Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,268 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Fathouse? Explain What This Means - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Fathouse? Explain What This Means (2438 Views)

No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... / Can anyone explain what these mean in Edo Language? Thank you. / What Does Ur Native Name Means? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fathouse? Explain What This Means by suricattca(f): 5:52pm On Nov 07, 2008
Is it true that "Fathouse/Fat house" is a place where Nigerians girl are prepared for marriage? I read about this in book. Can u explain what this means? What do the girls do in "Fathouse/Fat house"?
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by tpia: 5:55pm On Nov 07, 2008
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by JJYOU: 6:00pm On Nov 07, 2008
think mcdonalds and burger king
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 07, 2008
Lol.

suricattca:

Is it true that "Fathouse/Fat house" is a place where Nigerians girl are prepared for marriage? I read about this in book. Can u explain what this means? What do the girls do in "Fathouse/Fat house"?

The book you read about it from must have briefed you on the fact that it's an ethnic group in Nigeria where females are fattened up for marriage and not the whole populace of Nigerian females. If it didn't, well . . . I just wanted to let you know.
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by ezeagu(m): 6:14pm On Nov 07, 2008
The opposite of dieting.
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by suricattca(f): 6:46pm On Nov 07, 2008
@ Stillwater
I knew that only one or few ethnic groups.

Why should the girls be fat?
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by JJYOU: 6:57pm On Nov 07, 2008
suricattca:

@ Stillwater

so you could ask NL people. google that word or check channel4.com they did a documentary some years back on the tribe
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by DisGuy: 9:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
fattening rooms of calabar

And the Prince and his wife, who belong to the Efik tribe, certainly see no reason to change.

"When you are fat, it makes you look healthy," says Happiness.
"People respect you. People honour you. Wherever you go, they say, 'your husband feed you fine.
"If you go to a village, people can come out to look at you, because you are healthy."

partly to do with our obsession with respect, status and honour
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by bawomolo(m): 10:03pm On Nov 07, 2008
suricattca:

@ Stillwater

because some men like them thick, phat and fabolous or whatever obesity is known as these days

1 Like

Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by tpia: 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2008
undecided undecided
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by DisGuy: 12:02am On Nov 08, 2008
bawomolo:

because some men like them thick, phat and fabolous or whatever obesity is known as these days

I don't think men like girls/ladies that deliberately chomp down carbohydrates just to look thick
have you seen these women? they end up being round with wide mid-section making their
arms look disproportional short high round chest almost struggling for breathe undecided
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by JamaicanQT(f): 4:45am On Nov 08, 2008
i saw it one the BBC or channel4 can't remeber which african country its was though,  they even force feed the girl,  the bigger she is the more appealing she looks to her future husband,  one woman was so fat she suffered from back and knee pains,  oh and when the husband thinks the wife is big enough he then exchange her for a cow or two cows

1 Like

Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by bawomolo(m): 5:11am On Nov 08, 2008
Dis Guy:

I don't think men like girls/ladies that deliberately chomp down carbohydrates just to look thick
have you seen these women? they end up being round with wide mid-section making their
arms look disproportional short high round chest almost struggling for breathe undecided

what a visual lipsrsealed

why are the men impressed by these days. just to brag you have enough money to force feed your wife??
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by Morenike3(f): 6:32am On Nov 08, 2008
1. It's not healthy
2. It's gross
3. ewwwww
4. I still can't believe there such thing
5. gross
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by iice(f): 10:15am On Nov 08, 2008
Dis Guy:

Ewww
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by MrCrackles(m): 10:19am On Nov 08, 2008
fathouse?! shocked

undecided undecided
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by spikedcylinder: 11:53am On Nov 08, 2008
Obe to dun, owo mi lo pa (soup wey sweet, na my money kill am).

I don't think they still practice that though. Abi do they? undecided

Who on earth would want to marry a fat woman? Knowing fully well that women still add weight after childbirth and all that bosi bosi. undecided
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by JJYOU: 5:35pm On Nov 08, 2008
JamaicanQT:

i saw it one the BBC or channel4 can't remeber which african country its was though,  they even force feed the girl,  the bigger she is the more appealing she looks to her future husband,  one woman was so fat she suffered from back and knee pains,  oh and when the husband thinks the wife is big enough he then exchange her for a cow or two cows
channel 4
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 09, 2008
ahh ahhnn rumors don begin fly! shocked shocked shocked

it's a tradition common among the calabar/efik people (that general geographic area sha)
and it involves the seclusion of a girl who is about to get married (she has already chosen her hubby or vice versa).
they feed her with rich food to make her put on weight, teach her how to cook, keep her home clean et c. she also takes modelling classes (i.e. how to catwalk for her man cheesy cheesy). the only downside is putting on weight. very few (if any) still go through the ritual today.

i mean, she can only take a week off from work to prepare for the trad wedding, even if she's interested, who has time to go to the fathouse? tongue tongue
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by HRhotness(f): 3:34am On Nov 10, 2008
iceblue:

ahh ahhnn rumors don begin fly! shocked shocked shocked

it's a tradition common among the calabar/efik people (that general geographic area sha)
and it involves the seclusion of a girl who is about to get married (she has already chosen her hubby or vice versa).
they feed her with rich food to make her put on weight, teach her how to cook, keep her home clean et c. she also takes modelling classes (i.e. how to catwalk for her man cheesy cheesy). the only downside is putting on weight. very few (if any) still go through the ritual today.

i mean, she can only take a week off from work to prepare for the trad wedding, even if she's interested, who has time to go to the fathouse? tongue tongue

true
the main focus of this to to teach the girl how to be a proper wife and to beautify her in preperation for the wedding. . .

she isnt allllowed to do anything and she gets massaged with special oisl twice a day to beautify her skin .

the weight gain is as a result of the rich diet and lack of work, it also shows prospective suitors that she is well taken care of and not from an underprivilaged home
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by spikedcylinder: 9:49am On Nov 10, 2008
Isn't this what they call "Kobnomi"? cheesy
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by LoveAlways(f): 9:46pm On Nov 10, 2008
This is funny, because my guy has a video that he couldn't wait to show me.   After the movie he went on to explain that in certain parts of Nigeria some women are fattened before marriage and that certain dances are best done by heavier women.   He was also excited to see positive portrayals of African men in the movie.

But I think this practice is dying.  More women in Nigerian; from what I've read, prefer to be "fit instead of fat".
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by kiwi992(m): 2:49pm On Nov 12, 2008
Hi All,

My people still practise that custom 'til today - the Kalabaris of the Niger Delta.  However, I'm not quite sure about the Calabar people but we certainly do it.

When a woman has her first child, she has to go into the fattening room at her husband's family home.  She stays there for three months, and gets fattened up.  She never has to do anything for herself except to breast-feed the child. 

During this period, everything is done for her by members of the family.  She's fed lots of yam and onunu (yam and riped plantain pounded together in oil), fish and so on.

After the three-month period, it's time for her to leave the fattening room.  Inorder to celebrate this momentous event, the female elders in the family then dress her up in very old traditional clothes that span several generations (these are always boxed up after use), such as 'india' (wrapper) and silk.   She's then donned in ancient jewellery especially big, pink cowry, all over, including her ankles and wrists.

The wrapper is only tied up to her knees, and indeed, this is the only time that a Kalabari woman has to show her knees in public.

They then give her a saucer and a walking stick with which she has to go round the town twice a day, for three days, collecting alms.  She's accompanied by members of her husband's compound, who are singing right behind her, as she goes to every compound in the town.

After the three days, she then has to perform a dance for a further three days, in front of an audience, both mornings and evenings, in the compound square, so as to bring the event to an end.

This ceremony is only performed on the birth of her first child but not the rest.

kiwi992.

NB:

This was how it was when I lived at home back in 1974.  I don't think the culture has changed because culture and tradition never die.  Evolve, yes, but not die.

1 Like

Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by LoveAlways(f): 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2008
@kiwi

Sounds really beautiful.  I think of all the ethnic groups in Nigeria,  Calabar is my favorite.  I still wonder why it is rumored that Calabar women are the best sexually.  I want to know their secrets!  (laughing)

My people still practise that custom 'til today - the Kalabaris of the Niger Delta.  However, I'm not quite sure about the Calabar people but we certainly do it.

When a woman has her first child, she has to go into the fattening room at her husband's family home.  She stays there for three months, and gets fattened up.  She never has to do anything for herself except to breast-feed the child. 

During this period, everything is done for her by members of the family.  She's fed lots of yam and onunu (yam and riped plantain pounded together in oil), fish and so on.

After the three-month period, it's time for her to leave the fattening room.  Inorder to celebrate this momentous event, the female elders in the family then dress her up in very old traditional clothes that span several generations (these are always boxed up after use), such as 'india' (wrapper) and silk.   She's then donned in ancient jewellery especially big, pink cowry, all over, including her ankles and wrists.

The wrapper is only tied up to her knees, and indeed, this is the only time that a Kalabari woman has to show her knees in public.

They then give her a saucer and a walking stick with which she has to go round the town twice a day, for three days, collecting alms.  She's accompanied by members of her husband's compound, who are singing right behind her, as she goes to every compound in the town.

After the three days, she then has to perform a dance for a further three days, in front of an audience, both mornings and evenings, in the compound square, so as to bring the event to an end.

This ceremony is only performed on the birth of her first child but not the rest.
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by bawomolo(m): 7:46am On Nov 13, 2008
sounds really beautiful
Re: Fathouse? Explain What This Means by kiwi992(m): 12:38pm On Nov 13, 2008
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

That said, may I just add that KALABARI and CALABAR are completely different.

I mentioned Kalabari as I am one.  We are called Kalabari, so is our language.  The Kalabari people are part of the Ijaw tribe in Bayelsa and Rivers States.  Such places as Buguma, Abonnema, Bakana, Tombia, Degema, Kula, Ke are typical Kalabari towns.  Those towns are just a few miles from Port Harcourt in the Niger Delta, Bakana being the nearest one. 

On the other hand, Calabar used to be in the South Eastern State.  I don't know which state it is now.  Towns such as Ikot Ekpene and Calabar (and so on), used to make up that state.  These belong to the Ibibio tribe (if I'm not mistaken).  Ibibio and Efik are some of the languages spoken there.

Nevertheless, a very beautiful part of the Kalabari culture and tradition.

kiwi992.

NB:

The New Calabar River runs right outside my town, Bakana whilst the River Sombrero runs outside Abonnema.  Both of these rivers empty themselves in the Atlantic Ocean.

The European slave traders coined the name 'New Calabar' to mean Kalabari towns and villages.

(1) (Reply)

Lepa And African Beauty / How Would You Greet By 9pm? / What Do You Think Of My Breasts Pictures Included

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.