Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,135 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? (1554 Views)

Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) / Washing Your Car With A Pressure Washer? / Why Are Cars Still Costly In Nig. After The Lift Of Ban On Tokunbo Cars By Fg? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? by bravolad(m): 10:32am On Oct 06, 2014
I know some people would be wondering; why this question? On several occasions over the years, while washing my car, some of my neighbours would be asking me, jokingly though; why don't you take your car to the car wash? Some would cynically say; you do not want operators of car wash to feed? Yet others would suggest you are stingy.

They say all manner of things to you through jokes but in the process pass strong messages. I remember on one occasion whilst changing the engine oil and filter of my camry by myself, a neighbour of mine asked; why don't you resign from your paid employment and establish a mechanic workshop? My response to him was that I need not resign my employment but that I love to carry out little repairs that I can comfortably do by myself. I feel a level of satisfaction once I accomplish a certain task in my car. Through research and observations, I have learnt a lot and can troubleshoot some symptoms in my vehicle. This also extends to some home repairs, I do them myself.

Even some of my friends, often times, make mockery of me when they see me wash my car. They say they would bring their cars so I can help them to wash it. My response has always been provided they can pay. Washing my car could take upto 2-3 hours especially when I have to wash the engine bay. I prefer to wash my car because it gives me joy, it's part of exercise and I do it better than most car wash centers.

I also realise that a lot of car owners feel too big to engage in the act of washing their cars themselves. A colleague of mine once told me that he can never condescend to washing his car. If his girl friend sees him doing it...how would she perceive him? I was extremely appalled at that statement. I have seen some well established guys carrying out repairs in their cars themselves. They are happy doing it.

While some do not want to get dirty, others feel they are too big to be seen doing that. No wonder many car owners do not understand anything about the car they drive everyday. I met a man at the bank last week who had a flat tyre struggling to loose the bolts. As I drove pass him, he gently approached me and asked; Please how do I loose the bolt? Do I turn the wheel spanner left or right? Of course, I parked and helped him loose it.

When it comes to automobiles, a lot of people here are greenhorns. Little wonders then, mechanics are the ones recommending engine oil and ATF to owners when the vehicles come with manuals. Even something as little as bumper whose bolts and pins holding it has fallen off can be fixed by owners without consulting a panel beater.

So fellow nairalanders, what is your take on this? Do you think it's right for owners to learn to fix certain aspects of their vehicles irrespective of their financial standing and positions in offices?

3 Likes

Re: Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? by erico2k2(m): 11:39am On Oct 06, 2014
ofcos, its called DIY,I do mine myself, even when I am in Nigeria, I wash my car and my Wife's car, I see it as basic exercise, I take pride in cleaning my car and fixing the fixable bits.Asper neighbours, who give a flying monk

1 Like

Re: Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? by lonelydora: 12:00pm On Oct 06, 2014
I enjoy washing my car myself, but most times ask my gateman to do the washing because he is paid.

My neigbours also nake mockery of me whenever they see me dressed in coverall doing one thing or the other under the car like fixing bottom plate plastic cover, tracing oil leaks, fixing bumper bolts, troubleshooting noise.

My next door neigbour who owns a 2007 Accord these days comes to me for advice because he understands that it is not a big boy thing.

Doing certain things yourself makes you learn more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? by instinctg(m): 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2014
I see nothing wrong in it ,after all most so called big boys wud gladly wash other peoples cars abroad for a living.

l don't need to pay for any service that I can carry out myself. life's not a bed of roses .

2 Likes

Re: Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? by danadam(m): 6:00pm On Oct 06, 2014
I wash my car if I have the time. when I'm occupied I drive down to a car wash..... but there's a certain joy and satisfaction i derive when I do it myself. I always have a feeling that the guys at the car wash can't do it better than myself. As for other mechanical DIY, the best i've done so far is to change some dead bulbs and replacing the weak car horn.
Re: Washing Your Cars By Yourself, How Do Your Neighbours & Friends React To This? by alphaconde(m): 7:59pm On Oct 06, 2014
I also do feel I can never take my car to cash wash except I have no choice, in the past I didn't get the satisfaction I wanted from them, am begining to feel same for dry cleaners.

(1) (Reply)

Check Out These Gyroscopic Transportation For The Future / How Important Is The Catalytic Converter / Hyundai Elantra 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.