Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? (5224 Views)

What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? / Have You Ever Witnessed A Person Turning Into A Animal/yam Etc / How Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky? No Tribalism Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? by assalaamat(m): 6:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
I've been hearing this since i was a kid that,a person dies whenever a star falls from the sky. It happened right in my face this evening at exactly 6:37pm, i saw a very bright star fall from the sky, and i was like someone has died! Is it real or a mere superstition?
Re: Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? by 76Naira(m): 7:46pm On Oct 07, 2014
Where did the star fall to? In the context of extraterrestrial bodies, where is up & where is down?
Gravity pins us to the earth's surface & impairs our judgement of spatial positioning as well as orientation.
The ISS just above the earth & beyond the active earth's gravitational field would be a unique place to understand that there is no up or down out there. Up or down only happens when you bias the judgement by the influence of a localized gravitational pull.

Also, if a star where to fall to the earth, lets say that is plausible, we would be history!

1 Like

Re: Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? by VantagePoint: 8:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
The smallest star is a hundred times bigger than our planet Earth.
Stars don't fall from the sky ; infact nothing does
Re: Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? by gise: 4:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
People die every day and people are born every day stars do not fall stars are huge if star de fall e no be well fa dis eht we all go bun up
Re: Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky? by LewsTherin: 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2014
What you call a star falling from the sky aka a shooting star, is simply a small piece of something (usually a rock in space aka a meteorite or a piece of space junk) burning up as it enters the earth's atmosphere. Space is wierd, there's no up or down or left or right. Everything is relative to everything else. Plus, everything is moving - at different speeds in different directions relative to each other. So when a piece of rock which is moving at high speed relative to the earth now enters the atmosphere, the force of the air slowing the rock down makes it get hot (rub your palms together vigorously and feel it get hot. Same thing) when it gets hot enough, it begins to glow as it burns. It's that burning hlow we see as a "falling star"

Meteorites hit the earth constantly, all the time and people die constantly, all the time so statistically, someone could be dying everytime there's a shooting star. But then, people die at other times too. So, definitely no correlation

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Like About Pidgin English? / Lost Jewish Tribe 'found In Zimbabwe/South Africa'- The Real Black Jews / How To Memorise The Seniority Of The 16 Odus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.