Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

The Forever In 365... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Forever In 365... (7500 Views)

Red Devils FOREVER / Forever And For Always - Story By Repogirl / It Changed Me Forever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 05, 2014

Hey guys...
A wise woman told me once that there is no new story under the sun. I couldn't agree more. With every passing day, however, billions of people everywhere the world around live out - and/or imagine at least- billions of stories, each unique and each different...familiar stories but with unfamiliar plots, twists and turns and a never ending list of characters. DJ Exclusive would call it 'Football: Anything can happen'.
A tape capturing these events, in my mind, would be nothing short of priceless. Unfortunately, that is as possible as it is for twelve moons to appear simultaneously in our Earth. What is possible , though, is me telling my stories and you telling yours. So, here's one 'f mine...my first ever written!

...a big South Shout to NL for this incredible opportunity btw

P.S: This work has been inspired by my fav'rite literary stars on NL @Royver and @whitemosquito, and all the many different and extremely unpredictable (and need i say, super fun) e-beings on the forum.

P.P.S: @all and sundry, It's a big parlour, mine. So, you're welcome to grab any chow of your choice from the double XXL refrigerator over there in the corner (or you could order from jbluv55's bar...I think he does home deliveries too) and just sit back and relax on that byootiful sofa I know you've been eyeing a long time...

I'm welcome to any suggestions you might have to help me improve my writing, all for your reading pleasure ITE.
Ok, guys. Enjoy...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 05, 2014
Updates start tomorrow...
Book your seats. smiley
Re: The Forever In 365... by almacherish(f): 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2014
Nice title... Totally love it

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by whitemosquito(f): 6:12pm On Oct 05, 2014
Lol.
Booked.
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Jbluv55(m): 6:33pm On Oct 05, 2014
Hmmmm.......Okies. Watching with keen interest smiley.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Iolite(f): 7:13pm On Oct 05, 2014
Ok.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 06, 2014
Aug 31...
"Someone waiteth to meet you downstairs."

Whenever Utibe attempted to sound like a character in King James' day, I just knew Imoh had come to see me. Why he willingly served as a middleman in my relationship with his best friend, I had no clue. Boys usually protected their sisters from their friends above all others, afterall. His approval was most welcome. It would have been a lot harder if he had been against our love. Today, though, I was having none of it. Or atleast, that's what i wanted him to think.

Feigning ignorance, I asked, "Who is it?" and still did not open my eyes.

"Someone," came the reply.

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Utin, by Christ, it's urgent," my brother said, almost shouting.
The fact that he had the pleading tone in his voice suggested it indeed was.

"So what if it is? Goeth me not away from hence," I reiterated in his preferred language. "If it be so important that someone see me, he can just bring himself up hither. My door's open."
I tried and successfully managed to stifle a laugh. This Old English thing really rocked. Besides, I knew more than anything that Imoh would not come to my room, no matter what.

"Are you really prepared for the surprise you're gonna get if that happens?" Utibe dared.

He wasn't in any way insinuating Imoh had suddenly grown the balls, was he? My Imoh was shy and he loved to laugh and bat his eyelids to tease me. He also loved acting out idioms, like literally bury a hatchet after reconciliation. I could only imagine him butting his head against a wall when Utibe told him I wasn't gonna meet him, not kicking open my room door demanding answers. Poor thing.

"Are you really sure it's not a surprise I'll have to wait till the end of the world for?"
I wasn't prepared to lose the argument.

"You're impossible. Just come downstairs with me, will ya?" Utibe said. He sounded defeated.

"I'm not coming. You can tell him that," I said conclusively.

Utibe just stood there and pretended to sulk-a gesture that had won me over oh-so many times. Unfortunately for him and quite amusingly for me, I wasn't falling for it this time.
On realizing the seriousness of my resolve, he hissed and started towards the door. Then he turned back abruptly and looking straight at me, he said,

"Not everything has to be on your own terms, little sis."

He must've thought me heartless.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 06, 2014
"She won't come."

"I can't say I didn't expect it. She's particularly stubborn."

"Trust me. You don't know the half of it."

From where I stood eavesdropping at the back of the stairs, I was certain neither my brother nor Imoh could see me. I too was at a disadvantage for staying hidden meant I couldn't see them either. But it would be nice to know what these two said about me when I wasn't around, and what's more, I didn't have to see them to hear.

"Can't she just understand I really have to see her? Did you persuade her enough?"

Imoh was probably teary-eyed as he spoke. I greatly admired his feebleness.

"I tried, man. Utin couldn't put her pride behind her if a million bucks were at stake. I wish I could personally shove it all up her as.s."

Well, what's a brother if not a DNA-sharing pain in the butt? I regretted having to hide. I only wished I could go out there and give him a good talking-to.

"Naw, man. I won't let you speak about her like that."
God, I loved Imoh.

"You sayin' you love her more than I do, huh?"

I imagined Utibe take on a mock battle stance even as he said that and laughed. I immediately clasped my mouth shut with both hands when i realized i had let it slip.

"Did you hear something?" I heard Imoh ask.

"No, what?" came my brother's reply.

"It was probably nothing."

All the air I had held hostage inside my chest, I let escape in a big sigh of relief. I mouthed an inaudible 'Thank God'. I didn't want to have to explain myself, especially not with Imoh around. That would be mortifying.

"I'm calling her. I just hope she picks up," Imoh said.

I heard him punch figures in his phone. Each number responded with a beep.
Darn!
It seemed I had to scurry back up the stairs the same way I did coming down-except this time, I would be taking the lead and didn't have to bother about stepping on my brother's heels in the process. I tiptoed stealthily up the stairs and got to my room just as my phone started to ring. I climbed onto my bed, inhaled deeply a few times to ease myself of all tension and slid my phone open.
There was silence on the other end. Imoh the ever shy, I thought. I would talk only if he did. Nothing for a few seconds and then...

"Hey."

The voice sounded most odd. Not at all like my Imoh's. He probably sounded so because he was nervous but still... That voice sounded like that of someone I had known a while ago, someone I hated.

"It's Paul...y'there?"

My fears had been confirmed. I couldn't contain the thoughts swarming in and out of my head. How'd he get my number? Why did he call me? Could it be a coincidence he called just when I was expecting Imoh to? No, that didn't even count. Ofcourse, it was coincidental.I cursed myself for not checking the caller ID. But how did he...? Why was...? How dare he...?

"I know it's been a while and..."

I cut him off. I had to. He had complicated my life enough. His job was done. His time was up. I had moved on, and I loved the man I had moved on with...

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 06, 2014
almacherish:
Nice title... Totally love it
Tantu. cheesy
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 06, 2014
whitemosquito:
Lol.
Booked.
smiley
BiG honour. Thanks. smiley
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 06, 2014
Jbluv55:
Hmmmm.......Okies. Watching with keen interest smiley.
LoL...Thanks. It means a lot. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Writeditor: 10:44am On Oct 06, 2014
You've got considerable pen power. I've been in the editing business for over a decade and one rarely comes across text so nigh flawlessly written. Maybe a little closer attention to punctuation, as a comma or full stop appears off somewhere. But excellent writing. I will stay glued.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 06, 2014
Writeditor:
You've got considerable pen power. I've been in the editing business for over a decade and one rarely comes across text so nigh flawlessly written. Maybe a little closer attention to punctuation, as a comma or full stop appears off somewhere. But excellent writing. I will stay glued.
Thanks. I really appreciate it. Correction noted btw.
Re: The Forever In 365... by Bishopskiss(m): 8:56pm On Oct 06, 2014
Nice. Really nice. Good beginning.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 06, 2014
I looked up from my phone to a face I stared back at in unbelief. Was this the surprise my brother had talked about? One I couldn't take my eyes off of. He was looking at me, tears in his eyes. There were no tears in mine, just confused feelings of hate, joy, love and pain...and the memories which came rushing back like a falling stack of dominoes.

My eyes involuntarily traced the all-too familiar scar that laid above his left nostril. Indeed it was him. I finally found my tongue - or did my tongue find itself? - for I said in a voice as low as a whisper,
"Dad."

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 07, 2014
THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY

Once we had been a big, happy family. There had been mum, dad, my brother and I...until I had to leave for school exactly six months ago.

Feb. 28

The day I got my admission letter from Prestige University College... one day in my life I couldn't possibly forget. On getting the DHL package, the one containing my admission papers, mum had immediately hurried off to get a few food items from the local market. She didn't even ask my dad for money as she usually did.

My brother grabbed the envelope from me and tore through the papers, as if to confirm the already obvious. My dad just hugged me close and said so many times how proud of me he was.

"So, you're gonna be studying Computer Science eh? What happened to the Information Technology I chose for you?"

Without waiting for a reply, my brother continued,

"Hmm...this school fine sha o. See laboratory na. Even the lecture halls are to die for."

I didn't have to be told. I had been to the school a couple of times with dad and we had seen it all first hand.

"But wait o...how come you're AB na?"

And that was the question that revealed the many secrets upon which foundation our home had been built...the question that had torn my family apart.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
We took pride in the fact that we all had the same genotype and even nicknamed ourselves 'The Superiors'. We had had countless medical examinations over time for varying reasons and everytime, each one of us turned out AA.

Except this one time.

My dad released me from the hug and took the paper from Utibe's outstretched hand.

"It's definitely a mistake," he said after careful evaluation of the white sheet in his hand. "They must have faulty equipment or gave this test to be performed by a student. I hear the school us very practical inclined."

"Can we notify them immediately, dad? I mean this might cause problems for me in future," I added, unknowingly fanning the embers of a family feud well underway.

"I agree. I will. And with the letter, we could even attach anyone of the numerous medical examination reports you've had confirming you really are AA," my dad concurred.

"I think it would be better if she had a new test done. They might not readily accept one with an old date," Utibe said, shrugging.
Then he looked at me and said,
"Sorry. I know you hate needles."

"Its ok. I think it's an even better idea."

"It does make sense. I will personally take you to the hospital tomorrow okay? For now, let's just celebrate your success," my dad concluded.

For now...'now' was a pretty short time, we were soon to find out.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
Officially inviting to thread...
@beennkumar
@mondisweets
@jeffreyjamez
@princesa
@almacherish
@lolite
@cirmuell...d'you do literature? undecided
@chibwike
@silkmoth33
@jbluv55...I know you've always been here tho' and thanks smiley
Will add more names to this list as I remember.
Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Re: The Forever In 365... by chibwike(m): 6:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
alomosweets:
@beennkumar
@mondisweets
@jeffreyjamez
@princesa
@almacherish
@lolite
@chibwike
@silkmoth33
Thanks guys.
alomosweets so u re writer too..wow...just loved you more...*following*
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 07, 2014
chibwike:
alomosweets so u re writer too..wow...just loved you more...*following*
Thanks. Me sef lurve you too. grin
Re: The Forever In 365... by chibwike(m): 6:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
alomosweets:
Thanks. Me sef lurve you too. grin
Re: The Forever In 365... by cirmuell(m): 6:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
alomosweets:
@beennkumar
@mondisweets
@jeffreyjamez
@princesa
@almacherish
@lolite
@chibwike
@silkmoth33
Thanks guys.
yep, following.

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
Following

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by princesa(f): 11:33pm On Oct 07, 2014
Invitation honoured. You're doing great.
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
princesa:
Invitation honoured. You're doing great.
Eshe. cheesy
Re: The Forever In 365... by Beennkumar(m): 1:46am On Oct 08, 2014
I didn't know you were a writer. shocked

Nice story. Definitely following. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 08, 2014
My mum came back from the market about thirty minutes after the great discovery (one we all took for granted as yet). She got down to preparing my favourite dish; afang soup stocked to capacity with akpanata (a very expensive type of fish...it actually translates "only first sons eat" ) and fufu.

Mum would always be mum. Celebration or no celebration, her kids had to help in the kitchen. My brother was very reluctant in doing so because he didn't like the food mun was about to prepare. Eating afang soup usually gave him the stomachs and he reminded mum but she was hearing none of it. He had to help, was all.

Whenever he slacked or started to grumble, mum would put him back on course with a very good scolding. By the time we settled to our meal, my brother had had enough for one night. He just sat there, staring blankly at his food and seething inwardly.

"Sob idi! Eat your food now!"
Be quick.

It was obligatory in our house that everybody eat together. My parents thought it heightened the sense of unity amongst family members. If only they had known eating together, or doing everything together for that matter, did not guarantee family unity...

In any case, my mother was back to shouting orders and it didn't quite go down well with Utibe.

"I'm not going to."
Utibe spoke in a low, guttural growl.

"You will not take that tone with your mother, young man," dad corrected.

"No, let him talk to me whichever way he wants. Etuk ek' ime akpu aju."
A small mother does not give birth to a big child.

I could hardly keep from laughing whenever she said that and that moment, I had indeed had a laugh. Seeing my parents' eyes had moved in my direction, I swallowed the remainder of my howling and focused on the plates before me.

"You've been screaming at me all evening and now, I'm out of nerves. This food makes me sick and you know it. You won't make me eat it unless you want me to go with Utin to the hospital tomorrow," Utibe said, his eyes directly meeting mum's.

He looked people in the eye whenever he felt strongly. Ignoring him, mum turned to look at me and inquired about the said hospital trip.

"You're going to the hospital?"

"Yes mum."

For a second there, I thought I saw an emotion cloud her already dark countenance. Was it fear...or concern?

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by zyzxx(m): 4:58pm On Oct 08, 2014
following
nice story. Welldone

1 Like

Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
zyzxx:
following
nice story. Welldone
Thanks loads. cool
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2014
Casanova019, I see you peeping. grin tongue
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
alomosweets:
Casanova019, I see you peeping. grin tongue
Lmao. #SpyBurster.

Wanted to be a silent observer; followed already. Your writing skills are truly commendable. grin
Re: The Forever In 365... by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2014
"Mum, I'm not sick. It's something about..."

"I'm gonna go to my room now. Can I, mum?"

It was more of a statement daring her to stop him than a permission seeking question. Mum didn't answer. Her mind seemed too occupied with other things for her to notice. Utibe immediately pushed his chair back noisily and stomped angrily away from the dining table. My gaze and dad's rested on him until he got out of sight. I looked at dad. He remained silent. I knew Utibe was gonna get it. And hot. I looked at mum and met her unflinching stare. She expected me to say something and I knew exactly what.

"The school's medical crew made an error in my blood test. I'm going to be re-examined tomorrow."

The fear-concern expression flickered again. What did she have to be afraid of? I just told her I wasn't sick. She probably hated needles too, I thought.

"I'll take you," she said.

"You don't have to. Dad's already said he would," I told her.

"Yes, I'd like a day out with my girl tomorrow."

Dad looked at me and smiled, his mouth full of that sea sugar, akpanata.

"I wanna take her. Besides, I have to see someone at the hospital tomorrow. You can just attend to other matters while we're away and have some time with her after we get back. I mean, we won't take long," mum argued.

"Actually, I was hoping dad would take me. There's a wing of the hospital that bears his name and he's never been to it. I wanna be the first to..."

"You're going with me to the hospital tomorrow and that's final!"

Mum didn't have to scream but she did. She didn't have to take me to the hospital but she obviously felt as though she had to. Many things were odd about mum that night. Did it have anything to do with the tricks her face played on me whenever my trip to the hospital was mentioned?

"Don't fool yourself by thinking you wear the pants in this house. I'm taking Utin to the hospital tomorrow. Now that IS final."

He was visibly upset. I watched him down all the water left in his glass and leave me and mum at the dining table.

"She's my daughter too. I can take her wherever I want and whenever. You can't just book spaces. She's not an event centre," she shouted back at dad.

You can't just come from nowhere and cancel my appointments either, I thought.

"She's my daughter...our daughter...our daughter."

She was sobbing quietly now. Something sure was up. I had lost my appetite. Apparently, so had mum.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bibliophobia; The Moribund Art Of Reading / Looking For This Book : The Second Chance By Nyengi Koin 1986 / Life Of A Lesbian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.