Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,421 members, 7,958,262 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:28 AM

How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety (1689 Views)

The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? / Urgent Job Call-interview Day Is 2moro / Important Tips To Over Come Interview Anxiety (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by DanWrites(m): 10:48am On Oct 05, 2014
This is not new to anyone who has attended one job interview or the other. No matter how minor the position, the shivers always gets us.

Before I start, know that different strategies work for different people so you can pick the ones that can work for you and discard the rest.

If you have one working for you already, you can add.

Rest assured these are proven efficient ways of relieving interview day anxiety.

1. Make sure you are prepared

Preparation works well only that most candidates do it wrongly.
Time-saving sakes, do your preparation based on these three know-points.

# Know the company
# Know the position
# Know yourself

2. Dress appropriately.

When you enter the premises and find you stood out in dressing in the wrong way, your confidence will wilt and this is very bad.
To avoid this, you can call to inquire the dress code for the interview beforehand. It is safe to do so. You can ask an employee from the firm if you know one. Many experienced job seekers can safely guess what to wear from the position applied.
Whatever you wear, let it add to your confidence, not subtract.

Now you have stopped in front of the tall building. You look up at the company's name written in proud letters and take a deep breath.

3. Come down from the taxi with poise.

Yes. It is much better to use a taxi than okada. In stricter cases use a Keke Napep or ask the bike man to stop you a small distance away before the company building.
Don't ask me why!

4. Enter the premise like you are already an employee.

5. Be the first to make eye contact and say something.

This gives you a good edge.

And!! Don't start up a conversation with the Front desk person if you can't keep up.
If you can, all to your good. The major thing is not to loose the cool in the process. Anything capable of snatching away the attitude you entered with is enemy.

'Good morning. My name is Jub Sika. I am to have an interview here today,'

'Oh. What's your name again, Sir?'

'Jub Sika.'

'Alright, Mr. Sika, have a seat and Mr. Boss will request for you shortly.'

'Thank you.'

6. Make sure you don't forget your smile at home.

While at it, keep it well-timed and professional...don't go grinning like you picked a wad of dollar bills on your way coming.

Inside the interview room.

7. Watch your interviewer(s) with a small smile.

You can pick them apart in your mind. The purpose is to remain in control.

8. Take a moment before answering each question.

You buy yourself time with a polite 'thank you' each time a question is thrown your way.

9. Don't get thrown off when you don't know what to answer.

When you don't know what to answer, say you don't...boldly and with an appropriate smile. No one knows it all.

10. Bother more on how you say what you say.

To avoid stammering, talk slower, catching your breath on em's and uhm's.

www.danwrites90..com

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by bright007(f): 10:51am On Oct 05, 2014
nice
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by sholay2011(m): 11:08am On Oct 05, 2014
OP has spoken well. Abeg mods, frontpage.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 11:17am On Oct 05, 2014
DanWrites:
No matter how minor the position, the shivers always gets us.

However hard I try, the shivers always creep in at some point. sad I pray someday I conquer it.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:31am On Oct 05, 2014
Noted!
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by DanWrites(m): 11:40am On Oct 05, 2014
opeyemmmy:

However hard I try, the shivers always creep in at some point. sad I pray someday I conquer it.
It will always come. Though we can't get rid of them entirely, we can subdue them.
Even the wide-eyed HR man across from you will feel it if positions got swapped.

1 Like

Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
Educative !!
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by Daluuzor(m): 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
9ice one Op.
Always go to an interview with a spirit of sportsmanship, in that way, you will be relaxed. Take deep breath at intervals, it helps relax your nerves.
in interview, it is either you win or you lose, so strive to win.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by DanWrites(m): 8:28pm On Oct 05, 2014
Daluuzor:
9ice one Op.
Always go to an interview with a spirit of sportsmanship, in that way, you will be relaxed. Take deep breath at intervals, it helps relax your nerves.
in interview, it is either you win or you lose, so strive to win.
That's a nice tip, Daluuzor. Thanks for sharing.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by Jakeattah(m): 12:35am On Oct 06, 2014
I've missed a lot of interviews intentionally cos of anxiety
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by DanWrites(m): 12:41am On Oct 06, 2014
Jakeattah:
I've missed a lot of interviews intentionally cos of anxiety
Please don't miss an interview invite because you think you might get nervous and screw it.
Better go and stammer than not go at all.
Moreover, there is more to getting the job than how the interview had proceeded.
There might be other ways to make up for your flaws.

Study the tips and see if your next interview would be different.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by Jakeattah(m): 8:07am On Oct 06, 2014
DanWrites:

Please don't miss an interview invite because you think you might get nervous and screw it.
Moreover, there is more to getting the job than how the interview had proceeded.

Thanks, that's very right, I'll do just that
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by ChelseaKings: 8:30am On Oct 06, 2014
opeyemmmy:

U could help ur self with some sips of alcohol. That's when U've prepared very well for the interview.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 8:52am On Oct 06, 2014
ChelseaKings:
U could help ur self with some sips of alcohol. That's when U've prepared very well for the interview.

Taarh! Get behind me! angry

3 Likes

Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 8:58am On Oct 06, 2014
DanWrites:

It will always come. Though we can't get rid of them entirely, we can subdue them.
Even the wide-eyed HR man across from you will feel it if positions got swapped.

Been managing fright since God knows when... so that tells why I get nervous during interviews. Not as bad as it was some years ago, now.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by sholay2011(m): 10:33am On Oct 06, 2014
opeyemmmy:

grin grin
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by ChelseaKings: 10:38am On Oct 06, 2014
opeyemmmy:

lolz... It works like magic I gurantee you. wink
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by DanWrites(m): 10:46am On Oct 06, 2014
opeyemmmy:

Been managing fright since God knows when... so that tells why I get nervous during interviews. Not as bad as it was some years ago, now.
It will continue to improve.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by DanWrites(m): 10:47am On Oct 06, 2014
ChelseaKings:
I can't endorse this.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2014
DanWrites:

It will continue to improve.

I hope. Thanks bro.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2014
ChelseaKings:
lolz... It works like magic I gurantee you. wink

May God forgive you. grin
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 11:32am On Oct 06, 2014

1 Like

Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by opeyemmmy(m): 11:36am On Oct 06, 2014
DanWrites:

This is so true. God bless you, OP.
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by sholay2011(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2014
opeyemmmy:

angry

Congrats oo. cheesy
Re: How To Overcome Interview Day Anxiety by ChelseaKings: 12:00am On Oct 07, 2014
opeyemmmy:

May God forgive you. grin
AMEN sir...

(1) (Reply)

Who Went For Luca Visage Limited's Job Interview / You Can Become A Konga Affiliate And Work From Home: Everything You Need To Know / Massive Recruitment At West African Ventures (WAV) Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.