date to which for two years, Nigeria has been eagerly looking forward. At last, our great day has arrived, and Nigeria is now indeed an independent Sovereign nation.

Words cannot adequately express my joy and pride at being the Nigerian citizen privileged to accept from Her Royal Highness these Constitutional Instruments which are the symbols of Nigeria’s Independence. It is a unique privilege which I shall remember forever, and it gives me strength and courage as I dedicate my life to the service of our country. This is a wonderful day, and it is all the more wonderful because we have awaited it with increasing impatience,compelled to watch one country after another overtaking us on the road when we had so nearly reached our goal. But now, we have acquired our rightful status, and I feel sure that history will show that the building of our nation proceeded at the wisest pace: it has been thorough, and Nigeria now stands well-built upon firm foundations...

... And finally, I must express our gratitude to Her Royal Highness, the Princess Alexandra for personally bringing to us these symbols of our freedom and especially for delivering the gracious message from Her Majesty, The Queen. And so, with the words ‘God Save Our Queen’, I open a new chapter in the history of Nigeria and of the Commonwealth, and indeed, of the world.

(1) (Reply)

19 JOHESU Members UBTH Chapter Involved In An Accident (photo) / Add Your Photo To Your Nairaland Profile And Win Recharge Cards / A Married Ecobank Female Staff Impregnated By Her Ecobank Boss In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.