Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree (6136 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Girl Bags First Class From A UK University / Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / Eksu Best Graduating Student Bags Automatic Employment. (2) (3) (4)

Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by opestein: 10:11am On Oct 06, 2014
fellow nairalanders, is it necessary for a first class student to go for masters? I was arguing with my friends so I'm not sure
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 06, 2014
Because one is awarded first class does not mean one has learned every thing in school, guy it's very necessary , I hope u are sure now cool

Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by since2005(f): 10:15am On Oct 06, 2014
Ofcouse you have to
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by opestein: 10:26am On Oct 06, 2014
alright, tanks
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:27am On Oct 06, 2014
Yes, its needed
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Varagous(f): 10:39am On Oct 06, 2014
YES...especialy if u are goin into d academia.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by rattlesnake(m): 1:21pm On Oct 06, 2014
Nope since u gat first class

Just walk into chevron and pick a seat and ask for your monthly salary

Ote undecided

Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Piloeternity(m): 1:28pm On Oct 06, 2014
Is like u are saying, if after eating amala n egusi that should that hands be washed?
My broda, in Nigeria of today masters is needed even a Ph.d. will be very ok...

*my thought* Even all the GOs of famous churches in Nigeria have Ph.d.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by DaWorshiper(m): 1:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
Are u a learner??

Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 06, 2014
You can skip masters and do your Ph.d immediately. So I heard.

Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by WoodcrestMayor(m): 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2014
I agree...itz vewi possible.U go do am wit scholarship sef.
chukwuma101:
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Karleb(m): 3:40pm On Oct 06, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
I agree...itz vewi possible.U go do am wit scholarship sef.

how true is this?
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Project400: 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2014
chukwuma101:
Absolutely right.

ADMISSION INTO UNIBEN/AERC COLLABORATIVE PH.D PROGRAMME IN ECONOMICS
The University of Benin in collaboration with the African /Economic Research Consortium, Nairobi, Kenya, wishes to announce the admission of students into the collaborative Ph.D Programme in Economics for the 2014/2015 session. The programme is designed to train a cadre of highly qualified teachers and researchers in Economics.

ELIGILIBILITY:
The programme at the University of Benin is open to nationals of English-speaking West Africa Countries (Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Gambia). Candidates may be self-sponsored or sponsored by public sector institutions and/or research organizations engaged in research and training in Economics and those whose primary mandate is economic management in eligible countries.

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS :
Entry in the collaborative programme shall be on a competitive basis. Candidates must meet the following requirements:

· A good First Degree (First Class or Second Class Upper or its equivalent) in Economics from recognized University.

· A Masters Degree in Economics with a course work component from a recognized University (M.Sc. or M.Phil).

· A weighted average score of 60% or a letter average ‘B’ in the Masters Degree.

http://www.uniben.edu/news/admission-postgraduate-programmes-20142015-academic-session

Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2014
100% true.
Not all programmes give u dis kinda option tho.
Do an extensive search on universities of your choice.

N.B. U won't see it there plainly.U nid to look thru d requiremnts of the programme.Only there will u find d waiver if applicable.
Cheers
Karleb:

how true is this?
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
I think so
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 06, 2014
Is very necessary,aside improvement in academics acquisition,it also give you an edge over other competitors in the labor market.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Geenet: 5:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
Sure its necessary
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by GboyegaD(m): 4:30am On Oct 10, 2014
opestein:
fellow nairalanders, is it necessary for a first class student to go for masters? I was arguing with my friends so I'm not sure

In Nigeria, I don't think it is possible however, in the Western World, it is very VERY POSSIBLE.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Venerable612(m): 7:49am On Oct 10, 2014
Yeap.. U dnt nid maste's bro. Dough nt sure abt Nigerian Uni's

av a broda doin his Phd presently in hongkong. Had a firstclass in Civil Engineering last yr frm Eksu.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by sutst: 10:15am On Oct 10, 2014
pls can a 2.2 with master apply for a job dat says minimum of 2.1
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by osifred(m): 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2014
When the system was academic oriented having a first class could put the world literally at your feet. You are sure of immediate employment from your institution of study or a multinational, you could proceed straight and do a PhD boycotting masters. But I think times have changed the world is now entertainment oriented and almost nobody cares if you made a first class.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Harmthe(m): 1:06pm On Oct 10, 2014
learning
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by DJMONACO(m): 2:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
unless u make 5.0cgpa then u can move straight to phD
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by DJMONACO(m): 2:08pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by adepink(f): 3:00pm On Oct 10, 2014
right now in my dear country, PhD is d in thing. MSC is becoming old school

Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by esere826: 4:09pm On Oct 10, 2014
opestein:
Your question is not quite precise
It depends on where the person is coming from and where the person intends to go to.

-If ur first class is from kpokpo gari university and you want to get high flying jobs in cool organisations, then you need a masters from a good university, and ur degree will easily get you admitted in a good one
-1st class from kpokpo gari university won't get you into phd in a good top university straight away. U'd need a masters first
-first class from a fairly good to very good university will get you into a phd straight away. It can even guarantee you a phd scholarship from a fairly good university and maybe from a top university

-1st class from a kpokpo gari university can get you a masters scholarship in a fairly good or very good university. If you also ace your masters, then you can quite easily get a phd scholarship to the topmost world universities.

So back to the question "is it necessary for a first class student to go for masters?"
Answer: It depends
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by joshbouy(m): 4:33pm On Oct 10, 2014
Please I have a question Which is not related to this?
can someone with a Gp of 2.478 (100l) & 4 year course still make a first class or probably a 4 point Gp??
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by alentyno: 6:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
esere826:

It depends on where the person is coming from and where the person intends to go to.

-If ur first class is from kpokpo gari university and you want to get high flying jobs in cool organisations, then you need a masters from a good university, and ur degree will easily get you admitted in a good one
-1st class from kpokpo gari university won't get you into phd in a good top university straight away. U'd need a masters first
-first class from a fairly good to very good university will get you into a phd straight away. It can even guarantee you a phd scholarship from a fairly good university and maybe from a top university

-1st class from a kpokpo gari university can get you a masters scholarship in a fairly good or very good university. If you also ace your masters, then you can quite easily get a phd scholarship to the topmost world universities.

So back to the question "is it necessary for a first class student to go for masters?"
By kpokpo garri universities you mean state unis? And by the non-kpokpo garri do you mean 1st generation unis like ABU? UNN? OAU? I had like to know.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by tellwisdom: 6:22pm On Oct 10, 2014
First class for those yeye schools in nigeria??..
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 10, 2014
esere826:

You got my ribs cracking with this 'kpokpo gari' unis...
Be specific pls

Though I understood wat u meant
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by GboyegaD(m): 6:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
joshbouy:
Please I have a question Which is not related to this?
can someone with a Gp of 2.478 (100l) & 4 year course still make a first class or probably a 4 point Gp??

You can sure make a 4 point however 1st Class Wil be tough.
Re: Is Masters Needed After A Student Bags First Class Degree by esere826: 9:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
donvidar:

You got my ribs cracking with this 'kpokpo gari' unis...
Be specific pls

Though I understood wat u meant
alentyno:

By kpokpo garri universities you mean state unis? And by the non-kpokpo garri do you mean 1st generation unis like ABU? UNN? OAU? I had like to know.

ABU, UNN, and OAU are definitely not kpokpo gari universities
as per the kpokpo gari ones, I have no specific comments

but when you drive through a university and you are still looking for it
then it sure is a kpokpo gari university

2012/2013 Unilorin And Kwasu Admissions!!! Drop Your Questions Here / Can You Unravel The Number? (puzzle) / Unilag: Most Recent Price List Of Affordable Hostels Around School For 2018/2019