Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,684 members, 7,831,125 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Our Iphone 3g Review - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Our Iphone 3g Review (1902 Views)

Blackberry Co-founder: Our Iphone Rival Had A 100% Return Rate / Official Iphone Unlocking Service (Iphone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s, 5, Ipad) All Network / Iphone 3g S - Can This Phone Be Unlocked In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Iphone 3g Review by acurashop: 8:13am On Nov 10, 2008
**Disclaimer*** By writing this review, We are in no way promoting the iphone nor saying it is better than any other make or model of phone out there. We are simply just giving our review of the product. *********

Greetings all,
We just got our hands on a batch of Iphone 3g's. The phones were ordered directly from the
ATT shop. Each phone comes locked by the manufacturer but we are able to "unlock" them using "turbochips" (looks like a sim card but much slimmer). The phones were easily unlocked by placing the turbochip over our local nigerian sim cards and sliding them into the phone. Voila, instant unlocking.

Externally, the iphone is a beauty to behold. The model being tested was a white 16GB. The phone is slim enough to be slide into your shirt or jean pockets comfortably. Being a hardcore blackberry user, i'd gotten used to the straightforward, all about productivity look and feel of the blackberry. However it was a breath of fresh air to see the colorful & vibrant icons.
Using the iphone is a breeze. With a flick of your finger, you can instantly scroll through the "pages" of your phone viewing the different applications. The ipod feature is really cool. The iphone has a unique "Album cover" view that lets u flick through the album covers until you find which one you are looking for. The touchscreen does live up to the hype. However i highly advise that you purchase a screen guard for your phone to avoid scratching the screen and prevent fingerprint smudges.
Retreiving your e-mails is a walk in the park. The iphone makes it very simple to setup. Setting up gmail on iphone barely took us 2 minutes and all our emails were instantly downloaded. Multiple email accts can be setup.
The internet is also quite easy to use. Once we put in the gprs settings of MTN into the phone, the Safari browser was able to browse to any website out there providing us with the FULL view of the webpage and not the cropped cellphone view. With the flick of your finger, you are also able to zoom and scroll through the pages.

Overall, the Iphone is a masterpiece to behold. The Apple team deserves some credit for stepping outside the box and creating something different from the norm. It is a breathe of fresh air to see this innovation and we can only hope that other manufacturers step up to the plate and give the consumers more value for their money.
In review:
PROS: Sleek design. Stylish
Easy to use, Original interface
Ipod software is a great addition

CONS: Onscreen Keyboard takes some getting used to. Could be annoying for people with larger sized fingers.
Cannot cut, copy or paste text while composing emails or sms.

Cheers
The Acura Shop
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by zaibatsu(m): 8:41am On Nov 10, 2008
Add to the cons:
No b/tooth OBEX profile.
No multitasking.
Ridiculous price (but then Apple fans are a tad masochistic in that respect).
Oh, did i mention that it's carrier locked in your own best interest.
Steve Jobs could wrap a turd and sell it to his fans as a piece of moon rock!
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by texazzpete(m): 1:20pm On Nov 10, 2008
@Poster
All the features yo mentioned are available to the first gen iPhone which is now over a year old. I fail to see how this is a new 'review' since you did not even touch on 3G or the A-GPS.
Reviews without photos are lame.

zaibatsu:

Add to the cons:
No b/tooth OBEX profile.
Agreed

zaibatsu:

No multitasking.

Anyone savvy enough to multitask can install 'Backgrounder' from Installer/Cydia to run apps in the background.

zaibatsu:

Ridiculous price (but then Apple fans are a tad masochistic in that respect).

Compared to the $800+ N96 and HTC TyTN II, it's not stand-out expensive.

zaibatsu:

Oh, did i mention that it's carrier locked in your own best interest.

Both the 3G and the 1st Gen iPhones are unlockable and can be used worldwide. How is carrier lock a flaw in a phone?

zaibatsu:

Steve Jobs could wrap a turd and sell it to his fans as a piece of moon rock!

Funny thing is, this 'turd' comment is usually used by people who have never used an iPhone before.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 2:23pm On Nov 10, 2008
jesus

is someone somewhere mass producing know-nothing idiots?

blackberry storm will be locked to verizon and telus in the uk and canada respectively. and the phone doesnt even have wifi or triband hsdpa.

the g1 android based phone is exclusively locked to tmobile

htc diamond will be locked to sprint

so many others and this has been going on before the iphone, but i guess since its apple, it must be evil./

meanwhile the lacks on the iphone outdo the features on tons of others out there and so far none seems imminent on unseating the iphone from its perch. despite the endless clones and wannabes.

yah it sucks not having bluetooth ftp, or mms etc. but the ease of use and interface far outweighs those lacks.

and dude, its not steve jobs selling these things; lots of people dont watch macworld or wwdc to see jobs pitching his wares. some cant even tell steve jobs from steve perry.

these things sell themselves.

but like they say, if you want to know more,

GET A MAC.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by zaibatsu(m): 12:29am On Nov 11, 2008
Temper, temper Ex. Just take a deep breath,
Now tell me you don't feel better already.
Nice replies Tex and don't get me wrong the iphone is definitely not a turd.
Geez! Talk about loyalty.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 12:41am On Nov 11, 2008
yah, it riles me when your type suggest all apple customers are blind drooling stupid senseless fanboys hypnotised by jobs' reality distortion field, as they call it, mutely handing over cash for essentially apple-logo'd bricks.

dude, i'll feel more like an idiot buying a turd-brown Zune, say, than i would buying an iphone.

i dont ever remember running into steve jobs in Apple Store, or online in MacMall, so i cant see how he can sell me moonrocks, or anything really.

someone seems to feel this way:

"iPhone 3G overtakes the RAZR as best-selling domestic handset"

"According to a report from NPD, sales of cellphones have shifted in a manner which should shock and stun even a casual observer. Apparently for the first time in years, Motorola's ubiquitous RAZR has been overtaken in consumer sales, by the iPhone 3G. This is a watershed moment for handset sales in the US, marking not only a shift away from the dominant market leader, but a turn towards more complex, full-featured devices. The news comes hot on the heels of NPD's previous findings, which still placed the RAZR in the top spot -- though with ever-decreasing numbers. In that same report, the iPhone found itself in second place, but it appears that flagging interest in the inescapable dumbphone coupled with the recent iPhone PR blitz have put Apple's moneymaker into the top position. The news is also buoyed by recent reports that Apple has overtaken RIM as the number two smartphone vendor, and a J.D. Power study which found affection for the device waxing in the extreme. Overall, however, handset sales fell 15 percent year-over-year, and LG managed to snag the top brand position, with two models in the top five. Still, if there already wasn't a clear indication of the market moving towards both smartphones and touchscreen devices, this should give everyone a clearer picture of both the public's wants, and the power of Cupertino's ad-men."

http://www.engadget.com/page/2/

meanwhile Tezz, it seems the dude behind Cydia (jay freeman aka saurik) has installed Debian Linux on a jailbroken android G1.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by BossTtdiamonds(m): 3:12am On Nov 11, 2008
Texxaz. . Do u work 4 apple. .
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by zaibatsu(m): 9:19am On Nov 11, 2008
Yawn, Bigger yawn.
Ex, do me one itsy bitsy favor. Read Ulanoff's article in PC Mag 10/08; page 9.
It might help you loosen up a bit.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 9:57am On Nov 11, 2008
PC Mag? since when does the windows-ruled PC world has anything nice to say about the competition? however i do remember reading in some pc mag of 2007 mr ulanoff saying the iphone would fly when his boss predicted the phone would flop, the same issue ulanoff took over as editor.

i don't need a mr ulanoff to tell me what sort of satisfaction i get buying apple stuff, thank you ver much. i think my common sense would suffice.

hey, lets not reduce this to another pissing contest; i see things your way: we apple consumers are mindless zombies always looking out to buy the next apple branded shrink-wrapped pile of dog turd and we have a collective penchant for worshipping the ground steve jobs pisses on.

so there. happy now?
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:06am On Nov 11, 2008
Iphone users. . . Anytime dudes talk ill 'bout ur phone. . U guys always go haywire, . . . . . I'd gladly love to know why that is. . . Texxaz. . . I nid answers 4rm u. .
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by texazzpete(m): 1:54pm On Nov 11, 2008
Boss Ttdiamonds:

Iphone users. . . Anytime dudes talk ill 'bout ur phone. . U guys always go haywire, . . . . . I'd gladly love to know why that is. . . Texxaz. . . I nid answers from u. .

Because naturally human beings hate it when people talk boldly from a position of s hanignorance. 95% of the people who diss the iPhone have never used it or have never spent any reasonable time with the device.
FIne, it lacks some features found in other phones like Bluetooth file transfer and MMS support (natively). But it more than makes up for these omissions with quality features way ahead of the competition.
It's not hard to forget the lack of bluetooth transfer when the trade-off is a superb mobile browser and the best iPod in existence. As an all-in-one convergence device, the iPhone is supreme. When you cue in the excellent apps found on the iphone Appstore, then you'll get a superb phone.

As a gaming device, what other mobile phone touches the iPhone? Not even the Ngage.

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by BossTtdiamonds(m): 1:59pm On Nov 11, 2008
. . . Texazzpete. . Do u know anyone named Migines. . . . . . . . . . . .ok wait till my headache's gone. . Then we'll have a long talk. .
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by texazzpete(m): 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2008
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by BossTtdiamonds(m): 2:07pm On Nov 11, 2008
Nothin' . . .
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by zaibatsu(m): 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2008
Wow Tex wazzat? Looks like Project Gotham Racing. Why did you have to come with your reasonable arguments? You've ruined my day; i mean Ex was already foaming at the mouth. Next time maybe.
Nice screenshots by the way but no iphone for me.
There's just too much Apple could fix in a blink but they just won't. Quite a few of the iphone's issues could be fixed with a firmware upgrade. Its like a three wheeled Veyron.
@Ex
I first used an Apple when they had those Motorola RISC thingies in them.
Its just too much fun to yank your chain and wait for you to massacre your keyboard in response. Lighten up man! The Mac is first and foremost a PC. I found that out a long time ago; you should too.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2008
grin " yanking my chain and --"

funny.

unfortunately you cannot see my lightheartedness in all this; its either the distance or something else.

maybe im just plain weary about going on about how the iphone is still cool in spite of the shortcomings. is there such a thing as a perfect device? remember porting contacts from sim, sms multicasting, contacts search and third party apps were absent in the early firmware but later apple added all these features. perhaps down the road all the things missing in the iphone will be part of some upgrade, maybe firmware 3.0.

me, i dont miss bluetooth or mms all that much; i hardly use either in all the phones i own. i get my music online and the whole catalog reside on my computers so it makes some sense syncing. and i can count the number of people i know using mms on three fingers.

but thats just me right?

anyway:

Kroll, a pseudo-3D side scrolling platformer.

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 5:39pm On Nov 11, 2008
Bugdom2, a full 3D free roaming adventure.

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2008
nanosaur 2

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by texazzpete(m): 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2008
Fastlane Street Racing

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtctHTHhlmg&hl[/flash]
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2008
crash nitro cart

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2008
Real Soccer 2009

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 6:27pm On Nov 11, 2008
Google Earth (not a game)

me neighborhood

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:05pm On Nov 11, 2008
Asphalt Elite 4

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:05pm On Nov 11, 2008
moto chaser

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:11pm On Nov 11, 2008
Super Monkey Ball

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by just2nice(m): 7:18pm On Nov 11, 2008
Geez!The game graphics are stunning,mehn.I am now having a re-think of the iPhone.I will certainly go for it next year.
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:22pm On Nov 11, 2008
to demo the power of the iphone here is an app called iTracer. anyone familiar with 3D modelling will no doubt know RayTracing. its a technique for rendering 3D objects by tracing the rays of light bouncing off it to the light source (ie working in reverse). this is great for alphachanelling where you get this cool translucent/glass effects and refractions.

needless to say its hard on the modeller and the machine, with some multi core machines taking as long as 3 hours to render one complex high res object using this method (the game engine I'm using takes 12 hours to render one floor level with no ray tracing; i use light maps and bumps).

anyway this app traces and renders in 6 seconds, though admittedly the light rays are  not too diffused and the objetc is fairly basic.

here is the object.

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2008
the basic mesh being rendered by tracing the light rays to the virtual light source

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2008
our geometry rendered as a reflective object.

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:35pm On Nov 11, 2008
our fully refractive geometry. see how the light bounces, curves and reflects? total render time, 5 seconds.

on a celeron 1.6ghz 512mb Sis chipset with 32mb Vram, this will probaly take a minute or more.

Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by Fadajasi(m): 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2008
@just2nice,have u gotten the 7days?
Re: Our Iphone 3g Review by ExInferis(m): 7:48pm On Nov 11, 2008
@Texazzpete

here's AppShare being put trhough its paces.

are you sure you no go try? saves you from all that syncing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Click Here If Your Symbian Phone Is Showing Certificate Error While Installing / Unveiling Infinix Hot From Its Pack And Quick Review Video / How To Get Music Plus 150mb For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.