Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,285 members, 7,864,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:57 PM

Will One Of These Five Women Be The First Elected Nigerian Female Governor? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will One Of These Five Women Be The First Elected Nigerian Female Governor? (924 Views)

Profile of Aisha-jummai Alhassan Nigerias' First Elected Female Governor. / Aisha Jummai-Alhassan 1st Elected Female Governor As Tribunal Sacks Ishaku / Sen. Jummai Alhassan Set To Become First Elected Female Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will One Of These Five Women Be The First Elected Nigerian Female Governor? by finessela: 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2014
Gbemisola Saraki, former senator and younger sister of former governor of Kwara State, Bukola Saraki, has announced her decision to run for the position of Kwara State governor in February 2015. She will be running on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

She will be joining the list of women at the forefront in the race to becoming Nigeria’s first elected female governor.

Olakunle Olayinka in his article on Guardian, reviwed the profile of some of the likely history makers:

Senator Helen Esuene, is a sitting Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing AkwaIbom South and is a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). She has served in various ministerial capacities under different administrations as; Minister of State for Health (2005 – 2006), Minster of Environment (2006 – 2007), Minister of Environment and Housing (2007). She has made very clear her intentions to replace GodswillAkpabio as the next Governor of Akwa Ibom and hopes to bring change to the state.

Dr. Ngozi Olejeme is a Nigerian philanthropist, entrepreneur, politician and administrator. Dr. Olejeme presently sits as the chairman of the board of the National Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF), Subsidy Reinvestment Program (SURE P) and Trust Fund Pensions PLC. She is also a member of several other corporate boards. Dr. Olejeme is strongly being touted as the successor to the out-going Edo State Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan and has been backed by a great proportion of Delta indigenes at home and abroad. She is vying for the post of Delta Governorship position on the platform of the PDP and appears to be garnering supporters in droves daily. She appears a very strong candidate for the post by all indications and cannot be taken lightly by other contenders.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa: A known media doyen who had worked with the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Abike Dabiri-Erewa has advanced her political career greatly in recent years. She is a sitting member of the House of Representatives, representing Ikorodu constituency in Lagos State and is presently serving her third term as a House member. She was formerly the Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Publicity and is presently, Chairman, House Committee on Diaspora Affairs and has won several local as well as international awards for her effectiveness in this role. Described while being presented with the Diaspora Bridge builders Award in Washington recently, “as a virtuous, respected, trustworthy, courteous woman with strong values, demonstrated ability to achieve results and a woman worthy of emulation”. She is very well known for her commitment to justice and is also strongly being touted as a possible successor to Governor Fashola on the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC). All eyes are particularly on Lagos, to set the pace as it has always done. Though Abike Dabiri Erewa has not formerly declared her intention to run she had told a group of young Nigerians, who had a social media interactive session with her. “I don’t doubt my capacity and capability. Sometimes people say to me, you are very good but you are a woman. There are still challenges for women in politics in Nigeria but we must not be discouraged. Consultations are ongoing; ultimately it will be my party, APC’s decision”

Senator Nkechi Nwaogwu is a sitting Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Abia State at the National Assembly on the platform of the PDP. An ersthwhile professional, Senator Nwaogowu was an astute banker before venturing into the murky waters of Nigerian politics where she has excelled greatly. She has served as chairman of various committees making visible change and impacting on the society. She is presently chairman of the Upper House Committee on Banking. She is by no means a stranger to blazing the trail; having been the first woman to win a seat from Abia state both at the House and subsequently the Senate. In her words “if my party would support me, I will run for the post of governorship. It is my aspiration, my desire”. She hopes to succeed Governor Theodore Orji on the platform of the PDP. field for all aspirants. Party primaries are just around the corner with the heat cooking in the kitchen of the various parties. Consultations, dealings, and all the usual politicking are in high gear. We can only hope that whether man, woman, old or young our political parties would present candidates with a credible pedigree with the capacity and wherewithal to implement positive change. Who will make history with Nigeria’s first elected female governor? APC or PDP? Only time will tell.

Read full article here, copied from www.femmelounge.ng
Re: Will One Of These Five Women Be The First Elected Nigerian Female Governor? by mainheart(m): 3:01pm On Oct 08, 2014
Helen esuene is the most incompetent one to be a governor among 5 of them, even to be a local government councillor
Re: Will One Of These Five Women Be The First Elected Nigerian Female Governor? by capricun: 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2014
The annoying thing is that even women would not vote for them

1 Like

Re: Will One Of These Five Women Be The First Elected Nigerian Female Governor? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 08, 2014
capricun:
The annoying thing is that even women would not vote for them
that's the sad part my brother. i'll vote 4 Abike Dabiri if she gets a ticket. She's proactive and humane

(1) (Reply)

Adamawa : Another Deft And Sagacious President Jonathan / Another Fours Years Of Pdp’ll Destroy Nigeria -buhari. / I’m Not A Religious Fanatic —buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.