Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,331 members, 7,819,134 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? (3280 Views)

Shehu Sani Interacts With Beggars In Kaduna (Photo) / See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From / Anambra Ordered Arrest and Deportation Of Child beggars in 2011. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by dedons: 10:21am On Oct 04, 2014
I'm sorry if this question will cause any form of discomfort to anyone here.

I was recently in Ibadan,oyo state.what i saw was really amazing...I was amazed to see every Tom,Dick and Harry coming to beg for alms almost every 5minutes.

The most amazing part of it is that,the beggars in question include both the young and old,male and female.

I'm really disappointed and would really want to know why the state is like that.

Ps:-this is without any tribalistic intention.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 04, 2014
Those people are verrrry lazygrin
Young and able bodied men and women flowing out to beg visitors and tourists for alms, pretending to be disabled.
Do you know how much revenue they'll generate for their state if they were to venture into something productive? They would rather lazy about in their youth.
Lazy thingsgrin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 04, 2014
op, will be back to see what the thread has being turn into

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by lomprico(m): 10:47am On Oct 04, 2014
I tot am d only one that noticed!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Jackpott(m): 10:57am On Oct 04, 2014
It's so annoying. . . Lagos own worst.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by iamodenigbo1(m): 10:58am On Oct 04, 2014
Hmmmmm no comment
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by docsholz(m): 11:11am On Oct 04, 2014
Let the games begin
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by OsoDupe(f): 12:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
Ibadan's own is the worst o, these days I don't even answer them anymore.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Ghost01(m): 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2014
To be frank, those guys plenty for Ibadan. Some of them are victims of Sharia in the North, I guess (with their amputated arms, legs, fingers). Some others are victims of Polio. While some are Nigeriens. At least those three groups form a large percentage of the alms-seeking guys.
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by 0rlando0woh: 12:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
Seems many people agree with the op.
Something has to be done about Almajirism in the South West.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by thewarrior72: 12:20pm On Oct 04, 2014
dedons:

I was recently in Ibadan,oyo state.what i saw was really amazing...I was amazed to see every Tom,Dick and Harry coming to beg for alms almost every 5minutes.

The most amazing part of it is that,the beggers in question include both the young and old,male and female.

I'm really disappointed and would really want to know why the state is like that.

Are they disabled or able bodied peeps?
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by dedons: 12:24pm On Oct 04, 2014
thewarrior72:
Are they disabled or able bodied peeps?
if they were disabled,I wouldn't have complained.

They are fully able bodied.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by tinkinjow: 12:39pm On Oct 04, 2014
My cousin told me it is a family tradition for most.
Don't know how truthful that is but since my cousins can safely claim indigenous to Oyo, I have to believe

5 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 04, 2014
dedons:

The most amazing part of it is that,the beggers in question include both the young and old,male and female.

Most of them are from the Northern parts of Nigeria, including some foreigners from Niger, chad and guinea.

They are many in Ibadan because a lot of people especially Muslims give them alms its sort of part of some people's religion.
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
Jackpott:
It's so annoying. . . Lagos own worst.
mehn! The first time I saw able bodied men begging on the streets of Lagos,I nearly fainted. In the eastern part of the country I've never seen that. Never! It is such a shamful act.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
django1:

Most of them are from the Northern parts of Nigeria, including some foreigners from Niger, chad and guinea.

They are many in Ibadan because a lot of people especially Muslims give them alms its sort of part of some people's religion.

Na lie.
If you see a Yoruba or Hausa, you no go know?
If I see a Hausa beggar in owerri, I dey know shaperly

9 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2014
My sister served in Ibadam, she told me that if i thought Kano is home to the highest number of beggars in West Africa that i should try Ibadan.

She relocated shaa, she couldnt cope for 4months.
tinkinjow:
My cousin told me it is a family tradition for most.
Don't know how truthful that is but since my cousins can safely claim indigenous to Oyo, I have to believe

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Na lie.
If you see a Yoruba or Hausa, you no go know?
If I see a Hausa beggar in owerri, I dey know shaperly

Do you live in Ibadan? Don't be stupiid boy. There are ibo beggers in Ibadan too as well, I usually see two ibo girls in omitowoju junction around adamasingba begging for alms, they are unmistakable anyone who passes that route can back me up.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
Shattap they are Yorubas and their hausa masters

stop accusing west african countries
django1:

7 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
Chuksphil2go:
Shattap they are Yorubas and their hausa masters

stop accusing west african countries

Ibos, you live in a world of illusion, your sisters are beggers and petty road side traders rtight there in the same Ibadan.

Those who aren't begging are moonlighting in queens cinema selling their bodies for pennies.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by corperscorner: 1:22pm On Oct 04, 2014
@OP....

Here is the answer to your question.

The obvious reason is because all beggars across the nation originated from Oyo either by birth or apprenticeship grin

Oyo state is their headquarters so to speak...

Hope this helps....LMAO @d topic

Begging for alms is now a very lucrative business grin

They have a training centre in Oyo where people are thought how to beg with sweet melody and they even offer internship for aspiring students too.

9ice was thought well. Look at what he is todaygrin

LET THE BEGGING BEGIN!!! Oyo! We hail thee...Land of beggars

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 04, 2014
Nobleval:
mehn! The first time I saw able bodied men begging on the streets of Lagos,I nearly fainted. In the eastern part of the country I've never seen that. Never! It is such a shamful act.

There are many reasons why beggers are many in Lagos and Ibadan, number one reason for this is the economic situation of those two places, there are far more people willing to give them money there than else where. Another important factor is the religion of the people, many are Muslims in the south west and its prevalent along Muslims to give money to beggers.

Honestly I find beggers irritating and they are just everywhere, under bridges and road sides, I just wish the government can do something about it. Send them back to wherever they come from or something.
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by lastmanstandn(m): 1:33pm On Oct 04, 2014
Haaaaa. They're just too much in Ibadan. Funny, you meet them everyday. Gate men, security men, policemen, nurses, cleaners every where you go, you get begged for tips.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by ziky2010(m): 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
There are beggars everywhere in nigeria.@op.Av u been to the northern part of Nigeria b4?
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by corperscorner: 1:47pm On Oct 04, 2014
ziky2010:
There are beggars everywhere in nigeria.@op.Av u been to the northern part of Nigeria b4?

Every beGgar you see in the north was trained in Oyo. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Donmarrius: 1:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
Having read the verdicts passed here by different people,it is obvious that Op is absolutely right,and hence,i demand that Op re-caption this thread "The Growing Trend Of Almajirism In Southwest Nigeria".

Having said that,i also call on mods here,to forward this to front page,by so doing,we will fight laziness in Southwest.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
corperscorner:
@OP....

Here is the answer to your question.

The obvious reason is because all beggars across the nation originated from Oyo either by birth or apprenticeship grin

Oyo state is their headquarters so to speak...

Hope this helps....LMAO @d topic

Begging for alms is now a very lucrative business grin

They have a training centre in Oyo where people are thought how to beg with sweet melody and they even offer internship for aspiring students too.

9ice was thought well. Look at what he is todaygrin

LET THE BEGGING BEGIN!!! Oyo! We hail thee...Land of beggars

Empty head.
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
django1:

Do you live in Ibadan? Don't be stupiid boy. There are ibo beggers in Ibadan too as well, I usually see two ibo girls in omitowoju junction around adamasingba begging for alms, they are unmistakable anyone who passes that route can back me up.

Two? well, that couldn't have made the op to open the thread
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
Chuksphil2go:
My sister served in Ibadam, she told me that if i thought Kano is home to the highest number of beggars in West Africa that i should try Ibadan.

She relocated shaa, she couldnt cope for 4months.
disgusting
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
django1:

There are many reasons why beggers are many in Lagos and Ibadan, number one reason for this is the economic situation of those two places, there are far more people willing to give them money there than else where. Another important factor is the religion of the people, many are Muslims in the south west and its prevalent along Muslims to give money to beggers.

Honestly I find beggers irritating and they are just everywhere, under bridges and road sides, I just wish the government can do something about it. Send them back to wherever they come from or something.

Stop trying too hard.
Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by 0nyegame(m): 1:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Is because Oyo means begger in Igbo language,u see is not their fault.lol

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There Too Many Beggars In Oyo State? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 04, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Two? well, that couldn't have made the op to open the thread

There are fewer ibo beggers Ibadan than hausa, Chadians or Yoruba. That's one is a fact but ibos have their own vices they perpetrate too, any ashewo house in Ibadan is populated by ibos, half of the criminals caught are ibos. There's no point in getting giddy in having just one less vice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians In The House Of Lords UK Parliament / The Conspiracy Against The Yoruba Nation By Northerners By Chief Bisi Akande / Jonathan Failed Because He Didn’t Listen To Me – Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.