Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,629 members, 7,840,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances (580 Views)

Nigerian Volunteers To Sierra Leone, Liberia Locked Up In Hotel Over Unpaid Bill / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment / I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by abuchilag: 7:39am On Oct 03, 2014
Health workers at the Ebola Treatment Centre in Lagos have asked the Federal and the Lagos State governments to pay their allowances.

According to some of the volunteers who spoke to our correspondent at the Lagos Treatment Centre, on Thursday, they had yet to receive payment for the month of September.

One of them, a nurse who spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not want to be single out for sanction, said the health workers received a message from their coordinators that the state government had given directives that operations at the centre be shut down on Thursday, even when their monies had not been paid.

The nurse said, “We were told last night that they would shut down the centre on Thursday but they did not mention anything about the money they owe us.

“They should settle us because there will be no one to complain to after the centre has been shut down. Everybody is praising Nigeria that it contained Ebola, meanwhile the people that worked are not yet compensated as they should be. We have not even been addressed formally; they just discarded us as if we committed a crime by volunteering.”

While doctors at the Ebola centre receive N50,000 per shift, nurses are paid N40,000.

Our correspondent, who visited the centre on Thursday, observed that the doors were padlocked and there was no visible activity at the time of the visit.

Another volunteer, who is also a nurse called on the Federal Government to address the delay in the payment of their allowances and warned that failure to do so now would discourage people from volunteering in the future.

She said, “Government should be responsible. They promised to give us life insurance; we have not heard anything about that. They said they would give us N1m upfront. They have not. We risked our lives, stigma and our livelihood to work here, the least they can do is to pay us as when due.

“They were always delaying our payment. But if they are going to shut down, they should pay us for what we tirelessly worked for. If not, nobody will answer or volunteer when next they call.”

Calls to the Lagos State Commissioner for Heath, Dr. Jide Idris, were not answered. The Commissioner did not also reply text sent to his mobile phone on this matter.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-evd-volunteer-workers-demand-unpaid-allowances/

*I pray and hope that this article is not true. What happened to the 200m given to Lagos State to contain the scourge? All the people involved should ensure that this case is resolved on time to avoid making a big mockery of this laudable fit of containing Ebola in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by ifaoni(m): 7:42am On Oct 03, 2014
thats naija 4 u.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by pryncemautin: 7:46am On Oct 03, 2014
I smell some foul play here with those who are supposed to really pay the money. Hope it has not been diverted as usual
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 03, 2014
Maybe I need to check the definition of ''volunteers'' again.
Don't get me wrong, I think they deserve to be paid their dues. they should just not call themselves volunteers.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 03, 2014
bestestgirl: Maybe I need to check the definition of ''volunteers'' again.

Still though let me save you the trouble;
Vol·un·teer -> Välənˈtir/ noun
plural noun: volunteers

1. “An individual who performs hours of service… for civic, charitable, or humanitarian reasons, without promise, expectation or receipt of compensation for services rendered.”

Don't get me wrong, I think they deserve to be paid their dues. they should just not call themselves volunteers.

You know what, You are right!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 03, 2014
Shikaamaru:

Still though let me save you the trouble;
Vol·un·teer -> Välənˈtir/ noun
plural noun: volunteers

1. “An individual who performs hours of service… for civic, charitable, or humanitarian reasons, without promise, expectation or receipt of compensation for services rendered.”

Thank you!!!! especially for the bolded
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances by datguru: 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2014
Volunteer you said, why requesting for payments?

(1) (Reply)

Thomas Duncan, The Texas Ebola Patient,has Died / 10 Must-know Tips On How To Improve Your Mood / Nigeria Protests Maltreatment of Citizens Over Ebola; Names 22 culprit Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.